PDA

View Full Version : general guidelines for motorbike modifications NSW

Gix11
17-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I think this is similar to the QLD one submitted. Large found this one.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

newf fighter
18-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Only thing you need to be legal on the roads here are a headlight and a working tail light plus Rego and that shit. The fuzz really don't pay much heed to that stuff anyway. Rode my CBR all season with only a head and tail light, no speedo, no cluster at all...bare bones.

Think I may have a part time job before I get back into school so I figure I'll get rolling on the CB 750 trike. Streetbike VIN makes it all nice and legal. haha

24-01-2006, 11:10 AM
[8D]Ive been trying to get this info for some time & thank you Si,but wot i cant work out is the table that has the formula regarding engine capacity[}:)]
any takers;)

speeddemon
24-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Ignore it perhaps. I would go with the 15% increase rule that im sure is still around.

My calcs are that all us boys on 200kg bikes should be using 500cc supercharged engines or a 600cc stoker - ummm which would I use. I dont get it either. Maybe the chart was for allowable increase in engine capacity so my B12 can be a B18! - not likley

chadams
24-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm sure my z750 would look great with a hair dryer hanging off the front or a blower under the seat.... hehee. only problem is the bike would be off the road for too long.......

Large
03-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Just found this. Dated 1998 but some interesting (funny) stuff about mudguards and sissy bars lol

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi28.pdf

FAT460
03-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah Large what you have there are the current guidlines. Basically what is there is classed as owner approved modifacations and anything else/more major requires engineer certification for rego. The one at the top of the post is an extract from there guide to light vehicle modifacation which relates to cars only. I have a full hard copy of this guide which covers everything you can and can't do so if anyone wants some info sing out. I'm licensed to do NSW pink and blue slips inc write offs etc if anyone gets stuck or is being dicked around for a rego. Also have a list of approved NSW engineering signatories if anyone needs to know.

Paul.

Gix11
03-04-2007, 07:53 PM
So that's cars only then Paul? No bike stuff?

FAT460
04-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah Si the top one with the engine swap formulas etc is for cars. The actual folder I got from the RTA is quite large and covers cars/bikes/caravans/trailers and specific mods like limo's and dual control cars etc. The top one here is an exert from the car section and the bike one put up by Large is pretty much all there is for bikes. The things like mudguards and handlebars etc are all current. From what I've come accross in the past the cops don't know a whole lot but the headaches come from rego time. There are ways to get around most things that won't hurt you or your rego man but it depends how helpfull your rego man is;). I can scan all the bike stuff and post it if its of any help. Cheers.

Paul.

Large
04-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Paul,

I'd be interested in seeing the bike specific stuff.

Would it be available on the RTA website?

Cheers

Rich

FAT460
05-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah mate it should be there. Info is a bit hard to find on there sometimes as there is a massive amount of info on that site. I grabbed my copy from the workshop today and hopefully will have it scanned and posted over the weekend.

Paul.

ozkat
05-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey Paul give me a call sometime.

FAT460
06-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Will do mate. Look forward to catching up soon.
Paul.

Tom
21-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi,

First post, hope you can help.

I've been riding a motard for a few years (i think you have a spec sheet on it in your gallery actually) and will be upgrading to a street fighter soon. I was hoping to buy a crashed bike from auction and street fighter it. I kind of know what i'm doing as i street fightered my flatmates bike for him when he crashed it a few months ago, but the reregistering bit is new to me.

Question is, can you reregister a bike in NSW on the WOVR in streetfighter form or do you have to put all the fairings back on and fix it to "stock" form?

I don't want to go to all the effort of fixing a bike only to find i can't reregister it. Has anyone got a similar list for NSW to the one posted for reregistering a written off bike QLD that i saw on this forum? It liiked really helpful.

Thanks for any help.

Tom.

EXBEN
21-08-2007, 11:11 AM
It doesn't need to be back to stock, as long as it complies with all relevant regulations ie: E stamped lights, 300mm indicator spacing,mirrors etc... & you need recipts for everything you've replaced so they know it's not been done with stolen parts, & for any work you've paid for. Leave the stock exhaust on if you can till it's passed.
Once you've got your blue slip & green slip & you go to the registry, you will probably get sent for an ID check. This has replaced the "Pits" & they basicly check that all the numbers on the bike match the documentation you've supplied & look for restamped numbers.

fimpBIKES
21-08-2007, 12:42 PM
and they HATE shit thats been bought off eBay!

check out my TLR's built thread and u'll see what she looked like when i got it passed rego,
farrr from stock looking (but all legal, sorta, enough...)

Tom
21-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks, had a look at your thread fimp, very helpful. I had to go through that identity check thing with my current bike cause i bought it unregistered from Victoria. What a nightmare, trying to organise the greenslip to correspond with the rego date and receipts! everyone wanted the originals! 3 different departments told me i had to give THEM the original copies of all my receipts? how does that work, i only have 1 original copy? idiots.

I guess the next step is to pick up something at an auction and start wrenching on it.

By the way, whats an "E stamped light" are the cheapo Acerbis style twin halogens e stamped?

Tom
21-08-2007, 01:38 PM
One more thing, are you allowed to drill bar clamps into a stock triple clamp, or do you need to buy a new top triple?

Gix11
21-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Drilling is no problem mate as long as you do it sensibly.

E Stamp? Look for this stamp on the actual light unit mate:

http://www.justkampers.co.uk/technical/techimages/emark.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/30537170182826.jpg

fimpBIKES
21-08-2007, 03:18 PM
i dont think it has to be "e-stamped" basically u just need to have a seperate park-light bulb yeah?

fuck-nose why, cos most bikes have the lows wired to the ignition anyways....

Tom
21-08-2007, 03:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

and they HATE shit thats been bought off eBay!

Speaking of Ebay, did you guys see this?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320147547154&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

I still have the guy's phone number but haven't been able to see it yet. Changing out a frame sounds like a looooot of work though.

Richd
07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Paul,
I just read your post and am wondering if you might have any info regarding the engineering inspection/approval procedures for an icv motorcycle.The project bike will be a trellis frame litre sportsbike with a hossack style front end.Frame,front end,swingarm and body work will be fabricated by myself,the rest will be from a donor bike,R1,GSXR 1000 etc.I realise this is a monster project and engineers approvals will run into the thousands if not tens of,but what is the process that you know of?I have approached a few engineers in Melbourne here with differing responses.They weren't interested in CAD drawings or sketches.This project differs from others in that it has non telescopic fork front end and this may give them grief.Of course it would be far easier and cheaper to build a track-only machine but having it street registered is the whole point.NSW may differ from Vic slightly but I' imagine that it'd be covered by a common federal law.Any info would be greatly appreciated cheers rich

quote:Originally posted by FAT460

Yeah Large what you have there are the current guidlines. Basically what is there is classed as owner approved modifacations and anything else/more major requires engineer certification for rego. The one at the top of the post is an extract from there guide to light vehicle modifacation which relates to cars only. I have a full hard copy of this guide which covers everything you can and can't do so if anyone wants some info sing out. I'm licensed to do NSW pink and blue slips inc write offs etc if anyone gets stuck or is being dicked around for a rego. Also have a list of approved NSW engineering signatories if anyone needs to know.

Paul.

Gix11
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Make two more posts on the forum and you'll be able to email Paul directly through his profile mate. He hasn't been around for a little while but will be glad to help.

Richd
08-01-2008, 06:57 PM
no worries cool thanks

pt
09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

I think this is similar to the QLD one submitted. Large found this one.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

just tried the link and the RTA have "moved or deleted" it. anyone got a copy of the current one or a new link? please:)

Res7
28-08-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd also love to know the go with mods in more detail.
I'm thinking of having a tank made, but until i know the legalities,
I'm kinda stuck. I'm having an attack of "while it's of the road" at the moment. Harley Gavidsons seem to mod however they want and get away with it. Please help me.

Res7
29-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Bump

sfoc711uk
31-08-2008, 08:20 AM
What would it take to make this legal to use in Nsw,as i dont have lights on for the uk.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/89627818126863.jpg

hooligan
31-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Everything you'd probably need for a car in the UK. Lights, indicators, horn, dB rating of the exhaust...

Pretty broad question without knowing the bike.

And Res, if the RTA don't know it's been modified, they're not going to complain about your mods, are they?

sfoc711uk
01-09-2008, 01:03 AM
So just throw some lights on for the test and play dumb and reckon on its standard and dont tell em ive built it.The exhaust is loud but reckon on thats standard too?.

Is the rta the same sort of thing as our uk mot yearly check.

Shadowzone
01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
RTA = <s>The NSW Scumbag Govt Dept designed to raise revenue from bikes and trucks </s> Road and Transport Authority. Yes the annual pink slip is the equivalent of your yearly MOT check...

dinorider
01-09-2008, 09:16 PM
blue slipped mine last thursday and the mechanic checked that the lights worked and took down the frame and engine numbers.didnt start it or ride it.guess it depends who does the bluey.

17-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Anyone have an idea about the go with capacity increases...or just play dumb ?

chopaweeza
17-09-2008, 09:26 PM
15% is allowable if they are from the same manufacturer and there are no frame changes . Any more is an Engineers Certificate. But there are several other bits as well . The exceptions are a series of 70's & 80's 250's that were also the basis of a series of 400's . IE. CB250 , XS250 , Z250 and GSX250

17-09-2008, 09:43 PM
So the gixxer in the CB is going to need an Eng Cert

chopaweeza
17-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Shit yeh . But , there are a pre-established set of requirements they need to pass something like that and that the Engineers typically follow. You have to upgrade - Brakes , Suspension and brace the frame for starters

chopaweeza
17-09-2008, 10:16 PM
But , it's easier to get that EC'd then to get many other things done. Very much a formula but not that difficult once you understand the ground rules .

chopaweeza
17-09-2008, 10:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by sfoc711uk

What would it take to make this legal to use in Nsw,as i dont have lights on for the uk.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/89627818126863.jpg

Righto . The tail height is too high . The rear guard doesn't cover 45 degrees rearward from the line of the axle , mirrors of a legalheight & size , Indicators that are E Stamped & 300mm apart(spacing have been changed recently apparently though) , E stamped headlight that has a seperate clear parker bulb , an E Stamped tail light , number plate light , number plate in the center line of the bike at the rear at an angle of less than 30 degrees , chain guard that covers 45 degrees rearward of the line of the axle , ADR compliant brake lines , 80Db exhaust , Speedo that is back lit & has a brake warning light & a Hi Beam warning light and a bunch of other stuff . Now , if you wanted to register it as the original year of manufacture you have to take it all back to stock including the exhaust(And I do mean as it left the factory for the entire bike) with particular attention to the stock carby's & air cleaner. Easier to have it complianced as a new construction .

sfoc711uk
18-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Fucks sake they dont want much do they, puts ya off even coming over there.

So go on hit me with it what does new construction involve and require then.

chopaweeza
18-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like alot and yeh it is but it's doable. Easiest way to pass it is to buy a complete tail end off a stocker that one of this lot had carved off , make mounts to bolt it onto your frame , extend the rear guard to be legal if necessary , borrow an E Stamped headlight/blinkers/tail light , add a stock exhaust , quieten the motor right down and the rest is as I've said previously. When done convert it mostly back to the way it was but make sure you have 2 mirror's & a working headlight or you are sure to be pinched everytime you pass a police car . It is alot simpler to sell it in the UK and buy one out here instead though. They make it that way on purpose . Getting a bike like this through Engineers Certification will cost anywhere from $1500 -8000 depending on who does it and the tests they want to perform on it. Most are around the $2000 mark and involve brake tests & noise run tests . Some however will have the frame Xrayed at about $3000 and some will do Frame Stress Load testing at about $2-3000 as well.

18-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Mate I think I'm gunna have a talk to you about my project.The Eng Cert's have got gobsmacked

chopaweeza
18-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Well , I've been through the process many times and next month am booking the XR600 rigid in to get done as well. So we'll sit down with some beer and I'll let you pick my brain .

Cruisecontrol
18-09-2008, 05:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza
Righto . The tail height is too high . The rear guard doesn't cover 45 degrees rearward from the line of the axle , mirrors of a legalheight & size , Indicators that are E Stamped & 300mm apart(spacing have been changed recently apparently though) , E stamped headlight that has a seperate clear parker bulb , an E Stamped tail light , number plate light , number plate in the center line of the bike at the rear at an angle of less than 30 degrees , chain guard that covers 45 degrees rearward of the line of the axle , ADR compliant brake lines , 80Db exhaust , Speedo that is back lit & has a brake warning light & a Hi Beam warning light and a bunch of other stuff .

I think you just described my bike. [:I]
I must say though that it breezed through its blue slip inspection, every pink slip inspection since and survived a close inspection from the plod that followed me for a while and pulled me up in front of my house "just for a look".

If it is done right and looks half way decent, they will generally leave you alone.

18-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Cheer's mate, I'll see ya Sunday and say G'day

chopaweeza
18-09-2008, 06:25 PM
It's a very fine line sometimes and it really does depend on the knowledge of the person that pulls you over . Thats why the RTA inspection taps they set up on popular bike roads are something to avoid at all costs . Getting a pinky if something looks sort of OK isn't an issue , getting a bluey if it looks OK & it's the same capacity engine can be not an issue either but getting an EC is tricky and you really need to know whats what or be prepared to spend alot of time & money getting jerked around . The trick with most fighters is making it look like a Blue Slip Inspector won't have anything to look further into . So , swapping parts over for the inspection , making bits that look good but aren't overly radical and other tricks will usually get you through without having to get an EC . With 711's bike it's a Private Import as well as all the rest so he can't use any of the tricks to just get it a Bluey as it has never been Australian Complianced or previously Australian registered . However , bring the bike in as parts , get an Australian complianced frame and with about 2 weekends work ........Mmmmmmmm just might work .

Cruisecontrol
18-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Too true.
I avoided any work that required an EC for exactly that reason.

Bear
18-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I thought the db sticker/stamp on exhausts was dismissed in 2006? Mainly because the stickers would wear off (dirt bikes).

chopaweeza
18-09-2008, 09:13 PM
They did however the requirement for Db rating when they EC still exists . They make you do runs at 5 different speeds going past a set point and it has to be within a set range to pass. One of the most common things they fail you on .

sfoc711uk
19-09-2008, 05:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

It's a very fine line sometimes and it really does depend on the knowledge of the person that pulls you over . Thats why the RTA inspection taps they set up on popular bike roads are something to avoid at all costs . Getting a pinky if something looks sort of OK isn't an issue , getting a bluey if it looks OK & it's the same capacity engine can be not an issue either but getting an EC is tricky and you really need to know whats what or be prepared to spend alot of time & money getting jerked around . The trick with most fighters is making it look like a Blue Slip Inspector won't have anything to look further into . So , swapping parts over for the inspection , making bits that look good but aren't overly radical and other tricks will usually get you through without having to get an EC . With 711's bike it's a Private Import as well as all the rest so he can't use any of the tricks to just get it a Bluey as it has never been Australian Complianced or previously Australian registered . However , bring the bike in as parts , get an Australian complianced frame and with about 2 weekends work ........Mmmmmmmm just might work .

Thanks for all that mate, I dont want to sell it cos i built it and its been in the streetfighters mag too. Ive got 2 of these bikes and can only import 1 per year because of the visa im on.I did enquire about bringing the second one as parts which means take the forks,wheels and handlebars off. But the removed parts cannot be on the same vessel so it would cost more to ship over than get import approval.

Also thought about doing the frame swap as you said but ive altered the mounting lugs so id have to do all that again, and the people who i know in the uk i think will take a while to find in oz.

Im even considering leaving both bikes here for now and see if we like living in oz first. I know the advantages of living there as we were there last year but if the legistlation is gonna be communist style i think i would end up back here and put with 3 days sunshine a year.

Davekwaka98
23-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I know were to get easy blue slip in blacktown this guy checks info and your off all he says to me is its just a fuckn bike hehehe.

sfoc711uk
24-09-2008, 07:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by Davekwaka98

I know were to get easy blue slip in blacktown this guy checks info and your off all he says to me is its just a fuckn bike hehehe.

Is blacktown in nsw if it is i may be calling on you bud.

sfoc711uk
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM

BUMP

sfoc711uk
15-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I know the bike im bringing may have the odd problem getting it registered but i think im gonna strip my second bike and bring the 1100m engine and running gear to build a fuck off hardtail chop. Whats it like for these in nsw. And keep the streetfighter of course just fancy another maybe.

Large
15-10-2008, 06:31 PM

BUMP

I'm pretty sure new construction costs a fortune to run brake tests and other shit like emissions testing.

Don't sweat it too much mate. Roly (flatmate) got his turbo Ksomething 750 through on an engineers report.

Starts at about $250ish plus a hunge or so for each mod. He had heaps so cost him 2k. But he had to engineer motor/brakes/chassis/subframe/suspension/exhaust/ etc etc etc. It was like reading a little novela but the cast was AS numbers and the story was told in $. The difference was that he added heaps of shit, where you've removed heaps of useless stuff...and stuff that isn't there doesn't need to be engineered.

Bring ya sunscreen and sense of humour and you'll do ok bloke.:)

sfoc711uk
17-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Cool mate that will do for me, gives me a bit more hope. As long as the ship dont sink with it on then ill be taking up scuba diving.

RevHead
23-03-2010, 08:20 PM
best option is to go and meet your local mechanic,who does blue n pink slips ,get to know these guys,im a mechanic n most of my mates have there rego ticket here in n.s.w ,i can get almost anything past for rego so long as the lights n blinkers ,horn work lol cheers

28-09-2010, 12:41 PM
very handy,thanks