PDA

View Full Version : Kev Katana to join ASF Race Team.

TurboKat
19-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Whilst at Broadford today, Big Kev expressed his desire/ambition to go Road Racing, now we all know he's a pretty good operator on the road but can he cut it on the Racetrack [?] Watch this space Race Fans, you WILL find out soon ;)
His weapon of choice will be a well worn Slabbie that is currently languishing unloved at the back of his shed, it's destined to receive the old tricked up USD frontend off Speeddemon's Bandit, an R1/R6 rear shock, a 5.5" rear wheel & whatever else he, myself, Deano & Shano can find in our sheds. [8D]
Oldskool will be called upon to perform engine freshening & carb tuning although he doesn't actually know it yet [:0]
The ASF Race Team is growing stronger every day [}:)] World domination is a serious possibility if we keep adding to the ranks at this rate.
Deano even crashed his Gixer so he had an excuse to pull the fairings off, effectively creating the first Victorian STREETFIGHTER Racer :D
We're looking at you & your RF9 next Iceman. [:p]
Other potential recruits include Shano, Booster, Parker, JoJo & whoever else I can corrupt who has a Trackbike.
MMUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

BANDITROD
19-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Thats good to hear TK btw hows the bike coming along mate hope you get it all sorted before your comeback tour at the island and i reckon Kev would be great on the track as would alot of others but its not for me YET after talking with deano at Kevs BBQ i reckon a few track days would help me get my confidence back after all of my stacks my self confidence is a bit skewed anyways thats enough out of me

Deano
19-05-2008, 10:07 PM
sounds great welcome aboard kev.

looking forward for the first Team ASF 1,2,3 finish in Pre Modern over 500cc.:D

and we cant let gibbo sit on the side lines. he has a machine ready to race and he has had alot of track time at the island.

come on Gibbo no excuses now;) why don't you join us at Phillip island in a few weeks.

latheboy
20-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Lets just say that maybe if somebody could possible have a little bit of interest in maybe possible thinking about doing something like racing in maybe something like say the Pre Modern over 500cc, where would they get info on which bikes and the rules about the class if maybe they where almost interested...
Im on the lookout for a track bike so i might as well get something that <s>WILL KICK YOUR FUCKING ARSE'S</s>ill be able to race with you guys

Deano
20-05-2008, 07:10 AM
basically anything that is over 500cc and is 10 years or older. if you get something like a 89 slingy you would be in period 6. the same race as us but a different class.

i believe the weapon of choice would be a srad gsxr750, light great handler and plenty of grunt. if you want to be in the exact same class then get something between 90 and 98. booster happens to have 2 srad track bikes for sale.

Booster
20-05-2008, 08:39 AM
What engine mods are allowed Deano ? one of them has a 790 bore kit and the other a lightened crank !!!

TurboKat
20-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Pre Modern is for bikes that are 10 years old or more, If you wanted to have a theoretical/psychological edge you'd want a '98 R1 because on paper it was the fastest/lightest bike around in '98.
In practice however, it's ALL about the rider, especially at club level so if you can pedal half reasonably you'd do well on just about anything from around that era. For example, 1 of the Pre Mod races on Sundy was won by a bloke on a ZXR 400 - OK so he's an A grader but you get the picture.
Period 6 is another class worth looking at, it's for bikes made between 1980 & 1990 (no USD forks), obviously you'd want something closer to '90 than '80 but I reckon it'd be the cheapest class to get into at the moment. You could easily buy & setup a bike that would be competitive for less than $3000 race ready.
There were only about half a dozen bikes in P6 last round too so you'd always get a top 10 result ;) Best bikes for that class would be Slabby/Slingy Gixers, H model ZXRs, FZR Yams, GPZ 900s, etc.
In the Interclub series we race in Formula 2 which consists of P4, P5, P6 & Pre Mod. (all classes have up to & over 500cc too) so we're all in together on the grid like one big happy family [:o)]
Looking into my crystal balls, I can see Kev (slab), Shano (ZXR), Jo (sling) & Ivan (some sort of Gix I reckon?) fighting it out for ASF honours in P6 & Myself (ZX9) Deano (Gix 11) Gibbo (SRAD) Booster (SRAD - don't sell 1 of them Greg, R1s are GHEY!) Iceman (RF 9) - & whoever else wants to have the most fun you could ever have on a motorcycle - in Pre Mod. [^]
Trackdays are fucking tops but racing is even better, this is grass roots Motorcycle Racing so everyone is relaxed & just enjoying themselves, the scrutineers, officials, etc are really laid back & easy going (very rare in any motorsport) & there is a cameraderie among bike racers that I've never experienced with car racing - one of my competition has even lent me his spare frame so I can race at the next round !!
It's cheap as chips too, you don't even hafta get a race licence, you join a club @ $20 for 12 months, you pay for a 1 event licence on the day ($45) entry fee ($130), $20 worth of fuel & you're in action - cheaper than a trackday & you can cross enter in Novice, Club races & Team Shield events if you want maximum tracktime for your $$.
See youz at the Island on June 8. [8D]

TurboKat
20-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Engine mods are free Greg (apart from Turbos, Superchargers & Nitrous of course ;)) so stick the 790 kit on the bottom end with the light crank & you'll be flying!
7/9s & 7/11s are all OK too.
Unless your bike looks a bit dodgy, scrutineering generally consists of them pulling your brake lever, walking around the bike & sticking a sticker on it, I spose they assume you wouldn't wanna race something that's gunna fall apart at turn 1.

gibbo
20-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

oldskool
20-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I should have kept that GT550/600 and wooped all your little fannys[B)]

Gsxar
22-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Glad to see I made your list Turbs;) I wanna come play tooooooooo:D
Think Kato should be on the list[;)
Think I only need alternator ( from Kev:D) and a set of 750 pipes, can of Matt black & a day off and I'm there:D:DSlooooooooooowwww But there [:p]

KATO ZX7
23-05-2008, 12:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

Other potential recruits include Shano, Booster, Parker, JoJo & whoever else I can corrupt who has a Trackbike.
MMUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

And Kato !!! of course :D