PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Underground Buildoff just commenced

Pages : [1] 2

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
23 people were listed for it. 8 Canadians, 14 Americans and one ratbag Aussie. 3 months build time. A $1000USD build budget(does not include the donor bike cost). Judged by online votes. Will post the link to show the other competitors bikes when it is published. But for now, here's a piccy of my donor-An 04' GSXR750 purchased from Motorcycle Disposals last year. Per the rules, I've obtained a stock replacement exhaust and a radiator off an 02'(doesn't fit the stock frame but thats OK cause I build my own). Every so often I'll be posting new pictures here as well as the contest site as work progresses so bear with me. If you are wondering what interest a streetfighter site would have with a chopper contest entry just wait & see.....

http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/chop-GSXR004.jpg

Contestant IO17

Gix11
03-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Good on ya Chop. Been looking forward to this mate.......

Gix11
03-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Good on ya Chop. Been looking forward to this mate.......

fimpBIKES
03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
this is going to be good!!!

if u need any help chop i can see what i can do,
i have some gixxer forks laying about and some triple clamps if it helps

fimpBIKES
03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
this is going to be good!!!

if u need any help chop i can see what i can do,
i have some gixxer forks laying about and some triple clamps if it helps

Razorback
03-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Wow youve got a nice start there anyway... This should be very interesting... GOOD LUCK MAN!!

That frame its on looks suspiciosly like one of "Bikes Only Transport's" crate systems...

Got a couple lying around meself ;)

Razorback
03-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Wow youve got a nice start there anyway... This should be very interesting... GOOD LUCK MAN!!

That frame its on looks suspiciosly like one of "Bikes Only Transport's" crate systems...

Got a couple lying around meself ;)

Benz
03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey Fimp,
What sort of forks you got? Are you interested in moving them on?
I have a '90 gixxer frame, swinger, and triple clamps sitting waiting for a front end,and a tank, to 'update' my '88 1108 slabfighter
Oh yeah, Choppa, good luck with the build mate, your style may not be to my taste, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the effort you'll have to put in to get a result.
I'm lookin forward to seeing what you make/modify.

Benz
03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey Fimp,
What sort of forks you got? Are you interested in moving them on?
I have a '90 gixxer frame, swinger, and triple clamps sitting waiting for a front end,and a tank, to 'update' my '88 1108 slabfighter
Oh yeah, Choppa, good luck with the build mate, your style may not be to my taste, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the effort you'll have to put in to get a result.
I'm lookin forward to seeing what you make/modify.

03-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Looks like the forks are into the chopper action there already Choppa?

Good luck mate. What's the timeline?

03-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Looks like the forks are into the chopper action there already Choppa?

Good luck mate. What's the timeline?

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement. I un-twisted the bottom yolk & got a new top yolk off eBay for stuff all. The forks are in suprisingly good condition and the front wheel was fixed by Fat Tony. I've got a mangled Hardley front guard that I'm thinking of re-working for the rear and a rear that I might butcher for the front. Other ideas include tank under the seat, false supercharger(I'll do a real one after the Engineers Certificate) and a frame similar to that blue Buell in Back Street Heroes. The new swingarm pivots are a combination of gold pivot inserts off a GSXR1000 frame($5 at a scrap yard) and one off machined steel parts that cost me a six of VB from the fitters at work. I'll be using a headstock of a VN1500 to mock up until I get a new one made. If I can't get an instrument panel cheap enough(cause it comes out of my build budget) I'll use a Hardley electronic unit & modify the pulse generator to give an accurate reading. Other than that i have a few ideas I'm toying with as well but I'll see how the bike evolves before commiting to them. I should have the frame cradle finished by Australia Day and after that I'll be sorting out the rest. I don't know if the Yank & Canadian voters will dig the style I'm aiming for but I don't care as it's about that great Australian spirit of "Have A Go". I've won trophies before from bikes I've built so I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. I'm just going to enjoy the build & try some things I've never done before bikewise.

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement. I un-twisted the bottom yolk & got a new top yolk off eBay for stuff all. The forks are in suprisingly good condition and the front wheel was fixed by Fat Tony. I've got a mangled Hardley front guard that I'm thinking of re-working for the rear and a rear that I might butcher for the front. Other ideas include tank under the seat, false supercharger(I'll do a real one after the Engineers Certificate) and a frame similar to that blue Buell in Back Street Heroes. The new swingarm pivots are a combination of gold pivot inserts off a GSXR1000 frame($5 at a scrap yard) and one off machined steel parts that cost me a six of VB from the fitters at work. I'll be using a headstock of a VN1500 to mock up until I get a new one made. If I can't get an instrument panel cheap enough(cause it comes out of my build budget) I'll use a Hardley electronic unit & modify the pulse generator to give an accurate reading. Other than that i have a few ideas I'm toying with as well but I'll see how the bike evolves before commiting to them. I should have the frame cradle finished by Australia Day and after that I'll be sorting out the rest. I don't know if the Yank & Canadian voters will dig the style I'm aiming for but I don't care as it's about that great Australian spirit of "Have A Go". I've won trophies before from bikes I've built so I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. I'm just going to enjoy the build & try some things I've never done before bikewise.

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
The forks need just a little more rake for my needs.... The bike must be photo'ed running and completed by the end of March. I also have to submit regular pictures with my Builder ID number in them over the course of the build. As of luck, I have skill & good looks so luck would pushing it a bit......

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
The forks need just a little more rake for my needs.... The bike must be photo'ed running and completed by the end of March. I also have to submit regular pictures with my Builder ID number in them over the course of the build. As of luck, I have skill & good looks so luck would pushing it a bit......

03-01-2006, 01:25 PM
End of March!????!

Gonna bring it along to the run?

03-01-2006, 01:25 PM
End of March!????!

Gonna bring it along to the run?

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 01:46 PM
End of March. It will be NSW Road legal but not Engineered so if it comes it will be on the back of the ute(if it fits that is). I'm full on committed to it and have even gone to the extent of dumping the annoying woman I was seeing just to give me more build time with less distractions. I did a nuts & bolts build up on a Triumph T120 chopper in 6 weeks solid when I was alot younger and on holidays. It will be a stretch getting it all done BUT there are a suprisingly large number of people wanting to see me kick the shit out of the North Americans in the bike building game so I don't want to disappoint them....I can handle loosing in the contest but I can't handle not finishing that bike. Simple as that really....

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 01:46 PM
End of March. It will be NSW Road legal but not Engineered so if it comes it will be on the back of the ute(if it fits that is). I'm full on committed to it and have even gone to the extent of dumping the annoying woman I was seeing just to give me more build time with less distractions. I did a nuts & bolts build up on a Triumph T120 chopper in 6 weeks solid when I was alot younger and on holidays. It will be a stretch getting it all done BUT there are a suprisingly large number of people wanting to see me kick the shit out of the North Americans in the bike building game so I don't want to disappoint them....I can handle loosing in the contest but I can't handle not finishing that bike. Simple as that really....

dRRew
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
go chop thats fucken rad mate! ozy ozy ozy!

dRRew
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
go chop thats fucken rad mate! ozy ozy ozy!

chopaweeza
03-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Update-I have the motor on the Jig. I have the Jig on the Hydralic bike lift.Anyone want a flat Yoshimura exhaust system??? In the morning I'll start mocking the angles using the front/rear ends & swingarm. I'm slowly getting used to the idea that I now have Fans who write me fan mail. As a former Bodyguard it's a serious mindfuck. Good I guess but alot of responsibility. I now can't let my fans & supporters down so I'd better kick it up a notch & win this damn thing I guess. Most perculiar.....

fimpBIKES
03-01-2006, 09:55 PM
got a pic of the yosh can?
if i buy it does that = negative total project costs for u?? ;)

fimpBIKES
03-01-2006, 09:55 PM
got a pic of the yosh can?
if i buy it does that = negative total project costs for u?? ;)

fimpBIKES
03-01-2006, 09:56 PM
how much was that gixxer out of interest
could be a cheap source of a radial front end...

fimpBIKES
03-01-2006, 09:56 PM
how much was that gixxer out of interest
could be a cheap source of a radial front end...

chopaweeza
04-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Oi All,

Having a lunchbreak from mocking up. Here's a link to the contestants so far- No guesses as to who owns the GSXR .... http://www.chopperunderground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15807&st=0&p=130427&

Fimp,

The picture shows all that is left of the Yoshi.I bought the bike for $2275 from Motorcycle Disposals at Seven Hills. It had been there for quite a while until a group of us from the club found it there , thoroughly checked it over and the offer I later made on it was accepted. The engine turns over sweet & doesn't have a mark on it. The front end wasn't as bad as the pictures on the MC Disposals website would have me believe with most of it being salvagable or repairable. Also, check for Statutory Writeoffs listed by Fowles & Pickles Auctions( www.fowles.com.au/ and www.pickles.com.au/ )

chopaweeza
04-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Oi All,

Having a lunchbreak from mocking up. Here's a link to the contestants so far- No guesses as to who owns the GSXR .... http://www.chopperunderground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15807&st=0&p=130427&

Fimp,

The picture shows all that is left of the Yoshi.I bought the bike for $2275 from Motorcycle Disposals at Seven Hills. It had been there for quite a while until a group of us from the club found it there , thoroughly checked it over and the offer I later made on it was accepted. The engine turns over sweet & doesn't have a mark on it. The front end wasn't as bad as the pictures on the MC Disposals website would have me believe with most of it being salvagable or repairable. Also, check for Statutory Writeoffs listed by Fowles & Pickles Auctions( www.fowles.com.au/ and www.pickles.com.au/ )

04-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Had a couple of those H#nda 400 twins when I was a teenager. (I022)
Great little bike to learn on.

Oh and, You evil bad mofo you :D[:I]:D

Gix11
04-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Ha. Nice one Chop. Love the fact they're wondering which mad bastard is doing the Gixer.

chopaweeza
04-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Yeh well, they seem to think i'm the English Entrant who dropped out in November........ And, I wasn't lying, I do know who owns the Gixxer and whats more I know what he's going to do to it. But I have a large cheeky streek so I'm not going to put them out of their misery. As I have approval from the organisers to share the pictures I submit heres a quick piccy from todays efforts.I've already mocked the angles on the front end so I can start bending tubing shortly. I'm taking a break at the moment so I'd better get back into it.

http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/Buildoff001.jpg

Razorback
04-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Does the person with the Virago actually have to do anything ?? :D

fimpBIKES
04-01-2006, 05:17 PM
motorcycle disposals is great like that
i bought the tiller from there this time last year, they let me pull pretty much anything off it :D

looks like you've got them scratching their heds

chopaweeza
04-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I honestly pity the poor bugger with the Virago. The contest is about custom bikes and he'll have to work real hard to make it look anything like other than a Pimped Virago. Good on him for trying such a hard bike to chop.... I've been pretty crook today(I've worked in Asia & hard recurring heath problems from it) but I still got the geometry mockup sorted. I need to weld an extension onto the frame jig before I start as the steering neck will be about a foot further forward from were it is. It's going to be just like its builder-Long , Mean and Aggressive...

http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/Buildoff005.jpg

http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/Buildoff003.jpg

Gix11
04-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Mate, she looks chunky as already. You're gonna whip their arses with this sort of shit mate after seeing what else has been submitted so far.

suxukifreak
04-01-2006, 07:32 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1100030479.jpg
quote:FOUND ANOTHER PROJECT BIKE!! I think there was some fat prick on the back when he rode off a bridge and fucked the front and back of a good suzuki ;)

Razorback
04-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Is that for real or a photochop ?

Razorback
04-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Is that for real or a photochop ?

BOHEMION
04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
thats a Photoshop Chop Chop 4 sure

BOHEMION
04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
thats a Photoshop Chop Chop 4 sure

04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Photochop.

Only a Thalidomide victim could use those pegs. Imagine coming to a sudden stop on it? ouch!

03gixxerpilot
04-01-2006, 10:10 PM
who says that you cant chop a jap bike, look in " back street heros " mag and youll see a few examples of late model jap bikes that have been chopped.

03gixxerpilot
04-01-2006, 10:10 PM
who says that you cant chop a jap bike, look in " back street heros " mag and youll see a few examples of late model jap bikes that have been chopped.

chopaweeza
05-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Latest update

http://www.chopperunderground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15823&st=0&p=130601&

ozkat
05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Onya chop, im following the build up on the website as well. some interesting comments/concepts on there.

chopaweeza
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
At the moment my hands are shaky as hell. The meds they have me one have me shaking like a dodgy washing machine and occasionally hallucinating. Been sitting down with the swingarm & bottom yolk trying to remove powdercoat without slicing my fingers off. It's pissy little jobs like this that have to be done anyway so rather than operate power tools with shaky hands I'm doing this shit instead. It's already proving easy to tell some of the Pro Builders . Now it starts to get interesting....

Had a funny thing this arvo. A bloke & his missus dropped over to get an electrical fault fixed on his VFR. His wife was having a look over the Gixxer on the Jig and noticed that the tyres were Pirelli Diablo's . After telling her that Diablo was Spanish for Devil she stormed out squeeling something about God will strike me down for having Satan on my tyres.... Go figure.... That was some weird shit....

BOHEMION
05-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Alot of people are so afraid of God it makes em wacky and really out of time with reallity. Makes em selfish too.

Gix11
05-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Good job you didn't have your shirt on then mate. Fuck knows what she would have done to you?

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
if diablos are the devil,
than what does that make the corsa's? :D

that I008 guy has a ways to go!!

Gix11
05-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I008! - That's the Virago dude. He's taking no prisoners with his work is he? That thing looked like it was sold on a showroom floor yesterday. Still think Chop's got it in the bag though.

chopaweeza
07-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, here's the updated word. 3 contestants have formally pulled out leaving 10 that have confirmed they are in(either by starting or saying they are starting) and 10 that have yet say or do anything. Men from the boys as they say.....I've been doing those dirty little jobs that have to be done like cleaning thread holes, stripping paint and re-checking angles for the frame geometry(good thing to as I got one wrong). I also set my balls on fire when cutting steel with the large grinder but no real damage. That may or may not teach me to wear long pants when working steel but I doubt it....All good fun.....

I may also have various alcoholics over this weekend so I may actually get some real work done as a result. If you're out St Marys way and wanna drop by give me a yell..

newf fighter
08-01-2006, 05:50 AM
Wayne, you fuggin rule buddy! Enjoying watching this come together and really dig your attitude. Giv'r!

03gixxerpilot
08-01-2006, 07:02 AM
G'day wayne, hope the project is coming along well, can't wait to see the next progress report/pics!!!!!!!!

chopaweeza
09-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, here's the update. The bloke that was doing my headstock had a car accident. I've got a good mate, Louie ,at Moorebank Motorcycles doing one up hopefully in the next week or so. This weekend I'll be fabricating engine mounts , clearing more powder coat and maybe starting on parts of the engine cradle if time allows. A serious delay by not having parts in but there's not alot I can do but try to work around it. This weekend if you are out St Marys way and want to swing by for a look & a beer give me a yell and I'll chuck you some details. Also, for you die hard fans, I cracked the builder ID codes and now know who is building what. Builder IO08 with the Virago has never chopped a bike before but he's a smart little bugger and should be OK if he can remember how to put his bike back together....

Gix11
09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I lived in St.Mary's for about 4 months in '96 but there was fuck all as exciting as a biker build off contestant entry going on then. Bollox to my timing. Bit of a treck now mate. Is there any more updates on the chop site? (Why don't I just have a bloody look?)

03gixxerpilot
09-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Bad news on your mate hope he makes a speedy recovery, good to see you are making progress on the bike.

chopaweeza
09-01-2006, 08:58 PM
He had his spleen removed about 2 weeks ago and has all the usual broken bones. He'll be off work for about 6 months. The at fault driver had been in Australia for only 2 weeks & ran a red light. On the buildoff site there are now pictures of 10 entrant bikes so the number are slowly creeping up. I estimate the final number to be about 14 or so for the actual contestants so it's still a decent sized field. For the record, I live in Old Mt Druitt and yes, I will win this.

And for all you parts whores, here's the swingarm pivot. The GSXR750 has the assembly cast into the frame so I bought a stolen/recovered 02' GSXR1000 frame from a scrap yard, nicked the pivots out of it and had these steel adaptors made up so I could weld these into the new frame with minimum fuss and while still looking good.
http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/Parts002.jpg

03gixxerpilot
09-01-2006, 09:24 PM
You've got my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

chopaweeza
09-01-2006, 09:35 PM
The odd thing I guess is that I don't know who I'm going to vote for yet. I know who I'm not going to vote for because of personal differences but I'll be watching the pack and probably basing vote on which full on amatuer made the best go of it. I'm classified as a semi-professional apparently and that gives me a better understanding of what it is really like to build most everything yourself. I think contests like this can be a good thing to generate alot of the right sort of bike building attitude. Like racing, competition improves the breed and perhaps there should be a Streetfighters Buildoff later in the year-Just a thought.... For the record, there are 5 professional builders in the contest and all have shown pictures so far.

09-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Mt Druitt,well who'd have guessed?go the ratbag.vote for the Vaigro mate,he seems like your biggest oposition if any.

03gixxerpilot
10-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Now Now choppa don't stire the shit LOL no seriously i like the idea of a streetfighter build of, may be have to think of some rules and a possible start date for it wink wink

Gix11
10-01-2006, 11:30 AM
What sort of time frame does the contest last? I only ask 'cause it's taken me 7 years to get my bike to where it is now but if you looked at it you'd think it was 7 days. I could be in trouble if I was in the build off. I'll organise details and oversee any build off if you really want it, although I'd need some experienced judges........

10-01-2006, 12:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

Now Now choppa don't stire the shit LOL no seriously i like the idea of a streetfighter build of, may be have to think of some rules and a possible start date for it wink wink

State Team Fighter build off.

Teams from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra.

stevo
10-01-2006, 12:14 PM
hey we'll have to have a Nth Queensland section ...... mind you then we'll be fightin between Townsville and Cairns

either way we can beat you southern show ponies......

Gix11
10-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Here we go........

chopaweeza
10-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, you could borrow bits from the Chopper Underground buildoff.
The Buildoff I'm in is 3 months in length so here's the rules on it .

*3 Months length
*Purchase price and the cost to get the bike running is not included in the budget
*Builder ID Numbers to avoid people cheating by starting early
*Regular photos with builder ID's showing to prove you are actually doing the work
*A semi-rigid build budget that you have to justify your expenses at the end of the contest
*A No Harleys Rule
*At the end of the contest you have to take photo's of the bike actually running/doing a burnout/wheelie/stoppie
*Bike has to be capable of being road legal in your area(in my case be capable of passing an Engineers Certificate)
*Vote by the member of the web board for a period of 7 days after the build is over
*Final vote using 4 pictures submitted by each contestant only.
*No ones supposed to openly reveal their builder ID's on the website(so stop teasing them 03GP)but most know anyway
* And theres some others I can't remember at the moment

All this and some still got confused into thinking that the donor bike was part of the budget.... You don't need judges just a person to have the pictures sent too(and is not competing) , have that person assign number and post updates with the builder submitted pictures. You really need at least 3 months lead in , confirmed numbers and easily understood rules. I personally won't be competing in anything after this for a while but I'll help out if asked. Anyway, prototype engine mounts don't just make themselves so I'd better get to it and try another different type until I get what I'm after.

stevo
10-01-2006, 01:07 PM
The biggest hassle is doin something that can be registered in Queensland ...

I have a bike friendly engineer to approve stuff but I still know what will pass and what wont .... and I wont do a dodgy out of my shop .... it's done right or it's not done ... simple ... I'll bend the rules but if you've broken 'em and someone gets hurt ya may as well close ya workshop and walk away 'cos there'll be nothin left once the scum sucking bottom feeding parasitic lawyers have finished

A streetfighter type would be easier than a chop in Queensland ... and most of my work these days is moving away from the Harley/cruiser stuff to stunt/streetfighter stuff (mainly because I do performance engine and custom work).... most of the HD guys just wanna put pretty billet crap on that doesn't flow .... half the time it looks like someone ate a CC catalogue and threw up over a set of cases...

I've also got one of the best air brush artists in the country in the shed next door Darren Wenzell ... here's a couple of pics ta give you an idea ... he did the Sarkis Bros outfit too

http://www.iqconnect.net.au/~stevo/ptc1.jpg

http://www.iqconnect.net.au/~stevo/gixxer 012.jpg

http://www.iqconnect.net.au/~stevo/nedbuell3.jpg

Gix11
10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Shit mate, that's some good work!

fimpBIKES
10-01-2006, 04:21 PM
must be legal, in NSW...
does that mean it'll have to have big fugly blinkers and mirrors :(

i think that rule is a bit biased to the seppos, they dont even HAVE rules over there do they?

stevo
10-01-2006, 07:24 PM
actually just remembered..... I have got a chop project ....

got a 63 unit Trumpy motor with 500 barrells and head ... and an AJS/Matchy frame .. and en early 70's RD250 yammie that was gonna donate the front end wheels with twin leading shoe front...
Was gonna go circa '60's cafe with it but my sporty is goin cafe with carbon tank and guards so I figured I'd do somethin different... bob/chop the Trumpy/AJS/Matchy .... apes, rigid, spring seat, matt black, red wheels and whitewalls .... and get Darren to do some cool scroll work on it..

Ya got me thinkin now ...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... I might leave that one untill we got another build off thing goin and I'll start it then....... it's been on the drawing board for over 10 years now... so no rush ;)

chopaweeza
13-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Sounds like a great build project Stevo. I've built quite a few Brit bikes so if you need a hand give me a yell after the current buildoff's over.Those pictures, what can I say, Quality Airbrush work or what. I've already got an up and coming airbrush artist lined up for my bike. We worked a good deal out between us and this will be his first bike. He's also only 15 and while it may seem like a risk using him on a contest bike I have faith in his skill & ability. Also, if I don't like it there's always the rattle can matt black to fall back on......

This weekend i'll be starting on the frame. Still haven't got the headstock so everything forward of the cylinders will have to wait. I hope to get at least the rear engine area finished and some other areas hopefully as well. Will post some piccys on Monday.

In other buildoff news-There are updates on both the donor bikes links(including a GS750) and on some more pictures in the other thread for the build updates.

Razorback
13-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Oh my!

The car is INSANE! thats such amazingly good work.

And i love the Buell tank too... craftsmanship

stevo
13-01-2006, 11:15 AM
G'day Wazza ... Might bounce some ideas off ya if I decide to do the comp thing like you are...

as far as bike idea ... we'll have a beer or two over it but I'm in a similar spot to yaself, been doin this for a while and got a pretty good idea how to get around most things... but always open to an easier way ta do somethin or a chance to reduce mistakes...or tricks that are model specific

I started that '63 trumpy when I got back from the states in '94 'cos I had no transport but I picked some mine work fairly quickly so it got relagated to project..... I welded the case up to take a primary tensioner as that first unit case didn't have one... about all I need for motor from memory is a Boyer-Brandson ignition and put it together... HAHAHAHA .. I've got an Indian chief motor here that just had to be "put together" ....suffice to say.. I ain't doin another one..fucken blind fuckwitt must assembled it before... EVERYTHING had to be re-machined ... but I'm a picky bastard ..;)

The first thing I gotta do is free up some cash and go all legit with the business as it's starting to get a bit big.... was just my toys and mates toys.... now either I'm gettin more mates or it's actually starting to become work :) bugger ... I hate lookin at makin bikes as WORK

Young fella sounds like he'll be fine for whatya want... Darren started off at the bottom too ... ya should see some of his other stuff ... those pics are only a poofteenth of what he's done ... funny thing is, both he and I like matt/satin black for our own stuff :D :D guess ya get sick of all the pretty shit when ya been doin it for years...

good luck with ya build..... can appreciate the effort...

chopaweeza
15-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, it took 6 prototypes but on the 7th go it all came together and here they are.This week I'll weld these into a box section with an open top, have the pivot holes precision bored out and start on the rest when the headstock is done. In the other photo is a home made tubing bender built to the design from Blackjack of Blackjack Customs in Bristol, UK.You'll find blackjacks webisite full of alsorts of great stuff at www.thefont.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bikes/index.htm While i'd like to take credit for the bender, I can't. The bulk of the work was done by my clubmate Fat Tony and he's made a quality piece of engineering. To buy a tubing bender(and not a pipe bender) will cost you about $500+ for the unit plus $700+ for dies to actually bend the tubing on....

http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/BuildoffFinger.jpg
http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/GetBent.jpg

Gix11
15-01-2006, 06:54 PM
That Fat Tony's a clever bastard ain't he? That don't look like no glove your wearing there Chop, what happened mate, the 6 goes before get a bit frustrating?

chopaweeza
15-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm a former bodyguard. Every so often I have the need to exercise. Nuf said.Fat Tony-if I would have had the time to do it myself I still wouldn't have done as precise a job as he did. I tell people he's better than me at building and he seems to tell people that I am better than him. Difference is, I'm right and he is better than me. No shame in that and becides , he's a handy fella to know for all the shit in the "Too Hard" basket. I tried 4 different ways of doing the mounts and the 4th style was the best. I did 3 of the final style that weren't right in one way or another and the last was the one in the picture. While I've re-worked swingarm frames before I've never done one from scratch. It's a learning curve and I've allowed time for it in the build schedule. I would have liked to have finished more this weekend but I'm happy I got the plates to were they are now. Before work tomorrow I'll get into it and get them so I can take them to work and get the fitters to precision bore them hopefully.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 12:36 PM
sounds like its comming together well choppa, keep up the good work ;)

chopaweeza
23-01-2006, 04:20 PM
As some of you know I'm going through a complicated divorce. Up til recently this has been relatively OK but this has now changed. I may loose everything including the buildoff bike the way things are now going. I prefer not to discuss my personal life in public and hope people respect that wish. The next weeks will tell. I apologise to all whose hopes I have got up, I apologise to my supporters and I apologise to my fan club for my failure in this. Those who have sent me money for parts will recieve them but everything else is on hold for now. To those I have let down I hope you understand.

Wayne

Razorback
23-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately I understand only too well mate.

Hope it works out for ya...

stevo
23-01-2006, 04:53 PM
A mans character is not defined by how he acts when everything is going his way...

But rather how he holds himself when things turn ta shit...

and ya don't strike me as the sorta bloke that's gonna dog anyone ;)

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do Wazza .... and those that don't understand that aren't worth shit...

Hopefully once the dust has settled you'll be able to have a nother crack at it.....

Keep ya chin up

I'll drag the Trumpy out and go up against ya next year..... :D

Gix11
23-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Once the lawyers get involved it starts to suck big time mate. Bite your tongue and hang in there mate. Once you're out the other side it will all be good. By the way, I managed to lose one of your photos abovwe because I'm still hung over. Stick it back up if you want.

fimpBIKES
23-01-2006, 09:09 PM
there's always next year chop
(although im hoping there will be a "country" NSW entrant allowed ;))

dRRew
24-01-2006, 11:48 AM
good luck with everything chop, your a good bloke and you have all of us to support no matter what mate im sure.

BOHEMION
24-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah Chops good luck mate Hold ya head up bud

24-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Yeah just git hit by CSA meself
60% out of my fortnight's pay just like that. And we're supposed to be out of their system.
Tell ya what, the ex is going to spew when she finds out that I've cancelled a $3000 cheque becaause of it, and she ain't getting the money back, she'll have to sue CSA for her losses (and believe me I didn't divorce this woman because she's a sweatheart.
This is all Federal Labour's fault, they shafted us blokes when they were in power, bringing in the CSA, pro-feminist laws, anti white male policies.
Can we start a "Kill a Labour Scumbag pollie" project? 1 per member, bonus' for any of their family caught up in it!! Come on, come on, let's do it. We could even award bonus points for the most publicly spectacular execution????

Or am I hoping for too much?

chopaweeza
24-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Bloodied. Bowed . But not yet beaten. Got my headstock though as well. I will survive and endure because I know no other way. In my case there are no children . Stay Cool
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/748657621144485.jpg

gibbo
24-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Thats the spirit Chopa,fuckem all!!

chopaweeza
29-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Oi All,

Been a while since I did anything previously. Been massively depressed with my personal issues and haven't been into the workshop for days. Thats changed. Fuck the Yanks, Fuck the Canucks, Fuck the Solicitors and Fuck everyone else that stands in my way. I'm going for it. With Fat Tonys help and his higher amperage Mig we were able to get the box section swingarm pivots welded up. Once these are squared up to the rear of the motor I'll be taking the rails from the top engine mounts to the pivot plates. I'll then be tacking up the braces behind the motor which double up as the mounts for the mono shock before we attack the thick steel with Tony's Mig. My Mig will do up to 4.5mm OK but I over engineered that area with very thick plate and need Fat Tonys Mig to get good depth on the welds. My camera's batterys died so no piccies til later in the week. As I got sick of explaining that my frame is a combination of Streetfighter and Chopper styling I'm using poetic licence and calling the style a ChopFighter. I'm got days off later in the week so i'll be into that frame.

Thanks Fat Tony, you are the definition of a Staunch Clubmate and a great friend. Thanks also to my army of supporters-you helped me pull through alive. Thanks to Blackjack as well for all the great technical advice and other assistance-To have a world famous bike builder give you pointers is a phenominal assistance and I'm privileged for it. Thanks all and I will finish this or die trying.

BOHEMION
29-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Choppaaaaaaaa! thats the way mate Keep up the great work, Ya showing a very strong spirit mate. Onya mate. respect.........

Tony Nitrous
29-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Been there Chop.
Ex-wife ran up big bills and then f*cked off and took me
for half of what little i had left. Took me 8 years to get
out of that hole.

I found out bikes are great therapy and your real mates
will stand by you.

http://images.picpile.com/uploads/650847275.jpg

Tony.J.

stevo
29-01-2006, 07:06 PM
The more I learn about women ...

the more I like my bikes....

Gix11
29-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Ditto to that.

30-01-2006, 11:42 AM
The Ex has been gone 12 years, and I STILL celebrate it :)

chopaweeza
30-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I third the motion. That is one cool shirt. Things sometimes pick up when you least expect them. Like when you are trying to find a missing picture on your PC and instead you find a Blog written by your ex-wife that contains alot of leverage to reinforce our original agreement....LMAO Actually.... One day you're cock of the walk-the next a feather duster.......

Tony Nitrous
30-01-2006, 06:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

That is one cool shirt.

http://images.picpile.com/uploads/572685060.jpg
http://images.picpile.com/uploads/947055285.jpg
http://images.picpile.com/uploads/293864536.jpg

Not sure ALL the lads on here would think so !
I Got sucked into the "Harley Brainwash Bullshit" for a while,
But im OK now ;)

03gixxerpilot
30-01-2006, 07:59 PM
good to see that you are OK now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevo
30-01-2006, 09:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Not sure ALL the lads on here would think so !
I Got sucked into the "Harley Brainwash Bullshit" for a while,
But im OK now ;)

got a harley meself ... but I never bought into the bullshit .... and mine doesn't look or go like most harleys .. :D

no chrome and flat bars ... got clip ons goin on it this time...

funny that .. Clive mentioned the other day that I'm a little different ... I put motoX bars on my jap thou and clip ons on my harley ....

March to the beat of a different drum ????.... fuck marchin, pass me another beer...

03gixxerpilot
30-01-2006, 10:37 PM
OK must be my shout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newf fighter
31-01-2006, 04:06 AM
[/quote]

got a harley meself ... but I never bought into the bullshit .... and mine doesn't look or go like most harleys .. :D

no chrome and flat bars ... got clip ons goin on it this time...

funny that .. Clive mentioned the other day that I'm a little different ... I put motoX bars on my jap thou and clip ons on my harley ....

March to the beat of a different drum ????.... fuck marchin, pass me another beer...
[/quote]

You sure brag like every poser I've ever heard.[B)][:o)]

chopaweeza
31-01-2006, 05:34 AM
For the record I've owned 8 Harleys in the past. Some of those bikes I have very fond memories from some of those bikes but most not. Not everyone that rides a Harley is a wanker or a crim. Not everyone that rides a Jappa is a decent bloke or law abiding citizen either. Not everyone that owns a Laverda is a Poof(apparently). Not every Norton owner has shares in Shell Oil.While Harley's advertising has targeted wannabe wankers that doesn't mean every non-outlaw owner is a wanker. There are hardcore blokes that own Harleys that like them for what they are and not what some weekend warrior fantasises over as a "lifestyle" . Oddly enough most decent Harley owners ride Sportsters or Shovels . Sooner or later most bikers end up owning a Harley mostly to see what all the hype is about and there is a certain attraction to the storybook biker "lifestyle" that the weekend badasses perpetuate. Many see through that crap and either go on to other makes or stay with the bike but not the bullshit "lifestyle".While I might pay out on them several of my mates own them and they pay out on me straight back. It's not so much about the name on the tank it's the rider. A bike enthusiast is a rare thing, its a person that a bike is a big piece of their lives and they don't feel complete without one. The make, model and styles might vary but enthusiasts are the same with their love of bikes. Pay out on the man for what he rides Newf but show him the respect he deserves as a true motorcyle enthusiast.