PDA

View Full Version : GP bikes...will they???

catchmeifyoucan
01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
question for everyone...

Will they ever put the new GP bikes in production for anyone to buy?? cos id love one... or will they keep them all to them selves...
obviously they would have to tone them down just a little, but will they ever put an 800cc bike into production???

01-04-2007, 09:37 PM
The factories did sell a couple of 'road versions' of their bikes back in the 80's ie RG500, significantly tamed down of course. But the market for 2 strokes back then was shrinking rapidly. With the new 4 strokes they may revisit selling them. Cost is an issue though, the GP bikes are designed for small scale production, using expensive componentry, so the production versions would probably be more expensive than current GSXR's/R1's etc with smaller runs. Plus I seriously doubt that 99% of riders would find them a better bike, probably worse out on the road.
Some people did manage to get their hands on ex-race bikes from privateer teams though. There were a number of OW01's going around at one stage in the late 80's.
Anything particular about them you're interested in? or is it just the latest pretyy toy aspect? To be honest you're going to get more fun out of a road designed bike than a track specific machine, unless it's track day machine only.

catchmeifyoucan
01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
would love one for the track..but the main reason i ask is because, im not a big fan of the thous, ive ridden a few and dont like the way they rev, or the way they handle compared to the smaller engine of my 600 and smaller lighter frame etc, also the geometry, shorter wheel base different centre of gravity, etc, i like how much torque they pull, but something in between might be a shit load of fun... im not a big strong bloke who can throw a thou round like a can my 600, but i wouldnt mind just a little more power.. AND before anyone says whack a turbo on it, its not happening...

catchmeifyoucan
01-04-2007, 09:46 PM
however, some pistons, cams and computr might be the go...

01-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Go for something along the lines of a 7/11. A ZX9 motor into a 636 frame, GSXR750 motor into a GSXR600. Might give you what you want along with a huge cost reduction, and not having to wait a few years for the factories to make a decision.
Have you ever ridden an RG500 or it's Yamaha equivalent? That might be the way to go.

catchmeifyoucan
01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
dont like 2 strokes, not my kinda thing, i like the gsxr750's they're fun to ride, but im a honda man born and bread... it will be a few years before i get a diferent bike anyway, so waiting isn't much of a deal.. as for cost, im looking for a job as an apprentice motorcycle mechanic, cos its something iv wanted to do for a while, that would keep costs down a fair bit.. ive already done the baker apprenticeship that was just balls (fuckt up hours) but if i can get a job in motorcycle mechanics while im still young that would be awsome... im only 22 so ive got years ahead of me, the only problem is the low pay rate, as i have loans, credit cards and bills to pay for.... hopefully centre link will help out...

catchmeifyoucan
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
ps, anyone in melbourne looking for an apprentice motorbike mechanic???

WATEVR
01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
ii think that if you really wanted something like that a gsxr 750 with some go fast bits would fit the bill. although the concept of 800s does actually make sense in this day and age of over policing the need for topend of a 1000 is wasted.......most of the time!!!

catchmeifyoucan
01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
thats sort of the way i see it, but the thous will be around 4ever, they sell to well to ever take them of the market, but maybe an 800 would take over the 750gsxr and maybe give buyers i little more option when choosing what cc bike they going to ride..

ej03
02-04-2007, 06:16 AM
In an old issue of Performace Streetbike there was a fireblade motor
stufed into an CBR600 looked pretty standared to, good sleeper, home grown mabey look into that.[8D]

Stocky
02-04-2007, 08:54 AM
A Friend of mine has been building a bike for the "Performance Bikes" magazine in the UK..

It's a K3 GSXR750

He's bored it to a 794cc

Custom Cams to fire it 1&4 and then 2&3

Yoshi 4-1 Exhuast and a few other tricks to make it run.

Makes 164 HP at the back tyre and it SOUNDS LIKE A MOTO GP BIKE !

Even a sound file sent over the internet makes you want to go do it yourself.

It costs about 10HP (it made over 170 as a conventional firing 4)

But the sound and personality ...... YUM

Don't know that it'd do the bottom end/crank etc any good in the long run but that's life.

chopiesel
02-04-2007, 09:09 AM
a few months ago amcn ran an artical about a bike honda had submitted patents for. it was very motogp looking in style with one side pipe and one underseat pipe, thats ll i know.

gibbo
02-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Ducati made a road going version of thier gp bike didn't they? Sold for about $100,000?
As for an apprenticeship try 1300 Kawasaki. They have a shop in Ferntree gully 1300 529 272 and are opening a new shop in Ringwood, went past today and there is a sign out front advertising for staff.

catchmeifyoucan
02-04-2007, 05:56 PM
mirawaki or how ever you say make those exhausts, on out the side and one under the seat, about $2,500 i thnk...
cheers gibbo might give em a buzz tomorrow...

fimpBIKES
02-04-2007, 06:44 PM
i bought AMCN last night
new fireblade is supposed to be v4 or v5 ;)

ozkat
02-04-2007, 07:38 PM
All this H#nd* talk is making me feel sick

Zed14
02-04-2007, 08:42 PM
you are sick you said the h word.

ozkat
02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Sorry mate, fixed now [V]