PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Gears/Transmission

Seifer
17-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey guys Im running a GSXR 1100 90 model. Im splitting the crank tommorrow to inspect why ive got suchh a noisy 3rd gear. Im assuming i'll be needing a new 3rd driven/drive (which one?) gear, maybe a bearing and/or a fork or two. First of all does anyone have any of these parts spare/left over? If not whats my best (ie cheapest) option: get the gears machined/hardened, purchase new from suzuki or search the wreckers?

Deano
17-04-2007, 10:32 PM
get em new mate.

does it jump out of gear or just whine?

you will have to replace both the drive and drive gears as if one gear face is damaged then the other one will be to.

yuou could be opening a big can of worms if the gearbox has done a bit of work.

usually you wont need to replace the forks unless it is jumping out of gear or they are below the service limit.

expect to pay silly money for gears. bout $120 for 3rd drive and $90 for 3rd driven

this may help. prices are in US dollar add 35% and you will get close to aud

http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

good luck

Seifer
17-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Can you give me an idea of what i'll be looking for when i open the transmission up. The gearbox is one thing I know nothing about. Ive got my haynes but will a worn gear stick out like dogs nuts?

Hagarr
17-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Normally they only jump out of gear if the dogs are worn. This generally happens to second gear. If you have a whine the front face of the gear is usually pitted. You can inspect the gear faces and this will tell you if you have a problem. Pitted gears are normally found in top gear where somebody has been driving in top gear with high load pressure on the gear face the 1127 seems to suffer more than the early ones. If the whine is still there when you pull the clutch in this can also be worn bearings causing losading onto the gear face. This will eventually cause pitting in the front face of the gear if left for an extended period. Shift forks I've found either break when the gear jumps in and out. I've never had too many problems with shift forks. gixxer gearboxes are pretty good out of the box.

Seifer
17-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Yeah its not jumping, just very whiny, I didint give it much of a ride before I stripped the engine down, only had the bike for 4 days after I bought it so im pretty much going off sight here.

Deano
18-04-2007, 06:57 AM
i have got a gearbox in a box in the shed that is fucked in nearly every way. i will get some photos for you.

Seifer
18-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Alrighty, the 3rd drive gear is worn out like nothing else but the third driven is very minor if at all (very lightly scuffing) Should I still replace them both to be safe?

TurboKat
18-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Yep, always replace drive & driven as a set - no exceptions.
Otherwise you'll have the same problems in 10 or 20K kms time.
Replacing one without the other is a classic example of false economy.

Seifer
18-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Deano, are the bearings fucked too? Im gonna buy new gears but if uve got a decent bearing handy then let me know. $65 is pretty ridiculous.

Deano
18-04-2007, 09:25 PM
problem is mate it is for a 750 so shafts are different but not sure about bearings (alpha-sports will tell you). your bearings may be fine. do they feel rough or did they make noise at all?

$65 what bearing is this for. i no a guy that may be able to help you out with bearings. top bloke to boot. but don't hold your breath last time i looked you could only buy the correct bearing from mr suzuki (but that was for w/cooled 1100 not oil cooled).

Deano
18-04-2007, 09:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

problem is mate it is for a 750 so shafts are different but not sure about bearings (alpha-sports will tell you). your bearings may be fine. do they feel rough or did they make noise at all?

$65 what bearing is this for. i no a guy that may be able to help you out with bearings. top bloke to boot. but don't hold your breath last time i looked you could only buy the correct bearing from mr suzuki (but that was for w/cooled 1100 not oil cooled).

if you get me the deminsions id x od x w i will have a look

Seifer
18-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Ok mate, yeah the bearing is a bit rough but not so much noisy. According to MR suzuki, the size is 25x62x17.

Deano
18-04-2007, 10:20 PM
i think that is a 6305. does it have a groove around the outside that the locator sits in?

moog
19-04-2007, 08:14 AM
You could do what i did with my EF gearbox.....

I saw my mates Blackbird gearbox, and that uses double row ball bearings, and multi-ball race bearings, so with a bit of jiggery pockery, i bought std SKF brgs, and machined the grooves and pin holes in them and hey presto i have a BULLET-PROOF gearbox..
( ideal for anyone who does drag racing )

Deano
19-04-2007, 12:45 PM
double row bearings are wider than single row. you will then hav no room to put the seals and the bearings will be slightly sticking out the side of the cases.

good theory but i cant see it working in this case

moog
23-04-2007, 08:00 AM
It can be done, i did it, like i said , "with a bit of jiggery pockery" !!