PDA

View Full Version : Local knowledge

pt
29-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm looking at moving down to Melbourne next year and have to start applying for jobs soon so need some advice on wheres best to live.

I'm a nurse so it's gotta be close to hospitals and i have a list so far of hospitals that i want to work at.

so far:
Royal Melbourne, The Alfred, Austin, Monash, St Vincents, The Epworth.

i know most of them are close to the city (maybe not so much the austin) but keeping in mind need to be within 15 minutes drive, what area would be the pick of the bunch?

and for anyone who knows (patient experience or otherwise) any yays or nays on the hospitals?

coming from sydney so anythings an upgrade[:p]

cheers
Pete

oldskool
29-05-2008, 11:39 PM
St Kilda, Elwood, Richmond keep away from Prahan unless your a gay nurse. :D

HueyonaBlade
30-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Fark me mate you are talking big money no matter which hospital you choose to work from they are all in high quality areas and 15 mins drive isnt going to get you that far from town. I'll try and see if I can dig up a map and give you a pic of the hospitals and there location so that you might be able to have a look on the net to see some real estate agents costs

HueyonaBlade
30-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Oh and the pick I'd say would have to be Epworth , St Vinnies and the Alfred stay away from the Royal , just my bad experiences creeping in

pt
30-05-2008, 01:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by oldskool

don't worry, toorak rd is not my scene. don't think you'd see many streetfighters around there.....[:p]

pt
30-05-2008, 01:52 PM
and what about the austin and monash? they aren't so close to town....?

scotty
30-05-2008, 01:52 PM

And he would no:D[8D]:D

HueyonaBlade
30-05-2008, 09:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

and what about the austin and monash? they aren't so close to town....?

Mate the only reason I could see that you would want to work at the Austin is cause Vic wreck is about 5 mins away[:p] no but seriously its still all pretty expensive around there except of cause for West Heidleburg ( the old olympic village ) housing comission, not really sure of your finances though of course[^]

oldskool
31-05-2008, 12:36 AM
If you buy from vic wreck your a putts!

Booster
31-05-2008, 08:47 AM
They have the range but i usually buy from metro and freight to vic cheaper than buying from vic wreck.
speaking as a previous patient the Austin , still lots of older outer suburbia type houses available and your closer to the outskirts but if you want waves its the wrong direction.

pt
31-05-2008, 02:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

They have the range but i usually buy from metro and freight to vic cheaper than buying from vic wreck.
speaking as a previous patient the Austin , still lots of older outer suburbia type houses available and your closer to the outskirts but if you want waves its the wrong direction.

waves as in ocean waves, or another type of wave? yeah been seeing alot of freestanding places for rent in the suburbs around. will probably have a couple of others to rent with to make it a bit more affordable. looking at between 150-200 a week rent each. seems easily doable in heidelberg, fairfield, ivanhoe? not really that close to the city, but close to the eastern freeway?

PS: whats so bad about the Austin? and would like to hear of bad experiences at the poyal melbourne too. systemic issues or just some bitch nurse/dick of a doctor?

Booster
31-05-2008, 03:14 PM
My shorthand was a bit vauge ,, Austin was good as a patient , if i binned badly again i would have that as my first preference.

oldskool
31-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Its also a cunt of a side of the city, spot the ozy[:0]
The otherside of melb south east has nicer house's and the beach which in the summer means chicks and a great party atmosphere ,house's are well priced and an allround better atmosphere[8D]

KATO ZX7
31-05-2008, 05:37 PM

The otherside of melb south east has nicer house's and the beach which in the summer means chicks and a great party atmosphere ,house's are well priced and an allround better atmosphere[8D]
Correctamondo :D:D

pt
31-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Its also a cunt of a side of the city, spot the ozy[:0]

so you're saying st. kilda (st kilda east is a bit quiter?), brighton, sandringham etc?

had a bit of a looksee at the alfred and they arent offering half as good a deal as the royal melbourne and the austin...

is heidelberg etc really that shit? i come from sydney remember, it's spot the aussie all the time here?

pt
31-05-2008, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

My shorthand was a bit vauge ,, Austin was good as a patient , if i binned badly again i would have that as my first preference.

good to hear, thanks for that:)

Loads
01-06-2008, 07:16 PM
They have the new freway(toll ways) opening later this year, like the M5 out of Liverpool.
It depends on how you want to get to work? and if your willing to travel longer to get there.
I have some friends in the industry, so I'll ask them for you.
But I do agree with the others, the Eastern side along the coast is better.
If you need a hand let us know?
Good Luck. Darryl

scotty
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
St k isn't that quiet but the night life is good(loads of pubs and cafes)stk,east,elwood,elsternwick and your real close to cbd. at 200 ea pw (3 or more peps) you will find something no worrys(there starting to do the syd thing here so find something under your buget and punt up. you'll get it for sure)

oldskool
02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
heidelberg etc really is a shit hole and theres nothing like getting hammered on the beach and being able to walk home or even a short bus trip I agree with Scotty even tho against my better judgement ;)
South east is the only way to go or you'll just hate melbourne more than you should :)

pt
02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Loads

They have the new freway(toll ways) opening later this year, like the M5 out of Liverpool.
It depends on how you want to get to work? and if your willing to travel longer to get there.
I have some friends in the industry, so I'll ask them for you.
But I do agree with the others, the Eastern side along the coast is better.
If you need a hand let us know?
Good Luck. Darryl

would love to have some info from someone who already works down there! Really looking to avoid having to travel too far to work so st. kilda might be a bit far. i don't mind the other place though, that area was one that seemed pretty good last time i was down. but it all depends on where i get a job. thinking maybe richmond and around (staying north of citylink though) and it seems there a few 3 bedroom places for around 500, which is alright once its split 3 ways.

decent suburb/area?

oldskool
02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Richmond ,Kew ,Hawthorn ,St kilda is only 20min by bike.

Loads
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Pete,
Sorry for taking so long.
The main point for this is what type of nurse are you? for now we will go with general.
After speaking to Jess (friend) she said that all of the big hospitals are good but because they are public they have a bigger learning centre and job varierty. The Private sector Hospitals such as the Epworth won't have as much to offer because they are not as big as the public hospitals, but are still good to work at.
The monash is good, level 2 what ever that means? she did placement for a year before going to midwiffery. She didn't know what is on the other side of Melb is like as she have never worked or visited there.
Hope this helps

10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
If Victoria is "THE PLACE TO BE" as written some of your rego plates, why the fuck are 50,000 <s>Vic</s>mexican's moving to QLD every year.[?]:(:(

BANDITROD
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by davo

If Victoria is "THE PLACE TO BE" as written some of your rego plates, why the fuck are 50,000 <s>Vic</s>mexican's moving to QLD every year.[?]:(:(
cos they are prob looking for good weed and they heard you were up they way davo

pt
11-06-2008, 11:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Loads

Pete,
Sorry for taking so long.
The main point for this is what type of nurse are you? for now we will go with general.
After speaking to Jess (friend) she said that all of the big hospitals are good but because they are public they have a bigger learning centre and job varierty. The Private sector Hospitals such as the Epworth won't have as much to offer because they are not as big as the public hospitals, but are still good to work at.
The monash is good, level 2 what ever that means? she did placement for a year before going to midwiffery. She didn't know what is on the other side of Melb is like as she have never worked or visited there.
Hope this helps

cheers thanks for that. will be applying for the austin first preference then royal melbourne. definitely public though. it's my first year out so it'll be a general grad year.

IMP-INC
30-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey pete. yeah im in thornbury. thats about 25 mins from city center. thats by bike too. as a idea. our place is pretty exspensive to live in. 4 people and we chuck in a few hunge each week.. :(

latheboy
01-07-2008, 06:22 AM
The pay in private hospitals is shit compared to public and the pateint ratio is higher .. My wife is a Nurse .. If i was in the job and looking for work id go for the Royal Melb... i've been to quit a few different hospitals in melb for different shit and i got better treatment there ..

pt
02-07-2008, 10:12 PM
cool, sheers for the info.

at the moment the austin is top of the list followed by the royal melbourne. just touching up the application, should be down for interviews in august/september.

pt
20-10-2008, 02:36 PM
just to forewarn all you poor sods. got a job at royal melb starting in february[8D]

if you know anyone looking for someone to share a place with or somewhere going up for rent around then please let me know!:)

latheboy
20-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Look on "gumtree" for a place ... there are nearly always places for rent and if you like to party get into a uni house;):D

Loads
28-12-2008, 09:01 PM
realestate.com.au
domain.com.au
are good for searching.

Gsxar
28-12-2008, 11:00 PM
You should have moved to the country :D:D Our hospitals might be doggie [:p] But our life style is the way to go ;) Top roads just out the drive way :D