PDA

View Full Version : BENT FORK

Deano
30-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Assembled the front end the other day after putting in new head stem bearings. All was going well until I bolted on the rightside caliper. the bloody wheel wouldn't turn - the right fork must have a nearly unnoticable bow in it because when I twisted the fork in the yokes the caliper moved outward slightly it stopped pressing the brake disc.

I have heard that forks can be straightened by the likes of Bob Martin Eng and the like but how sucessful is this.

Do you guyes think it is a problem that should be fixed (forks seem to work fine) or should I just leave it
thanks

30-05-2005, 06:33 PM
sounds bent mate,check 4 piston binding 1st,then take er 4 a spin,failin that

30-05-2005, 06:36 PM
nok r down and wak it on dial guage or piece of float glass,this wl answer qestion.

30-05-2005, 07:52 PM
What's the bike?

Deano
31-05-2005, 12:46 PM
its a 94 GSXR 750 (see "your rides") brakes seem fine. when I brought the bike the front wheel resembled pacman and the headstem had a huge bend in it at the top bearing so I wouldn't be surprised that the forks have a slight bend in them.

31-05-2005, 10:21 PM
yes mate,a bent head unit definately means bent forx,thats how they'r design'd.check ebay for a replacement coz strightening will surely cost more.or c who can help you here,ya might just find a bargain.
cheers ;)

01-06-2005, 12:02 AM
an also mate,bent head stem also sounds seriously fuked.xray will confirm,but most engineers capable of this will advise write off.much dollars 2 put it on the alligner so be prepared 2 spend up big time.much cheaper 4 new frame.

Deano
01-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Got a quote to straighten forks $110 per leg.
frame seems ok, rides straight and tips in fine both ways. it was the stem in the lower yoke that was rooted. will whip em out soon and put the dial gauge on em.

crazymofo
03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
kellet engineering in brisbane do, frame straighting to better then factory tolerences for around 350, they also do fork legs for around 35 per side... i know! cos ive just had my frame straightend by them, top job they do. and if i didnt go the gsxr front end, i would have got the forks done too.

i had them straighten out the left rear set, the frame in 2 places and re-align the whole bike again. all up it was 400 bucks. she now rides better then before the accident!

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
kellet engineering in brisbane do, frame straighting to better then factory tolerences for around 350, they also do fork legs for around 35 per side... i know! cos ive just had my frame straightend by them, top job they do. and if i didnt go the gsxr front end, i would have got the forks done too.

i had them straighten out the left rear set, the frame in 2 places and re-align the whole bike again. all up it was 400 bucks. she now rides better then before the accident!

cheers.joe.

Deano
05-07-2005, 05:55 PM
well the saga continues

after pulling out the forks sent them to Bob Martin Eng they pulled them down and told me that i had a 1.5mm bend in the outer of the right fork a 1.00mm bend in the inner of the right fork and a .25mm bend in the outer of the left fork (inner ok).
well after been quoted $110 per leg i was then told that outers are $140 each and inners $110
so $390 later i got back a pair of straight forks.
installed the forks and after about a 5 minute ride ended up with more oil outside the fork than inside.
pulled the forks apart and the seals looked like they had been banged into the forks with a screwdriver.
A new set of seals later and some fork oil and all is good.
i decided to have a word with the guyes at BME and they say you don;t get new fork seals unless you ask for them!
but they werent a bad bunch of guyes as they straightened a warped disc free of charge for the misunderstanding.

Deano
05-07-2005, 05:55 PM
well the saga continues

after pulling out the forks sent them to Bob Martin Eng they pulled them down and told me that i had a 1.5mm bend in the outer of the right fork a 1.00mm bend in the inner of the right fork and a .25mm bend in the outer of the left fork (inner ok).
well after been quoted $110 per leg i was then told that outers are $140 each and inners $110
so $390 later i got back a pair of straight forks.
installed the forks and after about a 5 minute ride ended up with more oil outside the fork than inside.
pulled the forks apart and the seals looked like they had been banged into the forks with a screwdriver.
A new set of seals later and some fork oil and all is good.
i decided to have a word with the guyes at BME and they say you don;t get new fork seals unless you ask for them!
but they werent a bad bunch of guyes as they straightened a warped disc free of charge for the misunderstanding.

05-07-2005, 06:45 PM
i took my forx to racetech at southlakes a few years ago 4 sum beefed up springs and a full rebuild(i supplied all new parts an had the inners re-chromed)would av dun it myself but after spendin up big i decided to let the pro's do it coz didnt wanna scratch the new chrome.went to pick em up an took em home,looked at em in the sun an wadda ya know,hairline scratch's all over em.FUUUCK,YOU FUKIN COOOOOCK.decided to pull em down to see what else they'd fuked up.
1: springs had not been changed.
2: dampening rod lock nuts were not done up.
3: 35ml's diference between oil levels of each leg.
4: well didnt go any deeper so i'm not sure about 4.
I have no problem in sharing my experience with this fuckwit.his name is Chris an works at southlakes motorcycles(Racetech engineer apparently)on the central coast of N.S.W. he's an "A"grade wanker.

05-07-2005, 06:45 PM
i took my forx to racetech at southlakes a few years ago 4 sum beefed up springs and a full rebuild(i supplied all new parts an had the inners re-chromed)would av dun it myself but after spendin up big i decided to let the pro's do it coz didnt wanna scratch the new chrome.went to pick em up an took em home,looked at em in the sun an wadda ya know,hairline scratch's all over em.FUUUCK,YOU FUKIN COOOOOCK.decided to pull em down to see what else they'd fuked up.
1: springs had not been changed.
2: dampening rod lock nuts were not done up.
3: 35ml's diference between oil levels of each leg.
4: well didnt go any deeper so i'm not sure about 4.
I have no problem in sharing my experience with this fuckwit.his name is Chris an works at southlakes motorcycles(Racetech engineer apparently)on the central coast of N.S.W. he's an "A"grade wanker.

Deano
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
apperently you are ment to lightly scuff the chrome to help the seals to seal - so i am told.

Deano
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
apperently you are ment to lightly scuff the chrome to help the seals to seal - so i am told.

06-07-2005, 07:09 PM
yeah maybe, but shouldn,t that have been done around the circumfrence of the tube an not vertically up and down? to me it looked like a slide tube had gouged it when seating the seals.but maybe thats how its done,anyhow there was no excuse for not tightening the damper rod lock nuts to the cap bolt,one of the rods was only just hangin on by about 2mm of thread.[:0]

06-07-2005, 07:09 PM
yeah maybe, but shouldn,t that have been done around the circumfrence of the tube an not vertically up and down? to me it looked like a slide tube had gouged it when seating the seals.but maybe thats how its done,anyhow there was no excuse for not tightening the damper rod lock nuts to the cap bolt,one of the rods was only just hangin on by about 2mm of thread.[:0]

Deano
07-07-2005, 01:26 PM
it should roughly resemble a cross hatch pattern like a honed bore i think
but u are right still no excuse.

Deano
07-07-2005, 01:26 PM
it should roughly resemble a cross hatch pattern like a honed bore i think
but u are right still no excuse.