PDA

View Full Version : My Gixxer streetfighter build

03gixxerpilot
12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/693772164112479.JPG

this arrived this afternoon ( thanks to chopaweeza )

this is the base of the streetfighter that i have been planing, the other chassis has been put aside and the single sided swing arm will be transfered over to the new chassis, after that has been done the subframe will be coming off to make way for the new shorty subframe with moded tail unit, these things i have and shouldnot take to long to achieve, the next thing to be done is to source a front end for it, at the moment i'm looking at an 03 onwards gixxer thou setup, as i have already fitted one to my 11. i will post pics as things get done.

Cheers Clive

shift1313
14-05-2007, 10:17 AM
very cool, whats the single sider off again?

03gixxerpilot
15-05-2007, 01:59 PM
single sider is off an 95 vfr 750

I have got everything moved into my new workshop, i still have to set every thing up which will be done this weekend and thin i will be able to make some progress on the build.

Foxy
15-05-2007, 03:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

single sider is off an 95 vfr 750

I have got everything moved into my new workshop, i still have to set every thing up which will be done this weekend and thin i will be able to make some progress on the build.
Can you give us some details on how you mount the swingarm, ie spacers required, and how you plan on tackling the top mount for the shock, are you using the standard vfr linkages?

I have the same swingarm which is itching to get mounted into the frame, but I also have a new house in need of some reno's so trying to eliminate some of the trial and error.

03gixxerpilot
18-05-2007, 12:47 PM
yer Foxy can do, yes i am using the orignal vfr linkages, the top shock mount is going to be custom made, the whole idea of using the 88/89 gsxr 750 chassis is that they have a bolt on top shock mount so are eazy to adapt to what ever you need, also they have a wide bottom dog link mount which alows a good amount of flexability in alingment to allow for the off set of the shock absorber ( this also applys to other swingarm modifications) as i go there will be an detailed step by step how to including drawings of the spacers and other things that need to be done, with the exception of the motor build, which will be showen but not in the same detail.

I will be starting work on the swing arm instalition next week and will post up the progress as i go along.

scotty mac
18-05-2007, 01:16 PM
its going to look sweet. what sort of shorty tail you using?

03gixxerpilot
19-05-2007, 01:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty mac

its going to look sweet. what sort of shorty tail you using?

thats a secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a moded late model gixxer unit.

shift1313
20-05-2007, 09:14 AM
the top shock mount is bolt on? i need to pay more attention:)

03gixxerpilot
20-05-2007, 05:47 PM
yer mate it makes mounting a new shock into the chassis a breeze

20-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Let me know if ya need advice;)I done this B4[8D]

03gixxerpilot
20-05-2007, 06:22 PM
thanks mundy got it ALL figured out, did most of the work in the slabie chassis, and with some info from other members of this and other forums have got every thing measured up and worked out. i have to move the rest of my things into the unit/workshop this week and get a few jobs out of the road, but should bo on the move to get the last of the machine work done next week and assembly done as well.
thanks for the though anyway and if i run into any probs ill be sure to give you a buzz ;)

03gixxerpilot
04-06-2007, 09:34 PM
ok the latest in the progress of the build................................

the swingarm is now in place and correctly alingned, we have decided on what we are going to use for the dogbone setup, and i will be getting it as soon as i get payed this week, the next thing to look at is the shock absorber, and am planing to use an kawasaki zx6r unit as i have been lead to beleave that these will be the best ones to use, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..................... ... if any body can let me know how long ( form eye to eye ) one is i would be most aprectiave

i have photos and diagrams of every thing that has been done so far but havent had time to orgnise them into any semblance of order to put up here yet. as soon as i have done this i will post them up.

crazymofo
04-06-2007, 10:27 PM
i'll get a eye to eye measurement of an 04 6r rear shock to ya tomorrow if you like.

cheers.joe.

Foxy
05-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Have you thought about using an R6 shock at all? I know thats what Ben used in one of his Gixxer builds.

03gixxerpilot
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
crazy that would be awsome, i am open to which shock i will use but it has to short ot be able to fit into the chassis without it taking up to uch room or looking out of place.

foxy as explained above i have thought of it and if anyone has any other sugestions as which shock to use i would love to hear form you, i would also like to know what the length is from eye to eye with these shockies

i am looking for something that will suit the 1100 weight but the length needs to be as short as possible ( less than 300mm if possible )

03gixxerpilot
06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/69200148140504.JPG
a pic of the new lower linkage

03gixxerpilot
06-06-2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/69200148157083.JPG

and another from the top

03gixxerpilot
06-06-2007, 06:29 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/69200148186881.JPG

pic of the swingarm in the chassis befor i fitted the lower linkage, i will get some more pics of the current state of progress tomorrow and post them up as soon as possible, meanwhile......................................... ..........
keep the info on those shock absorbers coming

Cheers Clive

crazymofo
07-06-2007, 06:32 PM
sorry clive, havent had a chance to take the measurement for you mate, ive been meaning to pull the shock from the bike all week, but been working 4am-6pm most days. i've got a half day tomorrow, will get dimensions tomorrow, and will also get you dimensions of a 99-02 R1 rear shock too if you want it, as i have one here too (putting into the SV)

cheers.joe.

07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
:)Clive:Dplease take note;)I have all the info that you may require allthough it could be a process of experience;)
Let me say that 1 dogbone is noway enough[8)]View your piccie of the topview,to the left,add a doggie[8D]it lines up;)now the bits that are there now,rotate 180% to move it rightward:Dlooks to my mad eye`s that it shood just flow[:p]
Mount your shock as far forward as possible so you have a spinal chord after 5min`s of riding[8D]
Mate:)i`m not trying to preach(non religush)but bending ya bike cost`s
(dont use"staino")tensile bolt`s in that area[8D]:D

Deano
07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
deminsions on nearly every popular shock can be found on the below link

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/perversepolisher/components/shock-length/index.htm

g-style
08-06-2007, 02:42 AM
That's lookin' awesome so far!! Keep postin'

03gixxerpilot
08-06-2007, 05:21 PM
joe yes that would be kool if you could do that for me,

mundy,i'll take what you have to say into consideration, stevo and i both have a welth of experience in several diffrent types of racing and in building race vechiles, not to mention experience in heavy industry as fitters, amoungst other things i'm not disputing your info or opnion. This bike will be fully registered and as such will be fully engineered, and compliant, so if the engineer sayes i need to change it i will do so but for the time being i'll stick to what i got.

deano that link is full of great info and very helpfull, i'll be sure to keep it in mind for any future info needed.

g-style thanks for the encouragement, progress will be posted as it is made, i a quick look at you bike on another thread and that is a nice piece of work, i love the custom tail unit that is well done.

crazymofo
08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
clive... 03-05 zx6r shock is 340mm eye to eye.
99-02 r1 rear shock is 300mm eye to eye

both have approx 78mm dia spring. the zx6 shock has a top mounted resiviour,so allow aboout 50mm above the top shock mount bolt. while the r1 has a piggyback mounted one, allow 50mm behind the shock.

cheers.joe.

03gixxerpilot
08-06-2007, 05:25 PM
joe thanks very much for that, the info is very helpfull. looks like the R1 unit is going to be very close to what i need for the job

Cheers Clive

08-06-2007, 05:52 PM
No worry`s;)I`ll leave ya`s to it then[^]

03gixxerpilot
08-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I'll be sure to give you a yell if i need to know anything.

cheers Clive

03gixxerpilot
16-06-2007, 07:42 AM
got a zx6rr olins shock last night to try in the fighter project but unfortunatly it is too long, so after consulting the refrence kindly put up by deano it looks like i'm now looking for a cbr900rr rear shock to fit, i'll have to confirm that they are as short as they say they are and find out where the resevoirs are on them, i'll keep you posted on any info and any progress made.

03gixxerpilot
14-09-2007, 03:38 PM
latest update, i have now got a CBR600 shock for the project, same length as the CBR900 that i was looking at, it has all the usual adjustments ( dampening, rebound, and preload ). It looks the part sitting in the suspention and now allows me to make up a top shocky mount. i will get the material next week and start work on it ( if i get any spare time )i am looking at making it adjustable from the top as well although this might not happen depending on time and inclination.

Pics to follow as soon as i get it all done.

Watto
14-09-2007, 04:00 PM
gday clive

be interested to hear how the top shock mount turns out as have been thinkin about something similar but not got the technical knowhow

03gixxerpilot
14-09-2007, 04:06 PM
yer no probs, i will put up pics of the finished product, if you like i can keep all the drawings and make on for you as well if you like what you see ;)

Watto
14-09-2007, 04:28 PM
awesome mate - will keep in touch

Foxy
14-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Stupid question, but what is the difference between the CBR600 shock and the VFR750 shock?

Deano's link doesn't work anymore which is a bitch.

I wouldn't mind a copy of the drawings too mate

03gixxerpilot
14-09-2007, 08:35 PM
the difrence is about 60mm in length the VFR unit being the longer of the two. to keep the size of the bracket to a resonable size i need to keep the shocky as short as posible. the length of the CBR600 is from memory 285mm from eye to eye were as the VFR unit is about 320mm.

Foxy
14-09-2007, 09:21 PM
cool I will keep that in mind, when i lined it up it did look a tad too long

03gixxerpilot
14-09-2007, 09:34 PM
a CBR 900 2000 model will also fit i am lead to believe, not sure, if you check the link earley in the thread you will be able to see which one it is.

latheboy
15-09-2007, 09:26 AM
I got myself a CBR 954 03/04 shock for mine .. its pretty ... eye to eye is 286mm and its the shortest one i could find .. I did want a shock that was 250/260 but no luck on that front ..
Ummmm why do you want the top shock mount to be adjustable when you've got an adj. dog bone .. maybe a dumb question but you get that .. I have just finnished my top shock mount and would love to see how you went about it .. Pic's

03gixxerpilot
15-09-2007, 02:45 PM
better adjustability, with the rising rate setup, that way we can adjust the rising rate.

03gixxerpilot
08-10-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/4479211962328.JPG

number 1 pic

03gixxerpilot
08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/4479211986475.JPG

Ok made a bit more progress, well actually just trying something out to see how it looks, so this is what i have come up with, an 05 gsxr rear tail on the fighter project, i still intend to cut it down to a "shorty" tail but though i would run this passed the forum to see what you think of it.

latheboy
08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Looks good but I reckon you need a bit more angle and the top bits of RHS on the subframe will be too wide for that seat ,you may need to build a whole new subframe or at least cut her up....
If your gonna run 2 wheels at the front you should at least have the rubber side down;)

03gixxerpilot
08-10-2007, 01:08 PM
yer as i said i am going to cut the seat down to a single "shorty" seat, this is only a mock up for my other gixxer ('90) i agree with you that it needs more angle on it, but hadent noticed the top brace untill you pointed it out, thanks, i will consider how to get around that problem

i hadent actually thought of running two front wheels.....................but now that you mention it............................NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL however if i did i would cetrianly take on board your advice about having the rubber side down ;)

03gixxerpilot
06-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Well i was in the workshop tonight and waiting for filler on a paint job that i am doing to dry so i thought "i wounder it the fireblade 929 USD front end will fit in the 88gixxer chassis" so i removed it for the VTR and put it into the gixxer, and with the exception of the steering stops (these will have to be removed and new one made) it will bolt up with no other mods, Pics tomorrow.

FIGHTERMC
07-11-2007, 02:16 AM
03gixxer i have this tail on my blade
just have to collect the bike at my mates house
next week and i'll post up a pic of it so you can see
what it looks like with a shorter seat.

DaveK5
07-11-2007, 07:30 AM
quote:fireblade 929 USD front end will fit in the 88gixxer chassis" so i removed it for the VTR and put it into the gixxer, and with the exception of the steering stops (these will have to be removed and new one made) it will bolt up with no other mods,

Get faarrked...I'll drop around this I gotta see.

Slain
07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
yeah updates please, if its a straight fit thats what i will run on my gixxer project

Gix11
07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Definitely want to see this one!

gixxer
08-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Looks great- most fighter in germany are build of gsxr.It s a easy base because most parts are plug i. play. We have some experts for this base who can answer the most tech.quest.
Best link in germany- must look for technik
http://www.sellifighter.com/index1.htm

03gixxerpilot
08-11-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/264494008191857.JPG

ok here is the pics of it in place, its not quite a direct bolt in fit ( what ever is ) but its not far from it, the stearing stops have to be removed and a new one made to fit ( i haven't done this yet ) but the head steem dosent have to be changed, no spaceres or bushes have to be made and the bearings are the same bearings. More pics are availbale if you require them just let me know what part of the front end you want a closer look at :-)

03gixxerpilot
08-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Ok little dash bolted to the riseres will go, and depending on what i feel like doing i might keep the pullback riseres or ditch them infavor of straight ones, ( this will mean that i wont be able to push the fork tubes up through the triple clamp ) however we will see when we get a bit further, but first things first i will need to finish the shocky mount for the rear suspention first. :D

fimpBIKES
08-11-2007, 12:00 PM
nice, i had to wind in my adjusters to fit my current set-up on
its not ideal and im changing it now

still, that front turned up very nicely!

chopaweeza
08-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Go Hard Clive. I'm building a rigid Bobber with an XR600 for a customer at the moment and will do some more work on the Santee GSXR when I can.

Go Hard Mate

Stocky
09-11-2007, 06:17 AM
What's with the Kart wheels ?

I'm guessing a national class kart by the axle size LOL

03gixxerpilot
12-11-2007, 01:54 PM
chopper that build sounds intresting i wouldn't mind seeing it when it finished,

stocky they were for a cark that i was going to by but they were there and the correct hight for what i wanted so i used them.

chopaweeza
12-11-2007, 06:25 PM
It is mate and it's good to see what you're doing with the leftover bit from the 07' BBO bike. Here's a link to the XR http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1961

03gixxerpilot
12-11-2007, 11:22 PM
thanks i will have a look

03gixxerpilot
04-03-2008, 12:09 AM
ok been slack over the last few months, other things to do and finish, but that is another story,

updates/progress/new ideas

finialy decided on a motor combo set up for the build, i have done a lot of research and decided to build a big block 750 motor for it, which will end up being 849cc and i will be doing this with off the shelf parts (even if they are not all suzuki) got here http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=9287&FORUM_ID=5 to see the progress on this build.

next i have gotten around to shorting a tail unit for the bike, ok well half of a scratch up one and am now happy with where i am going with it so its time to get the good tail unit out and start measuring it up for the cut and shut.

With the sale of my 929usd front end i now have to find a new front end to fit to the bike, but i sold the ole one with this in mind so the money from that will help finance the new front end, which will be a late model cbr1000 or R1 USD with radial calipers but i am will to bide my time with this.

The next thing that i have done which shows no actual progress with the build but actually moves it froward leaps and bounds is talk with and automative engineer, who will be certifing the bike when it is built, so i now have approval for the single sided swinger, the USD forks, and so long as i get the welding done by a certified welder the subframe mounts and subframe as well. so in principle i have approvall for all the mods so far done/planed
Thats half the battle over with

scrotary
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
awsome, great to see the step by step process thanks for going to the trouble, am undecided on whether to put a single sided swing arm on mine or a late model suzuki one.
Are the single sided ones hard to get?

03gixxerpilot
04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
it all depends on what you want and what you are going to fit it to, the honda VFR750 SSSA are the easist to fit into the oil cooled gixxers, but it is not as easy as it sounds and some models are easer to fit them to than others. i am using a 96 model swing arm how ever i have now discovered that if i had used an early model (not sure how much earler) the suspention set up would have been much easer to do, but one lives and learns. i have also decided to change the 750 wheel for an 800 wheel (i can get a front to match much easer this way) but that in its self is not a bolt on conversion either.

What are you thinking of putting one into

scrotary
05-03-2008, 02:52 PM
have an '87 750 frame, has a '92swing arm fitted at the moment. wanted to swap it out for an 02 gsxr 1000 one, mate suggested i look for a vfr single cause that would be the same amount of trouble to fit. hhhmmm decisions decisions

03gixxerpilot
05-03-2008, 05:18 PM
not tyring to put you off doing the SSSA and not having tryed to put an 02 gixxer1000 swinger in a 87 750 frame (although i have sat one in there just to consider it) i have tryed to put a SSSA into the 87 chassis, and i would say that the gixxer one wold be much easer to do (although not saying that it would be easy) the main hassel with the VFR SSSA is that it runs and offset shocky and you will most likly not be able to mount a shocky into the chassis without modifying the chassis somwhat,where as the gixxer swinger has a centraly mounted shocker and would proberly not need as much mods to make it fit.
The other problem with the VFR SSSA is that there is a large diffrence between the center line of the wheel and the centerline of the sprocket, so to get the both to line up is of mucking about (there are diffrent solutions to this problem if you need help with it just give me an email and i will let you know which one i have used, and this has been an automotive engineer)
I dont know what an diffrence there is on the gixxer swinger.
keep us informed on what you decide and how you go.

03gixxerpilot
28-07-2008, 10:21 PM
ok been a long time since i have done anything to the bike, but in the last week i have almost got the top shocky mount done, it should be done by the end of the week and i will be posting pics as soon as i get the bits back form the welders, once it is bolted into place the swingarm conversion sould be compleat and ready for final inspection by the engineer

Tone
29-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Cool stuff Clive,what's the progress on the big bore?
Haven't seen any news on it for a while or have I missed some installments [B)]

03gixxerpilot
29-07-2008, 11:24 AM
no you havent missed any installments, havent done anything with it lately,will be soon thought, but in th mean time i will progress with chassis.

03gixxerpilot
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
FUCK YER AT LONG LAST......................................

Yes at long last i have finished the top shocky mount and installed it, which means that the rear suspension is in and compleat, all that remains is to get the engineer to do the final inspection to get it approved.

Pics will follow tomorrow IF i can get a camera to take some pics.

Fight_fan
06-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Sweet! Look forward to seeing how it looks Clive! Nice work mate!

03gixxerpilot
06-08-2008, 07:02 PM
no camera today but should have one tomorrow

latheboy
06-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Pics.... show us now foolplease:D

03gixxerpilot
06-08-2008, 07:56 PM
OK OK OK, Tomorrow i will definatly get pics of it.It has take a while to get it this far but the whole idea was to have it fully compliant which meant not modifications to the chassis at all, so this is a bolt in kit.

03gixxerpilot
07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Ok i have photos but i will have to resize them and i have to be work in half an hour so no time now, but will do it when i get home tonight so tomorrow morning they will be up for all to see.

slickncghia
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
tease

03gixxerpilot
08-08-2008, 02:38 AM
:D Yup am so....;)

Ok so here is the finished ( appart form polishing/painting ) product
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/282025504155384.JPG

03gixxerpilot
08-08-2008, 02:43 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/28202550417843.jpg

plus i also have the front end that i wanted for the fighter as well 06 R1

At last starting to make some progress on it:D

Chase
08-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Bita nice work there!

latheboy
08-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Good job... I thought you were going to make the top mount adjustable? Is that the 750 swinger? What did you do for the dog bone?

03gixxerpilot
08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
yer i was going to make the top adjustable, but i have used rose joints ( male and female ) from which i can adjust the ride high if nessasare, this dosenot mean that i will not make an adjustable top mount in the future :D. Simple first then refine what i have once i am happy that it is working the way it should

Fight_fan
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Onya Clive! Good job!

03gixxerpilot
08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
thanks,

soon i will have the new front end to put in, and this won't take long at all, the biggist thing with the front end been finished is finding a 5 spoke front wheel that will match the rear

03gixxerpilot
24-09-2008, 03:58 PM
progress has holted on this for a bit, while i get the motor built for it, as we all know a full rebuild costs and i aint made of money, so this is on hold till the motor is done, then its back one again.

scotty mac
24-09-2008, 04:20 PM
lookin foward to seeing this build. its gunna be wicked.

03gixxerpilot
24-09-2008, 04:26 PM
follow this link to the engine build
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9287

03gixxerpilot
05-02-2010, 10:42 AM
OK after a long time (and kid) i am now able to start making progress on the project again.

i recieved some fucken awsome bits of aluminum from Ben this morning, i am really impressed with the work he has done, thanks Ben the triples are above and beyond my expectations.

I will put up some photos of them as soon as i get a camera to take some photos of the triples.

Cheers Clive

03gixxerpilot
05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
i also have two five spoke front wheels to try out in the front, see which fits the best and match's closest

as i said above photos as soon as i get a camera.

Cheer Clive

BANDITROD
05-02-2010, 04:24 PM
awsome news mate i have been waiting for this for a while

03gixxerpilot
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1267649530.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1267670654.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1267652137.jpg

photos of the tripples ready to go into the chassis, just need top bearing, which i will be ordering tomorrow

dingo
03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
very nice :) i like them

Watto
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
they look sweet Clive - very nice :D