PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank to suit Gpz

Benz
15-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Does anybody have a fuel tank that will fit a GPz 750 turbo:(
A GPz 900 tank fits, with a few mods.MUST be rust free.
Checking over the bike this morning, there was a new pimple on the lower section of the tank, and stupidly, I touched it, and fuel started flowing through my paint job!!
I've hads a lot of trouble keeping the internals free of rust, and the last cleanout must have done too much work on the inner [rusty] surface, and there's no metal left!!
I've got a spare tank, and, yep you guessed it, has the same hole in almost the same place... so much for that idea....[V]

cutcat
15-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Benz, how's it going? Would you believe I threw a GPZ tank in the tip years ago! It only had a tiny dent but I was moving house and the shed needed a clean-out.:(

Have you considered putting a liner coating on the inside. Internal coatings were all the rage years ago for Yammies in particular. I think Yamaha used the same steel that Alfa Romeo used in their cars, it was cheap Russian iron with a high carbon content or something and rusted while you watched it!

Benz
16-06-2007, 01:41 PM
yeah mate, looks like I'll have to use the liner to keep the old beast on the road. I have the standard US tanksealer here, used the metal ready tin from the kit, but never used the tank sealer itself, after stories of great slabs of the stuff falling off the interior, and clogging the tank/fuel lines, exactly what I'm trying to avoid!!
Guess I'll have to do it now, trouble is you have to leave the tank to dry for a week, and I'll have boost withdrawls by then.....

cutcat
16-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I do know of a standard GPZ750 (about '83)tank down here in VIC. The bloke will probably want $100. But the freight to Darwin will be a killer I recon. And I have no idea what its like inside. Let me know if you want me to chase it up.

Benz
16-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah thanx Tony, I'd like to be sure it was clean inside, but 100 bucks is probabaly worth it for a good tank. The '83 N/A model will fit, provided it's a fuel injected tank, the one with fuel gauge and tank pod.
I think Big K could have spent a few more bucks on researching their tank metal choice.....I found two tanks I could use at the local wreckers,[one GPz900] but they were in as bad, or worse condition than mine.
I'm used to being slugged for freight mate, just got to deal with it..

cutcat
17-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I'll check it out this week. I'll have a good look at it for you and let you know what its like inside.

Benz
17-06-2007, 04:07 PM
:)

cutcat
18-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi Benz, checked out that tank today for you. But I left it behind. It was perfect on the outside but had some tiny rust bubbles under the paint low down. So I guess its no better than yours.

I restored a rare Kawasaki F9 and had some rust holes repaired in the tank with an Oxy welder just reparing the holes with spots of weld. This meant only small areas to rub back and repaint, about the size of 50cent pieces. While it was empty I treated the inside with rust neutralizer and then penetrene. Seemed to work well.
Hope this helps.

Watto
18-06-2007, 08:09 PM
other option is to empty the tank, wash it out with water, place tank opening over car exhaust until dry (CO2 kills the fuel fumes - dont ask how we know:D) then solder the holes up (use a small blotorch or similar and a stick of solder and flatten the solder out as you push it into the holes) - I had to do this on my gpz (got a leak at the bottom of the rails being lowest point on the tank) which sounds like similar prob to yours

As catcut mentions you don't need a big area sanded back to do it

Benz
19-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks anyway cutcat, seems all GPz tanks are prone to rusting..... pity...
they are over 20 years old though !
I'm gonna have to coat the inside, it's been cleaned out too many times already.
I used Phosphoric acid to remove the rust last time ,flushed it out with heaps of water then wd40'd the shit out of it, seemed to have worked,[nice grey metal] but it looks like the metal is now too thin in a coupla places...
I guess a new paint job is not out of the question, if I have to repair from the outside.
Cheers watto, yeah mate, it's pinholed near the lowest point, but I no longer have any of the custom paint left to patch with, it dried up in the can years ago......

chopaweeza
19-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I have several in the shed if you get stuck

Benz
19-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks Chop, might end up calling you ....any non rusted ones??

chopaweeza
19-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeh. I don't keep ones that are rusted out. I either repair them & bin them. But, as I have several I just binned the rusted ones.