PDA

View Full Version : Pappas' GSXR7/11 - GAME ON!!!

pappas
28-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Picked this GSX1127 motor yesterday! Soon to be 7/11!

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/63471859896022.JPG

Fight_fan
29-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Fuck yeah! Keep posting pics on ur progress mate! Love to see how it turns out!

pappas
29-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Some update photo's, We took everything off today ready to drop the motor tomorrow.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/84367391694231.JPG

Exhaust off
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/84367391699669.JPG

Motor Ready to swap
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/843673916109618.JPG

New Headlight
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/84367391682248.JPG

Oh and if your looking at this and think....I'v got an exhaust that would fit that, let me know and I'll take it off your hands.

Cheers!

pappas
30-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Got the motor in today....

Old Motor Out
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1052687837104331.JPG

New 1100 Motor In
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1052687837107507.JPG

I'm having trouble fitting this spacer to the bottom engine mount. Has anyone come across this before? do I have to shave the spacer down a bit to fit it or am I just not sitting the motor in right? I know it's in the wrong topic but I'm about to ask there to.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105268783768468.JPG

pappas
30-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh and a tip for people thinking about changing the motor over, I found that the easiest way to get the motor in was to lay the motor on it's side and drop the frame over the motor.

kevkatana
30-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Don't shave any off it. Just wriggle the motor around and it should drop in.

pappas
30-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh I've wiggled! Might go and loosen all the mounting bolt and try again!
Thnx

Fish
30-04-2008, 11:13 PM
have you swapped the 1100 cam cover for the 750 one? I believe they are different heights so that may help (or not). you could just tell me to get fucked.

Fish
01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
how much did that motor set you back mate?

pappas
01-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Bitchfish, The cam cover isn't a problem there's enough clearance for it to move if it needs to, I think I just have to lift the motor a little and slot it in, it's about 2mm out so hoefully can squessze i in.

The motor including coils, cdi box and clutch master cylinder was $1550. About 30,000km's on the motor.

fimpBIKES
01-05-2008, 11:59 AM
FUCK YEAH, i love this place!!!

do it pappas, get that fuckin spacer in there :D

Razorback
01-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Nother thing if your changing a motor.

DONT WEAR THONGS!! LOL

pappas
02-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Wasn't me, but yeah prob a good idea not to wear thongs!

MONO
02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
er um from memory i think on mine you had to take top plate of the rocker cover ,and carbies have to come out because no clearance .Rocker cover slides backwards into where the carbies mount and comes out that way. Memory may have faded a bit but please it is worth a check to see if you can get the rocker cover out before you do other things, might save you a lot of time, those carbies can be annoying. Worth checking valve clearances before you start it especially if you do not know engine history. Also I believe you stick with the 750 air box depending on carbie size - carbies varies between 1100 models. Try and retain the air box I know it doesn't look at sexy as pods but CVs love lots of still air and are easy to set up jet wise.

pappas
02-05-2008, 10:18 AM
monoman the new motor is in place with all bolts in and tight except for the bottom rear bolt which lines up but just can't get the spacer in...yet, but yeah i did have to take the engine breather cover off to get the motor in place.
I've got the 36mm carbs off the 750 and I've decided to use pod filters as I'll chuck it on the dyno after it's all together.
As for valve clearances I'll have to look at doin them later as the motor has a 7 day warranty and I want to get it in and running before then (which i'll be pushing to do!)

Jay_G
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
loosen the other bolts back off, might allow you to move it around enough to slide the spacer in. then tighten them all up.

Tone
02-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Can't remember where but seem to recall it being mentioned that pod filters are a bitch for setting up (with 36 carbs),better off keeping the airbox and replacing the filter with an aftermarket jobbie.
Haven't got another of those motors lying around have ya?
And keep posting till it's finished :)

MONO
02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
CV CARBS

Some wise individual said this:"Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler." I try to keep things simple, but some aspects of motorcycle carburetion are a little complex and to really understand what is going on we have to struggle to master them. So I hope motivated readers will hang with me as we go through this and maybe even enjoy some of it.

In discussing these carbs in the other carb articles I am going to assume a certain amount of basic understanding on the part of the reader. If you are starting from scratch, this article should be helpful in describing what goes on inside carbs. And especially "CV" (Constant Velocity) carbs, which is what all these carbs are. For learning specifically about the carbs in your bike, , should be helpful. Also, for those who want to go further, Haynes offers a manual on motorcycle carburetion which will deepen your understanding of carbs. Much of the information here was learned from reading that manual.

THE VENTURI EFFECT

One phenomenon we to need to understand is that when a liquid or a gas is sitting still or moving slowly, the molecules that make it up are close together, making for a substance of normal density. For example, water flowing calmly down a wide stretch of a river is dense. But when this water hits a narrow canyon and rushes through it to maintain the flow, this rushing water "loosens up". Its molecules get temporarily farther apart, and the water thins out and becomes less dense relative to its normal density. And the faster it goes, the less dense it becomes.

The same is true for a gas. When air is still or moving slowly, it is dense and at "atmosphere pressure". But when it is forced to speed up faster than the surrounding air, it becomes thinner and less dense. We will call this condition a "depression". That is, air that is less dense than air at atmospheric pressure. The faster it goes, the greater the depression. And when a depression exists, air at atmospheric pressure wants to rush over to equalize the pressure.

This phenomenon, depression versus atmospheric air pressure is basic to the functioning of carburetors.

How do we get air to move through a carburetor? When the piston in our cylinder goes down, it drastically increases the volume inside the cylinder and creates a partial vacuum. Open the intake valve, and new air will rush in to fill this vacuum. Throw a carburetor in that path and the descending piston "sucks" air through the carb as well. And that's how we get a flow of air through the carb to work with. The vacuum created by the downward travel of the piston is actually a "depression", but we will call it a "vacuum" to differentiate it from the the depression we will be discussing which occurs in side the carb.

If the air path in the carburetor bore were the same size all the way through outside air could rush through the bore quite easily to fill the vacuum being created by the downward travel of the piston. It would therefore take high piston speeds (lots of pumping) to achieve enough air speed through the carb bore to thin the air enough to the create a depression. However, if an obstruction such as carburetor slide is placed in the carb bore the air path is now much smaller. The air stream has to speed up greatly to get through this bottle neck and outside air is largely blocked from helping to equalize the pressure. In this way, the air can be speeded up and a depression can be created at much lower piston speeds.

In carb speak, this bottle neck is called a "Venturi". As the incoming air speeds up to get past the Venturi, it thins out and loses density. We now achieve the "venturi effect" which is--depression at the point of the restriction.

How is the venturi effect used in the carb? We know that at the point of the depression outside air would love to rush in and equalize the pressure. For example we could drill a hole to the outside air at the point of the venturi and outside air would rush in. But the clever carb guys instead drill a hole which goes down into a bowl of fuel with outside air above it. The outside air can't get up through the hole (it is blocked by the fuel), but it can try, so it pushes on the fuel in the bowl, and forces some of that fuel up the pipe into the depressed air stream flying by the venturi. That plume of fuel coming out of the pipe mixes with the air rushing by, and that is how we get a fuel mixture to feed our cylinders to run our engines.

THE BUTTERFLY CARB

A simple carb might have just a butterfly type throttle valve and a carburetor bore that narrows in the middle to create a venturi. Open the butterfly and air flows, and fuel will be pushed up into the depressed air stream at the point of the venturi. This kind of carb is fine for things like lawn mowers, which run at a steady speed, under steady conditions-- where the need to accelerate is not a factor.

THE SLIDE CARB

The requirements placed on a motorcycle carburetor are much more complex. The engine needs to run well at a whole range of speeds. The engine needs to speed up and slow down. And the amount of fuel needed varies considerably. For example, the "ideal" fuel mixture is around 15 parts air to 1 part fuel. This theoretically provides just enough oxygen to fully combine with the fuel to produce a complete burn. But in the real world we need fuel ratios ranging from around 12:1 on the rich side to 18:1 on the lean side. This is because on the one hand, a richer mixture actually gives us more power to accelerate. And on the other, we can cruise steadily on a slightly lean mixture to give us fuel economy and low pollution.

The way motorcycyle carb designers tackled these problems was to replace the butterfly valve with a slide which is pulled up in the bore by means of the throttle cable. This slide did a couple of things. First, it provided a restriction in the bore to create a venturi. Since it can go up and down it is considered to be a "variable venturi". And second, the slide had a tapered needle on the bottom which it moved up and down in the "fuel hole" to vary the amount of fuel available from that orifice. At the slide's lowest position, the needle almost fills the hole, allowing little if any fuel to enter the small air stream. But as the slide is raised, the taper allows more fuel to pass into the air stream to combine with the greater amount of air now available. In this way a good air-fuel ratio can be maintained to meet the needs of the engine at different speeds and conditions (accelerating, cruising at steady speeds, etc.)

But there are a couple of problems with "slide carbs". First they can be a bit "touchy". That is, small changes in the slide throttle can give instant changes in speed, which means that holding steady speeds is sometimes tough. But the main problem has to do with quick acceleration. When you speed jockeys snap your throttles open suddenly, it presents a problem that the typical slide carb can't handle.

It goes roughly like this: you are going along at a steady speed, your engine making 3K revs. Your slide is open just far enough to keep air flowing by it fast enough to attract fuel (the venturi effect). Snap the throttle open and what happens? The slide moves up out of the way, and the air path is greatly enlarged. But the revs (and piston pumping action) haven't increased yet and the so the same amount of air as before is now being drawn through a much larger opening. What happens? The air stream slows down, the density goes up, and the venturi effect is momentarily partially lost. The outside air loses its motivation to push fuel up into this less-depressed air stream and a "lean" condition results (too much air, too little fuel). The engine coughs and stumbles until the revs can pick up enough to achieve sufficient air speed through the bigger opening to restore the venturi effect. At which point you finally take off like the scalded animal of your choice.

One way to deal with this is by adding an "accelerator pump" which provides a shot of fuel as the throttle is opened. But there is another way which has been adopted for use in almost all modern carbureted street bikes:

CV (Costant Velocity) CARBS

In respect to these carbs, I'll be talking about the intake side, and the exit side. Air comes into the intake side and exits out of the engine side as fuel mixture.

The CV Carb has a more complex air control system than the two carbs described above:

---The butterfly valve is back, and sits toward the engine side of the carb. It is opened and closed by means of the throttle and throttle cable and controls the amount of air that can flow through the carb.

---But the slide is retained. It sits in the middle of the carb on the intake side, before the butterfly. But instead of being pulled up and down by the throttle cable as in the slide carb, it now has no direct connection to the throttle cable at all. It is now attached to a rubber diaphragm and is raised and lowered by vacuum (depression) introduced on the top side of this diaphragm through holes drilled up through the slide. The slides in Hitachis are round, and in Mikunis they are flat.

Now we'll try to figure out how CV carbs work.

When the butterfly valve is closed, very little air is moving in the carb bore. (The engine is getting some air and fuel through the pilot circuit, which we'll describe later.) With little to no air flowing, the air in the carb bore and the air in the closed chamber above the diaphragm are at close to the atmospheric pressure of the outside air.

Open the butterfly, and several things happen.

1. Air now speeds through and venturi effect (depression) at the point of the slide (variable venturi) is created.

2. The depression at the venturi is transmitted up through the holes in the slide to the closed chamber above the diaphragm. This lowers the density of the air in that chamber.

3. The open air below the diaphragm now wants to rush into that chamber to equalize the pressure, but it can't because there is no passage.

4. So it does the next best thing and tries to push its way in through the underside of the diaphragm.

5. The diaphragm can't let the air in, but it is flexible so gives way it is pushed up by the outside air pressure.

6. As it goes up, it pulls the slide with it, and the slide pulls the tapered fuel needle up in the fuel hole.

7. More air flows, more fuel is pushed into the air stream, and the engine accelerates or runs at higher revs.

But how does this improve things over the simpler slide carb?

When the throttle is cranked on the slide carb, the slide is pulled up immediately by the throttle cable, expanding the variable venturi suddenly, and causing the lean stumble described above.

When the CV butterfly is opened, the slide does not immediately jump up to a much more open position. It raises gradually as the increasing engine revs provide the needed depression (at the venturi), which is then transmitted to the chamber above the diaphragm. As the slide rises, the increasing depression also encourages more fuel to enter the carb bore and combine with the greater air supply now available. And the higher the slide goes, the more fuel the tapered needle permits to flow. In other words the genius of the CV carb is that the fuel from fuel hole can now "keep up" with the increasing air available--maintaining the mixture at proper ratios during the accelereation process.

In summary, the CV carb provides quick enough acceleration (no lean stumbles to slow things down) which is also smooth. And overall we get a "kinder, gentler" carb which gives us less twitchy responses as we make small throttle adjustments.

Now we'll get into:

FUEL CIRCUITS

Carbs are such that they cannot meet all the different running situations with one single system. Starting, idling, acceleration, deceleration, and steady running all impose different fuel requirements on carbs. Carbs also have to handle different engine speeds, different loads, different engine temperatures and other variables. So we find that CV carbs need three distinct "circuits" or fuel delivery systems to meet these different needs. The three circuits are:

The starting circuit, the pilot circuit, and (what I call) the run circuit.

STARTING CIRCUIT

The starting circuit (often called the choke circuit--but it doesn't really "choke" anything) provides a special fuel supply needed to start the engine, when the engine is cold.

Why does the engine need a lot of fuel to fire when it is cold? For a fuel mixture to ignite, it needs to be made up of very tiny (atomized) particles of fuel suspended in the air. Cold fuel tends to stay in big drops which don't ignite easily. Also these big drops tend to cling to intake walls. So in a cold engine, a lot of the fuel doesn't atomize correctly and is just wasted. Therefore you need more fuel to start with to make up for these losses, and assure that enough of it is atomized to give you a mixture which will ignite properly. As the engine warms up, atomization becomes much better and more complete, so less fuel is needed to create the proper air/fuel ratio, and the start lever can be let off.

The starting circuit is really a separate system in the carb. It takes its air from a port in the bore which is located in the main air path before the slide and the butterfly. It gets its fuel from a separate tube running into the float bowl. When the start lever is pulled at the handlebar, a plunger is lifted which opens the air and fuel passages. The engine is then cranked, and since these passages are small, you get you get the needed air speed going through them with enough venturi effect to draw fuel from the bowl into the air stream. This mixture exits from a port on the engine side of (after) the butterfly and goes on into the cylinder.

This circuit, if working properly, is designed to provide the proper mixture all by itself to start the bike. Hence the admonition; "start your bike with the throttle closed." (Note also that closed throttle starting is also easier on the starter, since the piston is not pulling in a full gulp of air. Compression is about half of normal and the starter doesn't have to work as hard to crank the engine.) As the bike warms up, the plunger has a half open position which cuts the fuel back but leaves the air open, leaning out the mixture. On full warm up the plunger is closed and cuts off both passages. Note that different bikes have different starting habits, and a quick blip after the engine catches helps with some of them. Outside temperature can also affect how you use the choke. (O.K. I'm calling it the choke) More choke on cold days, less on hot days.

PILOT CIRCUIT

This is sometimes called the "idle circuit" but it does a lot more than control idle. And it is perhaps the most misunderstood of the three circuits. The role of the pilot circuit is basically to run the engine when the throttle is closed, as when the engine is idling or the throttle is closed on deceleration. But this circuit is also the main source of fuel at very small throttle openings. As the throttle is opened past 1/4, the importance of this circuit diminishes, as the main fuel supply is now provided through the main "fuel hole" and controlled by the needle/needle jet and ultimately the main jet. But the pilot circuit does remain active and makes a contribution all the way to WOT.

The typical set up is this: The pilot circuit get its fuel from the float bowl through the pilot jet. The circuit also has a pilot air jet, but the purpose here is not to provide all the needed air (as in the starting circuit), but to provide air to premix with and partially aerate the fuel before the mixture enters bore and completes the atomization process with air traveling through the bore. Such little air passages are sometimes called "air bleed" circuits.

This circuit typically has two outlets. One is called the "pilot outlet" and is located on the engine side of the butterfly valve. This outlet supplies the fuel mixture to support idling and deceleration (that is, off-throttle running). It has an adjustment screw which controls the amount of fuel mixture entering the bore under off-throttle conditions. This screw is sometimes mistaken for an "air screw" but it is not. Turning in (right) reduces the amount of fuel mixture, and turning out (left) increases it. In for lean, out for rich.

The other outlet is call the "bypass outlet" and is located right at the point in the bore where the bottom of the butterfly comes to rest when closed. Typically, the butterfly is set a tad open to permit just a slight amount of air to pass by at the bottom to support idle and decel, and most of the fuel for these functions is supplied through the pilot outlet. But as the butterfly is opened, more air flows past it, and the venturi effect starts to work on the bypass Additional fuel is now drawn out of the bypass to support low speed running and cruising at small throttle openings. (Note that if the butterful valve is adjusted to 'fully closed' the engine will probably not start or idle. It needs to be open a tad. As mentioned above, these outlets continue "giving" throughout the rev range, but their contribution to the overall mixture dimishes as the slide rises.)

An addition to this circuit is found on all Mikuni carbs. This is the "coasting enricher". A typical problem in earlier carbs was the fact that when you chopped the throttle (closed the butterfly) on deceleration, there would not enough fuel in the mixture at the (at that moment) high revs to allow the engine to fire consistently. You would then get a "lean misfire". That is, the engine would fail to fire, and the unburned mixture (lean though it was) would enter the exhaust header. Then when the engine next fired, you'd get a backfire. (So backfiring on decel is typically a lean condition, and not "loading up" as some people think.) The solution they came up with was to reduce the amount of air in the "airbleed" circuit by about half, meaning the fuel content hitting the bore from the pilot oulet was much higher than the normal idle fuel mixture you get on closed throttle. Once the revs came down, the full air bleed would be restored for proper idling. The "coaster enricher" is activated by the strong vacuum created in the carburetor holder (intake stub) byhigh revs when the butterfyl is closed on decel.

Of special note: we now understand that those adjustment screws only affect the pilot circuit, and mainly the mixture on idle and decel..

THE RUN CIRCUIT

This circuit takes its "airbleed air" from the main air jet, and its fuel from the float bowl. The fuel travels up through the main jet, and is pre-mixed with air from the main air jet in the needle jet . This needle jet is a long jet with holes in the side to permit the air to enter and be mixed with the fuel--before this mixture plumes out into the main bore to be further atomized as it heads to the cylinder. The tapered metering needle rides up and down in the needle jet and meters out more fuel the higher it goes. At wide open throttle (WOT) the slide and needle are fully raised and the needle is effectively "out of the way" in the needle jet, allowing maximum fuel to flow into the carb bore, regulated only by the size of the main jet.

When does the needle taper cut in? If you put a digital caliper on a needle, you will find that it does not taper for the first 3-4 millimeters residing down in the needle jet. So presumably until the slide raises more than 3-4mm, we are still in "pilot circuit county", since with no taper the needle jet is pretty well filled with the needle and little additional fuel will be pushed out that hole. Once the taper cuts in additional fuel starts to flow out and this progressive metering continues until the much steeper taper of the needle drops it out of the game as WOT is approached, and the main jet becomes the only restirction..

Note that jet changes typically involve the main jet, and to a lesser extent the pilot jet. In these carbs we never seem to get into the air or needle jets.

An interesting thing to do is to make some marks on your throttle showing its position at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of rotation and WOT. You'll be surprised to see how little the butterfly is actually open at steady cruising speeds. You'll see some serious throttle rotation on brisk acceleration, but just try to maintain a steady speed at high throttle openings on the freeway. This will get you too much speed or too many speeding tickets, whichever comes first.

So those are the three circuits. Half the trick is diagnosing carbs is to figure out fuel, air and outlet paths for the various circuits. Note there is a degree of independence between the pilot circuit, the needle/jet, and the main jet. For example, we are told that the engine will start and idle on the pilot circuit with no needle or main jet in the carb at all (I've never tried it).. Also, the engine will in theory run up to around 3/4 throttle (mixture being controlled by the metering needle) with no main jet in place.

CARB VENTING

As we have now seen, the CV carb needs the presence of outside air (at atmospheric pressure) inside the carb for several reasons:

--Outside air is needed under the diaphragm to push it up.
--Outside air is needed above the fuel in the float bowl to push down on the fuel and force it up past the various jets and into the starting, pilot and run circuits.
--And outside air is needed to service one or more of the air jets that reside inside the carb body..

How does this outside air get in? It gets in through the breather pipe which sits toward the top of the carb just under the diaphragm. Air jet(s) also reside in this space and have access to it. And drillings in the carb body allow the outside air to go down and enter the space above the fuel in the float bowl.

A breather tube typically attaches to the breather pipe and extends to some point (e.g., behind a side cover, or inside the aircleaner pod) where the air is relatively calm. Why? We don't want wind to be changing the airpressure at the end of this pipe, because this will disturb the operation of the air jets, the diaphragm, and the fuel delivery. These functions need consistant outside air pressure to work properly against the various levels of depression created in the bore, above the diaphragm, etc., as the carb goes about its work.

POD FILTERS DO NOT SUPPLY LARGE STORED QUNATITIES OF AIR FOR FAST THROTLE RESPONCE ,PODS CAN ACT AS RESTRICTORS BY DELAYING THE CHANGE IN AIR PRESSURE ;)

xb9r
02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Fuck me dead it would take me a day to type that much, nice insight, a cuople of more reads and it will soak in :}

MONO
02-05-2008, 09:03 PM
for jetting you may want to start with GSXR 1100 K carb specs the 36 mm will giv great mid range like bandit

MONO
02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
sorry about the heavy post just tryin to help.

PS can talk you through valve shim / bucket adjustment it's easy.

PPS i think air box goes in first before motor

ppps the dyno will always take bigger jets than the road thats why there generally tricker to set up

02-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Keep your air box if you want a good power delivery.Go the pods if you wanna foul plugs and have an unreliable bike that produces more power but accelerates like shit coz its spazmodic.
Suzuki got it right when they built the 89 GSX-R-1127-S...but not alot of people know that.

MONO
02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
davo thats actually what I wanted to say just didn't have the guts thanks

pappas
05-05-2008, 04:07 AM
Thanks guys, I've already got the filters, so I'm going to give them a go. Surely there are some people out there that have pod filters on CV carbs without major issues?

Deano
05-05-2008, 06:20 AM
i have had no issues with the pods. found then quite easy to setup or get close enough so it dosn't cough or splutter, don't understand whey others have so many issues.

pappas
05-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Deano I was hoping there would be someone to say that they worked....surely a good bike tuner could get them to run properly, that's what we pay them for.

hooligan
05-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Mine runs fine with pods, too.

latheboy
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I got pods too .. only the 750 but it runs fine.. Airbox's are like fairy's ... Ghey

pappas
05-05-2008, 12:56 PM
And they are shit if you need to get the carbs out!

Rumbo
06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey Papas. I got pods and it wouldnt run at all till I got a dynojet stage 3 kit then she started 1st go. Cut the airbox out with tinsnips so theres no going back.

pappas
06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah was going to get a factory pro kit but I'll see how I go with bigger jets and a dyno run first. $250 for the factory pro kit....

pappas
28-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok so I've wiggled and jiggled and I got that fucken spacer in. Also started on getting the front end sorted. I had Ben (Exben) drill out my top triples and mount my new risers. It's all coming together now, just got to do brake/clutch lines, headlight, blinkers and a few odds and ends then get it registered, then just look at doing mods as I can afford them ie subframe USD forks etc etc.....
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/655416708116218.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/655416708105856.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/655416708110848.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/655416708117449.JPG

Dark Reign
28-05-2008, 11:09 PM
coming along nicely pappas!

Dont pay $250 for a factory pro kit, i ordered mine directly from them (gsxr 1100 stage 3) and got it to my door for $170au.

Take a trip down the road and see Harley at RB racing, taren point, for your dyno too, he just did my stage 3 kit and tune, what a difference milo makes. Very happy. No more flat spot.

pappas
29-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah I emailed factory pro and he didn't seem to helpfull or informative, maybe he has to sort through a lot of emails and I couldn't get a firm price on delivery for some reason. When I'm ready to get the kit I'll definately order direct though if I can save $80!

Yeah I've already gone to RB and spoke to Harley. I'll definately be taking the bike there once ready.

pappas
05-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Bit of an update, Finally got enough bits and pieces back on the bike to try and start it and it fucken did, first go!:D Sounds good to!

I also had my cousin who does Brake lines fit some stainless braided lines to the bike as well. He is ADR compliant so if anyone wants his details let me know.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/848422689121010.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/84842268961211.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/848422689114429.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/848422689112141.JPG

Fight_fan
05-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Unreal Pappas! Good work mate!

pappas
05-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks mate!

pappas
17-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok so it's been a while since I've done anything on the bike, that's mainly cause I haven't done much due to a Europe trip.

So... I bought an exhaust off Cruise Control and have spent the last 3 weeks fitting it!! Well actually I've been waiting for a new oil pickup from Japan to suit a new sump as my original sump didn't have any clearance for the new exhaust. Anyway, new sump and exhaust are on and am getting the bike dyno'd tomorrow.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/106685348088076.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1066853480102575.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/106685348092934.jpg

[img]
:D:D

scotty
18-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Nice one pap, How'd the dyno go?

pappas
18-11-2008, 03:24 PM
It's at the mechanic today, but he's flat out and not sure when he can get it done. Will keep you posted. Hopefully by the end of the week!

pappas
19-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Got a phone call from the mechanic and the bike is ready! He got 120hp. Will be picking it up tomorrow, I'll post the graph, I was hoping for a bit more but still good.

Also Gix if you read this can you move this thread to "my ride" section?

Cheers

BANDITROD
19-11-2008, 09:13 PM
awsome work mate well done and 120hp is a good figure mate considering that would be at the wheel that should be more than enough to put a smile on ya face :)

pappas
19-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it considering I didn't go down the path of a dynojet or factory pro kit. I used the 750 carbs which are 36mm and from reading on oldskool I should have good midrange power. I really can't wait to give it a thrash!

pappas
25-11-2008, 07:12 AM
So I got the bike back on Friday and I'm pretty happy with it....maybe was expecting a little more after riding it, maybe some power wheelies or something!? But motor feels strong and still pulls hard! Here's the dyno runs, he did a 4th gear power run and also ran it throught the gears. I think he used 130 mains.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/30618430346840.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/30618430332094.JPG

pappas
25-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks Gix

pappas
19-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Bit of an update, I finished installing the Acewell dash and blinkers over the weekend. Also tidied up a few bits and pieces and put the rear plastics back on, ready for rego. I've got a K2 rear subframe (from gibbo) and a VFR800 SSSA (from Boxer) ready to go on after I get it regestered. Still on the shopping list is a muffler, oil cooler with lines and a USD.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/33274553677822.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/33274553662526.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/33274553655255.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/33274553653751.jpg

latheboy
19-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Thats nice pappas, its a big job to put the 800 in, i machine 35mm off the width for mine.... but its rad

pappas
19-01-2009, 11:36 AM
35mm! Fuck! I knew you had to machine it down but not that much! What else did you have to do? Make spacers for sprockets, axle, hub? Did the 800 shock bolt up ok? Or did you have to make a new top mount?

Righto just read your thread in "My Ride" seen the top shock mount but didn't see anything on spacers etc.

Just went and measured the swingarm there is only about50mm of material on each side and one side is already flush with the rest of the arm if that makes sense? Have you got any photo's LatheBoy?

TurboKat
19-01-2009, 11:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by pappas

a VFR800 SSSA (from Boxer) ready to go on after I get it regestered.
So can I take it that you don't want this 5.5" rear wheel that I've been holding onto for you for 2 months?

pappas
19-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Mate I'll still swap the wheel with you, I made a deal with you and I'll stick to it. I wasn't planning on getting the VFR swing arm but i got it at a descent price so my plans have changed a bit.

I'm hoping to get the bike into get a blueslip this week, so I should be able to send the wheel down to you next week all things going well. I'll call or email you this week and let you know when I'll be sending it.

CBRRRT
19-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Its looking good so far Pappas, and I like your future plans too mate, I cant wait to see the build a bit further on. Keep the pic's comming mate.

Top job.

pappas
19-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks mate! Yeah it's slow progress, but it least it's progress hey. Plan is to get everything fitted up then strip it all down send the frame wheels and forks to the powder coaters and the tank and plastics to the painters. The headlight I've got is just to get it registered, still looking for the right one for the bike.

CBRRRT
19-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Same here mate, I'm almost at the point where I can strip my bike down and send of all the little brackets I made to powder coat, then get my plastic painted. I still have a bit of a list to do though, its all the little fiddly jobs that take the time mate, but they have to be done. There are times when I'm sick of the sight of it, but gladly they soon pass and its game on once more. Oh, and I am my own worst enemy because I keep thinking "Wouldnt it be good if"

Keep up the good work mate, I'm enjoying the build so far.

TurboKat
19-01-2009, 03:45 PM

Mate I'll still swap the wheel with you, I made a deal with you and I'll stick to it. I should be able to send the wheel down to you next week all things going well. I'll call or email you this week and let you know when I'll be sending it.

Cool mate, no worries.

pappas
20-01-2009, 07:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by CBRRRT

Same here mate, I'm almost at the point where I can strip my bike down and send of all the little brackets I made to powder coat, then get my plastic painted. I still have a bit of a list to do though, its all the little fiddly jobs that take the time mate, but they have to be done. There are times when I'm sick of the sight of it, but gladly they soon pass and its game on once more. Oh, and I am my own worst enemy because I keep thinking "Wouldnt it be good if"

Keep up the good work mate, I'm enjoying the build so far.

Yeah mate, I've been watching your thread and enjoying your write ups for a while. Can't wait to see your bike with some colour on it! Even if it is gonna be a plastic fantastic! Thanks for the comments and good luck with your build mate!

latheboy
20-01-2009, 09:22 AM

35mm! Fuck! I knew you had to machine it down but not that much! What else did you have to do? Make spacers for sprockets, axle, hub? Did the 800 shock bolt up ok? Or did you have to make a new top mount?

Righto just read your thread in "My Ride" seen the top shock mount but didn't see anything on spacers etc.

Just went and measured the swingarm there is only about50mm of material on each side and one side is already flush with the rest of the arm if that makes sense? Have you got any photo's LatheBoy?

I put a peice of Al. between the axle mounts and then machined it down to width, then welded plates in to cover the holes that opened up, then re-bored for the bearings, there's a bit of machining to be done at the Hub aswell.
The shock is not on the centre axis thats why the top shocker mount is the way it is.
The chain is now running in a straight line after alot of fucking around and machining here and there.
Sorry but i put a fuck load of work into this so i'm not going to give you everything eg. dimensions and the like.
I dont know of any other GSXR's with a 800 sssa in it, so do it and join the cult..:D;) Everyone knows when you've got a SSSA you become better in bed and all the girls will be after you[8D]

pappas
20-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks Latheboy, at least I got an idea of what's involved. Just contemplating doing it myself which will take months! Or just bite the bullet and take it to Ben.

TurboKat
20-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I read in The Bible a while ago that the VFR 750 arm is a shitload easier to fit into a Slabby/Slingy than the 800. I'll see if I can find the article.

latheboy
20-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Have a look at this http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4950
I think you just need a couple of spacers and thats it.. I've been wrong before so dont quote me on that

latheboy
29-01-2009, 02:27 PM
PM sent pappas,
Is it in yet[?];):D

Deano
29-01-2009, 04:03 PM
wouldn't reccomend sssa and turbo tho

pappas
29-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Really!? Why? Too much strain on the SSSA?

pappas
29-01-2009, 05:27 PM
As for progress on my bike. I took it back for a Blue Slip this arvo and the mechanic looks up a book with engine numbers and finds out my bike isn't a 750 at all!! "Mate that's an 1100! You'll need an engineers certificate for that!!"
FUCK IT!! SHIT FUCK CUNT! BITCH SLUT!!!!!!

So I ride back home only to have the bike kark it halfway home! I check leads, fuel line. All good. I had a full tank of fuel when I got it back from the dyno surely it hasn't ran out of fuel!! I've only ridden twice, 10km max and the tuner used his own fuel! (apparently)....YEP!! Fucking out of fuel!! Before you say how can you run out of fuel you silly prick! Use the reserve! My fandagled fuel tap doesn't have reserve!

Soooo.....now that I've finally got the bike back home and cooled off a bit. Does anyone know of a decent engineer for a certificate? Fight Fan maybe? Where did you end up going?

pappas
29-01-2009, 05:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

PM sent pappas,
Is it in yet[?];):D

Not yet! Was going to rego it first but bumpaow!

Contemplating whether to do it all...swingarm and subframe then get the whole lot certified and regoed....I'll speak with an engineer tomorrow.

But I do have a machinist/mate lined up to do the arm.
Can I read a PM through the site? PM's go to work email so can't read it yet....

Deano
29-01-2009, 05:46 PM
to much flex i hear from the torque/power

Seifer
29-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Go to a different mechanic first mate. Try a car mechanic.

Large
29-01-2009, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

I read in The Bible a while ago that the VFR 750 arm is a shitload easier to fit into a Slabby/Slingy than the 800. I'll see if I can find the article.

I saw two blokes push a 750 arm into an 88 750 slingy today with minimal grunting[:p]

Needs to move over << way about 5mm to match the engine sprocket apparently, but doesn't look too hard.

pappas
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Ok I've done some measurements and I think I'm on the right track. With some advice from Ivan. I'm thinking this could be more trouble than it's worth. This is where I'm at so far. I've figured out that I have to cut 17.5mm off each side of the arm then move the sprocket 14mm towords the wheel. That should get the wheel and sprockets in line, but not the shock. The sprocket carrier is 12mm so as suggested by Ivan I could swap the sprocket to the other side of the carrier. I'd just have to make a 2mm spacer on the front sprocket to get it lined up.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/101320974748386.jpg

Fight_fan
03-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Soooo.....now that I've finally got the bike back home and cooled off a bit. Does anyone know of a decent engineer for a certificate? Fight Fan maybe? Where did you end up going?

Hey Pap! Dunno if u got ur engineer's cert sorted yet but the guy I went to is John Wilson @ AKZ Vehicle Engineering ph. 02 6236 3009 or 0417 230 074. He's in Queenbyan so its probably a bit far from u mate! But he saved me a bunch coz apparently u need a ADR compliant brake test as well when the new engine is 17% larger or over! That alone will set u back $500! But he let me slide coz my bike runs an '04 GSXR1000 front end, more than capable of slowin her up!
Good luck mate! She's lookin good hey! [^]

latheboy
04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
You will need to machine off a bit extra from both sides so it doesn't foul on the frame and then use a spacer between the frame and bearing...

pappas
13-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Well I've lined up another mechanic for Tuesday to try and get this blue slip finally.

Also had a present arrive today!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/604338550125685.jpg