PDA

View Full Version : Went out to look at bikes the other day

sheezymaneezy
21-10-2006, 12:15 PM
And obviously there's only NT MCs, Honda & Baxters.

I didn't bother with Baxters because they never have anything in anyway.

I've been into NTMC countless times to look at bikes since they get alot of new bikes coming in, and wow, I don't know how they even sell bikes. I was in there for about 1/2 hour looking and no one came and helped me out. There were guys doing the accessories section, finance etc but couldn't find the guy selling the bikes. I asked the others where I could find the salesperson and they said he'll come over when he's ready. After all that I didn't bother.

Went into Honda and the guy there is awesome. He was actually more keen on talking bikes then selling. He put on a good deal for a brand new CBR600RR, and also the two 2nd hand bikes; 05 600RR and 04 ZX6R were awesome and the prices I would say are better than what I've been able to find.

Has anyone else got feedback about these places here? All I can say is that if I were to buy a bike from here, it'll be Honda.

Benz
21-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Too true[V] there is a very sad lack of motorcycle shops in Darwin, and if you want something you had better be prepared to wait for it to come from 'down south'.
The honda guys seem to be fairly organised[still takes three trips to get the right part, though.....] NT MC's appear to think they have the market covered,. and service seems to depend on how fast you rip your money out..... Baxter's......they 'looked after' my engine for the previous owner, they glued bits of rubber to the diaphrams in the CV carbies to fix splits, and charged the earth for something that completely stuffed the operation. I could go on and on about how much was charged,[when I bought the slabby 1100 he gave me baxters receipts for about $6k, bike cost me $2.2k, and a further $1.5k to replace 'repaired' parts]and how little was actually repaired. Maybe they have new mechanics now,[and maybe the previous owner had something to do with poor choices]but they won't see my bike anywhere near their shop.
Occasionally the wreckers have a bargain on the floor. I think there's still a ZZR1100 on the floor for about 6.5k,not a real bargain, but it's very straight, and there's a coupla late model wrecks that would make good 'fighters,if you're into a rebuild. I just haven't checked lately, bathroom renos have kinda taken prioity[^]

ow2839
22-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Flat out refuse to go to NT MC after having bought 2 new bikes in consecutive years from them, then bang! new money from south and that 'O' Wanker arrives,[xx(] then not so much as a how the hell are you when I went to again, buy a new bike! :(Honda will put their product in front of yours if you have a bike on commission, which is alright if you didn't have to pay $100 bucks for the privilige[?]. I bought my last bike from Baxter's in suport of the little bloke, but have since decided they are perhaps a little bit too 'little' to provide consistent service. So it's the internet for me, until at least I get the licence to sell Euro bling bikes up here....![8D]

Benz
22-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Welcome OW, another rider from the NT who has been through the mill trying to find service.
Euro bling?? What's the plan??

sheezymaneezy
22-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Benz, how long ago did you take that bike in? My father knows the owner of Baxters very well, and they actually don't have a 'fully qualified' mechanic, since the original one left some time ago.
I also know that NTMC's don't either, as my friend is an apprentice there, and if there's something more than a general service to be done, it's off to Alicross.
Alicross are great though (I know Richard the owner quite well), and does an awesome job, and if something's doesn't seem right, he'll strip it right down again to have a look. He will also come back to you after a week or two to check up on the bike.

Also, welcome OW, I'm really new here too. What's the go with the licence? Hook me up with a Euro :D Although I must say, doesn't NTMC's already have most Euro's covered?

Benz
22-10-2006, 03:54 PM
The slabby 1100 I bought around 2 1/2 years ago, so I guess the "mechanic" who did the "work" on the bike has moved on. I actually know one mechanic who worked for Baxters after the incidents I mentioned. He didn't stay on, said nothing, refused to talk about why... enough said really. I have been in to Baxters to try and buy some Kawasaki parts, but waited in the showroom for half an hour, and got no service.[V]
Alicross is my only shop of preference here too. Richard has my ZX750 turbo motor on his bench right now. He also welded up a Gixxer 600/katana combo swingarm to fit into the now swapped Katana dragbike. It was done quickly, and accurately, for a fair price. he gets my vote
My son was also working at NTMC's,[school based new apprenticeship]until they lost a mechanic earlier this year, which stuffed the ratio of mech's to apps, [that's what we were told] so, last on first off, and out the door he went. It was mighty disappointing for me, and my son, as it initially looked like he was set for a full apprenticeship

sheezymaneezy
22-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Oh nice, how long has yours been in Alicross for? It's not the one bike that's on the very first bench when you walk in? All I can remember was that it was a drag bike and it also had green springs.
Why don't you ask Richard for your son to do an apprenticeship there, because he told me before that they were looking but couldn't find anyone.

Benz
23-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Alicross only have the motor at their w/shop. The rest of the bike is being modified to run a '98 Gsxr USD front and '91rear end.
Should lose about 50 lbs of ugly fat in the process, and with an uprated turbo, the old girl will have enough poke, and maybe even handle and brake okay!!
I WILL ask Richard about an apprenticeship for my son, no harm in askin[8D]

sheezymaneezy
23-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Definately ask about the apprenticeship. At least he'll be learning from the best [:p]

BTW, anyone seen the fightered Ninja in the trading post? Looks tough.

sheezymaneezy
29-10-2006, 10:52 PM
ow2839: Have you opened up a new business already? As I've spotted in a current bike magazine a place that's the dealer for Moto Guzzi and I've never heard of it before..
Free bike? :D

Benz
30-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Well my son has dropped his resume in at Alicross, we will wait and see if Richard decides to take him on.
There is no doubt Alicross is the best shop to learn at,it's the only one that I've seen in town with a clean, seperate engine rebuild room, one the reasons my turbo engine is getting rebuilt there.
OW, what's the go on the new business?

sheezymaneezy
30-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I totally agree about Alicross Benz, and that I know for a fact that both Baxters and NTMCs take bikes there to get fixed.
Hopefully OW has his business up and running, I would love to support him (providing he's not like the other shops here :P)

ninjaboy
16-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey guys! another darwin rider here that you can add to the list. I have given up on baxters, they have an awesome habit of not calling you back!!! Never heard of Alicross, where is it? Do they just fix bikes?

Benz
16-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Welcome Ninja boy:)
Alicross is on Mataram st Winnellie. The main man, Richard has plenty of experience, not all of it just motorcycle service and repair.
The shop can do aluminium work, or throw a huge turbo on your rotary drag car, pretty versatile.
I just wish he'd hurry up and finish my GPZ 810 turbo engine, I'm gettin a little twitchy, need the boost factor back in my riding:D

sheezymaneezy
25-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Hey new fella :) I'm quite new myself though.

Benz, did your son get any word if he got the apprenticeship at Alicross?

OW2839, I have a funny feeling you're the dude behind Mick Horne MCs? Let us know how it's going, would love to help out and what not.

Benz
25-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah sheezy, I had another talk about his chances,Richard says he's not lookin right now, but maybe in the new year he'll take another look at it. My son [David] is now working elsewhere,earning a good buck, so an apprenticeship is not quite so desirable now he's had a taste of few dollars to splash around.Still worth trying next year though

sheezymaneezy
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Your son's name is David, and he works/used to work at NTMCs as an apprentice?

Benz
04-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Correctness:) You know him???

sheezymaneezy
10-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Yep, I know him from football.

Benz
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Alicross is planning on installing a Dyno early next year. My turbo will be one of his first customers. Thank God someone up here who knows what he's doing will have the correct tools to get my air/fuel ratio correct.
Sheezy, I'll tell Dave he has a mate on this site........when and if I see the little socialite.

sheezymaneezy
14-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I know! That's excellent, and I bet he's going to pull in basically everyone with a bike. He's also mentioned that he may be relocating.

I also told Dave about Richard looking for an apprentice ages ago, but I guess he didn't do anything about it?