PDA

View Full Version : HELP; crash cage

dRRew
11-01-2006, 01:25 PM
im using my mates cbr 250rr as the dummy here as mines got no subframe or front end on it atm.
Im looking at building a crash cage but im not sure where the best spots for mounting are as i seem to think theres more to it then just what looks cool, taking into consideration; appropriate clearance issues, weight barable mounting points, laws?? any help with this would be great coz as soon as i figure out what the go is the sooner i can wheel my sorry ass into a workshop and get cracking. thanks.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/590607264259428.JPG

stevo
11-01-2006, 02:14 PM
take a full side shot from both sides ... then I can see what ya got ta play with...

I've made a few up now

dRRew
11-01-2006, 04:15 PM
ok will do asap.
thanks stevo

dRRew
11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
this a better shot for you stevo/ anyone?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/drrew/NewZorstfitted2.jpg

03gixxerpilot
11-01-2006, 08:41 PM
needs to show more of the chassi and another form the other side would be good so that stevo can see what there is to work with.

fimpBIKES
12-01-2006, 05:12 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/79145952799234.jpg

the engine bolts are easy to extend,
are u wanting the fairings to go under the cage

or are u a real man now and hater of fairyings?? :D

damo1
12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
While talking cages are they going to be a pain when doing track days and ground out.
i know it will depend on the design but they are thicker than fairing plastic and obviously will stick out a little more?
Im only askin because im thinking of putting one on my blade but have been worried about the clearance when doing track days.

TurboKat
12-01-2006, 09:52 PM
If you're gunna build a cage, the general rule of thumb is that for maximum strength/impact resistance, you need to anchor it to bolt holes that go thru BOTH the frame & the engine.
Mounting to frame only or engine only will just break off the mounting points upon impact.
An easy way to get at least one mounting point is to find out where a set of Wally Knobs would mount to that particular bike - they are almost always mounted at the strongest point.

stevo
12-01-2006, 10:03 PM
clearance depends on the cage design.....

if ya have something on the outside of the fairin it's gonna knock ya clearance around a bit tho...

To Drew's origional problem.... you've got limited mounting points so one of my design ones wont work..
but a single loop off the top engine mount goin in front of the pipes and one piece to tie back as Fimp has shown would be OK ...

here's pick of Clives

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/stevo84cube/cage009.jpg

and Grants
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/stevo84cube/cbr014.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/stevo84cube/sportyjet138.jpg

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 04:59 AM
both grant and i have tested these cages ( grant to a greater extent than me ) and have found no fault with tem at all, grants has save him a fourtune in repairs and engine covers, as stevo said limeted mounting points = limited options, fimp's should do well though. for more clearence move bar forward infront of exhaust like on mine and grants. Hope this helps

dRRew
13-01-2006, 12:33 PM
sorry the pics were confusing, my bike is completely naked yes. true fighter/ stunter.

fimp the subframe actually bolts onto the frame a bit further along, its a bit odd.

stevo, the black and white ones look the goods thats a shame. fimps idea looks the goer. do u think that the foot clearance would be an issue?

stevo
13-01-2006, 12:48 PM
foot clearance may be an issue...

I'll be makin one up for a GSXR600 next week and it requires a different design to the others...

I'll post pics when it's done as it may be useful to ya...

dRRew
13-01-2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/949395020194929.JPG

ok so i had a play but i cant seem to find a suitable second mounting point, and cant work out if in steves examples there using 2 points or 1.. also id like to know what the best material is for this app coz as soon as i get something worked out i will hook into fabrication. thanks for the help guys. ps stevo, is clive elmo?

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 02:22 PM
drew. i am clive. looks like the second mounting point will have to be where it is in the first pic, we used exhaust tube for the cage and heavy wall pipe for the mounts comming of the chassis, with aloy spacers between the chassis and the mounting tubes.

stevo
13-01-2006, 02:47 PM
i'll show ya the new design next week ...

grant = elmo = used ta be VTR stunter

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 02:50 PM
stevo will ya show me my crach cage on my vtr next week as well!!!!!!!!!! ;)

dRRew
13-01-2006, 02:53 PM
nice to meet you clive. looking forward to new designs! agh so grant is elmo, why did he used to be a vtr stunter? whats happened, an upgrade?

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 03:00 PM
yep hes got cbr1000rr stunt bike ie the one in thphotos above with the white cage on it.

stevo
13-01-2006, 03:20 PM
probably wednesday Clive ..... Millsi is comin in monday so I can work out some measurements without his current cage on ... then I'll get some tubing bent up and then get into it when I get that.... so both on the same day and I'll repair your ld one... do ya still have the bolts, spacers and knobs??????

doin Tuesdays and Thursdays in at bradfast and mon, wed, fri in my shed

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 03:26 PM
yep still got all those bits just got to look for them
Saw rick last night and he said that he would prefer to get a new cage rather that buy my old one.

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Ah so you have got regular times at bradfast now, makes planing things a bit ezyer

stevo
13-01-2006, 03:35 PM
no worries I'd prefer to make a new one anyway ..new bolts, spacers, knobs...the lot.. .. just he took so long to pay for that last job and he's whingin about bein broke I thought I'd help him out.....

I should stop doin that tho ... doesn't seem to help me out... and the ones that whinge seem to be the biggest problem...

ahhh fuck 'em all....

yeah, I told Dave I needed set times to organise stuff around ...

just remembered Grant wants one for his VTR too ... so I'll be makin 2 off yours .. so that's 3 cages next week plus Ricks, maybe ..... mmmmm could run into the following week... bit of work in that lot..

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Ahh only stiring about cage for the VTR, we'll do it only if you got time i'm in on hurry and grant needs to get a new one for the CBR befor the VTR, and i need to get a set of cams for my VTR.

stevo
13-01-2006, 04:39 PM
none on US ebay at the mo ..... unless ya wanna put some new RC51 performance ones in for US$1200..

Figured you'd be too tight ta buy them :D

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 04:44 PM
shit stevo i only payed $800aus for it, idont want the cams to be worth more than the bike,

thought i'd get a bite outa mingay about the breakes, must be that my maths aint that bad after all!!!;)

stevo
13-01-2006, 04:46 PM
he has some good points and he did more work than I thought ....

The only prob bein is that ya need the VTR goin again so we can test it .... and I still have a few tricks up me sleeve ;)

03gixxerpilot
13-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I thought as much, and we got more enginering ability, and hydrolic experience that we can make it work, i still think that the one caliper on one carrier is going to be better to use and easer to remove and reinstall wheel.

fimpBIKES
14-01-2006, 12:10 PM
what thickness exhaust tube u use?

there is a guy here in newy that charges only $15 a bend for mendrel bending
i have been thinking about using stainless inch tube for one, how is the tube over the bolt done
do u weld some flat to it & drill a hole for the bolt?

03gixxerpilot
14-01-2006, 10:02 PM
i"ll get bakc to you on monday arvo with specific details, unless stevo dose so befor then.