PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Dave from UK moving to Sydney.

sfoc711uk
31-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Not been on here for a while been really busy over here getting ready to move.Should be flying out in around 3 weeks time but a couple of questions for ya.
Does anybody know of any houses up for rent in the south west suburbs of Sydney.
Does anyone have a half decent car for sale, and any ideas roughly how much a taxi will be from sydney airport when we arrive to the said suburbs or is it better renting a car from the airport.

damo1
31-08-2008, 08:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by sfoc711uk

Not been on here for a while been really busy over here getting ready to move.Should be flying out in around 3 weeks time but a couple of questions for ya.
Does anybody know of any houses up for rent in the south west suburbs of Sydney.
Does anyone have a half decent car for sale, and any ideas roughly how much a taxi will be from sydney airport when we arrive to the said suburbs or is it better renting a car from the airport.

Yeah heaps good luck finding one its a renters nightmare at the moment.

I got an X5 bmw for sale for 50k if thats what your after.

Taxi :D fuckn heaps those thevn barstards will take you all over Sydney pretending that there doing the right thing for you.And then the next day you relize that its only round the corner.[xx(]

Depends on the distance i know from the airport to the northern beachs itll cost you about 80-90 bucks thats about 50ks there abouts.

So were getting another pom here ah.[?]

Fuck you guys sent us here as convicts back in the 1800 to this shit hole and now your wanting to move here cause you relised its gods country and were you sent us from is the hole.[^]

Welcome hope you enjoy your move.[:X]

sfoc711uk
31-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Now were coming to educate ya on bikes ha ha.Dont know about enjoying the move its self but once we get there and sorted it will be ok.Think its about 60k from Sydney to where were going.

Gix11
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Welcome back Dave. I'll Stick this question in the NSW events area of the forum mate and you'll get an answer. I don't know shit about Sydney myself.

dave_isbald
01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey Dave - welcome

Have a look at these sites for places. Damo is right, the place is shite for rentals. If I can get the freeloading little fuck thats in my place out in time I'll have one for you!

This one's got cheaper places on;

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/

These are where the real estate guys advertise:

http://www.realestate.com.au/

http://www.domain.com.au/

Jockney Rebel
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
oi oi dave welcome mate ull love this gaff its the bollox ,my sis in law lives in camden ill give her a call and see whats about,as for a motor the prices on the big stuff is dropping like a stone mate ,get yourself a jap motor ,avoid anything european unless youve got bundles of dosh, about 5k should get u off the blocks ,something thatll last u a couple of years till you find summat better

Bear
01-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Or get a Holden Dunnydoor (Commodore). Loads of them about and parts are cheap as chips and everywhere.

oldskool
01-09-2008, 11:22 PM
My advice is dont move to sydney .

Shadowzone
02-09-2008, 12:01 AM
I second that motion oldskool, come join us up here in God's own country aka Queensland. Better weather, better Women, better roads for riding, (well that's debatable really I reckon its a toss up between Glorious and Nasho, they're both great in their own way) and, the Qldr's will tell you they have the better footy teams, but since I'm a NSWman I have to disagree with that.

miniman1
02-09-2008, 12:32 AM
where bouts u goin in south-west syd???

I live in Campbelltown, think it cost me bout $120 to get home from d city 1 nyt, but i was pretty drunk, so im not entirely sure :)

There is a train from the airport too, much cheaper than a taxi

sfoc711uk
02-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Thats where im gonna be working in campbelltown and looking at maybe Mt Annan to rent to start. Ive gotta go there first cos thats where the job is so no choice at the moment but got a mate whos going to Brisbane and wouldnt mind ending up there maybe.

Hey Dave_isbald where is your place then,only problem ive got is missus and 2 kids so our lass wants somewhere spotless.And Jockney thats what im looking for a cheapy till things get more sorted.

Got someone to rent our house and now maybe a buyer and we have planned to go in about 2 weeks its fucking mental.Still waiting for word that i can import my bike and probably strip the other and ship it on a pallet as parts.

miniman1
02-09-2008, 07:03 PM
where u gona b working in C'town mate???

Sydney City Motorcycles????

sfoc711uk
02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes sure am.

miniman1
02-09-2008, 09:30 PM
U'll feel right at home, they've been importing a few workers lately.

My names Scott, ill c u at work ;)

When u starting???

Bear
02-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Take a look around Camden or Narellan for houses - they're just the other side of the freeway, opposite Campbelltown, and semi-rural ie. you should find decent sized sheds/garages.

sfoc711uk
03-09-2008, 04:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by miniman1

U'll feel right at home, they've been importing a few workers lately.

My names Scott, ill c u at work ;)

When u starting???

How long have you been there then,they told me the in a email they had another british guy there but not how many. we are flying out on the 16th of sept.

sfoc711uk
03-09-2008, 04:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

Take a look around Camden or Narellan for houses - they're just the other side of the freeway, opposite Campbelltown, and semi-rural ie. you should find decent sized sheds/garages.

The garage is a major factor, whats these areas like and the schools.

miniman1
03-09-2008, 11:58 AM
well, ive technically been workin there since August last year, but I had a big accident in november and have been off on compo since, i should be goin back to work next week tho.

As for the areas, probably the further towards Narrelan/Camden you go the better. If you move to Camden, it should only take you round 15mins to get to work. Its a reasonably quiet area, decent people/schools etc......

03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
PM sent mate

You poms are alright at Sydney City, Martin's been looking after me ok there :)

sfoc711uk
03-09-2008, 10:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

PM sent mate

You poms are alright at Sydney City, Martin's been looking after me ok there :)

Cant get my pms mate thats my old email address and i cant remember the password to change it.will pm you.

So are you a brit working there or is martin?.

miniman1
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
nah, Im ozzy mate........

Martin's only moved over here and started recently, but i heard they may be hiring a couple other poms 2, im guessin ur 1 of em.

pappas
05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
My mate has an EL Falcon for sale unregistered for $1500neg. It's got 150,000k's on it but it's still in good nick.

Looks something like this.....
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/60571562104623.jpg

sfoc711uk
12-09-2008, 06:09 AM
owt will do to run about in, whats un registered mean then. Cos in the uk it means something different.

Lucas
12-09-2008, 08:50 AM
You need registration on the vehicle to be able to legally drive on public roads.
get caught(in Canberra) and you'll be up for an $1100 fine as just a starting point.

Advice for moving over here, when out bush watch out for drop bears and only eat road kill roo's that have been marked with pink dye.

I'm not too sure about the rest of the country but in the ACT and SE NSW the road kill roo's and wombats are marked with a heat active dye. After an animal first dies it body temp falls to that of it surroundings. As the decompisition process begins the internal body tepmerature of the dead animal gradually increases. Parks and Conservation officers drive around and mark road kill with this pink dye, normally an 'X' or just a line in the most visable area. The dye fades as the animal decomposes and the meat turns. The brighter the dye the fresher the meat.

You may come across animals marked with yellow or green flouro dye, DON'T eat these, they've been baited with 1080 poison, they are used to knock down wild dogs.

sfoc711uk
13-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Im sure i will be able to afford to go shopping and eat as normal people do and not pickup roadkill.:D

Bear
13-09-2008, 03:31 PM
lol ^^ :D
You're going to fit in here nicely.

Jockney Rebel
13-09-2008, 03:43 PM
see ya for a beer and a ride soon then dave ..that el Falcons about the same size as one of our Ford Granadas ..but with a bigger lump !!
regestering a car heres much the same as the uk u need ctp[ basic]insurance and the registraion fee plus a blue slip [mot ] unlees its been unreg for three months or more then u need a pink slip [basically an id of the vehicle ]whenu buy it get the guy to say he sold it to you for 700bucks or summat that way ur rego will be cheaper its on a sliding scale depending on the value should caost you about 300-400bucks for the ctp and rego..and about 40bucks for ur blue slip ..btw u can change ur uklicence straaight over at any rta office for an aussie one no problem

sfoc711uk
18-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Think ill just buy one thats registered,seems like a load of hassle. Dont know about meet you for a ride its gonna take about 8 weeks or more for my bike to get there then ive got to get that legal.

Merlyn
18-09-2008, 01:59 PM
everything to do with the RTA is a hassle... although its good now that is your car is under 5 years old you dont need a pink slip.

but at least you should be able to find a house round Camden, Mount Annan, Currans Hill... id suggest Currans Hill over Mount Annan as its more family oriented with less junkies and not right in the midst of Campbelltown. There's also Narellan which is worth a look.

Welcome to Sydney, its the only City worth living in :) Dont listen to the Queenslanders, theyre just overcome by mosquitos, cane toads and bogans! *runs* [B)]

Bear
18-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Darn and I rode the backroads around Picton/Camden a while ago and although they're a bit rouch in places, there were buggar-all cars using them and a some twisty bits. That'll be in your backyard around that area you're looking it.

kawakid
20-09-2008, 03:44 PM
more bloody poms - as if we need them! Spot the Aussie these days between teh poms, the asians and lebs no room for us lol

NNNGary
20-09-2008, 04:45 PM
hey mate, wont be till January but i am lookin for a 3 bedder place in the Holsworthy/Liverpool area (not far from Cambelltown) so if you can find temp accom till then you will be more than welcome to the safety and security of my place.

and if you have a preference for a cheap car give me a yell and I will try to hook you up, my uncle is the shiznit with Egay and is pretty good at finding cheap fords and makin sure they go alright.

geesexar
21-09-2008, 01:59 AM
welcome to oz dave..enjoy gods country

sfoc711uk
21-09-2008, 04:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by NNNGary

hey mate, wont be till January but i am lookin for a 3 bedder place in the Holsworthy/Liverpool area (not far from Cambelltown) so if you can find temp accom till then you will be more than welcome to the safety and security of my place.

and if you have a preference for a cheap car give me a yell and I will try to hook you up, my uncle is the shiznit with Egay and is pretty good at finding cheap fords and makin sure they go alright.

Thanks for that mate, where abouts is your place then it could be well worth looking into.
And as for a car im not really bothered what it is as long as it goes and stops and its cheap. Just a runabout until we get settled and can get a better one.

21-09-2008, 06:01 AM
I got one I'm not using car that is

sfoc711uk
23-09-2008, 07:56 AM

How much is yours bud and what is it, also ready to go on the road no registration needed or the like.

Jockney Rebel
23-09-2008, 08:01 PM
see ya soon dave ...

sfoc711uk
24-09-2008, 07:48 AM
yes will be there 23rd october aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!. Dont seem real shitting it now.

sfoc711uk
01-10-2008, 08:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by sfoc711uk

How much is yours bud and what is it, also ready to go on the road no registration needed or the like.

Bump

01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
93 Ford fairmont...
I'll see a mechanic and see what needs doing for NSW rego as it's currently red'd in QLD.

Jockney Rebel
01-10-2008, 06:51 PM
ere dave u know ull be flyin upside down when u get here lol

sfoc711uk
06-10-2008, 06:43 AM
yes had that feeling last year its weird:D

sfoc711uk
06-10-2008, 06:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by dave_isbald

Hey Dave - welcome

Have a look at these sites for places. Damo is right, the place is shite for rentals. If I can get the freeloading little fuck thats in my place out in time I'll have one for you!

This one's got cheaper places on;

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/

These are where the real estate guys advertise:

http://www.realestate.com.au/

http://www.domain.com.au/

Any news with the house mate,and where is it if empty.

sfoc711uk
15-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Well 1 week to go and we are there so any more answers to the above ive asked.;)

Merlyn
15-10-2008, 12:48 PM
The best thing to do when you get to Australia, is Love it. You'll be fine :) We're friendly and most people are willing to give you a hand. Just reach out to the blokes here and youll be right!

How exciting for you, I really hope you love it here and stay for a long time. Sydney is the best city in the world (this comes from someone who has never left Australia) ;):D

miniman1
15-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Dont worry mate, If you need a hand with anything when you get here ill see what i can do to help.

As Merlyn said, 'We're a friendly bunch' :)

sfoc711uk
16-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks guys and if i can help anybody in return with there bikes i will ;);).

Jockney Rebel
17-10-2008, 12:41 AM
c ya next week mate remeber beer time s a comin ..u reallly will have to bring ur lot up the coast here ive plenty of room if ya wanna barbie and beer and crash lol and the beach is only 10mins from my front door

sfoc711uk
17-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes next week and still not packed the bike and another to strip down into bits maybe.

scotty
22-10-2008, 09:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by oldskool

My advice is dont move to sydney .

+ 1[8D]

Lucas
22-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Just don't go to Cronulla and punch a lifeguard;)

Gix11
23-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Dave should be here today? Wonder how he went?

miniman1
23-10-2008, 08:45 PM
yeah, might hav 2 make an appearance at work 2moro and see if he made it ok.

24-10-2008, 02:49 PM
He made it here safely...even survived the trip in the fogged up ford