PDA

View Full Version : Airbox mods?

J7-11
29-12-2004, 06:53 AM
About to put my airbox in for the last time, and was thinking of doing some airbox mods while I was there. Running the standard box with a K&N to retain rideabilty...

Been looking at where the air first comes into the box and there's a bellmouth there. Is there any advantage in removing this? I would have thought the benefits from intake shape would be stuff all since it's b4 the filter... or does this shape help to maintain a more constant pressure in the box?

What if I fabricated a bigger bellmouth to go on the outside? Turn one up out of ally or teflon?

What about finding a filter that will cover the entire back of the airbox, off a car or something?

Should I just leave it standard? I'm happy to sacrfice 1 or 2 hp for the sake of rideability (I can always lose a couple of kg if I'm that worried about it!)

Cheers, J

29-12-2004, 05:50 PM
J,if your filter is oval instead of flat u may be able to do wot i did on an OEM,sorry went out in da move.cut the bell out following the circumfrence with paralell just inside the sealing face.i then SIKA-FLEX`d some one way secrurity mesh (flutes facing down) alloy jionts or window maca`s stock it & used the mount holes to fix it.It worked to give better flow even in the wet!

J7-11
30-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Cheers mundy, will look at giving it a go if I have time... just been looking at all the work I still need to do b4 the 21st!