PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 750M fork travel

moog
28-07-2006, 11:13 AM
I,m making an exhaust for my GSXR 750 M, which i've fitted a GSX 1100 EF engine into, and i can't find a spec on the front suspension travel, so i don't know how far the pipes can stick out without getting tangled in the front wheel, I've pushed the forks down as far as i can and i reckon its 70mm, but i can't feel them bottom out so i'm not sure, has anyone got it written down on a spec sheet, or find it in a factory manual, Much appreciated.....thanks.

NakedTurboBusa
28-07-2006, 11:32 AM
check the OE manual on this site.

28-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Each to his own mate, BUT WHY?

Not building a straightliner are you?

Deano
28-07-2006, 12:14 PM
i am with stupid^^^^^^^^^;)[8D]

Hillsy
28-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Jack up the front, undo the fork caps, pull out the springs then gently bring the front down until they bottom out. Easy. Why is still a good question, though.......

Tony Nitrous
28-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Remember it being done in the UK many years a go.
Something about being a VERY tight fit and couldnt
get the cam cover off, not 100% on which frame it was.

Full mark for being different, but there might be a
reason why you dont see many about ;)

Tony.J.

28-07-2006, 04:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hillsy

Jack up the front, undo the fork caps, pull out the springs then gently bring the front down until they bottom out. Easy. Why is still a good question, though.......

That'll actually drop the front lower than it would go with the springs in, as the springs only compress so far. What's needed is the length of the fully compressed springs, cut a broom handle/dowel to the same length and put it in where the springs go, caps back on, and there's you're ride height at maximum compression.

Still wanna know why though? Cornering clearance just won't exist anymore, although the torque of the 1150 will certainly make burnouts/mono's easy.

moog
28-07-2006, 05:17 PM
i'll tell you why........
Its my EX UK streetbike championship winning 1260 with variable valve timing, lock-up clutch, 39mm Keihin's, quick shifter, etc,etc, LOAD's of torque, enough to do power wheelies in 3rd gear, in the old EF chassis ( & this one's 40mm shorter )..
( no corners on a drag strip anyway )

Chalk 10,
yes your right this doesn't work, i already looked at that, you can't just pull out the springs, it's not like old fashioned ( right way up forks ) where the springs just drop in the top, on these they're sandwiched between 2 tube parts, also you can't just count the coils and add up the distance, because that would mean coil binding the springs which is never done ( a sure fire way to wreck a spring ).
The easiest way is look at a spec sheet, they alway's tell you things like that when its a new model, but i couldn't find it in the manual.(many thanks for that Gixer pilot )

28-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Hmmm Sounds interesting, pity you're in WA, would've like to see it at straightliners.

Hillsy
28-07-2006, 08:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by moog

i'll tell you why........
Its my EX UK streetbike championship winning 1260 with variable valve timing, lock-up clutch, 39mm Keihin's, quick shifter, etc,etc, LOAD's of torque, enough to do power wheelies in 3rd gear, in the old EF chassis ( & this one's 40mm shorter )..
( no corners on a drag strip anyway )

Chalk 10,
yes your right this doesn't work, i already looked at that, you can't just pull out the springs, it's not like old fashioned ( right way up forks ) where the springs just drop in the top, on these they're sandwiched between 2 tube parts, also you can't just count the coils and add up the distance, because that would mean coil binding the springs which is never done ( a sure fire way to wreck a spring ).
The easiest way is look at a spec sheet, they alway's tell you things like that when its a new model, but i couldn't find it in the manual.(many thanks for that Gixer pilot )

Ahhh....sorry - didn't realise they were USD forks. You could put cable ties around the stantions and bounce the hell out of the forks. The cable ties will move down the stantions pretty close to the limit......

moog
29-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Yea, that's how i did it to get to 70mm, i hooked a 10 ft pole under the rear sub-frame loop, and rested it over the yolks, and levered the front end down as far as i could, but i couldn't feel them bottom out, maybe that just prooves they're bloody good forks.