PDA

View Full Version : OSF Rear Sets

kiwi60
28-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I was trawling around on evilbay the other day looking for some rearsets for the SV and I came across One Second Faster:

http://www.onesecondfaster.com/servlet/StoreFront

There rearsets look alright so I've taken the plunge and ordered a set which hopefully will be here sometime this week.

Even with US$96 freight for 2 day FedEx delivery, the pricing is still good.

I'll post some photo's when they get here as well as an evaluation of quality and function.

Cheers

Docktor
28-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Damn, they toasted u on the freight bloke.

kiwi60
29-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Too true doc, but they still get here at a good price:D

Dark Reign
29-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Very nice. Hmmm cogs are now turning.;)

Just had a quick look at some other stuff on their site, $400 for an APE manual cam chain tensioner (GSXR 1100) - geeez must be some expensive interstate freight companys in the states cause i got mine from APE for $80 posted.

kiwi60
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/103480959980419.jpg

The OSF rearsets arrived on Monday, so I carefully unpacked them in the appropriate place (yes, the one we refer to as 'her' was out).

Their well engineered and I was pleased to see needle rollers in the brake and gear levers instead of nylon.

The one place I think the finishing could have been better was in the tapping of the mounting plates as there is a very small raised area around each hole, but having said that, you don't notice it on the bike.

Assembly and fitting was straight forward without the need to download the instructions.

I give them a 9 out of 10 for the finish and a 10 out of 10 for value, delivery and looks.

kiwi60
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/103480959990245.jpg

One area I have had to modify is the brake hose which is too short due to the master cylinder being mounted slightly forward and I have to install an inline brake switch (original brake switch hanging down). Not a major hassle as this was the only non braided hose left on the bike.

kiwi60
07-05-2008, 12:05 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/103480959995542.jpg

No problem setting up the gear lever with a race pattern shift to match my race bike.

Gix11
07-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Nice review Kiwi. Appreciate it mate.

oldskool
07-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow those Shitface Sepo ripoff bastards charge how much for an APE cam chain tentioner [:0] OMFG

Deano
08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
what do the needle bearings run onto? ally or a hardened inner ring?

kiwi60
11-05-2008, 12:39 AM
quote: what do the needle bearings run onto? ally or a hardened inner ring?

In the case if the set I've got, they run on the hard anodized machine part of the footpeg, not sure what the set up is of the silver one (whether there anodized silver or not).

Deano
11-05-2008, 02:29 AM
the bearings will eventually chew up the alloy surface that they are running onto. intresting to see how long they last

BANDITROD
11-05-2008, 06:39 AM
i am with deano on this one mate you need a good hard surface to run needle bearings on so it will be interesting to see how they hold up keep us posted

kiwi60
11-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Probably, but I think it will be a long time coming as the amount of movement involved and small loading should give a reasonable service life, and when it happens, you could always spend 5 minutes machining the peg in a lathe and slip on a stainless sleeve for the bearing to run on or even bush them with phospher bronze bushings (but that would mean taking them apart and cleaning them occasionally and if I'm honest about it - I probably wouldn't), I vaugely remember that there are sleeves commercially available for worn shafts but I'm buggered if I can remember the name of them.
Any way, part of testing a new product is to find out the life expectency of them so if / when they crap out, I'll let you know.[8D]

Deano
12-05-2008, 07:33 AM
your probably thinking of a speedie sleeve. used to repair worm shafts where seal lips have grooved the surface. not suitable for running bearings on. they are only .007" thick and are made from stainless. you need a hardned inner ring. available in many sizes from you local bearing supplier.

i think they would be better off with a nylon bush in them rather than a bearing. if you go to the extra expense of putting a bearing in that application wouldn't you want to do in properly and give it a propper surface to run on.

intrested to see how it goes