PDA

View Full Version : Painting Frames/Rebuilding Bike

AndyMac
21-07-2005, 11:19 AM
When you guys are going to paint up a frame, are you powdercoating them ?

How long would it take to dis-assamble and then re-assemble a average bike ?

Gix11
21-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I personally polished my 1100 by hand. As for the 7/11, that was powder coated black. If your not planning to do any subframe mods then powder coating is the way to go. If you are planning to do subframe mods in the future don't bother. As far as stripping the bike down, keep a good eye on where you wiring goes and get some diagrams happening. A total strip down depends on your knowledge and capability. I'd allow a full day for the job if it was me.

Gix11
21-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I personally polished my 1100 by hand. As for the 7/11, that was powder coated black. If your not planning to do any subframe mods then powder coating is the way to go. If you are planning to do subframe mods in the future don't bother. As far as stripping the bike down, keep a good eye on where you wiring goes and get some diagrams happening. A total strip down depends on your knowledge and capability. I'd allow a full day for the job if it was me.

AndyMac
21-07-2005, 11:35 AM
I race 2 stroke karts, I'm pretty capable of pulling one of those down and rebuilding. Assisted in few engine conversions/upgrade... I'm hoping I can do...I'll learn.

I'm more worried about being caught out in the middle of something and not having some special tools common to bikes.

AndyMac
21-07-2005, 11:35 AM
I race 2 stroke karts, I'm pretty capable of pulling one of those down and rebuilding. Assisted in few engine conversions/upgrade... I'm hoping I can do...I'll learn.

I'm more worried about being caught out in the middle of something and not having some special tools common to bikes.

Gix11
21-07-2005, 12:04 PM
That will all depend on the bike. Try and get hold of a service / bike manual to show you how all the parts of the bike are dismantled etc. I have come across a few things that supposedly need a special OEM tool along the way, but you can easily fabricate or substitute it with something of you own. The swingarm pivot arm bolts are usually where this comes into play.... A few guys on here do it for a living so they can tell you.

Gix11
21-07-2005, 12:04 PM
That will all depend on the bike. Try and get hold of a service / bike manual to show you how all the parts of the bike are dismantled etc. I have come across a few things that supposedly need a special OEM tool along the way, but you can easily fabricate or substitute it with something of you own. The swingarm pivot arm bolts are usually where this comes into play.... A few guys on here do it for a living so they can tell you.

21-07-2005, 01:14 PM
The Haynes manuals carry a list of the special tools required for the particular bike, plus wiring & wiring path diagrams, bodywork diagrams etc.

Can't stress the importance of getting the manual though, the best value tool in your kit.

21-07-2005, 01:14 PM
The Haynes manuals carry a list of the special tools required for the particular bike, plus wiring & wiring path diagrams, bodywork diagrams etc.

Can't stress the importance of getting the manual though, the best value tool in your kit.

Tony Nitrous
21-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Digital Camera.
Take lots of pics from all angles as you pull it down.
Even if you only look at one pic on the PC/TV to show which way a loom / clip / cable / anything went it will be worth it.
All go's well, delete all pics from memory card.

Cost... ? Nothing.

Just a thought.

Tony.

Tony Nitrous
21-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Digital Camera.
Even if you only look at one pic on the PC/TV to show which way a loom / clip / cable / anything went it will be worth it.

Cost... ? Nothing.

Just a thought.

Tony.

21-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Haynes is my bible, ive had to build clutch holding tools in the past which only cost $6.50 thanks to Haynes,as oposed to a mere $285 for the genuine Suzi tool. Ive red my bible cover to cover at least 6 times an still learn somthing every time i open it.Best book ive red.

21-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Haynes is my bible, ive had to build clutch holding tools in the past which only cost $6.50 thanks to Haynes,as oposed to a mere $285 for the genuine Suzi tool. Ive red my bible cover to cover at least 6 times an still learn somthing every time i open it.Best book ive red.

BOHEMION
22-07-2005, 12:06 AM
i used to powder coat my KDX, Just used a cheap Matt black as the powder coat on the frame let it set then out came the gloss and she stuck well and evenly. thats the cheap and quick way of doing it would only do this wit a frame though no body parts or tanks, take ya time with those.

BOHEMION
22-07-2005, 12:06 AM
i used to powder coat my KDX, Just used a cheap Matt black as the powder coat on the frame let it set then out came the gloss and she stuck well and evenly. thats the cheap and quick way of doing it would only do this wit a frame though no body parts or tanks, take ya time with those.

crazymofo
23-07-2005, 12:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Digital Camera.

Cost... ? Nothing.

Just a thought.

Tony.

+1 on that!!

makes life so much easier in reassembly especially if you have a long running project spanned over a few months/years...

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
23-07-2005, 12:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Digital Camera.

Cost... ? Nothing.

Just a thought.

Tony.

+1 on that!!

makes life so much easier in reassembly especially if you have a long running project spanned over a few months/years...

cheers.joe.

cjburns esq
05-09-2005, 04:59 PM
If you get your frame sand blasted make sure they use wallnut shell for it as it's softer and does no damage.
I two packed my Katana frame in 1987 and it's still great, hard as nails.

cjburns esq
05-09-2005, 04:59 PM
If you get your frame sand blasted make sure they use wallnut shell for it as it's softer and does no damage.
I two packed my Katana frame in 1987 and it's still great, hard as nails.