PDA

View Full Version : WA. More speed cameras x 350%

BillyWhizz888
23-04-2008, 05:38 PM
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=8876

New plans to treble speed cameras

23rd April 2008, 6:15 WST

The State Government is considering plans to treble the number of speed cameras on WA roads, sparking warnings that the flood of extra speeding tickets will put severe pressure on police who have to process infringement notices and are already months behind.

Leaked police documents show plans to increase the number of speed cameras by 350 per cent.

In a report by PA Consulting Group, the Government has been warned that a big increase in the number of cameras and subsequent fines would push the police infringement processing department to breaking point.

The police-commissioned report, which was leaked to the State Opposition and passed to The West Australian, said there was a six-month delay between a driving offence and issuing an infringement.

But police say the delay has been reduced to 7.6 weeks.

“WA Police is facing a challenge in delivering on its road safety objectives as a result of constraints being experienced in its speeding and red light camera and traffic infringement operations,” the report said.

“Further, additional cameras are planned (an increase of 350 per cent) to achieve targeted reduction in speed and red light violations, and hence road-related deaths, placing further strain on the current operation.”

The report suggested a move to digital processing and automated back-office processes and that “involving the private sector in part or all of the service provision” could provide the required level of service at a lower cost.

Opposition Leader Troy Buswell urged the Government to spell out its intentions with speed cameras.

“The Government needs to come clean over a) the outsourcing of speed cameras and b) will that outsourcing require an increase in the number of speed cameras to make that outsourcing commercially attractive?” he said.

“If that is the case, it will confirm what a lot of people have suspected for a long time and that is that speed cameras are about revenue as much, if not more, than they are about safety.”

Last September, The West Australian reported that WA Police were investigating handing over speed camera operations to a private company, with police saying there had been problems with infringement management and that it was not “the core business of the police”.

This month it also emerged that the Office of Road Safety was considering a 2006 Government-commissioned report that recommended an increase in speed camera infringements from about 440,000 to more than two million a year from new speed cameras.

Police Minister John Kobelke said the final evaluation was part of information being considered by the Office of Road Safety’s Enhanced Speed Enforcement Steering Committee.

A draft report is due mid-year.

BEATRICE THOMAS

Watto
23-04-2008, 07:09 PM
why can they work on catching the burglars, violent offenders etc and leave us to enjoy our not so twisty roads in peace

Azrael
23-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Um because they are and always wil be missguided revenue chasing cunts

alfiestorm
24-04-2008, 03:00 AM
This should get interesting

Benz
24-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Not the "core business of the police".It maybe the core "business" of local and federal governments though.. 2 million photos at a minimum of 110 bux [in the NT ], big numbers in anyone's book..
Anyway, what has "business" got to do with it? They are all public servants,[protect and serve.......] it seems they have forgotten that, and these pricks rule our lives, and wallets.
I bet they aren't spending all those millions on fixing road hazards.
"Further, additional cameras are planned (an increase of 350 per cent) to achieve targeted reduction in speed and red light violations, and hence road-related deaths."
That's the most misused "road-safety" misquote on the planet. It should read
'Further, additional cameras are planned[an increase of 350 per cent ] to achieve targeted increases in speed and red light income, and hence road related revenue.'
Just fucken greedy.
We all know it's about the money............

Funkenfresh
24-04-2008, 02:02 PM
and we can do fuk all about it..

BillyWhizz888
24-04-2008, 02:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Funkenfresh

and we can do fuk all about it..

Yes we can and you are the leading light in this effort mate :D

If your not ridin your not payin hey ;)

Eukanuba
28-04-2008, 01:03 PM
there's plenty you can do, just smash every one you see - to assist the police in bringing down their processing times..

less cameras = less work..

means the police can go about catching real criminals.. but that's just my opinion :)

Azrael
28-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Hand me my brick..

xb9r
28-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Thats the spirit Azrael brick that fucker too

Hagarr
28-04-2008, 10:52 PM
It would appear you are better off taking a cheap pot shot from the "chicken shit " safety of a car over a $100 drug deal than riding a bike at speed and SHOCK HORROR perhaps killing yourself. Damn it's all wrong Sheesh "I didn't think the gun would go off and I wasn't trying to kill him" he must have been a better shot than me cos I've TRIED to shoot things and can't hit the side of a barn at fourty paces. FUCK do the crime do the fucken time ya pussy :(

Azrael
29-04-2008, 12:55 AM
So you can carry a loaded firearm to someones house, aim it at them with intent, shoot and kill them, and still claim it wa an accident? fucken cool, gotta find my list!

alfiestorm
29-04-2008, 03:51 AM
How can you shoot someone with a brick?