PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Wheelies

red
06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I've just picked up a 2nd hand Firestorm and have started pulling wheelies on it. What I do is gas it, the front comes up, my arsehole puckers and I button off, and the front comes down again.

And the bike drops outa gear. Thats whats confusing me. I didn't think I was such a useless bastard that I was hitting the gear lever with my foot. I'm sure it's just dropping out of gear when I hit the deck again (note: gearbox is unloaded). Anybody find this happen to them, or am I just crap?

06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
How many wheelies has that thing pulled before you got it.

red
06-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Potentially 11,000km's worth of them... Doesn't make any noises or play up any other time though. I'm just thinking the shock of hitting the road again, with the gearbox unloaded, is knocking it outa gear.

06-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Same gear every time?

red
06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah, first.

puppet
06-03-2007, 08:46 PM
undercut the gears

06-03-2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/5208565028056.jpg

Cruisecontrol
06-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Bingo!

shift1313
06-03-2007, 10:32 PM
try it in 2nd and see what happens. or you can blip the throttle a bit on the way back down to soften the landing. You never want to slam the front end down if you can help it. YOur fork seals wont be long for this world if you do.

vtr420
07-03-2007, 04:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by davo

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/5208565028056.jpg

hahaa and u will snap frames and starve the engin of oil on those long wheelies

easy fix is dont put it down :D

crazymofo
07-03-2007, 04:40 PM
i agree with davo's sentiments...

SUZUKI.... just about every stunt vid you see is jammed packed full of gixxers.. for one reason, they take abuse, crash well and just keep going :P

but as shift said... crack the throttle again on the way back down....much smoother landings, also put it in second ya skirt, its a 1000cc v twin, it'll come up in 2nd without hassels, hell even my sv650 does when ya dip the cluch some.

cheers.joe.

vtr420
07-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Oww gess lol

The Gixxers Suck for stunting there race bikes good for racing light frames that arnt made to take hits and the positioning of the oil pick up makes long hiway wheelies not good because of oil starvation ( unless u buy a modified pick up )

The most popular Stunt Bike By far is a Honda F4i because of there unbrakeablillity and smooth throtle responce ( not a crazy hit of Hp at the top end ) I have heard Firestorms are not that good dude to oil starvation as well but im not 100% on that one. In my opion ( and CP's ) V-twins twins and singles are easyier to stunt because of there smoother evener power delivery across the rev range and a larger amount of touque.

Gixxers make a very twitchy stunt bike (beacuse there so damn fast and powerfull) and one that will cost more to set up ( Modified oil pick up , reinforcing the sub frame and frame)

o and just for all of u that i know whould like to point out that i cant spell I KNOW thanks

Gix11
08-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey Carl. Don't think everyone here is on your back mate. I have no problem with you at all mate and I'm sure a load of others don't either. It's all good. I'll believe you on the stunting bikes as I don't know shit about its it's not my thing. You live and breathe it so why wouldn't I believe you??

vtr420
08-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks man i like this fourm u guys are full of very very helpfull and there is lots of very good info on here. It could be to much grass / paranioa. But thanks man and dont worrie all the hating in the world couldnt get me off here [}:)]

08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by vtr420

and dont worrie all the hating in the world couldnt get me off here [}:)]

bugger

:D

08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Thats a lota typing for sum1 that has no idea[:o)]sorry dude[B)]u eva been ta a race meet[?]do ya know who Mat Mingy is[?]dont mean ta sound like a dick but[:o)]subuki is the engine[:o)]
quote:Originally posted by vtr420

Oww gess lol

The Gixxers Suck for stunting there race bikes good for racing light frames that arnt made to take hits and the positioning of the oil pick up makes long hiway wheelies not good because of oil starvation ( unless u buy a modified pick up )

The most popular Stunt Bike By far is a Honda F4i because of there unbrakeablillity and smooth throtle responce ( not a crazy hit of Hp at the top end ) I have heard Firestorms are not that good dude to oil starvation as well but im not 100% on that one. In my opion ( and CP's ) V-twins twins and singles are easyier to stunt because of there smoother evener power delivery across the rev range and a larger amount of touque.

Gixxers make a very twitchy stunt bike (beacuse there so damn fast and powerfull) and one that will cost more to set up ( Modified oil pick up , reinforcing the sub frame and frame)

o and just for all of u that i know whould like to point out that i cant spell I KNOW thanks

Yella
08-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Storms make great stunt/fun bikes until you start 12's then then they surge and stall, and long/hard stoppies can make them stall aswell but once you get the hang of it you can flick the starter just before you touch down again

2nd gear 6grand and flick the clutch and your off, once you get the hang of the bike it will come up with a flick of the clutch anywhere for 20k upto about 110k ,over that and it struggles , I went 1 down and it made a hugh difference to both everyday riding and clowning around the I went +2 on the rear and it would lift in 3rd with the clutch when done right. I did plenty of longer wheelies and never had a problem with oil starving , but I did run about 400ml extra oil in it the bike has done 60000k+ without problem

I also set the suspension for my wieght replaced the fork oil with 10w and 20mm extra that helped stop the forks bottoming out even when slammed down and never had a leaking fork seal.

The frames and strong, the whole bike is put together really strong even after a low side at EC it hardly got any damage and road home
I havent heard of a problem with jumping out of gear on a storm before but the fella's on www.ozfirestorm.com should be able to point you in the right direction
I miss my storm

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL656/2704834/5407535/69261465.jpg

vtr420
09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by mad mundy

Thats a lota typing for sum1 that has no idea[:o)]sorry dude[B)]u eva been ta a race meet[?]do ya know who Mat Mingy is[?]dont mean ta sound like a dick but[:o)]subuki is the engine[:o)]

LMAo i have riden serveral times with team CAPA and am highly involved with the stunt scene in australia. Why whould i go to a race meet i ride stunt bikes not drag knee this is the stunt section what does race meets have to do with anything. Gixxers can be stunted matts gixxer has a oil mod and he has strenghened the frame and subframe. i have sat on mingays bike.

The information i gave u was all from sourses such as Darius, Nick Apex, Manny, E-dub Stuntlife.com, ftpstunts.com, ozstuntbikes.com, and stuntride.com

sorry dude i just stunt bikes hence it is what i know.

I have also had my picture in the stunt section of rapid magizine

09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
All credit to you VTR420,i actually have full respect for what you do(even tho i love takin the piss).
But,Red was asking questions about a Stock Firestorm road geared unless i'm mistaken again.Totally different to w/standin a stunter in 5th gear at 60K's.

I was mearly stating that the mighty Zuki comes standard with undercut rack,never had a problem with oil feed as i compromise levels to overcome the Vortex efect in the pick-up

vtr420
10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
nah im not trying to get in a argument here and thanks for the appreciation all i was saying was gixxers need some work to be a good stuntbike so in reality there not the best stuntbike...

i ride a 250 hence if u look at my first remark i had no answer to the problem he had.

BTW i am a bit drunk sorry lol[:o)]

damo1
12-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah im on your side VTR you dont go to the track to drag knee as you put it because
you probly dont know or cant do it.

Keep pulling wheelies mate you can obviously do that with that massive rear sprocket to make it easy
at slow speed.

but im also on Davos side Red wants advice on how to wheelie a real bike at real road speed with real size
sprockets and standard gearing on a big bike with more wieght and horses.

so who really has more balls when it comes to wheelies?

I recon the guys doing them on big bikes at big speed with real gearing im guessing anybody can wheelie
a bike with a massive sprocket sort of takes away the skill from what ive heard.

dont tell me but you run really low tyer pressure to so your balance piont is heaps bigger to.

Cant help with the prob either Red but i have a couple of times when doing wheelies accidently pulled the
bike into nuetral because ive been wieghting the gear lever by misstake your not accidently knocking it in are you
and thats why your getting a slam landing?and its not popping out

vtr420
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
dude dude dude

ok i gave my responce to reds problem witch was dont pit it down if that was happening because i had no advice to give. I only got involved in this thread when Suzuki was mentioned as the best stunt bike which is not true. If u resarch this at all the most tryed and tested stuntbike is a honda F4i.

Now Bigger Sprokets on bikes make it harder to stunt not easier and it is requmended by everyone to learn stock as i did beacuse gear makes your bike "twitchier" which means u need more throtle control to keep u from looping it. Also Gearing is used because when doing slow wheelies the bike tends to stall out at low speeds big gearing sloves this.
In fact i am planing to go up a couple of teeth coz i keep almost going over the front when i slow them down to 4 km/h

Also letting pressure out of your tyers does not and i repeat does not make balance point lower. Bike tyes are made for corners not going in a straght line and not on one wheel. letting pressure out of your tyres makes the contact point of the rubber larger which increases stability.
thats all it defently doesnt make balance point lower...

go ask mat mingay he will tell u the same thing dude...
and when was this a question of balls i never said it was more manly to do slow wheelies. Fast wheelies are more stable and more of a rush, clitching it to bp from a standstill and catching it with the brake on idle is in no way a rush more like hard work but it is way more involved becuase at that speed the bike wants to fall over ...

To any one who is rocking wheelies out there no matter what the speed good on you i take nothing away from that just get your facts right before u want to say anything :D

damo1
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
As i said "makes the balance point heaps bigger" not lower

It actually flatterns the tyre out which makes your contact patch between
the road and your tyre a lot larger which in turn gives you a larger piont of balance
so easier to keep it at balance piont because it is so much larger.

Im not going to argue so im leaving it at that.

vtr420
12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by damo1

you run really low tyer pressure to so your balance piont is heaps bigger to.

quote: originally posted by vtr420
Also letting pressure out of your tyers does not and i repeat does not make balance point lower. Bike tyes are made for corners not going in a straght line and not on one wheel. letting pressure out of your tyres makes the contact point of the rubber larger which increases stability.
thats all it defently doesnt make balance point lower...

thats what i said

crazymofo
12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
good one red... now look what youve done.. ya bloody upset the natives again. j/k

cheers.joe.

BOHEMION
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
vtr do u still speak to drew much ?

catchmeifyoucan
12-03-2007, 06:58 PM
is it that time of the month again??

vtr420
12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by BOHEMION

vtr do u still speak to drew much ?

I havent heard form him since he was last heard from on here ???

Last time i spoke to him he was turning his bike back into a streetbike, think he met a girl??

BOHEMION
12-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I think it was more work commitments, I may pop around after work one day this week to and see what he is up too.

vtr420
13-03-2007, 03:16 PM
ahh ok wasnt sure

tell him i said hi

and to get back on that 250 and rip it up [}:)]