PDA

View Full Version : cough hack bang

dinorider
20-06-2005, 10:44 PM
got trouble with the old gs 1100,starts fine,runs fine with a little throttle,then when i open her up she coughs and farts and backfires.think it may be either the fuel tap or a needle and seat (leanout backfire).can anyone help here as i may be barking up the wrong tree.hoping its not coils thats all.hey mundy can you help me!rexy said your the one to ask[:I]

24-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah mate:)drop da carbs & clean the bastard`s;)Have ya just WASHED it [?] Suzuki on some models,have the CDI jacks facing toward PACAL VOTAN(up!)

24-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah mate:)drop da carbs & clean the bastard`s;)Have ya just WASHED it [?] Suzuki on some models,have the CDI jacks facing toward PACAL VOTAN(up!)

dinorider
06-07-2005, 10:27 AM
still having dramas and took the bike to a propper bike shop who relieved me of some folding stuff then told me it is a carb problem.trouble is when i took the aircleaner box off and crack the throttle it has the same amount of juice (approx) shooting down its throat as the others.thanks for your info and i think it is actually the cdi unit is a bit cactus.will try to stay in touch even though telstra has chopped our phone and internet line and wont fix it for a month or so (the rotten bastards)using public library and effen hard to book in here.

dinorider
06-07-2005, 10:27 AM
still having dramas and took the bike to a propper bike shop who relieved me of some folding stuff then told me it is a carb problem.trouble is when i took the aircleaner box off and crack the throttle it has the same amount of juice (approx) shooting down its throat as the others.thanks for your info and i think it is actually the cdi unit is a bit cactus.will try to stay in touch even though telstra has chopped our phone and internet line and wont fix it for a month or so (the rotten bastards)using public library and effen hard to book in here.

Benz
06-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I've got a gsx1100 katana motor in a dragbike that does the same thing. It will run fine until it's under load, then misfires. I have replaced the carbs, [twice!] no better, then replaced the coils, and the igniter box, still having the same problems.
I was on a website where some dude was having the same problems, every answer was to fix the carbs , until one guy said he found the problem was his transducers, or pickup coils. He said his 1100 would run fine until it heated up, then misfired, backfiring through the exhaust. The problem was his pickup coils, once hot, would send erratic signals to the coils/igniter box, resulting in the misfire. I am hoping he is right, because for me this is the only option left, apart from possible broken valvesprings, or tight clearances on a coupla exhaust valves.I doubt these options, as it revs cleanly, when not under load.
Change your two ignition pickups, and see what happens.If you have a mechanical advancer on your motor,Dyna triggers are supposed to be the answer, and you can do away with the igniter.
It could also be[in your case at least] too much fuel....if it starts easily without any choke, that's a sign of richness. My gixxer 1100 streetfighter would start easily cold, but would choke and misfire at about 6k, but had a heap of low-end grunt. I changed the 135 mains to 122.5 mains,[36mm mikuniCV's, from '96 gsx750F] lost a little bottom end, but now it will pull cleanly to the limiter. I have gained some of the bottom end back by turning the idle fuel adjuster out another 3/4 of a turn. It will not start without choke, but runs fun otherwise.Hope this helps.....[8D]
Good luck

Benz
06-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I've got a gsx1100 katana motor in a dragbike that does the same thing. It will run fine until it's under load, then misfires. I have replaced the carbs, [twice!] no better, then replaced the coils, and the igniter box, still having the same problems.
I was on a website where some dude was having the same problems, every answer was to fix the carbs , until one guy said he found the problem was his transducers, or pickup coils. He said his 1100 would run fine until it heated up, then misfired, backfiring through the exhaust. The problem was his pickup coils, once hot, would send erratic signals to the coils/igniter box, resulting in the misfire. I am hoping he is right, because for me this is the only option left, apart from possible broken valvesprings, or tight clearances on a coupla exhaust valves.I doubt these options, as it revs cleanly, when not under load.
Change your two ignition pickups, and see what happens.If you have a mechanical advancer on your motor,Dyna triggers are supposed to be the answer, and you can do away with the igniter.
It could also be[in your case at least] too much fuel....if it starts easily without any choke, that's a sign of richness. My gixxer 1100 streetfighter would start easily cold, but would choke and misfire at about 6k, but had a heap of low-end grunt. I changed the 135 mains to 122.5 mains,[36mm mikuniCV's, from '96 gsx750F] lost a little bottom end, but now it will pull cleanly to the limiter. I have gained some of the bottom end back by turning the idle fuel adjuster out another 3/4 of a turn. It will not start without choke, but runs fun otherwise.Hope this helps.....[8D]
Good luck

dinorider
11-07-2005, 03:09 PM
scored a pair of used gsx coils and problem solved.thing is i took the original coils to the local bike shop and they tested them on their genuine suzuki coil tester and they looked fine.thing is under load like when you crack it open they can`t sustain the spark.had the same problem with my old xu1 torana as she was sucking so much fuel into the cylinder it was washing out the spark.massive coil (115,000 volts)sorted it out.that shows how important good spark is and if you mod your donk easy power and torque can be gained by fitting fat coils.

dinorider
11-07-2005, 03:09 PM
scored a pair of used gsx coils and problem solved.thing is i took the original coils to the local bike shop and they tested them on their genuine suzuki coil tester and they looked fine.thing is under load like when you crack it open they can`t sustain the spark.had the same problem with my old xu1 torana as she was sucking so much fuel into the cylinder it was washing out the spark.massive coil (115,000 volts)sorted it out.that shows how important good spark is and if you mod your donk easy power and torque can be gained by fitting fat coils.

loosebruce
31-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Had a similar thing with my gs1000s was still running Ok but was fouling lots of plugs.
Changed the coils and caps,now she is a different bike.Brand new EMGO(I think)coils $80 ea at A1 bikewreckers Canberra. Ive still got half an icecream container of plugs used over a couple of years.

loosebruce
31-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Had a similar thing with my gs1000s was still running Ok but was fouling lots of plugs.
Changed the coils and caps,now she is a different bike.Brand new EMGO(I think)coils $80 ea at A1 bikewreckers Canberra. Ive still got half an icecream container of plugs used over a couple of years.

01-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Gudday Loose

Where abouts in the ACT region do you ride?

I'm out Weston way myself.

01-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Gudday Loose

Where abouts in the ACT region do you ride?

I'm out Weston way myself.

loosebruce
02-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Hello Chalky I'm in Kambah.
Give me a hoy if you want to go for a spin.

loosebruce
02-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Hello Chalky I'm in Kambah.
Give me a hoy if you want to go for a spin.

02-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Done mate,

I'll be registering my bike by Friday, and I have Sundays free.

02-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Done mate,

I'll be registering my bike by Friday, and I have Sundays free.

Gix11
02-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Alright. Now the ACT chapter begins! Remember guys, pics, and Chalky, get your shirt on mate!

Gix11
02-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Alright. Now the ACT chapter begins! Remember guys, pics, and Chalky, get your shirt on mate!

02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Got shirt and digital camera, so we's sweet.

02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Got shirt and digital camera, so we's sweet.

10-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Hey Loose, you interested in a ride to narranderra on the 3 Sept?

One of the other guys is running his GS in the drags down there.

Probably go down and back in one day

10-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Hey Loose, you interested in a ride to narranderra on the 3 Sept?

One of the other guys is running his GS in the drags down there.

Probably go down and back in one day

loosebruce
11-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Howya goin' Chalky?
Sounds good mate, but I have to work.
Need fundage for the gearbox on the 11, so it's off to work I go hi ho.
(Can't whistle in text).:)

loosebruce
11-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Howya goin' Chalky?
Sounds good mate, but I have to work.
Need fundage for the gearbox on the 11, so it's off to work I go hi ho.
(Can't whistle in text).:)