PDA

View Full Version : 88 gixxer street fighter (work in progress)

03gixxerpilot
30-01-2006, 11:14 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/803762949240831.jpg
pic of the 88 street fighter in progress, the RGV front is being replaced by a R1 USD's with 5 spoke rim, and the tail piece is going to be an 04-05 R1 unit. this is the chassis that the 1371 is going into.

03gixxerpilot
30-01-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/803762949226285.jpg
from a diffrent angle

Razorback
31-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Looking promising. Is that a VTR single sider ?

Gix11
31-01-2006, 08:50 AM
It's almost a shame you're getting rid of the RGV tail piece. Any of the English guys here who were around when Streetfighters first started showing up will tell you, that it was the original Streetfighter "must have" tail piece. Looks a bit big and dated now but at the time it was the 916 tail equivalent.

03gixxerpilot
31-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Yes '95 VFR single sider, I'm putting together a how to artical for it, it needs the shock mounted in it and when i'v finished that i'll sen the atrical to Gix11 to post up as a sticky.
If i had keept to the original idea i would have stayed with the rgv tail, but since i've decided to go overboard with the 1100 motor, and make it into a bit of a show bike, i've decided to go for the more moden fighter look. If you look closly its also got a 91 modle tank on it, which is not a bolt over conversion.
Just out of intrest who likes the RGV tail and who likes the 04 R1 tail idea.

Gix11
31-01-2006, 09:12 AM
I didn't notice the tank mate. Nice work! You did such a good job I totally ignored the old slabside frame.

As for tails, are you going to do the underseats on the '04 R1 as well? What would it look like without them?

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/87677997228857.jpg

03gixxerpilot
31-01-2006, 10:54 AM
yep thats the one best under tail exhust since the 916.

03gixxerpilot
31-01-2006, 11:13 AM
proberly have after market cans on it though and no bitch pad. thats what the other bike is for.

03gixxerpilot
02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
made a bit more progress today, i've got the bike out of storage ( been moving houses a bit over the last few months ) and over to stevo's w/shop where i have access to the right equpiment to make progress on the project, so the first order of business ( besides putting the 03 back together) is to finish of the swingarm and suspention, as i do this i'll make an indetail " how to " including pics and drawings.

.................................................. ..NOW all i need to do is figure out where i put the suspension parts and i'll be right!!!!!!!!!!!! ;/

Gix11
02-02-2006, 05:42 PM
There'll be somewhere safe mate, don't you worry, they always are.

03gixxerpilot
02-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Yea the other problem is that most of the other parts for it are with them
I'll look for them next week, unfortunitaly the week end is my bussy time for work, mind you it has its advantages having my weekend during everyone elses week LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevo
02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Just thinkin if we need to make custom linkages it might be worthwhile gettin 'em lazer cut ... will depend on thickness and shape... but we could get a little cute with the profile...

The other bits we were lookin at as far as mounting points will be a piece of piss...

03gixxerpilot
02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
was thinking the same thing, but also keeping as much as posible standard untill finished then going to the bling, how ever if we need to get cute befor that then that will be our best bet for sure.

Razorback
03-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Whats the donk ?

03gixxerpilot
03-02-2006, 01:19 PM
donk is going to be my '90 11 taken out to 1371cc
see 03gixxerpilot's '90 gixxer 11 big bore

03gixxerpilot
03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
[8D]donk is going to be my '90 1100

[}:)]it will given to stevo who will take it out to 1371 with a big block kit ( looking like we gona use the APE kit ) fittet with 2002 fuel injection ( ie the entire engine managment system fuel and ignition ) updated to busa throttle bodies, loots of head work, and associated cams, aftermarket conrods, stud kit for barrels etc, and any thing else that we need to do to it to make 200 reat wheel HP reliably ( we have one of the most pesimistic dynos around so if we can get to the 200 HP or close we will almost certianly get it on any other dyno ) I will keep a record of all the work ( altough some thing will be generlised like cam profiles ) and put up an artical in the how to section. if you got any questions on how to do anything that we are doing please ask ( you and Phone me 0405276179) and we will try to help as best as we can.

BOHEMION
03-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah mate.. did you have any probs with the rear suspension linkage on the swing arm??

03gixxerpilot
03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
yea there are a few issues there, the shock is off set in the swing arm and the linkages dont line up, I have'n done much to the swing arm since mounting it and getting the alingment on the wheel and sprocket done, ( i haven't haven't had time or a w/shop to do it but now it's at stevo's i can make some progress on it ) I am about to finish all the alinment work on the suspension, we are properly going to use most of the VFR suspension with the exciption of the shock ( which is miles to long ) by replacing it with a 02 gsxr unit, and the dog bones will prob be replaced by a set of adjustibale units, i will take photos of what has been done so far and what we do with the rest of it as we go and post them up ( next week )
If you are looking at doing the same thing to a gixxer and havent already got a chassis i would recomed getting a 750 slingshot chassis the reason for which will become apprant when you see how we mount the top mount of the shock.

fimpBIKES
03-02-2006, 08:22 PM
200bhp, bloody hell!!!
that'll be a monster and a half :D

there is a gixxer shock for sale on OSB at the moment if u need one

cammy9r
03-02-2006, 08:28 PM
If you’re looking at going the modern route I would probably go with something like that r1 tail in the pic.
I really like these Suzuki’s with the flat frame and tank. They make great bases for fighters. I have also seen some of these with tails fitted that look like they have no sub frame and some that look like you are using the exhaust to mount the seat. Always fancied the look of the single sider for my 9r but I assume it lots of work to do. So any insight will very much appreciated

03gixxerpilot
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
yep already decided to go the 04 R1 tail as i said at the begining of the post, the photos are a bit outa date, i dont have the tail unit yet, but got the shock and suspension unit, also got full engine management system of 02 gixxer as well which we are going to use to run the old oil boiler, even got the power comander IIIR as well, we'er looking at that figure with natural aspriation, ie not turbo, NO2 etc.

dRRew
04-02-2006, 12:34 AM
far out pilot that rig is going to be unreal!! sounds like its going to be a sight to see when its done, lots of effort going in. keep us posted and as always...

MORE PICS

dRRew

03gixxerpilot
04-02-2006, 06:11 AM
I'm afraid that the only pic's for a while will be of a tecnical nature, ie swing arm mounts etc.

cammy9r
04-02-2006, 09:50 PM
^ no probs with that :D, keep them coming.

03gixxerpilot
04-02-2006, 09:55 PM
sure thing :)

dRRew
06-02-2006, 11:31 AM
hell yeah keep em flowing pilot.

03gixxerpilot
07-09-2006, 09:00 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/03gixxerpilot/OPS/711%20fighter/DVC00039.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/03gixxerpilot/OPS/711%20fighter/DVC00038.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/03gixxerpilot/OPS/711%20fighter/DVC00037.jpg

got this yesterday, still don't know weather i will cut it up to use on the shorty tail for the fighter or weather i will take a mold and make a fiberglass one to modify, its abs plastic and apprently hard to weld, whats your opinions

WATEVR
07-09-2006, 01:44 PM
dont know about the welding but that is a super choice of tail unit!! maybe go the fibre glass option as you may have yourself a new way for paying for the rest of your conversion?

pesh
07-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Love that tail unit clive .. its nice as dont be cuttin that up ... thats the tail im guna put on my new fighter .. real nice

gibbo
07-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Do like those tails as is, but if you decide to cut it up abs is quite easy to weld, just make sure you use abs rod when doing the welding. Alternatively use 3M panel bond to glue it back together, very strong, can be sanded and painted. If needed you can reinforce it with fibreglass matting, much stronger than welding.

Hillsy
07-09-2006, 08:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

Do like those tails as is, but if you decide to cut it up abs is quite easy to weld, just make sure you use abs rod when doing the welding. Alternatively use 3M panel bond to glue it back together, very strong, can be sanded and painted. If needed you can reinforce it with fibreglass matting, much stronger than welding.

Yep - ditto with getting the right rods. You can get them in colours too - especially for bike fairings. The welding isn't that hard, it's just practice / technique. Biggest thing to watch out for is that you don't distort the panel with too much heat.
I did my write-off ZX9 fairing with a heat gun that a made a step-down adapter for (down to 8MM). It was busted up pretty bad, and that saved my $$$$.
By the way, that's a nice tail piece.

03gixxerpilot
08-09-2006, 03:38 AM
I was looking at the shorty seat style, with the tail cut down to fit around the riders seat doing away with the pillion seat, something compleatly diffrent, i'll put it on the chassis tomarrow and see what it look like as is and then make a decission on what to do after that.

IF i do cut it down its going to need a fair bit of filler to get it in shape and propotion, what do you use to fill fairings with.

03gixxerpilot
08-09-2006, 08:26 PM
wanted: YOUR opinion should i fit the tail unit as is ( the easy way out )or
should i cut it down and make a shorty seat unit ( the harder way out )

to be honist im a bit undecided, i was quite happy to cut it down, but when i got it it seemed a pitty to cut it down, how ever having said thatm i am keen to fit a shorty seat onto the fighter as it would be very diffrent, i have discussed this with a few of you in another post and there seem to be two diffrent lines of thought.

please give your opinion and why you would go that way

Cheers Clive.

Large
08-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Cut it down because you'll be the only one with one just like that

dane_ra
09-09-2006, 09:09 PM
U use bog/auto filler to do it mate.... CHOPIT!

03gixxerpilot
09-09-2006, 10:53 PM
what brand is best and how well dose it stick to the plastic,
also do you get problems with it cracking ?

stevo
18-09-2006, 02:07 PM
cut it and shut it.... I've got ABS rods if ya fuck it...

03gixxerpilot
18-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Ok cut and shut wins
I'll be over later this week stevo

03gixxerpilot
09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Right O I have set aside a few of the things that are taking up time and finances that are preventing me from making progress on the fighter, also i am consolidating ( abandining/selling ) a few of my other projects to make this one my proirty

So un update of the progress and plans for it as it stands at the moment.

I have decided ( due to the hasels of getting an enginering cert for the mods ) to go for the 88 750 gixxer chassis ( i have purchased on from chopper just got to get it sent up to Townsville ) because i dont have to cut old suspention mounts of and weld new ones on, so the engineres will be happer with the VFR SSSA, The 06 gixxer shorty tail is still the tail unit that i am going to put on ( no not kicked up ) going to keep the orignal tank, going to go for an late USD with radial calipers, a cbr1300 front wheel ( as these match the VFR ones and are a 5 spoke wheel ) the head lights are an VTR belly faring modified ( i have a mock up of it done- pnotos when i get back from holidays ) exhaust will ( hopefully ) be a shorty exiting on the right side just befor the wheel, but this will depend on the engine combination that stevo is putting for me, since i'm on that subject the motivative power is going to be an 90 model 1100 motor taken out to 1371cc, with falicon knife rods, a lockup clutch, some very extensive head work, and finaly to provide fuel and spark a compleat 02 gixxer fuel injection system assisted by a powercomander IIIR.

Phill
09-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Thought about shortening the subframe to suit the seat / tailpiece?
Hopefully thats what Im doing to mine.
The rest sounds great.
Phill

chopaweeza
09-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I sold that frame to fund my scratch & sneeze card addiction mate. Didn't I tell you....... Just fucking with you. On pills. Got run over while inspecting a car. The Crack Whore owner had it in gear when she started it and ran me down. I'm bruised all over, have a concussion and had to pop my knee back in but otherwise I'm good. As we'd say in the service-Weeds don't die easily. The frame is still tucked away in the granny flat away from prying eye's . No rush . Just when you are ready.

03gixxerpilot
09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
thanks mate, hope it dosent affect your build off to much, i got to move house when i get back to townsville, but once i got settled in i'll get it up

phill yes i will have to shorten the subframe, proberly custom subframe will have to do, but the less i mod the easer it is to get past an enginers cert, alot of research has gone into this build so that i satisfy all the ADR's and conditions to keep the enginers happy.

pesh
09-03-2007, 06:18 PM
TUFF M8 that tail piece is gunna look so sweet ... does it really require that much cutting down .. cause the R6 tail that i used is heaps short due to the seat being really long on the r6.. i just moved the whole lot forward ans shortened the seat ;) ... anyways clive lookin good

03gixxerpilot
10-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Yer, trying to make it so that the riders seat is where the pilion seat is an have no pilion, but i wont do anything untill i get the chassis up here and a tank for it so that i can see how every thing is going to look. I'm in brisbane at the moment and we going to bike shops today looking around, im going to see if i can get a fiberglass one as i think that would be easer to cut down and reshape to suit my needs, anyway off to springwood suzuki for brecky and see where we go from there.

shift1313
10-03-2007, 11:48 PM
should be cool. I would say dont cut it, just slide it forward and go from there but thats me. And i usually cut:). Its a shame. If you have the skill maybe fiberglass a mold of it that way you dont worry about messing one up you can modify it, and if it looks bad you can lay another one in the mold.

cant wait

03gixxerpilot
11-03-2007, 08:52 PM
was/still keen to get one of a race bike ( or for a race bike ) but i can't but just the tail piece, i have been told to go to the ausi superbike site and ask if someone has a damaged/spare one, I'll do thisonce i get back to Townsville.

damo1
11-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Photos get them up dont keep us in suspence.

03gixxerpilot
12-03-2007, 09:14 AM
much of what i have is already up in this post, you will have to go through it to find them, but as soon as i get back to TSV and i find someone with the net on ( or i get a new ISP ) i will get a camra and take an up to date set of pic and put them up as well as a list of what i have got done and what i need to do/ need to get.

A lot of things have changed since i first started this build, some has changed because it will make it easer to get an enginers cret, others have changed because i have found something that will look better ( i guess you could say it's evolving befor it even gets built )
but that is part of building a bike anyway.