PDA

View Full Version : Dyna coils

Benz
03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Have any of you guys got a set of 2.2ohm dyna coils laying around? A set of leads that fit them would be great too. Alternatively, does anybody know who sells them in OZ,or can recommend a shop?
My first ride on the reborn GPz turbo was far more push than ride![V]

Rocket
03-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I had some car leads made up with 9mm leads and car caps to work with mine. Just had to screw the tit onto the spark plug and away I went.

qickdraw
03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I got some brand newies off eGay a few months ago for fuck-all... I'll have a look to see if I can find the guys details.

megareg
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
When I was at Joe Marshalls "shed" on Anzac day, deciding what to do with my build, he showed me some car coils he is using, they threw a HUGE spark, well over an inch, they are better than crummadoor coils, you have to use the electronic ignitor for them and I will need 2, not expensive, but I think they would be better than Dyna.

I'll find out what car they belong to when I see him next, hopefully next Tuesday.

Cheers

Benz
03-05-2007, 11:35 PM
The stock coils have given me grief before this failure, so they're gone!
I want some product that just does the job, without fucking around [I've done enough of that already!], a set of 2.2 dynas will give a decent spark, enough for what I'm likely to throw at it, anyway.
You're right Rocket , leads are easy enough, and I've got all the needed spares from other projects.
Megareg, how do you get timing from that setup? the igniter IS the timing on a stock bike, but isnt built in to a car one.....and if it is , it's highly unlikely to be the right curve.
I tried that setup on my katana based dragbike, but never gave it enough current to prove itself.
Used the original bob weight setup in the gsx motor to get advance. With the alternator removed the battery was not good enough to supply spark at high revs.
I reckon it might be great as a streetbike project, all the same... but maybe adapting the coil over plug ignition from later models would be better...

04-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I've tried out most of the trick-of-the-week ignitions and enhancers over the years.

With our nitro bikes we use Nology Boosters. They're a peaking capacitor that gathers the charge and then dumps the spark in a nano-second. Setting the timing with the plugs earthed on the fuellers, there is a definite difference in the audible crack. Forget all the wank, if you can hear the crack and see a big blue spark, you're on the right track.

Nology make coils and leads that also work. Have tried them on the dyno and seen definite and measurable improvements.

**** UPDATE ****
Just found their Australian website: www.nologyaustralia.com.au

Check the spark-tester on the opening page. That's the difference between a standard plug lead and the Nology lead. I've swapped leads, coils and generally fucked around with the unit. It doesn't matter what coil you wire-in, the Nology lead chucks out the big spark.

I reckon you'll find that Joe was referring to Bosch igniters and the correct, matching, coils. Word of warning: With the Bosch igniters, you MUST run large heatsinks. They get pretty bloody hot. I'm gonna check out the Nology igniters. Have had interesting results from MSD HEI modules and reckon the Nology modules will be just as good.

Oh yeah, stay away from home-brand or Top Gun plug leads, they are shit.