PDA

View Full Version : quater mile times on stock bikes...

catchmeifyoucan
11-02-2007, 02:01 PM
ok, i've had many arguments with people about how fast certain stock bikes do down the quater, there a few pages on the net that apparently are correct, but some of the times on the sites dont match up.. i also have a thick magazine thats got all the stats on 05-06 bikes and there all completely different to the internet... i would be more inclined to believe the magazine over the internet, what do you guys think?? the main reason im asking is i just want to know what my bike (05 CBR600RR)does down the quater, stock...

11-02-2007, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't trust the magazines that quickly either Catch (pardon the pun). You know what they say, "those who can, ride, those who can't become M'cycle journos" (apart from MDM of course ;) )

Environmental factors such as height from sea level, temperature, humidity, side/tail/head wind. Plus age, condition, tune of the particular bike, the skill of the rider also make a difference, and can explain some of the variances.

cutcat
11-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Good topic Catch. But from my experience, the published data from the manufacturers is pretty optomistic. I'd rely on motorbike journo's before them. Best of all are the times you and me run at the local drags but now days there are few completely standard bikes running. Also all the drag meets around where I live are 1/8th mile.

ozkat
11-02-2007, 07:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by catchmeifyoucan

the main reason im asking is i just want to know what my bike (05 CBR600RR)does down the quater, stock...
Take it to your local drag strip and find out for yourself. I reckon between 11.2 and 11.7 with an experianced drag racer. 12sec+ if just the average rider.

WATEVR
11-02-2007, 08:25 PM
rider would have to be the biggest factor in any of these things so stuff what they say and get out there and find out for yourself!!

crazymofo
11-02-2007, 08:30 PM
i reckon it'd certainly be quicker then 12's methinks oz.

my sv is doing 12.1! and im as good as a chimp on the dragstrip.

fast ede on an 04 gixxer sixxer (stock..even the can) ran 11.15 on his 1st day at the strip, so thats not a bad indication of what could be done.

cheers.joe.

cutcat
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by WATEVR

rider would have to be the biggest factor in any of these things so stuff what they say and get out there and find out for yourself!!

Hey WATEVR, i have a '98, what does yours run??[?]

catchmeifyoucan
12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
i've been down to the strip, quite a while ago now, with a yoshi slip on, the fastest pass was 10.6, which i thought was fuckin fast, honda reckons that a stock 600RR runs about 11.2, so when i ran 10.6 at 129mph, i was stoked, but my reaction time was crap, .71 was the fastest.. since then i got a full yoshi system, air filter, timing advanced slightly, ran it on the dyno and got 135 at the wheel, now i know every dyno is different so that might be far from what it really is... haven't been back to calder since, but hope to get there next time and run close to 10 flat...

speeddemon
12-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I did see a post somewhere with a 9.8, but i doubt you will break 10 sec - most run 10 -12 secs

ozkat
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
You ran 10.6 on a standard CBR600? Reaction time doesnt affect your et. Most riders are lucky to get a 10.6 out of a stock Busa let alone a CBR600.

abusa
12-02-2007, 10:37 PM
In the States they were running a modified 600SS class with the majority of the field in the high 9's. Similar mods to our Supersports, trick heads, exhaust and all the rest, lowered with no wheelie bars.

http://www.amaprostar.com/noframe_records.asp

Sportrider have listed a few of their passes over time, a few stock 600's have made it in to the 10's, no data on the bike or rider. Highly likely they used the lightest most experienced guy they could find so not really representative of the masses.

An averaged sized guy who is out there for a bit of fun will probably find it hard to peddle a 600 in to the 10's but should be right for a 11.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street_bike_performance_times/

Shayne

Jockney Rebel
12-02-2007, 11:12 PM
just as an aside if my bike[reportadly produces 95bhp athe crank] what should it be producing at the back wheel assuming the drive train is all up and good, im assuming mr honda measured his bhp at the crank to give better results on paper

12-02-2007, 11:16 PM
you lose around 12-13 hp through the drive train.

MDM
13-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the earlier comment Chalk, you obviously don't know me very well yet!:D
As far as 'other' magazines 1/4 mile times go, then they're usually slower than a reasonable rider on their own bike will manage, but of course, someone who actually owns the bike will have had time to dial themselves in to the bike, and to set it up for dragging rather than road work (ie lowered, maybe stretched, weight added / removed).
Consequently, it's very diificult to gauge on printed times as they vary so much. ;)
There, that comment was about as useful as a chocolate teapot... :D

banditR1
13-02-2007, 01:00 PM
back in 2004 got 10.45 on my stock YZF 01-- no aftermarket can or anything total stocky!!! had the guys crying when their :D04 R1 did not go that fast:D

Tony Nitrous
13-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Ran several 10.3's on a stock"ish" busa, twin Yoshi cans
and TRE did nothing to the horsepower. Standard height,
tank of fuel, street tyre pressures. A bloody good rider
on a Bus might see a mid to high 9 but after that they
seem to get lowered and tweeked to run any quicker.

I've seen the Vid's and write-up's of the 600's in the USA,
they are very quick but the term streetbike is stretching
it a bit.

If you can run a 10.6 on a stock CBR6 you really need to
get yourself a Busa !

Jockney Rebel
13-02-2007, 05:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by MDM

Thanks for the earlier comment Chalk, you obviously don't know me very well yet!:D
As far as 'other' magazines 1/4 mile times go, then they're usually slower than a reasonable rider on their own bike will manage, but of course, someone who actually owns the bike will have had time to dial themselves in to the bike, and to set it up for dragging rather than road work (ie lowered, maybe stretched, weight added / removed).
Consequently, it's very diificult to gauge on printed times as they vary so much. ;)
There, that comment was about as useful as a chocolate teapot... :D
or a ashtray on a motorbike ....:D:D
:D

Jockney Rebel
13-02-2007, 05:05 PM
the only way my bike would do 10 sec quarters is if u strapped a rocket to it[8D]

13-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey I used to have an ashtray on my GK, came with little clip on the side to hold my joints while I negotiated traffic. :D

Gix11
13-02-2007, 05:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

the only way my bike would do 10 sec quarters is if u strapped a rocket to it[8D]

I don't think Rocket wants to be strapped to your bike though mate. There again, maybe Phill is in to that? Pretty sure he wouldn't make it do 10 second runs though by doing so.

13-02-2007, 05:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

I don't think Rocket wants to be strapped to your bike though mate. There again, maybe Phill is in to that? Pretty sure he wouldn't make it do 10 second runs though by doing so.

More like Rocket would have the runs after 10 seconds riding on the back of Frankie's bike

:D

catchmeifyoucan
13-02-2007, 06:35 PM

just as an aside if my bike[reportadly produces 95bhp athe crank] what should it be producing at the back wheel assuming the drive train is all up and good, im assuming mr honda measured his bhp at the crank to give better results on paper

if your talking about me being mr honda, NO it was not measured at the crank, it was at the wheel... i cant find all my 1/4 times but i've got one here that i ran it was 10.736 at 128.86mph, ill scan it and put it up, just to let you know im not bullshiting...

catchmeifyoucan
13-02-2007, 06:47 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/8833235536748.jpg

i cant find the 3 fastest times i ran, think there at a mates, or just plane lost..

abusa
13-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Some of the Brissy Drag Racers may have witnessed Bec run a 10.41@129.80 with a 1.701 60ft at the Sportsbike Shootouts last year. Only mods to her R6 were, sprocket, strap and links and of course she is lighter than the average male rider!

A bit of a write up here on what they did to get Bec into the 10's.
http://www.motoaus.com/race/drag-racing/ten-second-600.html

Shayne

catchmeifyoucan
13-02-2007, 09:18 PM
cool, good on her, amazing what a few little things will do to improve a time..

DaveK5
13-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Thats awesome,I reckon the lower torque of the 600's could really be an advantage given the circumstances...less wheel spin higher rpm and whot not...I wonder if bec has since altered the gearing on the 600 to some advantage.

abusa
13-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I think you are right Dave less wheelstanding torque and you have to ring its neck to make it move.

Unfortunately Bec has sinced moved on from the R6 to give us a scare on her new Busa. Same modes with just as awesome results. I might add she is a very experienced rider, raced all different levels of motor sport.

Sorry another article!
http://www.motoaus.com/race/drag-racing/nine-second-street-bike.html

Shayne

megareg
14-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Try this link, I thought it was fairly accurate with me, it calculated 12.4, the best run for me was 12.3 and most were 12.4

http://www.amaprostar.com/dynos.asp

Yeah, yeah, I know its in Fred Flintstone units, but they are a bit slow when it comes to getting in line with the rest of the world, metric sure makes things easy....