PDA

View Full Version : Help with changing tail unit on a GSXR1100

morrigan
05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Now that I've got all the plastic off, I'm looking for something sweet for the tail. I want to have a comfortable ride though.
Any suggestions? Offers? Places to look? And will the year model make much difference, bearing in mind it's a '95 model.

Gix11
06-05-2008, 04:13 PM
So you have a water cooled GSXR 1100 with all the plastics off but want a completely new tail end yea? Nothing will be a straight up bolt on job, so with that in mind, just work out what tail end you like the look of and we'll point you in the direction of how to source it and what to do to make it fit.

Jarrod did an R1 tail on his - came up great:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5908&whichpage=3

morrigan
06-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks Si. That R1 tail does look good. Guess I have to have a good look around, again bearing in mind that comfort's important to me... (bony arse needs lots of padding under it!)

jakam04
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by morrigan

Thanks Si. That R1 tail does look good. Guess I have to have a good look around, again bearing in mind that comfort's important to me... (bony arse needs lots of padding under it!)

If you do end up putting an R1 arse end like I did, I can remove the plate I attached to bolt on tail secion and give you a copy of the template...

Jarrod

oldskool
06-05-2008, 10:32 PM
OLDSKOOL go an RGV 250 tail look the ducks on a gixxa.......[:p]

morrigan
06-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I was looking at Des's GSX 1400. Not too high and room for a well padded seat

morrigan
06-05-2008, 10:53 PM
And yeah, I have been perving on Des's arse!

Funkenfresh
06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
ive got a cbr 954 undertail with shotgun tail lights and integrated indi's.. mabbe it could be adapted

morrigan
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Funkenfresh

ive got a cbr 954 undertail with shotgun tail lights and integrated indi's.. mabbe it could be adapted

Do you have a pic of that as is? The look appeals to me, but I have no idea how to go about making the necessary adaptations. This is my first project, and I'm going to need lots of help [:I]

suxukifreak
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM

And yeah, I have been perving on Des's arse!

[:0] :D

Gix11
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM

quote:Originally posted by Funkenfresh

Do you have a pic of that as is? The look appeals to me, but I have no idea how to go about making the necessary adaptations. This is my first project, and I'm going to need lots of help [:I]

You want a complete new tail or just the undertray?? If you want a completely new tail section, ideally you want the subframe as well. This will save you heaps of work.

Funkenfresh
07-05-2008, 11:29 PM
this is the undertail i got... in black

http://www.xdcycle.com/store/catalog/2002-2003-CBR954RR-LED-Undertail-Rated-2-by-XDC-p-1154.html

morrigan
08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
quote:You want a complete new tail or just the undertray?? If you want a completely new tail section, ideally you want the subframe as well. This will save you heaps of work.

Should've been more specific. I want a whole new tail. And I guess the subframe would be the best. I'm assuming that it'd be easier to fit a whole new subframe and tail than to try to modify the subframe I have. How much trouble will I have fitting another subframe? I'd have to look at the distance between the bolts to the frame.

Gix11
08-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Nah. You first need to choose the tail you want then go and see if that model tail is a bolt on subframe model or a welded subframe. Either can be used but the bolt on will probably be tidier. Then all you have to do is totally remove yours and work out what brackets you will need to make to attach to your frame to accept the new subframe.

hooligan
08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
It's easier than it sounds, morrigan. I changed my seat and subframe (88 gsxr to a 98 R1) about 9 years ago. Couldn't do it myself, so i found someone who could weld. In hindsight, i shoulda got them to weld on some tabs so i could bolt on a different seat whenever i wanted. Ah well, maybe on the next build.
Like everyone else has said (typed?), choose your seat first. go to a bike shop, a wreckers, or browse bike mags. My local wrecker ( jay at SMW) lets me wander about upstairs to check out ducktails. And if you're worried about comfort, pick the bodywork first, and then mod the seat to suit.

morrigan
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by hooligan

It's easier than it sounds, morrigan. I changed my seat and subframe (88 gsxr to a 98 R1) about 9 years ago. Couldn't do it myself, so i found someone who could weld. In hindsight, i shoulda got them to weld on some tabs so i could bolt on a different seat whenever i wanted. Ah well, maybe on the next build.
Like everyone else has said (typed?), choose your seat first. go to a bike shop, a wreckers, or browse bike mags. My local wrecker ( jay at SMW) lets me wander about upstairs to check out ducktails. And if you're worried about comfort, pick the bodywork first, and then mod the seat to suit.

Okay. My local wrecker's (Metro) getting used to me hanging around. I'll just make some more nuisance of myself and start looking at tails. I'd still like to know what Des used for his 1400. Thanks guys. You make it sound so easy.

hooligan
09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Metro's do have all the cool stuff, but they know it and charge accordingly. And i think Des used a GSX 1400 seat on his GSX 1400. Which some cunt has now pinched.

09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Metro is just another word for Cunts.

Seifer
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I hate Metro, bloody ripoff merchants. Sydney Motorcycle workshop/wreckers is the place to go.

hooligan
09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

I hate Metro, bloody ripoff merchants. Sydney Motorcycle workshop/wreckers is the place to go.

Yep. And i agree with you too, Davo.

09-05-2008, 03:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by hooligan

quote:Originally posted by Seifer

Yep. And i agree with you too, Davo.

*Raises hand*
Yup I'm starting to form that opinion now too of Metro......

morrigan
09-05-2008, 04:59 PM
No reason why I can't look at what Metro have, then phone someone else for it, eh? It's conveniently close to home for at least getting an idea of what I'm after. Thanks for the warning.

Large
09-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I've been going to Metros for about 20 years now and the speccy twat with the googles always looks at me funny like he's going to break out into a banjo duel (although I haven't seen him the last few times)

They used to be great for little parts "just check whats in those boxes and throw us 10/20" etc.

Their prices are definitely up there, but not on everything...and you can haggle. When they say a price, just say "it's a bit much" and they should ask you what you expected to pay...etc etc.

If it's obviously a ripoff, go to egay.

morrigan
09-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I always seem to get Ma Kettle at first, until I ask for specific parts, then she just goes: "see the guys" and off she goes.
Their focus is definitely not customer service!

10-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Try to see Mick when ya go in there, seems to be the only one that has a decent clue

morrigan
10-05-2008, 10:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

Try to see Mick when ya go in there, seems to be the only one that has a decent clue

Yeah I think that's the guy who helped me last time. He's the only one who seems interested in engaging with a potential customer

morrigan
12-05-2008, 06:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Nah. You first need to choose the tail you want then go and see if that model tail is a bolt on subframe model or a welded subframe. Either can be used but the bolt on will probably be tidier. Then all you have to do is totally remove yours and work out what brackets you will need to make to attach to your frame to accept the new subframe.

Found what I needed to know.. the cbr954's a bolt on subframe, so that makes it easier. Now all I have to do is find one.
Talking to a guy who does blue slips though, and he told me to get the blue slip now, before I do any mods. So it looks like I'll be putting back what I've taken off before I get to play. Damn sight cheaper to get the blue slip while it's all still standard.

greg mulligan
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
you should try a tailpiece of a 01-02 zx9 ur zx6 they got a big seat and dont need much of a mod to fit they look good on a gixer most of seat fits around the gap between tank and frame cbr954 tailpeice are very short and might make your bike look too big and long you could also could also look at a tailpiece of a 93-95 gsxr 750 they look a bit like an rgv and bolt straigh on they have a good seat and lower the ride height as for blue slip i think they only last for 26days so you want to be quick and not waste your rego

HueyonaBlade
12-05-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/100584468380984.jpg

:D

morrigan
12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
This is so why I'm here... you guys prevent me from making mistakes, or just making the job that much harder for myself! It will be a long time in the making I think. I'm still waiting to find out when I get to move from Sydney to the country, but I work for the govt, and nothing ever happens quickly... unless there's a ministerial!
But I want to make the most of being in Sydney as far as finding parts is concerned - they're certainly going to be easier to find than in Dubbo

jakam04
13-05-2008, 12:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by HueyonaBlade

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/100584468380984.jpg

:D

Huey,

Can you do some measuring to let me know what the distance from front most bolt section to the rear tip of the tail and I will compare it to the R1 tail on mine. Will then be able to guage if it will work for your morrison.

Jarrod

HueyonaBlade
13-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Sorry Jarrod I just sourced the pick of the CBR 954 of Google Images just so it was a little easier for Morrigan to understand so I dont have a live version at my dispossal but Im sure there are a couple here that could help