PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion needed ASAP!

qickdraw
11-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I need a quick show of hands from the masses here for this (purely hypothetical of course!) question -

If there was a shop opening up with all of your favourite 'fighter parts and a great atmosphere for a place to meet other like-minded guys/girls before/after a ride, where do you reckon would be the best place -

a. Mt Kuring-gai (start of the Old Pac Hwy)
b. Dural (start of Old Northern Rd to Wisemans Ferry)
c. North Richmond (start of Bells Line of Rd to Lithgow)
d. City/Parramatta (around existing bike shops)

Your opinion may just influence someones decision very soon.....;)

Lucas
11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Coming from a Canberra opinion(therefore probably void[:p]), I'd opt for Kuring-gai, only cause most of my Sydney based fam lives between Pymble/Normanhurst/Brooklyn and it'd be more accessable when I'm up that way.

It would also be easier to find for non residents, everyone knows the road north...

hooligan
11-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Depends what you wanna do, i guess. If it's somwhere near a great riding road, I'd use it like the road warriors cafe. But I wouldn't come to buy parts, I'd just hang around.
Do you want a shop, or a meeting point? I think Parra or the city for a retail store, riding roads for a place to hang out. Didn't MotoFX have throttle stop in Mt Colah? That was shit (mostly 'cause they were shit) because, well, if you wanted to look at a part, considering spending cash on a part, It was too far for most people to go.
You can look up info on the bureau of statistics website for free. Things like (I'm guessing) how many bikes in an area, income/disposable income in the area, rental prices, average age of people in the area etc.
If you're relying on people meeting at the shop for rides to get people there, you might need to sell food, too, cause every rider eats, not everyone enjoys looking at parts (we do, but unforunately, there's not enough of us).
Oh, and I still don't have a job. :D

Fight_fan
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I was thinkin Parra for a retail point of view too! U gonna need any staff Stu? :D

qickdraw
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by hooligan

If you're relying on people meeting at the shop for rides to get people there, you might need to sell food, too, cause every rider eats, not everyone enjoys looking at parts (we do, but unforunately, there's not enough of us).

Yep, I'm all over that aspect of things - wanna job? How good RU @ making coffee & cutting up cheesecake[?]:D

Cruisecontrol
11-07-2008, 10:48 AM
If the online thing is still going to happen then I would say lean towards a meet-up point prior to rides and the obvious one is where Chris mentioned. A lot of bikes go past the old Throttle Stop and you might just pick up a lot of impulse type buyers for goods that they may not have known about via the interwebs.

Fight_fan
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by qickdraw

[quote]
Yep, I'm all over that aspect of things - wanna job? How good RU @ making coffee & cutting up cheesecake[?]:D

Surprisingly good mate! ;)

pt
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
i would be a bit wary of putting it near the start of a riding road. Throttle stop died in the arse unfortunately, but everytime i went up there i just rode past cause there was riding to be done. then stopped at Road warriors cause it was closest. If you want to move stock i would really avoid putting it near a riding road. you just won't get the people rocking up with money burnign a hole in their pocket.

however parra or the city would be easy to get to for most people and you would catch all the people looking at bikes and gear and ready to buy. although with that exposure the rent probably increases by about 20 times. and you risk upsetting all the well entrenched shops like MCAS etc.

much of a muchness really, but definitely put it somewhere that fits with what you want to do:
provide a place to meet up and have a bite/coffee.
OR
place to buy parts and drool.

one probably needs to be sacrificed for the other...

11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Anywhere you want....I'd avoid it like the plague

qickdraw
11-07-2008, 11:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

Anywhere you want....I'd avoid it like the plague

Haha! Thanks for the input!:)

Ross_247
11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
anywhere and id be there fa shaw..

NEar the old road would be cool.. but city ya cant go wrong, ...

would need to sell beer aswell..

hooligan
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM

quote:Originally posted by hooligan

Crap at coffee, and as of Wednesday's doctors appointment, i'm now permanently out of the kitchen. I'm great at eating cheesecake, though.

fimpBIKES
11-07-2008, 01:27 PM
i wouldnt bother stu
i've no fuckin idea how businesses can operate these days, who goes to shops anyways?
i have 5 bike shops within a k of my house and i'd be lucky to spend 5% of my bike budget at ANY of em!

moto-fx was a great location for me coming down from newy
but i only went there maybe twice, bought some levers and a dvd?

Jockney Rebel
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
mt kurangi ....cos then i can come down and get u in more trouble ...btw ill muck in occasionally if yer stuck mate wherever it is

rod185651
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey Stu, PM sent mate

pappas
11-07-2008, 03:21 PM
We always used to meet at the BP on the Old Pacific Hwy. Somewhere there would be a good spot.

Jay_G
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
It would be interesting to see how comparable style like shops are functioning in their current positions like Deus in Syd and i think morgan and wacker in brisbane offer a parts,bike/latte style bussines.
will it have a small workshop service like for changing/repairing tyres. tyre service near the twisties may not be a good idea due to people wanting to give it some on fresh slipery tyres, i remember when i was working in a bike shop in brissy a bloke punted his TRX down the road within 30 km of putting a new rear on it and came in trying to get the shop to pay for it because supposedly we didn't tell him to take it easy (we Had).

Dark Reign
11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
You have mail!

suxukifreak
11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Im with FIMP on this.

Last time i was in a bike shop was,
Springwood Suzuki for Bacon & eggs on a saturday morning.

Just my 2 cents.

sharky
11-07-2008, 05:41 PM
quote:Im with FIMP on this
'fraid I must agree with the Gimp too...
How much stock do you have move now to make $xx profit compared to what you'd need to shift after paying rent/lease etc to get the same income ??

Weaselman
11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
id say the city cus im in the burbs but rent there is bollox

Large
11-07-2008, 09:18 PM
How about buying/setting up a truck like the Snap On guys do and heading out to popular spots?

(I'll take 10% for that idea thanks!)

Bear
11-07-2008, 09:30 PM
As a road-side cafe - I'd look at parts demo'd on bikes with ordering/delivery options and things like that while I was having a bite, preferably a burger. Maybe a coffee or if it's brekky, pancakes. Just suggestions.

If it's more parts sales oriented, I agree with others previous - somewhere around Parra near other bike shops but wouldn't bother with the cafe side of things.

I think Deus does ok cafe-wise because of the type of riders their bikes attract = inner-city scene setters/stealers who aren't as pure ride orientated as streetfighters. I could be wrong but that's my assumption. I known of a few people who aren't into bikes (mainly women) but love just going to the Deus cafe and looking at them.

Hillsy
11-07-2008, 09:54 PM
No one can agree Stu - you better move to Brisbane then :D

rod185651
11-07-2008, 11:18 PM
OK guys you can't compare Deus Ex machina to what Stu is capable of doing immediately. Deus is owned by some big guns; ex owner of grinders coffee (sold to coca cola) he still owns ICEBERGS at Bondi (as far as I know), owners of Action Motor cycles, and Reg from Mental as Anything to name a few. So these guys can afford to run Deus Ex Machina at a loss, Fuck!! Reg gets his bike tuned at a competitor's workshop. and as long as their other interests can carry the wait Deus will survive. To have a bike shop/ cafe you need many things eg. good location, good atmosphere, good product, Good Coffee, good food and lots of money to carry you initially for at least six months because every body is not going to spend money at your place straight away. Then you have to worry about staff, the retail / hospitality staff are the most unreliable transient people I have ever met. You are dealing with students, travelers and the LOST. I know because I am the Later. So you have to know how to do everybody's job so when they don't turn up you can do their job. Also, you have to be prepared to compromise, look at Firebrand; they service and sell scooters to pay the bills so they can build bikes like they're flagships the Busa and R1. Open a shop in Parramatta? Forget about it... Frasers is already expanding to a new location which includes a cafe. Listen to me? Fuck that! I'm pissed! Been drinking all night!! Good luck Stu, I'll come and spend my money at your new venture.

Bear
11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey Rod, don't get me wrong.

I know all about Deus and I was using it as an example.
Deus is one end of the street, Road warriors is the other.
The man asked but it seems obvious from all the replies that you can't have your cheesecake and eat it to (pun intended). :D

It's either a bike stop or a bike shop, no? :)

Stu, if you can combine the two, you're set.

rod185651
12-07-2008, 12:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

Hey Rod, don't get me wrong.

I know all about Deus and I was using it as an example.
Deus is one end of the street, Road warriors is the other.
The man asked but it seems obvious from all the replies that you can't have your cheesecake and eat it to (pun intended). :D

It's either a bike stop or a bike shop, no? :)

Stu, if you can combine the two, you're set.

Hey Bear, my rant wasn't directed at you or anyone, just a drunken opinion [8D]:D

Jockney Rebel
12-07-2008, 02:44 AM
..since ur thinking of moving up here anyway there are some new sites going up at somersby [i know the pac highways closed butit wont be forever ] and its real close to the freeway ..plus ull have np compitition and no neighbors to piss off as its all industrial[the oz trike boys have a unit up there ]
i reckon put it next to the BMW dealer ship [cos as soon as petrol hits 3 bucks a litre in 18 months ull be pullin punters fromthe cars lots , who cant afford to run V8s anymore and want unique bikes ] but wherever u put it i reckon itll do well btw dont employ hosp staff ..do a self service thing for the nosh and coffee

pt
12-07-2008, 06:30 PM
just saw a new shop on oxford street[:0] with deus all over the front windows. reckon they might be tapping in on all the DINKS that hang around there. no one can compete with fat wads of money!

Weaselman
12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
what a dink?

Large
12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Dick in Krapper

Cruisecontrol
12-07-2008, 08:05 PM
D.ouble
I.ncome
N.o
K.ids

pt
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

D.ouble
I.ncome
N.o
K.ids

what he said. can't make babies with two of the same.

qickdraw
14-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Wow - this really seems to have generated some interest....
Many thanks for all of the responses/ideas guys, keep 'em coming!
Dural & North Richmond have now been eliminated as options, but now option E has just become available - Victoria Rd, Castle Hill. This one seems to be a reasonable compromise between metro location convenience and proximity to decent riding roads.

chadams
15-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Vic Rd castle hill is a good location, but MAW is already there, plus castle motorcycles, a Suzuki dealer and that radar racing suspension place.... if you can get a cut on their business and get them to buy parts off you, you'll be laughing all the way to the bank..

Billy Bob
16-07-2008, 06:57 PM
What about the Sutherland Shire? There's only two dirt bike shops ones at Kirrawee and the other at Menai. heaps of riders but no parts close by. Bringing something new into the area. and can service the south as well as the north. and closer to me! LOL

Weaselman
16-07-2008, 07:12 PM
actually
thats not such a bad idea

Buggzz
16-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Preferably a Vic location, but I guess that might have to wait.

have you considered doing a shop at cowes over the GP weekend?

only ever seem to see road rocket at the expo and I might be wrong but those guys don't seem to be able/want to see outside of the square.

Jockney Rebel
16-07-2008, 07:39 PM
that sutherland shire sounds like a sound idea ..dunno enough to be makin an opinion on it tho

Weaselman
16-07-2008, 07:43 PM
your ok jim... its full of 'special' people

Jockney Rebel
16-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Im special ......it says so on my release form

rod185651
16-07-2008, 08:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

Im special ......it says so on my release form

Those Barmaids at the Maroubra thought you were really "Special";)

Weaselman
16-07-2008, 08:53 PM
man id take them on

pappas
16-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah!! Shire sounds good!

qickdraw
22-07-2008, 10:48 AM
As I've said before on here I'm actually from Sutho (Engadine) and do like it down in Gods Country, but there are various reasons why it's not suitable for us at the moment - not least of which we're commited to a house in the Castle Hill area. Driving to and from a shop in the Sutherland area would be a bit of a stretch.....

But mainly I think Castle Hill would give us access to more customers than Sutherland. The location is within easy reach of the eastern, western and northern suburbs as well as easily accessable from the central coast area.

As for competing with MAW that's a no-brainer - there's no competition there at all. I'll be showrooming my parts and a select amount of other hard-to-find high end performance gear - not the $2 dirt bike shite that they flog off. I don't intend to be competing with a new bike dealer, either. Don't forget that the whole point of AuSFR was to be a place to get the parts that would otherwise not be freely available in Australia. Outside of that the only type of bikes we would have for sale would be the occasional customised sportsbikes/streetfighter - and even then not for a while (until we're well & truly established).;)

Having said all that - I'm not adverse to anyone approaching me for a franchise :D

rod185651
22-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I used to love riding down Castle Hill, oh fuck,.. sorry,..that was Castler Hill in Townsville NTH QLD :D:D

Bear
22-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Are you an exvillian, Rod?

Jockney Rebel
22-07-2008, 10:00 PM
ex..? he lives in maroubra

rod185651
22-07-2008, 10:10 PM
LOL sure am

Jockney Rebel
22-07-2008, 10:18 PM
and gibve them barmaids me no...ill have the first one at 12.00and send the next one in at 1.00pm illbe in the pub by 4.00pm

rod185651
22-07-2008, 10:32 PM
They'll eat you alive Jim ;)

Bear
23-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Wish I'd known last ride - I'm exvillian also. Looks like we'd have lotsa stories to share.

rod185651
23-07-2008, 06:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

Wish I'd known last ride - I'm exvillian also. Looks like we'd have lotsa stories to share.

Cool mate, heaps of rides in the future to swap stories. I think we will probaly see alot of each other after Steve picks up that R1 also;)

jock
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I didnt bother reading all of the previous posts, so it may alreadly be mentioned

but apparently MCAS parramatta are moving to new premises just outside parramatta somewhere

I reckon a shop near this may work as your not clashing with thier product and you'll would get flow on traffic

having ridden both north and south of Sydney extensively I'd say south is just a busy if not more than the north so putting a place at dural etc may limit us southerners to an odd visit or 2 a year

be good to see some of this fighter stuff in the flesh

Brodie
09-09-2008, 04:20 PM

As I've said before on here I'm actually from Sutho (Engadine) and do like it down in Gods Country, but there are various reasons why it's not suitable for us at the moment - not least of which we're commited to a house in the Castle Hill area. Driving to and from a shop in the Sutherland area would be a bit of a stretch.....

But mainly I think Castle Hill would give us access to more customers than Sutherland. The location is within easy reach of the eastern, western and northern suburbs as well as easily accessable from the central coast area.

As for competing with MAW that's a no-brainer - there's no competition there at all. I'll be showrooming my parts and a select amount of other hard-to-find high end performance gear - not the $2 dirt bike shite that they flog off. I don't intend to be competing with a new bike dealer, either. Don't forget that the whole point of AuSFR was to be a place to get the parts that would otherwise not be freely available in Australia. Outside of that the only type of bikes we would have for sale would be the occasional customised sportsbikes/streetfighter - and even then not for a while (until we're well & truly established).;)

Having said all that - I'm not adverse to anyone approaching me for a franchise :D

Sounds like a good plan man..........:D

I dont think the Old Road is a good place for business..... as others have said look at throttle stop...... althought their hearts wernt in it...... but i also have worked at Road Warriors and I gotta tell you...... Motrocyclicsts are a fickle bunch.....and there are just too many factors going against you there, a big one being that police presence on the road can clear in in the space of an hour. lol.

I reckon Castle Hill Sounds an awesome spot...and you have a niche market so aslong as you market it right...... your customers are just waiting for you to be there and sell them shit!! (Well top class parts....LOL)

[:o)]

Davekwaka98
09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Mate fucking good idea I reckon it would put pressure on the place if ya put on a main riding route tho some blokes are well you know!

morrigan
09-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Doesn't really matter where you set yourself up, the diehards WILL come. If you're looking for new custom, you need to be visible and easily accessible to the passer-by. Also depends on what sort of budget you're allowing for publicity. I'm assuming that the webiste will remain, and that's where you get your customers already. Once people know you have a premises where they can look and touch, they'll flock there.
In Castle Hill, there are a couple of places that draw riders there in the first place. You only have to get their attention, and word will spread.

Lucas
10-09-2008, 09:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

Thats the idea isn't it?

Docktor
10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Friggin hell, Is everyone here from townsville ?. Growed up there myself too even also as well.Cranbrook actually ....... How come no one has taken Stu up on a VIC franchise ?

Fight_fan
10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Coz he haznt got the 1st shop in NSW set up yet...

Shadowzone
10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
The ride down Castle Hill has been ruined by the addition of Speed Bumps. Taken the fun out of the easiest accesible windy road in town. Apart from Mount stuart and that's just, well, oh you know you get up topside and the Mossies do nothing but cane ya.

So now it's off to the tablelands for fun for us...

As for the shop location? What about around Richmond? close to The Bells Line, the lads from Cessnock, Maitland and Newy can rock on in via the Putty and Windsor and everyone else can take the M7 and wander in via Richmond Road?

Dunno mate just a thought?

rod185651
10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

Friggin hell, Is everyone here from townsville ?. Growed up there myself too even also as well.Cranbrook actually ....... How come no one has taken Stu up on a VIC franchise ?

Cranbrook eh? I grew up in Heatley.. We used to skateboard down MT Louisa many years ago. :D

Jockney Rebel
10-09-2008, 07:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lucas

quote:Originally posted by rod185651

Thats the idea isn't it?
one lives in hope ...

kawakid
10-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Throttle Stop died - as someone prev said: its on teh way to a ride and I could never be arsed stopping and on the way back too tired to stop and on wrong side of road. Guys who ran it tried to hard and was way over priced and came across as tossers so avoided the place even more.

Parra would be the spot I rekon cos thats where most go if they want to browse bike shops in general

qickdraw
09-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Just finalised the details and so it's official - we're moving to QLD! Looks like we'll be setting up around Lawrence Dr Nerang sometime after Xmas....... thank fuck I'm getting out of Sydney!

ozkat
09-10-2008, 11:45 AM
http://www.psychobike.com/forums/images/smilies/applause.gif That great news Stu. Im sure you and your Mrs will love being Nerangatangs. Friday avro beers at the Lawrence Dr Tavern sound like the way to go. http://www.psychobike.com/forums/images/smilies/2thumbs.gif

BANDITROD
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Just finalised the details and so it's official - we're moving to QLD! Looks like we'll be setting up around Lawrence Dr Nerang sometime after Xmas....... thank fuck I'm getting out of Sydney!
you lucky bastard ;):D

fimpBIKES
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
congrats stu!

im sure the money u save on the lease will pay for all those beers shayne'll be scabbin' off ya [:P]

zx12argh
09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Good on ya Stu! Now I can save on shipping too ;)

ozkat
09-10-2008, 12:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

congrats stu!

im sure the money u save on the lease will pay for all those beers shayne'll be scabbin' off ya [:P]
Scabbin is such a harsh word :D

hooligan
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM

You can get fucked if ya think I'm riding to Queensland to visit the new shop.:D

So when's the <s>piss off ya bastard</s> going away party?

Weaselman
09-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Stu your a bastard!

Large
09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm going to miss the lovely Angel

pt
09-10-2008, 08:07 PM

too bloody right mate, good choice!

Jockney Rebel
10-10-2008, 07:04 PM
i too will miss ...you stuart ...:([never was good with a gun ]lol

flyingfatman
10-10-2008, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

too bloody right mate, good choice!

fuck oath
im fucking out off sydney as well