PDA

View Full Version : New Dyna ignition

Rocket
07-01-2007, 08:48 PM
My coils were dodgey and we suspected the pick up plate wasn't helping so i got this lot yesterday.
Hopefully the big fat spark will help cure the bike's appetite for spark plugs as well as letting me set a lower rev limit.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105144965675917.jpg

Rocket
07-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Plenty of messing around with carbs today but it's still getting too much fuel down low. Everywhere else is fine and it's by far the most fucking powerful thing I've ridden and it's still only at 5psi boost.
I'm going to try Ozkats suggestion in his carb mod "how to" thread of having the return fuel pipe above fuel level to help get the fuel pressure lower.
New float needles helped but didn't cure.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105144965674769.jpg

devo
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I sort of follow what you say but check your pilot jet size and also your Fuel mixture screws to Mate.
Simple rule remember that if the mixture screw are at the rear of the carb they are air mixture and if at the front they are fuel mixture.
And everytime you remove and replace your carbs balance them no ifs no buts just do it.
I hope this may help with your delemma but better to run rich than lean mate.
Oh and your bike looks fucken good to Mate.

Rocket
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Cheers Devo,
If I can get the mixtures correct down low, I can set it up a little rich on the needles and mains. Just trying to stop it fouling plugs at the moment.
Booster says no leaner than 12-1 Air Fuel ratio.
i kinda figured if it was set up that way for bigger throttle openings on the needle and main jets, I can keep the pilot and idle side a little leaner for light throttle and idling.

The problem is I'm still getting black plugs and they're still dying (but it's taking longer now) from too much fuel down low.
We're hoping the bigger fatter sparks of the dyna gear will help the plugs burn the charge better and not foul up so quick, or not at all.

I went down one size on pilots but it made no difference so went back up again.
But after changing the float valve and dropping the fuel level 2mm it helped helped but didn't cure it.
We'll probably go back down one size on the pilots again to see what happens.

It's getting there.
It goes like a shot dog when you open the taps though !! Just can't ride it around and run the motor in without changing plugs every 30 minutes.

devo
07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh well Bloke soldier on and I bet Mr NGK or Mr ND are sittin back in their luxury apartments not sayin to much:D:D:D

Benz
08-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Rocket,
If your aircleaner is a bit restrictive, might slow the airflow down, and make the bike rich, or at least difficult to tune, relative to the higher, on boost settings, where the restriction is irrelevant.You might have to go down in pilots much further....maybe,
Just a thought mate, could be wrong, happened once before....:)
A weak spark does somethin similar...can't hurt having new ignition
Oh, your bike looks fuggen killer [:p]

Rocket
08-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Benz that air filter idea is worth a try.
I've just bought a couple more sets of plugs today so I'll fit a fresh set and take a short ride with no filter and see what they come out like.
I'll probably go down a size again in pilots anyway. Like I said before, it needs to be a little fat in the mixture but I think if I cna lean it out for part throttle running, that will solve my problems.

Yeah the bike looks good, as long as you don't get too close. Lots of little things still to do.

alfiestorm
09-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Just a word or advice on the dyna check around the connection point on the dyna 2000 box they are supposed to be waterproof but sometimes they are not due to the sealing compound used at the factory not making a satisfactory seal in other words it will let water in and fuck up if you are unlucky.
I have used a flexible oil based compound it has the consistency of putty so it can be pushed in around the connector and form an extra seal.

Alf

pt
09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by alfiestorm

Just a word or advice on the dyna check around the connection point on the dyna 2000 box they are supposed to be waterproof but sometimes they are not due to the sealing compound used at the factory not making a satisfactory seal in other words it will let water in and fuck up if you are unlucky.
I have used a flexible oil based compound it has the consistency of putty so it can be pushed in around the connector and form an extra seal.

Alf

doesn't rain much in australia so that won't be too much of a problem[:o)]

good luck with it rocket, all those trick bits it's bound to work eventually! keep plugging away (no pun intended)

fimpBIKES
09-01-2007, 09:23 PM
nice mate

fuck shes lookin good!

zx12argh
09-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Turbos are such great fasion accessories for bikes [:o)]

Like a chick in fuck me boots.

Looking good rocket - hope you get you ignition sorted. What sort of HP are you aiming for?

Rocket
09-01-2007, 11:55 PM
ZX I'm hoping for 200 and anything above that will be a bonus.

alfiestorm
11-01-2007, 05:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by pt

[quote]Originally posted by alfiestorm

Alf

doesn't rain much in Australia so that won't be too much of a problem[:o)]
Your right pt but i was thinking more along the lines of when the bike is cleaned/washed with a hose or bucket of water as happened to me once.
Yeah fuck i hope it don't rain much in Auss i am moving over soon :D

Rocket
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
The box will be under the passenger seat cover so should be okay, but I will pay attention to the plugs and try and make sure they're not going to give me problems.

alfiestorm
11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
How much did the dyna ignition cost you in Australia Rocket including all taxes and delivery.
Thought it would be interesting to find out the price difference between the uk and aus and just how much more we are getting ripped off here.
Ta

Rocket
11-01-2007, 10:08 PM
About $800 all up with coils.
I got them through the shop that the mechanic who is helping me sort the bike out works at so i don't know if it's good or bad. I think it's a reasonable price though.

alfiestorm
11-01-2007, 10:36 PM
That works out to approx au$70 or £25 cheaper than it would cost me hear in the uk not a huge saving but thats $70 worth of petrol and a lot of fun

12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I run the same ig.on mine if you have any set up queries[?]ask away[8D]dont think ya spark will fix it tho[V][xx(] most of my probs was related to the pilot;)afta all the engine work i did i still cood not believe that the f@cka ran on standard pilot size!!!!!:D
pick up @ 27%[8D]advance @ #2[:p]redline at 11,500rpm[^]:D

Rocket
13-01-2007, 03:00 AM
You're right about it not curing the problem I'm sure, but my current spark is weak so it will help burn the mixture, doesn't hurt to have the good gear on it anyway so at least I know that isn't adding to the problem.
I'll be setting my redline a bit lower though, won't need to rev it too hard I reckon.
probably drop down a size on the pilot tomorrow and see how we go.