PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Race Glass

DaveG
27-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a set of race glass on the way and whilst I am expecting it to be a long a patience sapping job, I wonder if I have fucked up;
I've ordered it painted already. But everything I've now read says don't paint it before you fit it.

Its a track bike so it's not the end of the world but has anyone fitted already painted race glass? And should i expect the paint now crack and splinter as i bend the glass to fit?

K6Thou
27-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Depends on who made it you might have to drill holes for fitting, a lot of race glass doesn't come pre-drilled. The paint should flex with the panel to a certain degree....

Redmohawk
27-01-2013, 10:23 AM
If it looks like the glass is going to need to bend a fair amount , use a heat gun/hair dryer to warm the paint to soften it before you put pressure on it, Will reduce the chance cracking significantly. Use band new 3 point wood drill bits for the glass, they're the ones that look like a conventional steel drill bit but have a small sharp point in the centre and a "wing point" on each outside cutting edge. They cut the fibers better on the glass and give a neater hole in fiberglass to reduce cracking at the edge.

DaveG
27-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Legend - cheers - I'll let you know what happens

Deano
27-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I would expect it should bea reasonable fit. Male the brackets to suit the glass not the other way round. They should use a flexible additive in the painf so flexing should not be an issue