PDA

View Full Version : busted second gear methinks....

Coconuts
21-06-2005, 12:03 PM
hey all, long time no post :D

been off the road for some time now and i'm about to get an 86 1100 registered while i continue to work on the ZXR750 fighter. i've gone and resprayed it, cleaned it up, given it a service and its all looking/sounding pretty sweet..... till i took it for a bit of a spin [}:)]

i've only ridden it up and down the street a bit so i never noticed this, but second gear just seems to pop out whenever i pop it in. even if i really crack it up and hold it, it'll still pop out 80% of the time when i give it some stick. so with my limited knowledge with the internals of a bikes motor/box, i've pretty much written it off as MUNTED [xx(]

i know theres a HEAP of guys here that are right into the old oil boilers, so what better place to ask some advice on them eh (even tho this one isn't a fighter). what do you guys think might be the best course of action here? do i go and get it fixed, and if so, any ideas at all on costs? do i buy a second hand motor and slap that in, again, any ideas on a price range? or do i ride it for a month or two while i get the ZXR ready and then sell it to someone that knows a bit more than i do? and then, whats a fair kinda price for something like this? its in pretty decent condition aside from the box, done around 80,000 for a memory but life doesn't seem to have been too hard on it, just that gear is all but missing.....

decisions, decisions [?]

chadams
21-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Coconuts, it is pretty common when abusing gsxr11/rf900 to bend the fork selector for second gear, which will cause it to come out of gear. Best option is to take the motor out of the frame, flip it and take out the gears. It would be a great time to get a service manual and get friendly with your local bike wrecker. Inspect the parts and replace as required. Once fixed factory pro reckons their Trans Detent Arm Kit, greatly reduces the chance of this happening again..
http://66.47.68.116/products/shift.html

chadams
21-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Coconuts, it is pretty common when abusing gsxr11/rf900 to bend the fork selector for second gear, which will cause it to come out of gear. Best option is to take the motor out of the frame, flip it and take out the gears. It would be a great time to get a service manual and get friendly with your local bike wrecker. Inspect the parts and replace as required. Once fixed factory pro reckons their Trans Detent Arm Kit, greatly reduces the chance of this happening again..
http://66.47.68.116/products/shift.html

Coconuts
22-06-2005, 01:09 PM
yeah, seems to be the common theory with most ppls; bent fork - fix it yaself. unfortunately, i'm out of time and money, need a bike in a week and a half so i can ride again after a year long absence (and no, putting it off is NOT an option lol)

if anyone has an idea on what a bike in this condtion is worth, i'd appreciate the advice. and if you're interested (wink wink) or know someone that might be, that'd be even better :D kinda need to sell it in a hurry if i'm gunna be on the road for the big day....

Coconuts
22-06-2005, 01:09 PM
yeah, seems to be the common theory with most ppls; bent fork - fix it yaself. unfortunately, i'm out of time and money, need a bike in a week and a half so i can ride again after a year long absence (and no, putting it off is NOT an option lol)

if anyone has an idea on what a bike in this condtion is worth, i'd appreciate the advice. and if you're interested (wink wink) or know someone that might be, that'd be even better :D kinda need to sell it in a hurry if i'm gunna be on the road for the big day....

22-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Let me know what you want for it.

I'm in the market at the moment (although I'm more of an air-cooled dinosaur man normally)

Which part of the country are you in?

22-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Let me know what you want for it.

I'm in the market at the moment (although I'm more of an air-cooled dinosaur man normally)

Which part of the country are you in?

Coconuts
22-06-2005, 01:49 PM
hehe, that'll help eh

Keysborough, near dandenong in victoria

welcome to come and have a look if your interested, and i can post some pics once i get the camera onto it.

like i said there tho, i'm not really sure what its worth in this condition. i've seen them selling around the $3-5k mark depending on condition, but NFI what its worth with a potentially exxy gearbox issue. currently asking around the traps to see what ppls think, i dont wanna rip anyone off, but at the same time, i want as good a replacement as i can get.

Coconuts
22-06-2005, 01:49 PM
hehe, that'll help eh

Keysborough, near dandenong in victoria

welcome to come and have a look if your interested, and i can post some pics once i get the camera onto it.

like i said there tho, i'm not really sure what its worth in this condition. i've seen them selling around the $3-5k mark depending on condition, but NFI what its worth with a potentially exxy gearbox issue. currently asking around the traps to see what ppls think, i dont wanna rip anyone off, but at the same time, i want as good a replacement as i can get.

25-06-2005, 12:50 AM
bent selector is common but aint that hard to fix.only worth 2.5 large as is an Dyno is lookin 4 1.[:0]

25-06-2005, 12:50 AM
bent selector is common but aint that hard to fix.only worth 2.5 large as is an Dyno is lookin 4 1.[:0]

Coconuts
25-06-2005, 11:06 AM
yeah, i kinda figured 2.5 was about fair after a few ppls on other sites have told me its worth more [:0] and i've had a mate offer me an 85 750 for 2 thats all working, tho looking a little ratty, so that might be my ticket [8D]

i'll pop it up in the for sale section, might work out well for me :D

cheers for the help ;)

Coconuts
25-06-2005, 11:06 AM
yeah, i kinda figured 2.5 was about fair after a few ppls on other sites have told me its worth more [:0] and i've had a mate offer me an 85 750 for 2 thats all working, tho looking a little ratty, so that might be my ticket [8D]

i'll pop it up in the for sale section, might work out well for me :D

cheers for the help ;)

restoride
22-08-2005, 01:09 AM
hell yeah coconuts, if you keep an 85 750 tight, you can keep up with anyone, those things weigh like 178kgs (minus alterations) and can be provoked to very close to a 1:1 power to weight. mine does tend to get speed wobbles though, which i am told is common to all of them. i think its the wheel design being a bit flexi. price is about right too, id say, at least by adelaide standards.

g'luck

restoride
22-08-2005, 01:09 AM
hell yeah coconuts, if you keep an 85 750 tight, you can keep up with anyone, those things weigh like 178kgs (minus alterations) and can be provoked to very close to a 1:1 power to weight. mine does tend to get speed wobbles though, which i am told is common to all of them. i think its the wheel design being a bit flexi. price is about right too, id say, at least by adelaide standards.

g'luck

22-08-2005, 08:37 AM
You do not have a bent fork coco.Where 2nd drops into 5th because it spins faster the dog edges get rounded off so when under power it tends to "pop" out.replace 2nd driven & while u in there do 3rd it will have no hard face left.I have a whole cluster if you wont it.87 1100

22-08-2005, 08:37 AM
You do not have a bent fork coco.Where 2nd drops into 5th because it spins faster the dog edges get rounded off so when under power it tends to "pop" out.replace 2nd driven & while u in there do 3rd it will have no hard face left.I have a whole cluster if you wont it.87 1100

restoride
23-08-2005, 12:46 AM
edit: no where near 1:1 power to weight, my bad math.[:I] unless you have $1200 for tuning

also I hear 2nd gear failing is a common thing with gixxers.

restoride
23-08-2005, 12:46 AM
edit: no where near 1:1 power to weight, my bad math.[:I] unless you have $1200 for tuning

also I hear 2nd gear failing is a common thing with gixxers.

23-08-2005, 08:48 AM
You'll need more than $1200 dollars to get 178 ponies out of an early GSXR750 motor sonny.

23-08-2005, 08:48 AM
You'll need more than $1200 dollars to get 178 ponies out of an early GSXR750 motor sonny.

restoride
24-08-2005, 11:21 PM
typo... yeah...read 12000000000 etc
you always keepin an eye out for me chalk

restoride
24-08-2005, 11:21 PM
typo... yeah...read 12000000000 etc
you always keepin an eye out for me chalk

25-08-2005, 07:23 PM
IF there is one thing I FUCKN detest is a FUCKN wanka,with no cred nor IDEA.
If i`m gonna suck on anyfing,it`ll be the air at 300klp.

25-08-2005, 07:23 PM
IF there is one thing I FUCKN detest is a FUCKN wanka,with no cred nor IDEA.
If i`m gonna suck on anyfing,it`ll be the air at 300klp.