PDA

View Full Version : Extended throttle cables

FXInc
15-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Anyone know where I can get extended throttle cables for my 96 GSXR1100 street fighter?

Deano
15-04-2005, 09:46 AM
I just lengthened the originals. turned out to be the cheapest option. It isn't that difficult to do. let me now if you want details on how i did it

15-04-2005, 05:40 PM
run em` on the right hand side.standard should be long enough.just "Zip" tie em` so they dont rotate in the wind at high speed(under conrtolled conditions)

crazymofo
03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

I just lengthened the originals. turned out to be the cheapest option. It isn't that difficult to do. let me now if you want details on how i did it

hey hows it going, im building a 99 gsxf 750 up.
im trying to fit up a set of m/c bars and clamps to the gsxr front end conversion, im having the same prob.. throttle cable and clutch cables are too damn short. if you can post some details here on how you lengthened them, that would be great.

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

hey hows it going, im building a 99 gsxf 750 up.
im trying to fit up a set of m/c bars and clamps to the gsxr front end conversion, im having the same prob.. throttle cable and clutch cables are too damn short. if you can post some details here on how you lengthened them, that would be great.

cheers.joe.

Deano
06-07-2005, 01:46 PM
quite an easy job just a bit time consuming.
Go to a reputable bearing shop (like the one i work at) and you want some 15.00mm N6 (nylon rod)we sell it by the metre for about $10. while you are there get 25ml of 401 or 406 loctite adhesive (great stuff sticks anything)
then go to your best motorbike spare shop and they should have all the ends, outer sheathing and wire for cable making.
i then cut the old cable and added a bit of the new outer in and drilled a hole length ways in a 25mm lengh of the nylon the outer was a tight fit in the hole.
i then assembled the cable with the wire in it and used the glue to glue in the sheathing to the nylon so what you will end up with is you old cable with two pieces of nylon glued to the sheathing acting as joiners.
you will then just have to solder on the new ends to the new extended inner.
be careful were you cut the cables - cut the throttle and choke cables under the tank and the clutch cable down the side before the headstem (i then got some black heat shrink and put that over the joins in the clutch cable to make them less visable.
this may be a bit of a crude way of lenghting the cables but after 12months they are still going strong.
hope this helps
if you get stuck with the nylon i have left overs that i can send you

Deano
06-07-2005, 01:46 PM
quite an easy job just a bit time consuming.
Go to a reputable bearing shop (like the one i work at) and you want some 15.00mm N6 (nylon rod)we sell it by the metre for about $10. while you are there get 25ml of 401 or 406 loctite adhesive (great stuff sticks anything)
then go to your best motorbike spare shop and they should have all the ends, outer sheathing and wire for cable making.
i then cut the old cable and added a bit of the new outer in and drilled a hole length ways in a 25mm lengh of the nylon the outer was a tight fit in the hole.
i then assembled the cable with the wire in it and used the glue to glue in the sheathing to the nylon so what you will end up with is you old cable with two pieces of nylon glued to the sheathing acting as joiners.
you will then just have to solder on the new ends to the new extended inner.
be careful were you cut the cables - cut the throttle and choke cables under the tank and the clutch cable down the side before the headstem (i then got some black heat shrink and put that over the joins in the clutch cable to make them less visable.
this may be a bit of a crude way of lenghting the cables but after 12months they are still going strong.
hope this helps
if you get stuck with the nylon i have left overs that i can send you

crazymofo
07-07-2005, 06:32 PM
awesome stuff deano!

certainly beats the 200 odd for cables my local bike shop quoted me!!

thanks again bud!

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
07-07-2005, 06:32 PM
awesome stuff deano!

certainly beats the 200 odd for cables my local bike shop quoted me!!

thanks again bud!

cheers.joe.

damo1
07-07-2005, 09:10 PM
You could also just try and find a suzuki cable that is the length you need i went to the local bike shop with my old clutch cable with a rough idea of what i needed and walked out with a cable that fits perfectly and is still a honda part and brand new cables are only about $30.
My bike is a 95mod fireblade and i walked out with a 80mod cb900 clutch cable might be worth a try.
Good luck

damo1
07-07-2005, 09:10 PM
You could also just try and find a suzuki cable that is the length you need i went to the local bike shop with my old clutch cable with a rough idea of what i needed and walked out with a cable that fits perfectly and is still a honda part and brand new cables are only about $30.
My bike is a 95mod fireblade and i walked out with a 80mod cb900 clutch cable might be worth a try.
Good luck