PDA

View Full Version : GPz900 OR GPz1000Rx motor wnated.

13-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi guys, guess what? the 9 has chucked a serious wobbly[V]:([xx(], so I'm looking around for a replacement donk.[8)]

A 1000Rx motor would be ideal, but I'd be happy with a 900. Must be in good nick.[:p]

Any help much appreciated.:)

Regards

Chalk.

chadams
13-06-2006, 02:34 PM
hey chalky..... there are a few on Egay..... good luck...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KAWASAKI-GPZ900R-GPZ-900-R-MOTORCYCLE-ADELAIDE-1987_W0QQitemZ4649980934QQcategoryZ102686QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kawasaki-GPZ1000-RX-excellent-quick-bike_W0QQitemZ4650018788QQcategoryZ102686QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KAWASAKI-GPZ-1000RX_W0QQitemZ4650004151QQcategoryZ102686QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Motorbike-Kawasaki-GPZ-1000RX-Road-Bike-Tourer_W0QQitemZ4647092037QQcategoryZ102686QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

13-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks Chadams, done well. :)

I'm just after the motor, so I'll keep an eye on the first one, the others are a bit exxy. I'm going to pull my motor out tonight, so that I can pull it down. May be worth rebuilding, I'll have to see.

Anybody have any info on the bike specific supercharger kits that are supposed to be coming out of Europe, the ones that have the drive from the gearbox area rather than the end of the crank?[:p] If I have to rebuild I might as well do it in style;)

TurboKat
13-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Never recovered from runnin it outta oil on the Fools Run Huh Chalk?

14-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Dunno Turbo, but I'm pulling it down this week, so will let you know. Did check the cams though (it was the inlet cams which ran dry on the run) and they are OK. Have to delve deeper into the bowels of it. Time to check out the Wiseco catalogue.

gibbo
14-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Just burn it Chalk, burn it all, that'll fuck it;)

15-06-2006, 10:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

Just burn it Chalk, burn it all, that'll fuck it;)

Come on now Gibbo, behave yourself! It's not a Honda :D

And I'll be burning RUBBER again before you girls know it. ;)

Tony Nitrous
15-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Mr Chalk,

I know the 9 is spine frame,
and the ZZR1100 is alloy beam,
but how similar are the motors ?
I know the ZZR is the Evolution of the early 9.
Im sure i've seen a GPZZR9/11R somewhere but cant remember if its
a slot-in or major surgery.

Just a thought.

Tony.J.

chadams
15-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Com on chalky get your fighting gear out and fix that bike...

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4473/chalk10a3qa.jpg

16-06-2006, 09:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Mr Chalk,

I know the 9 is spine frame,
and the ZZR1100 is alloy beam,
but how similar are the motors ?
I know the ZZR is the Evolution of the early 9.
Im sure i've seen a GPZZR9/11R somewhere but cant remember if its
a slot-in or major surgery.

Just a thought.

Tony.J.

Yeah, I have looked at it Tony, but the 9 mounts from the head, and the 11 mounts from the crank cases. The only way to do it is to extend the mounts on the frame, or manufacture a cage from the crank case to the head. Either one would be a signficant job just making it ridgid enough.
Wiseco have a 975cc kit for mine at a reasonable price, so might look at that. Pulling engine apart this weekend so will have a better idea of what a rebuild will require, and what I can get away with.
I really like the idea of those new superchargers that are taking their drive from the gearbox area, rather than the end of the crank, nice and tidily tucked away. Thought about Turbo's, but I don't have enough room at the front for the plumbing, willing to listen if anyone can advise better though.
One thing restricting what I do is time, I want the mother back on the road, quickly, which will probably push me towards the 975cc kit (OK Chad;)), for now.:D

loosebruce
17-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Howya going with it Chalkie?
Need any tools?

17-06-2006, 11:13 AM
How's it going there Loose?

I'll be needing valve and piston ring compressors at some stage (assuming it's worth rebuilding now[B)]), but I have just about everything else. Just bought a nice new set of digital verniers, and I'll pick up a torque wrench for the job as well, I'm due a new one.

We should organise a locals SF BBQ at some stage. I'm in Hawker now, and WesTheIrishMan is my local butcher, so there's a good start.
We can all stand around looking at the damage and going 'Oooooh nasty' :D or 'ha ha' [:0]

Tell ya what, having a lined garage is a goddamned godsend. I was able to pull bits off the bike till midnight last night;). 2 more bolts and the engine drops out, be doing that when a mate turns up this arvo, then it'll be 'inspect the internals time':(.

I'm kinda hoping it needs a rebore, then I don't need to make up an excuse to get the 972cc kit[:p]. That's gotta help don't ya think? ;)

loosebruce
17-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Sounds good Chalk.
I've got a ring compressor,but not a valve lifter that will do the job.
When I did the top end on the GS, just dropped the head and cams into Fyshwick Head Services,they did valve guides,replaced valves and even did the shims,(lucky I wasn't in a hurry though).
Hope it's not too grizly inside the motor.

loosebruce
17-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Just had a thought, gtr1000 top end, must be a million of those around.

18-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, the head, block, sump, No 2 & 3 rods removed from crank.

Head, looks pretty good, haven't removed the valves, but it's fairly clean looking.Might well get away with new guides and lapping in.[8D]
Block, hone and rings only ;).
Bottom End, still haven't split the cases, but No 3 rod had about 3mm of vertical movement[:0], so off it came, once the sump was removed. I now have proof that Kawasaki's are bullet proof motors[^], not a skerrick of bearing material was left between the rod and crank:(!!! I mean not a fucking skerrick, it completely lunched the bearing and spat it out into the sump[V]. Certainly explains that funny noise the motor was making[:o)] definitely more than a loose tappet[:I]

So will take crank/block off to Berco this week, and order in some rings/gaskets/bearing etc etc etc.
Given that it'll probably cost me as much to rebuild my existing motor as it will to replace it, I'm better off going for the 'renewed' option. It'll be just like a bought one ;). Plus it keeps me off the streets at night. :D
I'll post a photo of what a bearing can be reduced to a bit later, it fucking amazed me, and how I didn't throw the rod I'll never know, but fark I'm glad[}:)]

I'll PM you about the ring compressors whenI get closer to putting it back together Loose. :)

18-06-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/62853066852049.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/628530668102803.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/62853066891553.JPG

chadams
18-06-2006, 09:26 PM
keep us all posted on the progress.... :-)

greenman43
19-06-2006, 09:47 AM
quote:
Yeah, I have looked at it Tony, but the 9 mounts from the head, and the 11 mounts from the crank cases. The only way to do it is to extend the mounts on the frame, or manufacture a cage from the crank case to the head. Either one would be a signficant job just making it rigid enough.

As the ZX10-11 engine uses a downdraft head, you may find clearance is a problem too. Not sure about price / availability / configuration, but have you looked into GPZ1100 (95+) or ZRX 1100/1200 motors ? They're both side-draft, and while they don't make a million hp, they are very torquey.

I'm planniong on buying and building a GPZ9 myself in the fairly near future, so I'll be interested to see which road you go down. Best of luck !

Cheers,
Brian

loosebruce
19-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Some pretty major carnage Chalkie, that first shot looks like rainbow fish got chucked in a mincer.(Dunno if you've read that book).
Anything at Joes?

20-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Haven't tried Joe's yet, I'll wait and see what the rebuild is going to cost, it's my preferred option. And no, ain't read that one, was it anything like the chipper in Fargo?

Just got to find time, works quite busy at the moment.

loosebruce
04-07-2006, 08:21 PM
How did ya go Chalk?

05-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Picked up a motor from Joe's for $500, with 3 months warranty. And if I haven't blown it up in 3 months it must be a good one.

Fitting it up at the moment, along with some new brackets and headlight unit that I've made up. finish in the next week or so.

We'll have to have short ride (to a pub somewhere) once it's sorted.

sharky
05-07-2006, 02:00 PM
If you want it I have a gpz 9 seat base and original foam you can have for the postage cost . I only wanted the cover.

05-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Definitely interested Sharky, I'll PM you my details.
I am about to get mine recovered, in a solo seat style, so a spare base means I can ride while the new base is being done. :)
Spent last night grinding away on the welds for the new radiator and headlight brackets, fuck I'm a shit welder, but at least the bits stick together. And I found out the hard way that you shouldn't arc-weld without a shirt on. I'm probably the only person in history to get a 'sunburn' in CBR in the middle of winter.

Loose, you still down south way, or am I thinking of Talla? Anyway you interested in going for a run up south of Sydney way, catch up with some of the Sydney guys, in a coupls of weeks? And any other locals of course.

sharky
05-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Got it mate. You have have the cover too. It so nearly fits but not quite. I will weigh it and mail you the details.

A nasty welding story for ya....
Mate in uk has 20mm clear plugs in his ears (piercings) and he is a welder....One night he could smell burning and his ears getting hotter....The clear plastic was directing the arc light to the edges of the plug.........Must be the first case of 'Arc ear'....

05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Fark, that'd have ta hurt.

I've got a brother in NZ, who's a panel beater, and towards the end of his apprenticeship he got hit in the head by a flying anvil (the big one too, not the little fecker). He'd been smacking the crap out of a bent car, too close to the wall, and it dislodged the anvil from it's hanger. Couple of hours at the hospital and he was bandaged and off home. Guess what, the dumb fuck promptly forgot what he had done, and two weeks later the same feckin anvil hit him in the same feckin spot. Panelbeaters..... the true intellectuals of the trades world NOT.

loosebruce
05-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Good ta hear your nearly mobile again,Chalk.
Sounds like Joes looked after you on the motor, i've had pretty good dealings with them.
Pub sounds good, or a local ride.
Currently got the fairings back on the 11 because when I got to work 8AM about 2 weeks back and there was ice on the top half of my jacket and all over the visor.