PDA

View Full Version : New brake parts

Rocket
04-02-2007, 03:32 AM
With the help of Billywhizz last Saturday, we fitted some radial brake and clutch master cylinders, remote reservoirs and a full set of wavey discs to the bike, all from Stu.
They look awesome and feel great.

Thanks for your help Billy, and for not laughing too much at my fuck ups.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55967739272168.JPG

Rocket
04-02-2007, 03:33 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55967739267811.jpg

Rocket
04-02-2007, 03:34 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55967739260463.jpg

Rocket
04-02-2007, 03:36 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55967739276209.jpg

crazymofo
04-02-2007, 07:38 AM
very very nice rocket. love the idea of the remote reserviors

cheers.joe.

dane_ra
04-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey, remotes look great, are there any issues with having them lower than the m/c? I wanted to put a new m/c with the reservoir incorporated into it on my blade to give it a lower look, but if I can do what you've done there without issues, I might look into that.

Instrument cluster looks really neat too. I've just had to do a bit of surgery on my clocks to make them fit in my new h/l unit, I'll post pics soon.

TurboKat
04-02-2007, 07:54 AM
That ABM kit looks the shit alright Rocket but you SERIOUSLY need to mount at least the brake fluid reservoir above the level of the master cylinder otherwise if you get a fluid leak/weep or air bubble you got no brakes.
I know it looks good as it is but man, that's dangerous.

WATEVR
04-02-2007, 09:29 PM
hey rocket the convo look great mate but i was wondering what the third dial is in your instruments tacho, speedo & ?
what about using the clear hose option that i have seen on rear brakes can you put them on front brakes?

Rocket
05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
WATEVR that's a turbo boost guage in the middle there.
I want to fit a different headlight fairing to give me some more room so i can get an air/fuel ratio guage in there as well. The Z1000 ones look pretty good I reckon.
I'll also be changing that guage out too for a higher quality one, the needle jumps around a fair bit when coming into boost so i'm not too happy with it.

TK, Billywhizz and I scratched our heads for a while on the position of the reservoir for the exact reasons you mentioned. But we figured that seeing as it's basically hydraulic fluid, if the master cylinder needs fluid, it will suck it in no matter where the cylinder is placed.
But now you've made me have second thoughts.

I'd like to remove them altogether actually and just use a short piece of clear hose straight off the M/C with a plug in the end, like I've seen on other bikes (is that what you mean WATEVR?). This is more of a temporary mounting until I get off my arse and get that done.

Deano
05-02-2007, 06:03 AM
rocket.

i think quickdraw has the same lower res than the m/c so will be keen to see if he has had any issues.

i have got short peices of hose on my rear brake and clutch m/c. you can't do this for the front brake tho. I turned up a couple of alloy stoppers for them that finish it off better after not being able to buy anything off the shelf.

sharky
05-02-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm guessin this is 'cos the pistons travel will increase with pad wear so more fluid is needed ...

Rocket
05-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Hmmm that makes sense. The front brake M/C has to move 8 pistons so will use a lot more fluid than the others as the pads wear down.

I had a look at the pics of Stu's bike as he has the same gear, but they look to be mounted onto the m/c clamp behind the bar and probably sit a little higher, but I couldn't find a decent picture.
Will send him mail.

HueyonaBlade
05-02-2007, 03:27 PM
What headlight fairing have you got on there at the moment Rocket

Rocket
05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Just cheap piece of dirtbike shit I got from a wreckers mate.
It's got those 12v downlights like you have in the kitchen and they're not very good for night riding.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/76862024476174.jpg

Rocket
05-02-2007, 04:31 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/76862024484582.jpg

WATEVR
05-02-2007, 08:44 PM
derrrr i suppose if i opened my eyes and looked at the big blue hoses i might of guessed the third gauge!! but how do u rate the speedo and tacho as a guy here in adelaide has em for around 220 and 200 respectively and i was thinking of using them too?

TurboKat
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I used the same speedo on last years AFR & it worked perfectly, no needle bounce or anything out of the ordinary & was pretty bloody accurate as well. I'd definately recommend it. I'll probly have it & the matching tacho hooked up for this years if I get off my fat lazy arse.
Only drawback is that it's cable driven so you get a big ugly speedo cable running up your forks. [V]

Rocket
05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
They're okay so far but they haven't seen much use. ADHDkev reckons one of his fell to bits though, so he's not a fan.
The speedo seems reasonably close to accurate but i've never checked it. Fuck know's about the tacho, it goes up and down when the engine does, so that's okay then.

They have pretty blue lights at night.

Stocky
06-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Everyone get on to Ben and get him to start making something like this.....

The fitting can clip stright into the mastercylinder in place of the little plastic hose fitting and screw into a billet bottle.

No bracket, small, functional, anodise it black and you'll hardly even notice it.

Sorry but this is the best pic I've got ..

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/97761532677491.jpg

TurboKat
06-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Yep, they're the shit alright Stocky, really nice & neat. I've been looking for some of them for a while now & the only ones I can find are from the UK & they want over $180 each (& I need 2) at that price, I'd rather make my own - stay tuned.

Deano
06-02-2007, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stocky

Everyone get on to Ben and get him to start making something like this.....

The fitting can clip stright into the mastercylinder in place of the little plastic hose fitting and screw into a billet bottle.

No bracket, small, functional, anodise it black and you'll hardly even notice it.

Sorry but this is the best pic I've got ..

do they have a rubber liner in them to allow for the expansion when the fluid gets warm. I have tried to use just a peice of tube on front brakes and it don't work because as the fluid gets warm it expands and if it don't have anywhere to go (eg bladder rubber bladder under the cap) then it just keeps building up pressure inside the whole brake system and that then meens the pistons dont return and they create more heat as the pads are rubbing on the discs.
it is a vicious circle that ends up with you parked on the side of the road waiting for you front brakes to cool down to free up the front wheel.

mind you , if you didn't use the front brakes to start with then you wouldn't have any probs;)

I think you will be fine with the res below the cylinder as long as you bleed the brakes with the res above the cylinder.
keep in mind as TK said if you get any air at all in the system it will go to the highest point. if your res is lower then the air will just go to the highest point of the tube.

Just had another thourght. on most bikes with clip ons any air that is created by brake fluid getting hot etc will rise to the top. most of the time the air would rise up the hose and stop at the knuckle/bango fitting on the m/c. this been the case then it is no different to what rocket is doing. it is a system that is 100% bleed with air.

will post a pic of what i mean

Deano
06-02-2007, 05:08 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/977615990237361.JPG

the banjo at the end of the m/c is the highest point. even with the bars at full lock the air would have to travel downhill before it got into the m/c so that it was able to be expelled out of tube and into the res.

has also been discussed in detail from page 2 on.

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1157395432

i am not saying that having lower res is the bomb, just pointing out that maybe is isn't as bad as you think. I would still prefer to have my res mounted the usual way but if you chose to mount it lower i would at least use clear hose so you can keep an eye out for any air trapped in the hose to the res.

good luck

my head hurts[xx(]

Rocket
07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for that Deano, that's pretty much how we saw it.
I Couldn't get any clear lines on a sunday so made do with black. I might try and get some clear lines and see how I go. That way I can keep an eye on it.

Stocky
08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
The ones I have are from a Tony Kart brake system. They have the little rubber boot in them and the tiny hole in the lid to let them breath.

I just made the alloy adaptors to make them fit. (front and back)

The little rubbers are avialable easy enough. Dirt bikes, mini Brembo res etc.

It's just the billet work we need to get someone interested in.

Slingblade
08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/321828092194609.JPG

Rocket i have the Rizoma resevior that Stu originally had on his bike. i have the same setup, with clear hose from the m/cylinder looped under the bars and connected to the resevior. The resevior is lower than the m/cylinder and it works fine.

As said before, just bleed the system with the res. above the m/cylinder, and only mount it once the system is full and working properly.

Deano
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stocky

The ones I have are from a Tony Kart brake system. They have the little rubber boot in them and the tiny hole in the lid to let them breath.

I just made the alloy adaptors to make them fit. (front and back)

The little rubbers are avialable easy enough. Dirt bikes, mini Brembo res etc.

It's just the billet work we need to get someone interested in.

if you no what is required i can model it on solidworks and get it quoted by the cnc dudes that do the clutch window inserts.