PDA

View Full Version : NOS questions

Large
15-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here, and as a newbie...I've got questions!.

I was looking at a bike today that has a full wet nitrous system plumbed in, which I don't particularly need...but the seller doesn't particularly want to take off before sale. We've agreed on a price without the gas, but it looks well setup so I'm tempted[8D]

My questions are:

I've googled "NOS" but can't find the same setup to compare $$$ value. Does anyone know how much would a NOS system with fuel/NOS nozzles into each inlet and setup so that it only works with WOT and good fuel pressure, be worth?

Can I be done by the police for having the plumbing without a bottle hooked up in NSW?

Do I need a seat cowling behind me to stay on:D

Cheers

Rich

ozkat
15-01-2006, 04:39 PM
what bike is it fitted to?

Large
15-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Can't say, not mine yet, the owner might be lurking... and you're too close for comfort;)

I'll let you know more this week when it's safe in my garage.

Cheers

Rich

Tony Nitrous
15-01-2006, 05:13 PM
My 60bhp system was about £550 / $1400 in the UK.
Not 100% sure, but was told about the same out here.
Yes, you can find them cheaper, but I wanted a Holley/NOS
system, from a reputable shop, with the bigger 2.5lb bottle.

I still think the original NOS is the one to have.
Some are cheaper, some high bhp, big deal ! Beauty of NOS is
they are so common everyone has spare jets, foggers, solenoids,
everyone can fill your bottle without an adapter, and everyone
has years of experience with them.

Im not convinced about dry systems. Wet seem a safer bet, few more pipes, but the skys the limit on Bhp. Not the limit of standard fuel system. Only upgrade i would make to a wet system would be to run a pressure switch from the fuel soleniod to power the nos solenoid, No fuel = no NOS = No melted pistons.

Mine came in nice and smooth, possibley down to keeping the hoses between the 2 solenoids and the foggers quite long, sure i lost a couple of horses, but it was useable and a lot kinder on the clutch.

*Clutch's normaly first thing to go.
*Big power needs forged NOT cast pistons.
*Get some digital kitchen scales,
(weigh bottle, subtract empty bottle weight,
thats how much gas you have left)

I never bothered with bottle warmers etc, although I
was told to pull my 4 degree ignition advancer out.

There is no "black art" to Nitrous. Although there is
much to learn (Im keen but know little!:D) I have blown a few hoses off, they get brittle with age 'cos NOS is f*ckin cold, but most damage i ever did was fry a couple of clutch's untill i binned the standard crap bandit effort.

Nitrous, you gotta love it,
"Throttle in a bottle" [8D]

ozkat
15-01-2006, 05:15 PM
The only reason i ask is because i may be interested in buying the Nitrous system. Depending on price of course.

Tony Nitrous
15-01-2006, 05:25 PM
If you pull it off the bike, normaly the only things to replace are the inlet rubbers (if they've been theaded into, better if they have used adapters between the rubbers and the head, if the foggers have been tapped into the head you cant just stick a bolt in! the tread on the foggers is cone-shaped/tapered and will need to be re-tapped)) and the tank to carbs fuel line where it was tapped into/cut. Cant think of anything else ?

Mmmmm.....Nitrous.....
http://images.picpile.com/uploads/928262020.jpg

Tony.J.

Large
15-01-2006, 06:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Im not convinced about dry systems. Wet seem a safer bet, few more pipes, but the skys the limit on Bhp. Not the limit of standard fuel system. Only upgrade i would make to a wet system would be to run a pressure switch from the fuel soleniod to power the nos solenoid, No fuel = no NOS = No melted pistons

According to the owner, it's setup with a safety overide... A big red light on the dash that only comes on when you're at WOT and have sufficient fuel pressure. Then and only then does the "Come To God" button work[8D]

quote:Originally posted by ozkat

The only reason i ask is because i may be interested in buying the Nitrous system. Depending on price of course.

Sorry mate, no offence meant. I have seen your buying habits though:D(I was going to buy an USD front end from a guy in Randwick who mentioned you a couple of months ago) Ever since then you've been popping up everywhere. We must have a beer one day:)

The problem is, he basically wants full retail price for the nitrous. ie $1500. On the plus side it's fitted and tested.

Large
15-01-2006, 06:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

If you pull it off the bike, normaly the only things to replace are the inlet rubbers (if they've been theaded into, better if they have used adapters between the rubbers and the head, if the foggers have been tapped into the head you cant just stick a bolt in! the tread on the foggers is cone-shaped/tapered and will need to be re-tapped)) and the tank to carbs fuel line where it was tapped into/cut. Cant think of anything else ?

Tony.J.

The nozzles go into the rubbers so I though I could just fill the holes with short bolts. I didn't know the foggers had tapered threads.

One more question Tony,

I've got a K4 1000 which I rarely thrash, but it's not a problem to hold onto if I do. Doing the maths, the total power levels are similar, but the delivery is obviouly not linear on the bike in question.

Just how hard does your nitrous kick in? Is there a reason they're banned?[8D]

Tony Nitrous
15-01-2006, 06:22 PM
quote:
The nozzles go into the rubbers so I though I could just fill the holes with short bolts. I didn't know the foggers had tapered threads. Thanks Tony.

Yeah, thats what i was going to do, but I had visions of Nut/bolt/etc being fed into the valves so I bought new rubbers
when I removed mine ;)

I put a micro-switch onto the carbs set at WOT, also put a flick switch on the bars that turned the horn button into the "fire" button........
Sit at the lights...
Flick the button that changed over the horn circuit...
Launch in 1st, WOT(Wide-Open-Throttle) No Gas,
Change into 2nd, WOT, No Gas,
Change into 3rd, Thumb on the Horn, WHOOOOOSH!!!!!
Change into 4th, Thumb on the Horn, WHOOOOOSH!!!!!

Seen lots of different ideas, but this worked well
for me on street and strip.

Have fun ;)

Tony.J.

ozkat
15-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I think you will find that the reason Nitrous Oxide cannot be used on a public road is non ADR compliance. But im pretty sure you can still have the system connected on your car/bike as long as the bottle is not connected.

Tony Nitrous
15-01-2006, 09:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

I think you will find that the reason Nitrous Oxide cannot be used on a public road is non ADR compliance. But im pretty sure you can still have the system connected on your car/bike as long as the bottle is not connected.

Yeah, what he said!
Not had NOS in OZ, all my experience is in the UK.
(In the UK i even took the bike for its annual rego test,
(the MOT) with the system hooked up, only real grey area was
with the insurance)
I used to have "dummy" fuse holder with the wires going into the
loom doing nothing, so if ever i had a bump / got pulled i could shout "Look, No fuse, It won't work" but i never needed it.
I havent looked into all the OZ laws, but......
and I could be wrong here.........
I was under the impresion it varies from state to state,
and SOME states will allow "the happy gas" if the system can
be seen to be disconected.
I stand to be corrected ;)

As i said before mine came in quite smooth, I know some of
the guys i raced with had it kicking in a lot harder but they were better riders on better bikes chasing big horsepower.
I would describe it as finding out you have only been opening the throttle half way, hitting the gas is like finding that "other" half!

If a GSXR is making (for example) 130hp and you hit it with 40/60hp of gas, its a bit like cruising along, nice and steady in top gear, then knocking it down a gear or 2 and giving it a fistfull.

*Just a thought
Sure everyone knows this but.....
easy test is with the bottle turned off / NO gas,
arm the system, Give it a few rev's (I used to ride the bike)
then hit the "Fire / WOT" to activate the system.
IF all is well the bike will get Fuel but no NOS, this should
choke the motor. This tests that you have fuel getting to the foggers.
Fuel and no NOS = floods the motor,
NOS and no fuel = dont even think about it !

Enjoy [8D]