PDA

View Full Version : Newish bike, + no cat = ticket

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2014, 12:38 PM
QLD POLICE TARGET NOISY PIPES

Feb 12, 2014

QLD Police are targeting noisy exhaust pipes on motorcycles after receiving dozens of complaints about excessive noise. The goal of the campaign is to target motorcycles that are emitting excessive noise levels and enhance the quality of life for residents living along well travelled routes.

On occasion, officers see motorcyclists riding around with ear plugs because the mufflers are too loud. During a recent encounter, a traffic enforcement officer followed a motorcycle for two blocks when the rider wasnt able to hear the siren over his mufflers.

This past weekend, the QLD Police Traffic Enforcement Unit tested over 100 motorcycles and found 49 vehicles were not in compliance. The riders were issued either a $600 fine under the Motor Vehicle Act or a Notice and Order to have the muffler repaired or both.

“This is a good time to remind the public that with the warm weather comes an increase in the number of motorcycles on the road,” says Sergeant Leslie Battler of the QLD Traffic Enforcement unit.

“We would like to remind riders to be safe and considerate of others while they are out enjoying the sun.”

Quick Facts

the allowable decibel reading for motorcycles is less than 92 decibels
ear damage occurs at 85 decibels or greater
average lawnmower and chainsaw is about 90 decibels
jackhammer is about 130 decibels
loudest motorcycle tested over this past weekend was 112 decibels

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2014, 12:39 PM
From another shops forum:

It seems that cops are now fully equipped to check for cat removals and target the aftermarket exhausts

I do know if you are selling a bike with aftermarket exhausts it will no longer make the RWC but to now target them
The first to be towed in is Adrian which was deemed defective due to exhaust de-gutting

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2014, 12:40 PM
And.....

Got done at Canungra I had the cat out a wile ago and got done for it
3 point, $600 fine, $488 towing, rego canceled
Problem is I need a new system and that will cost me over 4k

Hagarr
13-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Harleys?

How are they fairing.........hopefully equally same attention!

Oh and sorry I can't even offer you a standard set to get RWC!

GammaBoy
13-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Breaks down noise wise to:
Pre 85 - 100dBA, Static test at 1/2 of peak power rpm - good to go.
Pre 2005 - 96dBA, Static test at 1/2 of peak power rpm - Not too bad. (Post 88 bikes are supposed to have a level/rpm placard somewhere)
Post 2005 - stock placard + 5dBA (So about 85dBA) at RPM on placard. Sucks to be you guys.

Removing the Cat is a funny one - I didn't think ADRs applied emissions requirements to motorcycles.
The fuckstain that said "On occasion, officers see motorcyclists riding around with ear plugs because the mufflers are too loud" has obviously never worn a modern Arai. Fucking things are 100dBA at highway speeds.

stiffsimon
13-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Out of curiosity do you happen to know if bikes built pre 1980 still need to comply with the 100dBA limit or are they allowed to be even louder? Just asking cause my ET was built in 1979.

bluedrags
13-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Noise saves lives.

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Noise saves lives.

It certainly does if your sat at home bikeless because its been impounded ! ;)

Hagarr
13-02-2014, 07:57 PM
It certainly does if your sat at home bikeless because its been impounded ! ;)

I don't think I've ever used this terminology anywhere on Social media and I apologise prior to post, but they are CUNTS, plain and simple!

Its got to the point where, You really want me? You come Fucken Get me if you really think it's worth it!!

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2014, 08:01 PM
My hope is that they will make it so bad THERE will be a reaction.
3 of my regular routes have become no-go zones until at least the end of the month.

GammaBoy
14-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Out of curiosity do you happen to know if bikes built pre 1980 still need to comply with the 100dBA limit or are they allowed to be even louder? Just asking cause my ET was built in 1979.
Bikes built 1975 to 1985 have to comply with the 100dBA. It's plenty fucking loud for a streetbike!
Bikes pre 75 have no hard limit, just a waffly "no undue noise" - 100dBA is the safe number for them though I reckon.

GammaBoy
14-02-2014, 08:17 AM
My hope is that they will make it so bad THERE will be a reaction.
3 of my regular routes have become no-go zones until at least the end of the month.
Which routes are they?
I never go Nebo/Glorious in the first place...

Tony Nitrous
14-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Nebo, Glorious, and Mt Mee are guaranteed (all near me)
I was just looking at the pics of them stopping all bikes recently. Lots of cops!

Not sure where else yet, I'm hoping they stick to the Northside bike haunts
and don't include Canunga / Tambo / Boohna etc.

ozzy1100
14-02-2014, 05:27 PM
west side is the place to be......

El_Hefty
14-02-2014, 07:29 PM
yep hundreds of loooong straight road, fucking sweet ...... for a b-double driver

Jinx
14-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Looks like I'm well and truly fucked if I take the KTM up Mount Mee when the cops are there. No cats in the Mivvs and probably a bit on the noisy side. Then there's the tail tidy. Yep, pretty well fucked.

GammaBoy
14-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Ahh shit. Didn't realise they'd started hammering Mt. Mee, have been of the bike for the last 8 months.

GammaBoy
16-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Didn't see a single copper on Mt Mee on saturday morning...
Avoided Neebo though.

Tony Nitrous
16-02-2014, 02:03 PM
They had two inspection area's set up on the Southside today.

Cruisecontrol
16-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Are these new laws or have they just started enforcing them?

wackyrider
16-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Headed out for a ride on Sat. On the way up to Mt Mee had a cop in a Pajero chuck hos lights on and do a U-turn before he came chasing after myself and another 3 bikes. I was at the back of the pack so played it safe and put the indicator on and pulled over when I deemed it safe to. He alleged I was doing 100 in a 60 zone which I politely did not accept. I may have not been doing the limit but I'm quite sure I wasn't doing that speed. At the same time I wasn't really focused on the dash.

After putting the fender eliminator on the MV tail I played it safe and put a piece of plastic with a reflector on it before heading out for the ride. After a brief chat with the cop I got let off with a warning, he just noted my details in a notebook.

I have a question on this now. the cop reckoned that the his radar told him we were doing a 100kph. Yet he was coming around a corner in the opposite direction and I was the 4th bike in. How the hell can he say what speed I was doing. I have read a few articles about being able to contest Stationary speed cameras if the angle is not correct and the vehicle has to be on a flat plain, yet here we have 2 vehicles travelling in opposing directions and at variable speeds with the angle constantly changing, not to mention (in this case) 4 possible target vehicles. How can he state what speed I was doing???

wackyrider
16-02-2014, 04:46 PM
BTW, I had the Leo VInce pipe on my bike and nothing was mentioned about this, nor anything else on the bike

Tony Nitrous
16-02-2014, 05:12 PM
From reports elsewhere the vichicle inspections today
were around Peaks Crossing and another between Boohna
and Beaudesert and they were very interested in bikes.
Northside turned out to be safe today.

GammaBoy
16-02-2014, 08:02 PM
I have a question on this now. the cop reckoned that the his radar told him we were doing a 100kph. Yet he was coming around a corner in the opposite direction and I was the 4th bike in. How the hell can he say what speed I was doing. I have read a few articles about being able to contest Stationary speed cameras if the angle is not correct and the vehicle has to be on a flat plain, yet here we have 2 vehicles travelling in opposing directions and at variable speeds with the angle constantly changing, not to mention (in this case) 4 possible target vehicles. How can he state what speed I was doing???
He was hoping for an admission of guilt because he didn't have anything that would stand up. The front bike may have been doing a hundred, but trying to pin the other three wouldn't have stood up in court. Anyway, your mate up the front owes you many beers for saving his bacon.

ozzy1100
16-02-2014, 08:29 PM
He was hoping for an admission of guilt because he didn't have anything that would stand up. The front bike may have been doing a hundred, but trying to pin the other three wouldn't have stood up in court. Anyway, your mate up the front owes you many beers for saving his bacon.

What this man said, btw at least you kept the cat when you did yr pipe

wackyrider
16-02-2014, 10:35 PM
I though that he's be hoping for admission of guilt as I find it hard that he could pinpoint my speed due to the circumstances. None the less the rest of the day I was paranoid about seeing cops behind every corner, lol. Meant I was the slowest rider due to this.

I do believe how you approach the situation can help as I was calm and friendly with the cop, but this goes both ways and at times they are just out there to get you no matter what.

bladehunter
17-02-2014, 04:41 PM
QLD cops got x-ray vision or something to see earplugs thru helmets ?

davo
17-02-2014, 07:29 PM
I also run a Leo Vince with Cat,came with 2 bungs and E certification labels to match standard can decibels. A 4mm allen key and its back to GP mode as soon as im out of Qld. Didn't see the use of cat eliminator as I didnt need more horsepower. Got road blocked at Glorious a few months back.20 odd cops + transport cocks. Renewed my rego by Bpay day before. Lucky my old label and reflector had vibrated off or cuntface was gunna book me for riding with expired label and illegal reflector vibrator. Did a transport check,told me to put my fender back on,never mentioned the pipe,but arxed what my throttle stop was...after explaining he was going to buy 1 to replace his wrist rocker on his "work bike". Roads are shit in Qld anyway, i'm just gunna tow my bike around on a trailer and pretend I race instead.Thats how to pull bitch's these days punters...just arx me.

fimpBIKES
18-02-2014, 12:09 AM
no cat stuff is bullshit unless adr's have changed recently?

ear plugs block high freq wind noise which is what fucks ur hearing, dumfukkers

Jockney Rebel
22-02-2014, 11:04 PM
unless the cop has a blue mechs ticket like i have he can keep his paws off me bike and get me an engineer to defect it ...chances are he wont know hat to look for anyway ..its all speculation thats easily defended in court they work on the assumption you wont bother to contest it ...i did in 2012 in port mac defended myself and made the police look like an amateur s they didnt even bother to prepare thier case properly which pissed off the beak and he was instantly on my side

336LJ
31-03-2014, 06:39 PM
The fuckstain that said "On occasion, officers see motorcyclists riding around with ear plugs because the mufflers are too loud" has obviously never worn a modern Arai. Fucking things are 100dBA at highway speeds.

I reckon.... I only wear earplugs because of the shitty wind noise from my helmet at 100k's+ and its a decent Shoei