PDA

View Full Version : USD fork repair questions

Razorback
30-01-2006, 02:40 PM
How hard is it.... and how much would it cost (roughly) to straighten a VERY lightly bent set of USD forks. The axle is still aligned is just had a knock to the fork leg that is hardly noticeable.

Im really keen to put a front end like this on the bandit and this one is all complete, Im just dubious since I havnt ever had to repair a set of forks.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/75077039816479.jpg

devo
30-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Rasorback,
Where besides Afghanistan do you reside, The best person in the
business to straighten your forks will be Laurie or Dave Alderton in
Long St Smithfield, NSW.
They are hardly expensive and like I said the best in the business.
Your other alternative is just replace the tubes my good mate from
PPMP in Qld sells them they are a Bitubo product (Italian) for a price
give him a buzz on 1800 823 818 he will do his best to accomadate you.
Dave (Devo)

Tone
30-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Saw them and wondered the same thing Razor...thought they only shipped to the USA though!

Razorback
31-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Im in Mildura m8

I dont think there is anyone in Mildura that does it, so I will take your advice on the NSW guys. They look very repairable from the picture. Id just hate to get them and find out they arnt. Thanks for the advice anyways.

Tone it says they will ship worldwide... so keep an eye on em if your keen. Im just in two minds about whether to save up the $800 or so for a fresh set or take a chance on these... decisions

Deano
31-01-2006, 11:37 AM
inners $110 per leg outers $140 per leg

TurboKat
31-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Be very careful when buying bent USDs Razor, from experience, inners are easy & cheap to straighten but with outers it's not possible to straighten them if they are too far bent & you'd be surprised how little too far actually is.
I took a set of 95 GSXR legs to Bob Martins (the GURU of frame & front end work in Aus) recently, & they were telling me that in 80% of cases of even mildly bent USDs, the outers are throw aways, that was the case with the set that I took there & I thought they were bent so little they'd be a piece of piss to straighten.

Razorback
01-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks TK, Im really sceptical, because generally I prefer to just save up and buy new bits... These are going as you seem for $200 so Im thinking that even with 1 side fully replaced its still 1/2 the price of new...

decisions... decisions...

Deano
01-02-2006, 11:35 AM
the later model forks are alot thinner thereforearen't as easy to straighten

i got a set of 94 750 USD fork straightened by BME and not worries. Outer left was bent 1.5mm inner left bent 1.8mm outer right was fine inner right bint .5mm.

they told me that they can straighten just about anything that dosn;t have a kink in it.

i have seen a pair of RWU fork come back from them straight as a die and they looked like bananas before they got there hands on it

Razorback
03-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks Deano... I actually have decided to leave the USD's for now. Im gonna hold out for a complete front end with wheel, brakes, etc. Just got enough on my plate getting this thing back in one piece as it is without adding a whole nother level of complxity... Appreciate the responses guys I have learned a bit that will help me later in the year when I finally do it. Cheers...