PDA

View Full Version : 03gixxerpilot's '90 gixxer 11 big bore

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm going to be building an 1371cc (big bore) gixxer11 motor and will be posting up the progress as we go along, we are aiming for 200 RWHP on a dyno that is very pesimistic (stevo and i got our work cut out for us) we plan to do this with normal aspriation.

this is a list of what we got so far

'90 gixxer motor

half a dozen various 1100 and 750 heads ( one of which is an ex roadracing side car producing 176RWHP ( i think it was aroun there)

complete pickups, sensors, wiring, computer, throttel bodies etc of an 02 gixxer motor

powercommander IIIr

we are looking at which big bore kit to go to ( going to the gorilla block etc ) and changing the gixxer throttle bodies to the larger Bussa throttle bodies.

So thats it for the moment keep you updated as things happen.

Gix11
16-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Clive, take progress shots, keep a log and then send me all the shit. This would be great for the "HOW TO" section.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Gix am on my way to the w/shop to do just that this afternoon, going to put up what i got so far with a bit of a mud map of where we plan to go ( subject to change with out notice of course )with the motor. I've also got pics of the begginings of the bike its going to go in as well, ie 88 gixxer with VFR750 single sided swing arm usd's etc, if you want we can do the same for the single sided swing arm conversion, all we got left to do to it is align the shock and linkages and fabricate and weld the new mounts for the linkages.

Gix11
16-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Yea mate, that would also be good. Send that along as well. I was thinking of doing the single sider conversion on mine one day so I'd be really keen to see it anyway.

Deano
16-01-2006, 03:50 PM
This sounds pretty good to me intrested to see the progress, keep us posted with lots of photos

ozkat
16-01-2006, 05:39 PM
My 1340 that got stolen had 178rwhp on a dyno. was very streetable except on really hot days or extended time in traffic. and that was with 36mm carbs (nowhere near standard tho). it had an APE block 12.5:1 forged pistons, extensive headwork done by Balls in Melb, shot peened watercooled rods, the cams actually wernt that radical which helped lots on the street.I had 40mm flatslides but made it a real pain in the arse to ride. so i swapped back to the 36mm CVs although im 100% sure it made more power with the flatslides. This engine owed me approx 10k and worth every cent. I hope the pricks that stole it died by wrapping it around a pole.

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Sounds Fucking Awesome Mate. I love build up articles. Then, later in the year when you've finished, I'll build a long & low chopper frame for you to put it in.......Hehehehe........

stevo
16-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Clive just did a deal for Ozcats turbo ....

sooooooooooo it looks like we'll be buildin a straightliner to have some fun on :D

now how much can we screw out of a big bore with a turbo with stupid amounts of boost??????? and maybe some laughin gas to spool it up quicker ;)

used ta build engines for the Nitrous Express importer ..... should be somethin in the dark recessess of my alcohol frazzled brain that I can use..

mind you that will be a ways down the project path .... we've got no shortage of other work in front of the "toys"

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 08:31 PM
ozcat who did you get the APE block from and how much was it.

ozkat
16-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I bought it direct from APE in the US i think i still have reciepts here but im sure it was around $3500 au delivered inc pistons and rings and gaskets. ill find out for sure tho. was about 3 years ago tho.

ozkat
16-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Clive you have pm.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:00 PM
oz you have mail

choppa you are an evil man, stop putting ideas in my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 09:09 PM
As it says on the shirt mate "Satan is my Bitch" . Something to think over eh mate?

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:14 PM
LOL its not as if i don't have enough to think about as it is, but still............................................. .......
gota do something.

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Give into the Chopside . Just take up that angle grinder and strike down that stock frame. In the name of DodgywanBenKenRyobi i command you. You know you want to.........

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:29 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!! post me some photos / links to what you thinking of building.......................................... ..............
MASTER

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 09:34 PM
I'll scan a couple of bikes that may just tweek your nipples. Will pin them tomorrow arvo if I get a chance.There's one of a stretched Hardley Softtail style frame with a Gixxer in it and another of a road legal drag bike. Just a thought. Or Is It.........

stevo
16-01-2006, 09:37 PM
road legal drag would be interesting..... maybe somethin along Kosman lines....

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I realy "DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF THE ROAD LEGAL DRAG BIKE" ;)

stevo
16-01-2006, 09:41 PM
ahh ya skirt ....

ya wont be ridin it much anyway ... it'll be trailered ....

sides we're gonna need something ta get the power to the track....

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Well, my Gixxer will be about 2 foot longer than stock. The Z750 rigid I built was 3 foot longer than stock. The CB250 rigid I really will have to finish sometime soon is only about 16 inches longer than stock(but half the ground clearance). I like long bikes I do.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:48 PM
;) thats what i was getting at LOL

stevo
16-01-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't ... I like the twisties ....

so I prefer shorter bikes..

even my sporty is cafe'd

although I'd like to do a big block sporty pro streeter

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 09:50 PM
You may not realise but Shaun of Creation customs is moving to Brissy in a few months. Check his work- www.creationcustoms.co.uk

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:50 PM
if we going to get quick times down the 1/4 ..............................................

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Yep was having a chat to him about diffrences is requirements in rego rules

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 09:54 PM
I like Kosmans work.Great style and great reputation. I apparently will be drag racing mine later in the year. Apparently I have a pit crew already. Fat Tony & Riga organised it and my job is just to build & pilot it. I love long bikes.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 09:57 PM
love the way you "volentered" to build and pilot it.

I am very intrested in the road legal dragbike what was the power plant and what times was it getting.

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 10:04 PM
It was built for Nik from Streetfighters magazine when he worked for BSH. Was street legal at the time in the UK but would never pass here. I've seen it done here with a legal Triumph drag bike. It was raw engineering, mean and drew a big crowd at the run I was on. The owner had made the riding position easier to live with & added a 5 litre petrol tank but otherwise everything that made it road legal could unbolt in 30 minutes so he could ride it to the track, race and ride it home. It takes a big set of balls to do something like that

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 10:07 PM
nice :)

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 10:16 PM
As a young rider at the time it left a lasting impression on me. My bike will not handle as well as a stock bike but then I didn't design it to. I like the style of drag style road bikes and let that influence my design ideas. In 10 years time my taste might be different but for now it's here.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 10:22 PM
a drag bike might not handel corners or general riding.....................
but then it wasent designed to so dose it handel or not??????????????????????????????????????
Just a question MASTER

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 10:38 PM
There's different levels of handling. I've ridden long bikes before. Wide handlebars are preferred for extra stability, steering dampers and good rear frame geometry as well are all essential. Also, if something doesn't work then hack the shit out of it and try something a little less stretched.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 10:56 PM
was thinking of doing an early gixxer frame with stretched swingarm, fat rear tyre, raked front low, ie pomie straight liner style, good for drag racing and retains its original looks somewhat??????????????????????

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Not a bad idea. The downside is the chain whip from the overlength piece needed and instabilities from having a long swingarm . Every design has it's downside though and these can be modified or worked around. Sounds good though and with some creative Tig Welding could work well. I don't mind the straightliners either.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 11:17 PM
i wasn't going to go overboard, prob about 10" over on the swinger with a brace (not the long adjusters but a longer swing arm)
and just enough rake to help keep stable, and of course it will be lowered to the approiate height. The bike still has to be able to fit on a dyno as that is what it is about HP shootouts, and the best place to use that HP is on the little black strip of bitchuman :) :) ;)

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 11:20 PM
About an extra 8 degrees of rake would sit it down perfect. Fuck yeh

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 11:42 PM
so it starts to take shape..........................

chopaweeza
16-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I reckon. After 32 frame designs were I kept trying to balance form & function and I got the successful basis for the design I'm following now. I only got the design because I got shitfaced with a crowd of bikers and other people. People started talking about the contest and asking me questions . After alot of ideas were thrown around the table I was able to draw design 33 on the back of a soilled napkin and with a few small changes thats the one I stuck with. Sometimes it helps to get an outside opinion on these things

03gixxerpilot
17-01-2006, 12:06 AM
LOL alot of the best designs have been drawen on napkins, atm recipts, etc ;) i appricate any input into this project, and moreso enjoy discussing ideas, as you said it help to get an outside opinion and it give one a broder prospective on things.

chopaweeza
17-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, it did for me. i was trying to make the frame do too many things and it was driving me nuts. In all the drunken chaos I had a moment of clarity and the rest has sprung from there

stevo
17-01-2006, 10:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

Well, it did for me. i was trying to make the frame do too many things and it was driving me nuts. In all the drunken chaos I had a moment of clarity and the rest has sprung from there

that's sumthin that most people try and do .... fit too many ideas into one bike/car and end up a very busy finished product...

the more refined the idea is, the less extraneous shit it needs..

that's why I like lean, clean and black with nothin on there that doesn't do a job ...

chopaweeza
17-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Here's a picture of a one off Soft tail type with a GSXR1100 engine. Not a Hardley frame but a well engineered one off. Nik's dragbike picture I have is too large for the scanner so I'll have a look for the original article and try that.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/588584678183128.JPG

03gixxerpilot
17-01-2006, 02:21 PM
nice, i'll wait to see the other pic's i think. i'm leaning toward the straight liner style of things though

Gix11
17-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Send me the other picture Wayne and I'll resize it for ya.

Razorback
17-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a great project... cant wait to see the results.

chopaweeza
17-01-2006, 06:33 PM
The piccy is an A3 size in a book. I've got the series of articles covering the build up at home somewhere.

03gixxerpilot
17-01-2006, 06:38 PM
well take them off for a while and scan them then you can put them back on, too cover up the build up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Yep,

That yellow things a real hero bike! :)

chopaweeza
17-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Unlike the millions of Hardleys on the market it is in my opinion the best of both worlds. Those into Jap Chops out here previously did mostly XS650 or CB750 based bikes. The price on these has skyrocketed ,they are getting scarce and when found they usually need a full rebuild before being re-used. It's little wonder people are turning to modern bikes like the GSXR and CBR as a choice for donors for new custom bikes. Just something to think about

17-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Don't got a problem with the power plant, it's the styling, does it come with a free "rebel flag" bandana? :)

What's the wheel base on it? what's ground clearance like? And the rear doesn't look that big either?

chopaweeza
17-01-2006, 07:41 PM
To each his own Chalky. I tried to test ride an NSR I did work on the other evening and could not even come close to fitting. Not everyone likes to ride hunched over like a dog doing a shit. I don't have real knees anymore so that style with a great jap powerplant appeals to me. I'm sure that if the owner wanted the whole "rebel flag bandana" thing he would have Hardley Softcock rather than build what to me is a classic pisstake.

stevo
17-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I just got given an NSR 250 .... guy used ta race it but the motor seized so I'll get the motor goin and go and play...

As far as the yella and blue gixxer chop/custom ... each to their own ... at least it doesn't look the same as everyone elses...

TurboKat
17-01-2006, 08:31 PM
[br Those into Jap Chops out here previously did mostly XS650 or CB750 based bikes. The price on these has skyrocketed ,they are getting scarce and when found they usually need a full rebuild before being re-used.

Are the old school 750/4 hardtail/plunger framed chops really worth decent $$$$ [?]
I know of at least 2, maybe 4 of 'em collecting dust in mates garages.
This may be a good way to make some extra cash. :)
Would a decent one bring say, $5k

chopaweeza
17-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes TK , they are. One with an Engineers Cert goes for about $4-8K . A shabby one without an Engineers about $2-5K. If they have previous proof of registeration add 10-20% onto the price of a shabby. There are an aweful lot of variables but given some pictures I can give you a pretty good idea of the actual expected prices. Springer & Girder forks always add to the value, rigid frames are usually worth more than plungers and the condition of the motor is always a factor. If you advice with this just ask.

TurboKat
17-01-2006, 11:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-K1-Chopper-1973_W0QQitemZ4605795555QQcategoryZ102685QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

This is a pretty typical example I reckon, I'll be interested to see how much it sells for.

I used to lust over these things when I was a little kid, a bloke down the street had one with the big sissy bar & apehangers & I thought it was the coolest thing around.

chopaweeza
17-01-2006, 11:38 PM
When I was a kid a Panhead used to ride past the Kids Home evry evening. I used to see it everyday. To me it was freedom so it was no real shock when I grew up into a biker. As for the Honda-No Engineers and not running. I'd say about $3500 at a guess. Maybe higher

chopaweeza
18-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Here's some eye candy. Not to everyones taste but then what is anymore.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/chopaweeza/GSXR%20CHopper/Trump.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/chopaweeza/GSXR%20CHopper/Gix0002.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/chopaweeza/GSXR%20CHopper/Gix.jpg

Gix11
18-01-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm not mad on Choppers but that Triumph is well nice. Where's the guy that built that from? English?

03gixxerpilot
18-01-2006, 10:13 PM
triumph is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and so is the gixxer with the sss
that was/is one of the ways i was looking at doing the gixxer (ie the one wiht the sss)

03gixxerpilot
19-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Ok I've been a bit lazy and havent gotten aroun to getting any photos or info yet, but will do this comming week,
Need some info or help on finding any one who can supply me with a aftermarket big block for the 1100 to suit/take the 1371pistons. was just wondering if there are any suppliers in austraila. looking at something like a APE or big cc block.

ozkat
19-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Give Serco a ring in Brisbane. I know they do at least a 1340.

03gixxerpilot
19-01-2006, 08:58 PM
thanks mate, last time i checked they only did the 1340 pistons and no big bore barrels, but thats not to say that they dont do one now, i' give them a ring tomorrow.

Rich
19-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Go your hardest with putting shit on the ol' HD's, but my Roadie is a great ride. Not getting rid of it, never getting rid of it. Off to Tassie on it on Saturday, can't wait. If you see a bloke on the Calder Highway with his bike on cruise control and a shit eating grin that would be me.

Maybe I'm spoilt with two bikes, the Roadie for relaxing and the Busa for racing, the best of both worlds.

Cheers Rich

19-01-2006, 10:39 PM
go home you 6 fingered tasmanian,let me guess,your brother sold you to your sister on ebay.bloody inbred's.

Rich
19-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah but let me tell you davo, I was a damn good buy on ebay....

Cheers Rich

TurboKat
19-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I REALLY like that Trumpy Chop, real sweet flowing line all the way through with the engine the main focal point, TUFF.[^]
Is that a similar style to what you're doing with the Gixer Chop? or more like the bottom pic?

chopaweeza
20-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Middle one with a subframe similar to the bottom one, with the steering head area stretched, lowered and raked. I'll have some pictures shortly that will shine some light on that.

03gixxerpilot
20-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Nice, i like the sound of it already, realy like the frame of the one in the middle, sort of spondonish cant wait to see pics.

chopaweeza
20-01-2006, 09:01 PM
In my case the position of the forward engine mounts(on the sides of the cylinder) , the shortness of the motor and the height of the inject assembly dictated that section of the design. What the middle design does to be tricky I have to use just to keep the engine safely housed. I was going to build a perimeter frame with the right side removable and a brace cutting over the motor to mount the cylinder engine mounts on but it looked shit & would not have been as stable as the design chosen. I did stuff all today. I'm going through a complicated divorce with multiple properties and spent most of the day chasing crap over that instead. If I can stop breaking tools , get parts delivered when they are promised and can get my solicitors to do their job properly I might just finish this bike on time. Might.

03gixxerpilot
20-01-2006, 09:17 PM
ahhh the joys of trying to keep deadlines...........oviously been puting some thought into the frame and as usual coming up with version 2........3........ or how ever many times you can make an improvement. finished on time or not i still recon its going to be one hell of a bike when finished.

chopaweeza
20-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Don't really have a choice about trying to finish it on time. But , it will be done but being already 8 days behind only 20 days in it ain't good. My divorce & property settlement must take priority but if I can catch a few breaks I'll be good. Now, if Louie will just finish that headstock I can do the neck area of the frame at least.

03gixxerpilot
20-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Don't know if you have worked construction/shutdowns but you somehow seem to find a way to catch up to where you are sposed to be................ after all that is the ausie spirit ;)

03gixxerpilot
16-04-2006, 07:31 PM
have made some more progress on the fitting of the 02 fuel injection set up onto an oilburner motor

i am using a 86 motor that i'm putting together for a template for the 1100 that it will fo on later

so far i have worked out that i will be able to use the same plate for the ignition pickup off the early model ( the sensor will screw directly onto it ) how ever the trade of is that i will have to have a custom rotor machined to fit in there as the one of the 02 is to large in diameter to be able to modify to go in

the throttle bodies are of the correct spacing for the ports ALMOST. but because of the size of the throttle bodies, custom manifolds will have to be made and the small ( only 3-4 mm) diffrence in the spacing in the ports to the throttle bodies and be compincated for in the design of the manifold i have ye to decide if i am going to keep the air box or got a diffrent way ( custom air box or pod filters ) each with there own problems in getting the bike tuned properly

the indivdual coil pack for each spark plug will fit into the recess for the plugs very well and will only need a slightly modified dust seal on the top to keep it steady.

the thing i am working on at the moment is how to set up the cam angle sensor and where to put the pin ( or even how to make a set up that will suit ) and not deteriate the integrity of the cam shaft its self, i'll proberly have this worked out in a few days or so

gear position sensor is another thing i got to look at, to see if they work in the same way ie give the same volt readings of the same gears ( hopefully they will and i wont have to change or work out any thing for that side of things)

anyway that is where the update of the progress for the fitting of 02 fuel injection to an early gixxer motor is at, at the moment

Captaintoc
17-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Before you try that have you tried reversing the outside intakes i.e. swap 1 and 4 intakes it should then line up if I remember correctly from what I saw a while back.

Have Fun
Andrew

03gixxerpilot
17-04-2006, 02:53 PM
might work but the difrence in the diameters for the carb and inlet rubber wont let me do that, how ever i'll try that to see if it works, i might be able to buy some aftermarket ons to suit.

Tony Nitrous
17-04-2006, 03:14 PM

You may not realise but Shaun of Creation customs is moving to Brissy in a few months. Check his work- www.creationcustoms.co.uk

[:0]

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5797/ftw3lw.jpg

Isn't there some law against doing that to a Gixxer engine ?

;):D

Tony.J.

Large
17-04-2006, 04:08 PM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5128/lastone3bf.jpg (Lifted from OSS)

03gixxerpilot
18-04-2006, 03:43 PM
oi enough of that,the motor is going into an 87 1100 chassis with vfr single sided swing arm late model usd ( r6 one with 5 spoke wheel ) to match the vfr rear, a 90 model tank has been modified to fit i havent decided what i'm going to do with the front headlights yet

Deano
18-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Good to hear about the progress keep up the updates

03gixxerpilot
18-04-2006, 09:55 PM
i have a spare 750 head that i can play with and a spare set of cams, so this comming week ( if not befor ) i'll hopefully have figured out the cam angle sensor set up, the rocker box cover is off to the polishers tomorrow ( he has some good juce that takes th paint and oil off ) then back into the work shop for some drilling and welding.

i might also have a go at doing the rotor for the crank angle sensor tomorrow as i will be at the work shop that i help out at on ocasions an have access to a lathe as i have to make some spacers to fit a 02 swing arm into a 85 750 chassis

03gixxerpilot
01-12-2006, 07:01 AM
[|)]Ok i.ve gotten a few phone calls ( 2 ) about the progress of this project and it has been put to the side for a while due to work and ( i'll be honest )[B)][B)][B)] plain lazyness:(, how ever since the phone calls i have a new intrest:) in progressing further on the motor, so to tackel a few of the problems i have had;

1 intake manifold; It look like i'll have to get a custome set made up, so this weekend ( monday for me ) i'll sit down and make a set of drawings and hopefully get a machine shop to fabricate them for me ( remember this is for an 1371cc big bore and i have my doubts as to weather the 1000 throttle bodies are big enough) but if you intend to do the same for an 1100 or 750 a set of 750 or even a set of 600 throttle bodies might be a better bet, dont know if the sizes of them are drffrent.

2 MAP sensor,if i can use the original airbox with the thorttle bodies then i will look at fitting the MAP sensor into that, however if i can't use the orignal air box i'll have to think of another alternative.

3 cam angle sensor, this is possibly the most difficult problem to get around due to the lack of and area on the cam to locate the trigger, i'll have another look this weekend and see what i come up with, ( i have a couple of ideas but not sure how they are foing to work/or look )

I have a week of over christmass and hope to progress further on this and another project that i have on at the moment and will keep this post updated (:D please feel free to KICK MY ASS if i don't:D)

nelpd96
01-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Clive,
I am not too sure how the cam angel sensors work on these things but have you looked at maybe mounting it somewhere else? With the MAP sensor you will need to mount it downstream of the throttle bodies so when you make up the manifold just get them to put in small port in the bottom of each runner and then join them to run into the MAP sensor. I will have to give you a call and have a look at this beast.

Cheers
Paul

03gixxerpilot
01-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Paul your imput would be appricated, as would any one elses ideas, i have tryed many combinations and ideas, but there are ideas out there that i havent tryed or thought of yet, let me know.

Booster
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Paul is right the map sensor needs the combined signal from all cylinders or it does strange things at idle/part throttle, this sensor is only used by the ecu till 5% throttle then the tps takes over.
03 have you seen the original cam sensor pin ? (I can take a pic of one )it should be easy to replicate.I would probably drill and tap the cam to take a 6mm bolt and locktight in place then cut the head off leaving a pin of near oem size. could be done on the cam gear too as long as your getting one pulse/720 deg and its indexed correctly.
If going OEM computer system ends up being too complicated a Microtech LT4 is fairly easy to set up as fuel only and leave the ign system alone .

03gixxerpilot
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
booster i have consedered doing what you have said but am concerned about the integurity of the cam once it has been drilled.

Booster
01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
No room after the last lobe?? many cams have drilled oil supplies but i do understand your concern.

03gixxerpilot
02-12-2006, 06:05 AM
yer booster no room after last lobe, and with the amount of money going into this motor, the last thing i wnat is to have a failer due to a cam breaking ( i have had had this happen befor and that cam was not drilled although it was on an xl 600 ) I'm thinking of fitting an hall sensor set up of the end of the cam , but this is going to mean that i have to have it sticking out the side of the head ( not what i want )

has any one drilled into a cam to do this kind of thing befor

Booster
02-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Room to bolt something onto the end of the cam?so you can add the length you need, 10mm would probably do it.

03gixxerpilot
02-12-2006, 12:03 PM
yer but it is going to look ugly ( i think ) having something sticking out the side of the motor, i'm going to give Ivan Tigh a ring on monday and see if they can offer me any advice or soultion on the problem

Booster
02-12-2006, 01:11 PM
I was thinking other end , make the cam a little longer, pin in the extension like factory and put the sensor on top of the tappet cover or is this still too much visible?
Tighe or Kelford should be able to say how strong the cam would be if you drilled.
How agressive are the cams and how heavy the valve springs

03gixxerpilot
02-12-2006, 02:15 PM
booster there is no room between the end bearing and the side of the rocker box.

I have been over to stevos this arfternoon and discussed the problem with him and we have come up with a possible solution but i won't say any more on here untill we have sussed it out, if it works it will give us the best of both worlds no drilling the cams and pickup will be hidden out of sight ( away from the sides of the motor )

work on the manifolds will start on monday afternoon with a basic plan already in place.

pic of the manifolds as they develop and the finished products will be posted as we go.

02-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Could you place the Hall effect sensor (they're tiny these days) into a slot in the top of the rocker cover, and clamp the trigger to the cam shaft?

03gixxerpilot
02-12-2006, 05:49 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/14078687835634.JPG

this is the space that i have between the cam and the head :( in reality it is less than this as the cam protrudes slightly from the bearing and where the ruler is, is the wider part of the head as it tapers in closer towards the front. so in actual fact i have less than 5mm to fit anything inbetween the cam and head with out it protruding out. as i said, stevo and i have worked out another idea which will negate the need to drill cams and to fit anything on the end of the cam ( let us say that the triger will not be on the cam;))

02-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Damn that's tight, the old Geepz has much more spare room.

Are you running it off the sprocket? would improve the performance of the sensor. Am I being a nosy rude prick ?(as if I'm ever not) Justtell me to fuck off, everybody else does.

There's been a couple of slide down the road GSXR's offered to me cheap lately (The 89' K model ?, the one with the muscle bike look to it), and a full blown 11 does appeal, so I'm soaking up any info on them that's going.

I was considering 9/11ing the Geepz, but finding a 96' or so GPZ1100 motor is proving very difficult (although somebody at the Fool's run had one, wonder if he'd do a swap?)

03gixxerpilot
02-12-2006, 10:22 PM
yep looking at running it off the sprocket, just got to work out the timing and see if there are any problems with that, no your not a nosie rude prick.

nelpd96
04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Clive I will give you a buzz sometime this week and pop over for a look I am sure that we will be able to knock something up.

Cheers
Paul

03gixxerpilot
04-12-2006, 11:34 AM
kool i'm looking forwrd to it.

03gixxerpilot
04-12-2006, 07:13 PM
this afternoon i have made up the templates for the manifolds, tomorrow i willbe taking the templates along with some aluminum to an engineering shop to have them cut out for me.