PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to buy a roadworthy...

damianouch
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys,
I am in Melbz and need to get a roadworthy for a 99 gsxr600. I took it to sharp tune in Dandenong and it was knocked back for discs, steering head bearings, chain and sprockets and a fair flat spot from 0 to 4k revs. I have solved all of the problems except the flatspot and have run clean out of cash, I could not afford to have the carbies balanced if I tried. The other thing about the bike is that when you come to stop in 1st at the lights say, the bike hangs at 3k revs before dropping to idle a few seconds later. I get around the flat spot by just keeping the gas up to it and slip the clutch a lil bit so it doesnt hesitate on me when tking off and I overcome the hanging revs by just letting the clutch out a bit then tking it back in when I have stoped in 1st gear, this brings it to idle quick smart.

So bottom line, the engine tuning issues are not a safety concern if you half know how to ride a bike and I reckon I can 3/4 ride. So if you know someone out there who can pass this bike for a roady, I would love to hear from you. Everything about the bike has been gone over, all consumables are fresh, its just this tuning problem, which I WILL get looked at when I arrive upon a few more coins.

Also, if anyone knows about these two tuning problems for the gsxr or has read about it before, I really would love some advice on what is up with the bike or link me up with some info out there on the www. Thanks a lot.

KATO ZX7
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Hello damianouch. I may be able to help you. I got a roady for my zx7 about a month ago from Frankston. I'l be honest there was a fair bit of dodgy things on it but the lovely lads there past it anyway. As soon as my other half gets in i'l get him to send you an e-mail. No promises but i rekon this may work.

Cruisecontrol
01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Just rip the carbs out, give em a good clean up and make yourself a carb balancer yourself for about $5.

2m of clear hose a ruler and some food colouring does the job.
Here is my effort from a while back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/carbsynch.jpg

It won't be super accurate but it will certainly improve your situation.

damianouch
01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks Kato, I found a bloke today that will pass it for the fee of 66 and he is a bit closer to home than Frankston...

Hey there Cruise, I'd like to say I was confident enough to try that out, but as far as working on bikes is concerned, I can pretty much do most things except carbie work and stuff inside the motor. I found a bloke today who test rode it and reckons my carbs are full of shit and just need a good clean out and balance and can do that on monday for 136 which seems fair to me. One of these days I'd really like to get someone over to show me how carbie work is done!!

KATO ZX7
01-02-2008, 07:21 PM
No probs. Good luck.

TurboKat
01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Hang around & look over his shoulder while he does the work :D
Mechanics LOVE that ;)
But don't ask endless questions or say shit like "Are you sure that's on proply?", you might end up looking like this --> [B)]

rod185651
01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah have to agree with Turbokat I always volunteer to assist the mechanic with all menial tasks when he works on my bike that way cost are down and you know he's doing a decent job, but I always keep my mouth shut, unless invited to chat.
cheers Rod

damianouch
02-02-2008, 11:37 AM
That is some good advice, cheers!.

All it is going in for is to have the carbies cleaned up then refitted and balanced, and I'll be able to tell if anything has actually been done by the absence of a big crazy flat spot from 0-4k when i get it back.

I bought this bike off a mate, i know, I asked for it, but seriously, this guy is a bit of a wally and has not done a single piece of maintenance in the 2 yrs he's had it. I rode it the day he got it, smooth and clean. I have just finished cleaning 2 yrs worth of fling off from the drive line and 2 yrs worth of brake dust and fling from the wheels. The wheels have been slightly yellowed from the deposits on them that have been allowed to sit and fester. Some people should not be allowed to own bikes... Lucky I have this thing now, gonna bring her back up to shape!

rod185651
02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey Damian,
just spent most of the day at Extreme Creations getting the rear end of my bike sorted. To be honest Ben Is a genius and he was happy for me to watch and kid myself that I was asisting some times. I honestly believe if the mechanic / Engineer or who ever is working on your bike is afraid of an audience,, what are they afraid of you seeing? But don't pretend you know their trade, when he asks for a spanner give it to him, It is a priviledge to be invited in to their work space and should never be taken for granted.
cheers Rod

Cruisecontrol
03-02-2008, 08:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

I honestly believe if the mechanic / Engineer or who ever is working on your bike is afraid of an audience,, what are they afraid of you seeing?

I liken it to someone reading your newspaper over your shoulder. It doesn't affect you directly but it is still really annoying.

I used to get it occasionally when doing work on peoples houses. I definitely had nothing to hide with the work I was doing but regardless of how "helpful" they are trying to be they simply slow you down and cause unnecessary distractions.

rod185651
03-02-2008, 09:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

I liken it to someone reading your newspaper over your shoulder. It doesn't affect you directly but it is still really annoying.

I used to get it occasionally when doing work on peoples houses. I definitely had nothing to hide with the work I was doing but regardless of how "helpful" they are trying to be they simply slow you down and cause unnecessary distractions.

Yeah very good point , I guess it is up to the individual, and what they are comfortable with, another point is the rules under strict work cover laws I guess?
cheers Rod