PDA

View Full Version : Fightering a GPz900r

29-07-2005, 06:15 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/motorbike photos 009_small.jpg

Hi guys, how's trick's?

I'm looking at picking up a GPz9 :D on the weekend, and was wondering if any body had any pointers for fightering one? ;)

29-07-2005, 07:59 PM
lead with the left.

29-07-2005, 07:59 PM
lead with the left.

Gix11
30-07-2005, 04:04 AM
If that's the actual bike, piss the rack off, get some extended dog bones, piss the fairing off and then get back to us when it looks like one of these:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/gpz1.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/gpz2.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/gpz3.jpg

Gix11
30-07-2005, 04:04 AM
If that's the actual bike, piss the rack off, get some extended dog bones, piss the fairing off and then get back to us when it looks like one of these:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/gpz1.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/gpz2.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/gpz3.jpg

30-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Don't you have a bed to go to Gix?

You ever been to Canberra in winter mate? :( I Might be hanging on to that fairing for another couple of months [8)]

A decent set of flat bars are definitely on the early order list, dunno if I'm that fussed on the standard body work sans fairing though, so might have to look into a new tank and seat unit. Anybody know where I can get some B-king livery for it? ;)[}:)]

30-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Don't you have a bed to go to Gix?

You ever been to Canberra in winter mate? :( I Might be hanging on to that fairing for another couple of months [8)]

A decent set of flat bars are definitely on the early order list, dunno if I'm that fussed on the standard body work sans fairing though, so might have to look into a new tank and seat unit. Anybody know where I can get some B-king livery for it? ;)[}:)]

Tony Nitrous
30-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Remove Fairing,
Remount new lights,

Remove Engine,
Insert ZZR1100 lump,
(with a nice 4 into 1)

Bin the huuuuge rear guard and ugly indicators,

Start looking for GSXR / ZXR USD front end,
with a new top yolk to take bars,
and a fat rear wheel to match the front.

That would be a start.
(but seeing as im still riding a near stock bike after being here 12 months you should probabley not listen to me!)

Tony
04 Busa (but on the lookout for a "project")

Tony Nitrous
30-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Remove Fairing,
Remount new lights,

Remove Engine,
Insert ZZR1100 lump,
(with a nice 4 into 1)

Bin the huuuuge rear guard and ugly indicators,

Start looking for GSXR / ZXR USD front end,
with a new top yolk to take bars,
and a fat rear wheel to match the front.

That would be a start.
(but seeing as im still riding a near stock bike after being here 12 months you should probabley not listen to me!)

Tony
04 Busa (but on the lookout for a "project")

31-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Picked up the bike today, and it's s good as it looks.

Had to collect it from Sussex Inlet though, which took all day to get there and back with a trailer. Did go through Kangaroo Valley though, which is always good.

85'
Very Good Condition
$1000

Tempting to keep this one as is, and get a GSX11 for a project bike, the price I paid for the GPz I can afford both.

31-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Picked up the bike today, and it's s good as it looks.

Had to collect it from Sussex Inlet though, which took all day to get there and back with a trailer. Did go through Kangaroo Valley though, which is always good.

85'
Very Good Condition
$1000

Tempting to keep this one as is, and get a GSX11 for a project bike, the price I paid for the GPz I can afford both.

Gix11
31-07-2005, 11:42 PM
What? As a collectors piece you mean? Not a bad idea mate. If your going to throw money at a fighter go the big CC anyway. The GSX sounds like a better idea....

Gix11
31-07-2005, 11:42 PM
What? As a collectors piece you mean? Not a bad idea mate. If your going to throw money at a fighter go the big CC anyway. The GSX sounds like a better idea....

01-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah my preference is the big Suzuki air-cooleds.

But the jeepz goes hard too :), and as long as I don't bin it it'll make a good collector.

01-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah my preference is the big Suzuki air-cooleds.

But the jeepz goes hard too :), and as long as I don't bin it it'll make a good collector.

BOHEMION
01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I rekon a Triumph Daytona 650 seat unit would suit that tank very nicely, would make it look very stealthy. Maybe try cutting the front fairing so you have a nice custom belly pan, The rest of the plastic though , Bin it. Maybe a high, under seat exhaust trick up and a single swing arm??? ANd a crazy head light set to suit the Daytona Seat unit. Thats what I personally would do.
Oh and some nice Chunky forks
Have fun with it Bud. Post up pics as you go along:D

BOHEMION
01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I rekon a Triumph Daytona 650 seat unit would suit that tank very nicely, would make it look very stealthy. Maybe try cutting the front fairing so you have a nice custom belly pan, The rest of the plastic though , Bin it. Maybe a high, under seat exhaust trick up and a single swing arm??? ANd a crazy head light set to suit the Daytona Seat unit. Thats what I personally would do.
Oh and some nice Chunky forks
Have fun with it Bud. Post up pics as you go along:D

01-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I'll have to check out that seat mate.

Actually a mate was going on about chunky forks last night.

He reckons the go is ......wait for it........Electraglide triple clamps[V]!!!! Apparently they have adjustable rake.

I was thinking about making up a polished alloy plate to go between the triple trees attached to the forks, in the shape of an Iron Cross(Anybody for a bit of Laibach/Einsterzende?[8D]), and flush-fit high-intensity compact lights into the design.

Clean AND chunky.

But then again, I could be a right stirrer and fit Katana body work to it :D [}:)] [:p] ;) [V] :D

01-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I'll have to check out that seat mate.

Actually a mate was going on about chunky forks last night.

He reckons the go is ......wait for it........Electraglide triple clamps[V]!!!! Apparently they have adjustable rake.

I was thinking about making up a polished alloy plate to go between the triple trees attached to the forks, in the shape of an Iron Cross(Anybody for a bit of Laibach/Einsterzende?[8D]), and flush-fit high-intensity compact lights into the design.

Clean AND chunky.

But then again, I could be a right stirrer and fit Katana body work to it :D [}:)] [:p] ;) [V] :D

ozkat
01-08-2005, 06:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

may god strike you down with a lightining bolt for even thinking such a blasphemous thought. Blasphemer!! and everyone knows it highly illegal to fit sacred Katana bodywork to anything other than a Suzuki. ill say 100 hail marys for you so god may take mercy on your soul. Our Suzuki who art in heaven Katana be thy name (you should know the rest) Poor misguided chalk10 REPENT YOUR SINS. All will be forgivin if you promise to never ever have such evil thoughts again. i think i need a lie down, im feeling a bit faint.

ozkat
01-08-2005, 06:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

may god strike you down with a lightining bolt for even thinking such a blasphemous thought. Blasphemer!! and everyone knows it highly illegal to fit sacred Katana bodywork to anything other than a Suzuki. ill say 100 hail marys for you so god may take mercy on your soul. Our Suzuki who art in heaven Katana be thy name (you should know the rest) Poor misguided chalk10 REPENT YOUR SINS. All will be forgivin if you promise to never ever have such evil thoughts again. i think i need a lie down, im feeling a bit faint.

01-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Gudday OZ, wondered how long it would take :)

Never fear, I would never be so sacra... sacrila.....sicrala.... suuch a cnt :)

Instead I'm gonna put the GPz body work onto a Kat :)

01-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Gudday OZ, wondered how long it would take :)

Never fear, I would never be so sacra... sacrila.....sicrala.... suuch a cnt :)

Instead I'm gonna put the GPz body work onto a Kat :)

01-08-2005, 07:41 PM
OK Perhaps not.

That Triumph seat unit would look the piece though, especially with the rear jacked up, a JMC swing-arm, lay flat digital guages / idiot lights, flat bars with bar end mirrors and indicators, and a big chunky USD front-end.

By the way, has anyone heard much about a fairly new hydro blasting process, which produces an oil-proof polish? I was thinking about doing the wheels.

01-08-2005, 07:41 PM
OK Perhaps not.

That Triumph seat unit would look the piece though, especially with the rear jacked up, a JMC swing-arm, lay flat digital guages / idiot lights, flat bars with bar end mirrors and indicators, and a big chunky USD front-end.

By the way, has anyone heard much about a fairly new hydro blasting process, which produces an oil-proof polish? I was thinking about doing the wheels.

01-08-2005, 11:39 PM
electraglide says it all. slap yourself Chalk,bunnings also sells an adjustable rake/fork.but ya wouldn't strap that on ya byke

01-08-2005, 11:39 PM
electraglide says it all. slap yourself Chalk,bunnings also sells an adjustable rake/fork.but ya wouldn't strap that on ya byke

02-08-2005, 09:03 AM
**SLAP** **SLAP**

OOOOhhhhh I feel better now, thanks for that Davo :)

I hereby solemnly swear that I will never talk about putting slugley bits on my bike again. :)

02-08-2005, 09:03 AM
**SLAP** **SLAP**

OOOOhhhhh I feel better now, thanks for that Davo :)

I hereby solemnly swear that I will never talk about putting slugley bits on my bike again. :)

BOHEMION
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah mate, I'm looking at that seat myself for a future project- Called up my local Triumph dealer and the pricing isnt that bad for an unpainted unit, Brand new.

BOHEMION
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah mate, I'm looking at that seat myself for a future project- Called up my local Triumph dealer and the pricing isnt that bad for an unpainted unit, Brand new.

02-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah I'll be waiting till I've sorted out a frame first, either a braced stocker or an aftermarket kit even, before buying a seat. And I better get another contract to pay for it all.

(I can see Ash and Tony taking the piss big time if I buy an English kit:)

02-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah I'll be waiting till I've sorted out a frame first, either a braced stocker or an aftermarket kit even, before buying a seat. And I better get another contract to pay for it all.

(I can see Ash and Tony taking the piss big time if I buy an English kit:)

01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Waahayhayhayhay

Finally got the Geepz stripped and back on the road. Took it for it's first shake down today, and don't it make a difference. Playing in the traffic is so much more fun AND FASTER[:p].The front end really wants to point at the sky a lot more now when launcing, or perhaps I'm just launching faster because I can hang on properly now[^], but definitely had to lean right forward to keep the front down at times[}:)].

The new idiot lights work great, even in strong direct sunlight. The new mirrors are a bit blurry, well, the one that is left is, the other one is now at the bottom of Cotter Ravine[xx(], did a lovely impression of racing me through a nice tight corner (scared the living shit out of me actually, I didn't realise what it was but a big chunk of metal came up the inside of me on a fucking tight left hander[:o)]) Ah well at least it didn't take the indicator and adaptor with it, and with only one mirror it looks even lower across the top now[8D].

Have to take a bit of care with throwing the bike around too, it's so much easier with the new bars that I nearly throw it straight down.[:I]

Have got a coil breking down (I think) so didn't really go much over 200 (In fact 205.1 according to my bicycle speedo[}:)]) but that's not too bad since I didn't actually go out of town:D. Wind buffeting at speeds over 180 is pretty serious though, my highway jacket balloons big time, I look like that chick with the belly button:(.

Brakes are definitely on the to do list, along with coils and dynajet. This week I'm going to get the bars widened by 4 inches, and look at moving them a couple of centimetres forward and down, and maybe some rearsets.

01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Waahayhayhayhay

Finally got the Geepz stripped and back on the road. Took it for it's first shake down today, and don't it make a difference. Playing in the traffic is so much more fun AND FASTER[:p].The front end really wants to point at the sky a lot more now when launcing, or perhaps I'm just launching faster because I can hang on properly now[^], but definitely had to lean right forward to keep the front down at times[}:)].

The new idiot lights work great, even in strong direct sunlight. The new mirrors are a bit blurry, well, the one that is left is, the other one is now at the bottom of Cotter Ravine[xx(], did a lovely impression of racing me through a nice tight corner (scared the living shit out of me actually, I didn't realise what it was but a big chunk of metal came up the inside of me on a fucking tight left hander[:o)]) Ah well at least it didn't take the indicator and adaptor with it, and with only one mirror it looks even lower across the top now[8D].

Have to take a bit of care with throwing the bike around too, it's so much easier with the new bars that I nearly throw it straight down.[:I]

Have got a coil breking down (I think) so didn't really go much over 200 (In fact 205.1 according to my bicycle speedo[}:)]) but that's not too bad since I didn't actually go out of town:D. Wind buffeting at speeds over 180 is pretty serious though, my highway jacket balloons big time, I look like that chick with the belly button:(.

Brakes are definitely on the to do list, along with coils and dynajet. This week I'm going to get the bars widened by 4 inches, and look at moving them a couple of centimetres forward and down, and maybe some rearsets.

chopaweeza
02-10-2005, 06:00 AM
GPZ1000RX carbs, ZZR600 wheels & forks(a simple & almost straight swap over), some fold away pillion pegs(like on the CBR250)and a new sub frame area to take something a little different in the seat area. Just my 2 cents worth.

chopaweeza
02-10-2005, 06:00 AM
GPZ1000RX carbs, ZZR600 wheels & forks(a simple & almost straight swap over), some fold away pillion pegs(like on the CBR250)and a new sub frame area to take something a little different in the seat area. Just my 2 cents worth.

02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks mate, any particular ZZR6 model?
I was actually planning on cutting away the current rear peg mounts, and run a muffler up through there. No pegs no pillions :).

The seat can wait for now.

02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks mate, any particular ZZR6 model?
I was actually planning on cutting away the current rear peg mounts, and run a muffler up through there. No pegs no pillions :).

The seat can wait for now.

chopaweeza
03-10-2005, 06:33 AM
From memory models up to 98/99 should fit. The mod looks good. The front end is an almost straight swap over with the steering stops possibly need re-positioning on the frame.Not sure about the gauges tho. With the rear a cheat is to measure the distance between the swingarm at the axle on both bikes and then measure the offset of the sprocket as well. This is a cheats way with Kwakas that should put you rear on the money. If the axle diameters are different you just have to either have it machined or sleeved to fit.Good Luck.

chopaweeza
03-10-2005, 06:33 AM
From memory models up to 98/99 should fit. The mod looks good. The front end is an almost straight swap over with the steering stops possibly need re-positioning on the frame.Not sure about the gauges tho. With the rear a cheat is to measure the distance between the swingarm at the axle on both bikes and then measure the offset of the sprocket as well. This is a cheats way with Kwakas that should put you rear on the money. If the axle diameters are different you just have to either have it machined or sleeved to fit.Good Luck.