PDA

View Full Version : Stoppie advice

zx12argh
29-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey folks,

Well sorted out my suspension and did my first stoppies on the weekend. Getting about a foot of air between the road and the tyre at the mo.

Just looking for some advice, tips, etc... Want to eventually advance to rolling stoppies.

I'm building an engine cage for the beastie this weekend though would prefer not to have to use it.

Cheers.

catchmeifyoucan
29-01-2007, 09:39 PM
dont look at the ground, and for god sake dont close your eyes... my mate did that for some stupid reason and he ate shit.... was kinda funny, once we knew he was all good of course, shame we didn't have a camera...

29-01-2007, 10:12 PM
the step from stoppie to rolling stoppie is where tyhe testicles are required. Spend some time on your push bike first.Correct tyre pressure, front brakes and upper body strenghth are a major factor.I reckon you may just fit this discription???

zx12argh
30-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Yep, got the bike setup nice, good upper body strength and testicles. So I should be good to start practising. I may wait until this weekend once the engine cage is done as a bit of insurance...
Thanks fellas.

Oh and I'll keep my eyes open :)

shift1313
30-01-2007, 10:00 AM
speed. dont try it going anything less then 30mph. Trust me. slower= worse. When you go faster you can let the rear end down with a little speed and you have less chance of loosing your balance and tipping over. Plus speed will make your front suspension and brake feel more predictable. riding one all the way to a stop isnt a good idea, much less stopping the bike completely to do a stoppie, this way you have no forward momentum to recover with. When you get going pull in the clutch rock forward and give a little brake pressure to get the front to start to compress. Then you want to lay on the brakes nice and smooth, but fast. Once its starts raising you have to let off just a little. Make sure you grip the tank with your knees and keep your arms/upper body in a nice locked position. You need to have good leverage on your bars. Alot of people feel the need to raise of the seat to get it started or bounce the seat, it depends on your bike, just make sure you have a good hold of that tank cause you will feel like it wants to launch you, it wont but you will feel like that. The higher you get the rear the less brake is needed and the farther you can ride it obviously. Good luck and dont be afraid of speed, just make sure you are straight up and down when you pull that brake. any lean to either side will cause funny things to happen.

zx12argh
30-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks Shift thats the sort of info I was looking for. I'll try get some practise in this weekend and put up some picks, cheers!

shift1313
30-01-2007, 09:41 PM
oh yeah, when you start doing them moving at a good speed you dont have to bring it up to the balance point. Ofcourse you will need more brake and you will slow down quicker but you have a good safety net there. Ive been working on steering them for a little while and still cant quite get it down. I found some pdf documents on christian pfeiffer's site about wheelies and stoppies, havent read them yet but they are free to download.

IMP-INC
29-04-2007, 06:32 PM
takes time to learn. and little steps is allways the way. :P