PDA

View Full Version : RG750"Triple" ?

Tony Nitrous
23-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Odd but interesting.

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/2577/rg7500pa.jpg

Quote..."heres aweapon when finished !! 750 water bottle motor fitted to aRG500 frame motor has been nicely fitted 3-1 exhaust has been running wiring needs to be tidied up would make a excellent club/track day bike or very interesting road bike ph robin 041 872 0224"
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/rg750gt-suzuki-waterbottle_W0QQitemZ4624779914QQcategoryZ102687QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Razorback
23-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah I noticed that the other day... It makes a strange kind of sense..

24-03-2006, 11:43 AM
The 500 motor would be more powerful than the old waterbottle donk, plus lighter/more compact.

The GT750's need a lot of work to get serious performance out of them

thatp1g
24-07-2006, 11:29 AM
this is a fair old bump, but i couldnt leave it alone.

I have built both those bikes up in the past and i see some big issues here.

The beauty of the rg was it's weight. With a little tinkering I got mine to 130kilos dripping wet. After stoppy-ing it into the side of a car i got serious about building it. The motor itself weighs only 60 kilos and to me seems a much wiser and cheaper choice for serious road friendly horses. If you write to suzuki you can get the specs for bazza sheenes 79 gp bike from which the rg motor was born. about 1500 sheckles will get the ports tidyied up, the disk valves re-shaped to get better flow and timing, a little more compression and the biggest trick, rip the dodgy restrictor rubber out of the top of the original airbox. bike will then rev clean to 1200 grand and put out around 120-130 back wheel horses, (up from standard 84) At those revs though it burns up ignition coils so you have to source some rgb ignition coils from england. To take it to the full 150 hp you need to grab better pipes, and rgb carbs. Gets a little unrideable after 120hp though.
Obviously that 110 section rear is a huge issue, easily solved though. A 140 section fzr400 wheel fits straight in with just some 2 and 5 ml spacers needed to line up brakes and drive. Front is fine and brakes are not a problem. With these little moddies done I could pull off 1.04's at lakeside with a change to 6th right at the tower at 245k's and 6th starts pulling instead of winding out. A little bit of sprokety messing around is required to tune the gear/band relationship (2 and 3 were too widely spaced in the original box) the box is a cassette type arrangement for quick race set up and you can swap gears fairly easily, no case splitting or that sort of shizzle.
Cost 4500 all up and I ended up with a 130kilo, 120hp bike that i got to 265 before opening the chicken shute cause the old aerodynamics and suspension meant I was getting sucked up off the bike and the wheels were 'pattering' at that speed.

The waterbottle motors are best left alone. When an old bottle i had developed electrical problems I ripped the motor out to put in sidecar dirtrack outfit. Up the compression, port a bit, and bore to 1000 cc and viola, 100 hp. Still a dissapointing figure but a fair torquey bitch for a stroker. Not enough berries for the track tho, so we methanol'd it and re-jetted, upped compression, (deck the head and weld ridges in the squish, and reed valves. Took it to 150 hp but at this spec the throttle was a switch, on or off. Solid motor tho, no big end trouble with that sort of neddies only prob seemed to be when it caught fire and you couldn't see the flame creeping up your jeans. Mods cost around 3000 back in 1986 so your looking at a lot of dosh. Motor weighed around 80kilos so extra weight and in the end a lot of headaches.

Fightering a rg is a wicked idea but i'd leave the waterbottle motor out of the equation.

Long winded but just couldnt leave it alone, some poor bugger could have wasted a lot of money. Especially when you consider you could pick up a seized rg for around 1500 bucks then spend the 4000 grand on mods.

Gix11
24-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Did you ever see this one in our Suzuki gallery that was sent in? :

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/images/gallery/suz/french_rg500/500RGC1.jpg

Oh, and welcome aboard thatp1g.