PDA

View Full Version : Launches

StuNVA
27-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a stock (K&N and PC111, and hopefully a decent pipe very soon) GSXR1000K5 that I'll be using at the 1/8th mile drags in a few weeks, I've been ginning around a little but find the clutch all or nothing compared to the Buell, what is the best way to launch this beast, I'm finding it hard to clutch a little then go it seems to have nothing then everything in about 5-8mm of lever. Any tips from the gurus would be appreciated.

papa smurf
27-06-2008, 07:53 PM
No good asking me, i ride a wheely bar bike.
Wide open throttle, dump the clutch & hang on.[:p]
I do NOT recomend you do that.;)
Maybe Des or Tony could offer some insight on here otherwise try the guys on dragbike.com.au

Tony Nitrous
27-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Don't ask me !

I trickle off the line like your old Grandmother.
Can't get the feel of Busa or B-King clutch's like I
could on the old stuff. Not sure if its the BTL's or just
the crap rider.
Best I can pull is a few 1.75 / 1.78 60ft times.

Bri/Brian on this forum (sometimes) might be more help.
He pulls quicker times on his GSXR1000 than I did on the Busa.
His 10.1 or 10.2 to my 10.3

Have you looked at........

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4066

This is Bri's 1000........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvH21_QH3gY

28-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm no pro (by any stretch of the imagination) but I have got the GSX1400 to pull a 1.54sec 60 ft time with consistent 1.6's. I find that if I rev it too much (above 4000) and try to launch it just throws the front wheel in the air. For me I only just rev it to about 2500 and roll the throttle on once the clutch is almost fully engaged. Also get yourself some straps for the front. This helped me drop my 60ft by about 0.3....then practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more!

puppet
28-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I had the same problem on a K6 and had it fixed under warranty. There is some spring that needs to be changed. Not all K5/K6 suffer from it, but when they do and you have it resolved,it is much easier to live with.

StuNVA
29-06-2008, 05:47 PM
puppet, did it make a funny noise when you tried to ride the clutch a bit, like a belt slipping kind of noise, if you have ever heard a belt drive grain auger belt slip just before the engine stalls you'll know what noise I mean.

StuNVA
02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
thanks for the advice the other night puppet, I have looked into it a bit further and it is replacing a washer with one out of a K6750 as you thought.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108198&page=5
Will get it done asap and report back on the outcome, thanks guys.

UP ON 1
02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bullfrog

I find that if I rev it too much (above 4000) and try to launch it just throws the front wheel in the air. For me I only just rev it to about 2500 and roll the throttle on once the clutch is almost fully engaged.

Yeah I'm the same, rev it to about 2500 and roll the throttle on once the clutch is fully engaged.

Oh and yeah that's me in the youtube video that Tony posted above.

StuNVA
04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Talked my local bike shop mechanic into calling Suzuki about the fix, they acknowledged the "problem" that some users experience but did not agree that it is a warantee issue, not that I expected them to on a K5 anyway. We have orderd the wave washer and spring for a K6 750 and will get it fitted hopefully next week, shouldnt cost more than $80 fitted. More reports once its in.

abusa
04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I would be more inclined to think the BTL is holding you back from hard smooth launches. Anyhting over 4000RPM the BTL will engage and disengage making it hard modulate the clutch, you may feel a sort of shudder through the lever or through the gearbox. In the Busa world either the BTL is welded or replaced with a billet one piece unit.

08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by abusa

I would be more inclined to think the BTL is holding you back from hard smooth launches. Anyhting over 4000RPM the BTL will engage and disengage making it hard modulate the clutch, you may feel a sort of shudder through the lever or through the gearbox. In the Busa world either the BTL is welded or replaced with a billet one piece unit.

Sorry for my ignorance but what's a BTL?

Booster
08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Back torque limiter , simple type of slipper clutch ,
Its a tapered ramp in the back of the clutch hub and puts pressure on the plates as you load it but keeps a soft clutch for decell, sometimes as your trying to launch and slipping the clutch this ramps up and down making the clutch bite and release, shuddering.
early busa's were bad, later ones had a curved washer inside the last friction plate that preloaded things a bit and reduced this shudder.the whole btl is removable and a billet 1 piece part is put back in place for a more permanant fix, not recommended for turbo bikes as the ramp helps add pressure to the clutch .

08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
That's why I hadn't heard of it. Good old low tech GSX1400. There's only clutch plates between go and whoa for me:)

BWIAN
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Please excuse my ignorance chappo's but can you not just fuck off the slipper part of the clutch and use the clutch as per a "normal" clutch?

StuNVA
08-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I havent felt a shudder through the lever (on this bike), just the noise and the slip, grab all or nothing clutch, the revs would of been around 3-4k when doing so or not even that high. Came out of a steep gutter into traffic like a retard on L's one day due to it doing it, must have been the incline and having to feather the clutch to get out of the gutter. Me young fella was with me on his bike, not long on his P's, pissing himself laughing at me, great for the ego.

StuNVA
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by puppet

I had the same problem on a K6 and had it fixed under warranty. There is some spring that needs to be changed. Not all K5/K6 suffer from it, but when they do and you have it resolved,it is much easier to live with.

Had the new wave washer put in on Tuesday, went out for a squirt and few practise starts this arvo and could not believe the difference it made, I can feather the clutch with no hint of a grab or the associated noise, it will make a big difference getting of the line, at least I'll be able to launch in a decent rev range now.