PDA

View Full Version : WANTED single side swing arm wanted

yuma bizl
05-12-2012, 10:21 AM
hey gang,

I just sold my jap import skyline so have a bit more cash on hand. Any one gotta SSSA they wanna get rid of to go on my zx9? And a wheel to suit would be rad too.

Greg

kiwi kdx
05-12-2012, 10:35 AM
i think stiffie (stiffsimon) has one from memory.... a wheel too i think..

Tony Nitrous
05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Not trying to be a smart arse and state the obvious,
but from reading other threads, some SSA's seem a lot more suitable
and easier to fit than others.

Have you done much research into what others have used and their drama's ?

Might make life easier along the line ?

Personaly I wouldnt have a clue, but wanting "a SSSA" is a bit vauge ?

NINJAINOZ
05-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I looked into it also but as Tony mentioned it may be a hassle & not really worth it in the end, Some people people may like the look but it does not really appeal to me especially having odd wheels too

I had found (using my "annoying google ninja skills" as Tony calls it) most people dont consider the weight is offset & will throw out a bikes handling characteristics that is not designed for a single sided swingarm + it may weigh more than your stock ZX9 swingarm, You certainly dont want to add more weight to a ZX9>

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-9r/5971-single-sided-swingarms.html

I think a ZX10 (or a ZX-RR) swingarm would look way better anyway if one could be made to fit?
You would benefit more from spending money on the motor & some weight reduction if possible

stiffsimon
05-12-2012, 11:10 AM
PM sent Yuma

kiwi kdx
05-12-2012, 11:11 AM
....... spare cash then a stiffie????

stiffsimon
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
PS I think a SSSA and Trumpy wheel would be just the thing for your bike mate. All the kool kids have SSSa's :rolleyes: :cool:

stiffsimon
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Kiwi LOL who knows

latheboy
05-12-2012, 11:18 AM
"will throw out a bikes handling characteristics that is not designed for a single sided swingarm"

That's bullshit, if you work out all the angles and place the shock in the correct spot you won't have a problem.
My bike handles BETTER with a SSSA than it did with the OEM swinger.

Like Tony said, you better do some reading and find a swinger that will fit, I had to mod mine and removing 35mm off the width is not an easy job.

NINJAINOZ
05-12-2012, 11:30 AM
No its nothing to do with the shock at all it is the simple fact that the swingarm puts more weight on one side, May not be that significant but It will corner better one way compared to the other

TurboKat
05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
What a fucking load of crap !
Do you think the Honda & Ducati WSBK teams would have used them for years & won multiple World Championships with them if they compromised handling?

Tony Nitrous
05-12-2012, 11:37 AM
No its nothing to do with the shock at all it is the simple fact that the swingarm puts more weight on one side, May not be that significant but It will corner better one way compared to the other

I dont think so.

I dont like SSSA's because they're for show (im not a 24 hour endurance racer)
and to match a traditional arm they seem to carry more material / weight,
but have you riden many 916's ? VFR's ? Speed Triples ?
Whats your personal experience of their faults ?
They have zero preference to left or right.

Redmohawk
05-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Having one nut twice the size of the other doesnt seem to throw my rhythm to bad and I handle ok in the twistys.

latheboy
05-12-2012, 11:48 AM

Hmm you must be right, I just weighed my work boots and the right is heavier by 2 grams...
I always wondered why I turn right better.

Anyone want to buy my SSSA as our GOD of all knowing has proved that my bike will just fall over on the left and not turn right.

Tony Nitrous
05-12-2012, 12:06 PM
What a fucking load of crap !
Do you think the Honda & Ducati WSBK teams would have used them for years & won multiple World Championships with them if they compromised handling?

Most MotoGP / World Superbike tracks are clockwise.
Honda and Ducati both put that HUGE extra weight on the left so
the bike stands up better out of corners. If they had more anti-clockwise
tracks they'd have done it the other way around, dont you know anything!

(I may have just made this up, but its about as sensible as some of the other f#ckin' posts)

TurboKat
05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Now I'm really worried about how I got away with riding/racing dirtbikes for all those years, I only had 1 front disc!
I can only assume it was my faith in the Lord that saved me from turning hard right & smashing into a tree every time I braked.
Now that I think of it, I just realised the drive chain on my STREETFIGHTER is only on 1 side :eek: Won't it turn left when I XLR8 ?

NINJAINOZ
05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah a single side swingarm is probably only 2 grams heavier on one side!
As I mentioned it will probably not be that significant especially with the weight of a ZX9

The main point is the bikes that were originally made with single side swingarms would have the weight to offset the swingarm in the frame & engine
Bikes are not designed willy nilly with weight hanging off one side or are they?

I worked with a company that imports Ducati's & some that are rather pricey too, The owner is an ex racer, I was going to get an older Ducati myself to fix up but after riding & working on them I think Italians make spaghetti better, They are rather nice bikes still though

There is plenty of bikes out there with the same conversion with no worries but just pointing out another factor & I agree with Tony that they are designed for quick wheels changes & may look trick but not really needed

Chase
Doesn't matter what else is happening in the world, this place always bring a smile ;)

kiwi kdx
common guys... what did u think wheel weights were for??????

BANDITROD
05-12-2012, 12:21 PM
lol this is hilarious

ozzy1100
05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
weigth bias so as to upset the way it turns in ............. now i think i have heard it all
maybe it is time for us old boys that grew up in a time before computers and the web
to just step aside and realise that we can never know as much as those with google at thier disposal.

yuma bizl
05-12-2012, 01:03 PM
you kunts are funny as. i've heard the vfr750 is the easiest to fit as the are the narrowest and require less machining etc. I'm just throwing it out there to see whats laying about in peoples sheds eh.

BANDITROD
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
one of my mates has a complete polished vfr800 arm complete with everything in my shed he may want to sell but they are pretty wide

kiwi kdx
05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
yeah its real funny when your not one of the ones getting rarked up.... hehe

ALBI
05-12-2012, 01:53 PM
or you could get two SSSA and mount the 2nd onto the front make a cool front that way the weight is ballanced to the left and right !!
huh huh up there for thinking!!!!

latheboy
05-12-2012, 02:19 PM
or you could get two SSSA and mount the 2nd onto the front make a cool front that way the weight is ballanced to the left and right !!
huh huh up there for thinking!!!!

You Sir are a thunking man, better get a patient on that before someone builds it and takes the motorcycle world to the next level.

stiffsimon
05-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Still got my SSSA for sale. Every body else is wrong SSSA arms are the dogs bollocks and I know this to be a FACT cause I want to sell mine

Gix11
05-12-2012, 05:26 PM
What kind of patient were you thinking of Ivan? Mental?

Tony Nitrous
05-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Be quite appropriate around here recently !

latheboy
05-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Haha .. yeah I spell good don't I .. I knew what I meant that's all that matters

NINJAINOZ
05-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Geez thought I was a whinging pom, Tony & Lboy, You's need to fucking calm down a bit, Your in Australia, The sun is shining, Well a lot more than England anyway & Its only a swingarm so what if it weighs more on one side, Might be the reason why Ducati put the battery on the right side level with the swingarm?
Low post count & lack of experience in here = no knowledge I spose I will just ask & you's can answer

Ozzy, Weight bias I thought is the front/rear weight? I was talking about the left right weight of the bike (balance), If that does not matter then we can all ride to the bottle shop & strap a carton on the left footpeg & ride home taking corners (Especially left) at full speed, Or when cornering at speed just put all the weight on the inside peg if balanced weight does not matter?

BANDITROD
06-12-2012, 06:42 AM
i dont think 2 grams would do that maybe 2 kg

latheboy
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Post count means nothing to me, I you say something I disagree with I'll say so. That goes for everyone not just you and other low post count people.

Calm down hey, I think you'll find that I'm one of the most easy going people you'll meet.
It's ok to be wrong bud, I was wrong once... back in 1986 I think but everyone does.

yuma bizl
06-12-2012, 07:46 AM
i thought this thread was about looking for a swing arm?

Tony Nitrous
06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Low post count & lack of experience in here = no knowledge I spose

Not at all.

There are some VERY smart members who rarely post.
Steve Burns for one springs to mind.

Personaly when I have folk like Latheboy, Turbokat and Ozzy1100
pissing themself at me giving advice, I think i'd be questioning it a little.

ozzy1100
06-12-2012, 08:04 AM
take yr head out yr ass old boy
low post count means you dont have the history of people (tk lathe etc) and understand that they have done more than you can imagine and that if they have a diff opp there norm is a fucking good reason these two blokes are not idiots.
and please dont try and use semantics to undermine the piont i was makeing and then try and use examples to make you look like you know what the fuck you are talking about.
Yes of course wieght bias (and yes i use bias as it is a generic term) has a impact on the way a bike turns
now im shore you as i have spent the time to look at a sssa
myself i thought that the ofset hub and wheel spokes along with the design would mean the ofset wieght would be on the small side.
its the same as people not long ago talking about how there is slitly more flow out of bmc or f/n air filters on bikes with close to 200 hp... a intresting topic but at the end of the day meaning less in the real world.
now if you had of said to me about stuctural integrity of said arm in consideration to flex through a vertical flex plane from one side to the other well now you talking
wieght offset by a lever angle works as a lever same wieght close to pivot(center line of bike) has a lot less force than one more away.

NINJAINOZ
06-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Yes I agree Rod & mentioned the same thing that it would not be that significant, 2 grams nah, Maybe somewhere in between the numbers you posted? & weight balance does matter does it not?
Years & years of research & development by race teams, Engineers & manufacturers & they dont worry about evenly distributing weight when a bike is designed & built?

Your long history of always being correct Lboy clearly proves a single sided swingarm has perfectly balanced weight

Fair enough Tony, A rational reply with explanations rather than just swear words would suffice, I have/had (not sure?) respect for those who post lots of good stuff in here including the names you posted & you even seem/ed like a decent bloke but I dont just go assuming people are this & that without knowing them & run them down for utter shit, Just makes you's look like know it all's, We are all still learning aren't we or were some here born with the expert streetfighter building knowledge?

ozzy1100
06-12-2012, 08:06 AM
btw tony steve burns is god.......

Jed
06-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Get 2 SSSA's. Cut one off, turn it over. Weld onto the 1st SSSA, Then you'll have a SSSA on either side.

Weight distribution sorted. Simple really.

You guys crack me up.

yuma bizl
06-12-2012, 09:01 AM
my right foot is bigger than the left so with sssa and my mutant right toe, i'll be ok

latheboy
06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
"Your long history of always being correct Lboy clearly proves" that I'm taking the piss bud.

You have an opinion that differs to mine and that's great cause I'd hate to live in a world were everyone thought the same thing.

You or I have the correct opinion, I think it's TK,Tony,Ozzy and myself. Post count has fuck all to do with who I think is right.

Some fat bloke said this once.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee405/latheboy179/1234316239240.jpg

"born with the expert streetfighter building knowledge"
No, but some of us have many years of real world experiences.

sharky
06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
And I dress to the right so that counteracts the weight of the shaft drive and diff on the max :)

NINJAINOZ
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Jed & Yuma you's are forgetting a single side swingarm has balanced weight?

Anyway it would be good to see you get the swingarm conversion sorted (And your mutant toe?) with whatever swingarm you choose? Would that be ZX10 by any chance?

http://www.kawiforums.com/attachments/zx-9r/961d1198183287-post-pics-your-9-mybike1.jpg

Jed
06-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Jed & Yuma you's are forgetting a single side swingarm has balanced weight?

I was taking tha piss

EVLZX
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
You have an opinion that differs to mine and that's great cause I'd hate to live in a world were everyone thought the same thing.

You or I have the correct opinion, I think it's TK,Tony,Ozzy and myself. Post count has fuck all to do with who I think is right.

RevHead has 4,863 posts :D

kiwi kdx
06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
hey guys... im getting a lil bit worried that my R1 swinger will be off ballanced too.......

it has the cut out for the exhaust.... what if my exhaust is too heavy and it goes the other way?

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg173/d21terrano/20120610_161130.jpg

Hahahahaha im just playin, do it! get a SSSA on that beast!

yuma bizl
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
I'll try. but if i can find something else, i'll do it. Maybe a zx10r or similar. something that'll take less work. then i can put the zx9 back end on my zr550 cafefighter.

ozzy1100
06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Zrx 1100 on the 550 zephyr every time IMO :-)

yuma bizl
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM
i'll put a new engine in it when my girl gets off her p's

ozzy1100
06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
sorry i meant zrx 1100 swing arm
the gpz 550 that is in the 550 zephyr is a little cracker

ozzy1100
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
might not be the style u after but i think it works with the 550

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/ozzy1100/P153101_24-11-10600x450.jpg

yuma bizl
06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
that looks dope. mines just a matt black bomber at the moment

ozzy1100
06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
gsxr 750 92 usd front end $200-400 ?
zrx 1100 under braced arm $200-400
gsxr 92 1100 rims $200-400
hard bit is the machine work
i did my own stem ($250- 300 ?)
made a tool to machine swing arm to fit frame useing bat drill( easy if u know or know some 1 to help )
the rest is spacers to center every thing and a off set front spocket and a bit off the cush drive and it all fits
this was the ex's bike we were doing together so lets just say it hasnt gone done the road
id love some 1 to build a mid size bike like this they are just cring out for it they just work
one day i might get to finish but is at end of a very long list
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?12060-wifes-zephyr-550&highlight=wifes

and just cause i still give myself a chubby of this lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcY_GKH14jw&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4shSYxSz2o&feature=plcp