PDA

View Full Version : Hey...

11-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought i should make myself known. The names Mark and i've just recently raised interest in bikes, namely streetfighter bikes. I like the no-nonsense approach and the craziness that comes along with it!

Haven't got my licence but plan to get it soon. I can ride (if a lil crap) but one day hope to carry out some of the manouveres i see/hear from you guys! Quick question, any tips i should get whilst learning to ride (i.e. techniques in conering, control, etc?) and what would be a good bike to start off with (and maybe turn into a mini-streetfighter? hehehe :P)?

Look forward to learning more from everyone! Hope i can bring my enthusiasm for cars over to the two wheeled variety!

Cheers

Mark

Gix11
12-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey Mark. Good to see a young guy interested on here.
Mate, as far as tips go, we could give you loads but nothing counts as much as experience so stick at it and you'll be right.

As for small streetfighters, check out this little 125 from England, Anything can be done!

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/honda/darrens%20streetfighter.jpg

J7-11
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
VTR250's are a great learner bike, I've got one, have had it for a couple of years, it handles well, is capable of doing stunts (actually it's great for stoppies! :D), is light, easy to ride, cheap to run etc etc...

I know where there's a cheap one for sale soon too... ;)

Otherwise you could go Bandit/Hornet 250 which are cool little bikes, Hyosung make a learner legal 650 that takes about 1/2 an hour to de-restrict... Although they're kinda like the Hyundai of the bike world! Suzuki do a GS500 which could be a good base for a fighter, the frame is very reminiscent of Old Skool Gixers y see...

Whereabouts are you by the way? If you're in NSW I can give you a hand with whatever you need.

12-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys, yeh I am from Sydney. Close to the airport!

Hahaha that'll be mad to get some help getting started and getting tips and tricks...I basically just wanted to build my bike and then ride it. Wana learn all about the mechanics of a bike and the how things work.

Will definately be chasing up some of the bikes you pointed out...esp that VTR250 hehehe ;)

Thanks again guys! Cheers!

J7-11
13-11-2004, 08:11 AM
I'll have mine for sale in a couple of weeks, Black '99 model and I'll be honest with you, it's got 55,000kms on it, it's got a bit of cosmetic damage and had a bit of a hard life (a couple of trackdays and quite a few monos and endos) It's been looked after mechanically wise tho, fresh Motul 5100 and filter every 2,500kms, which is a bit of overkill, but I'm like that with my bikes! It hasn't missed a beat all it's life and is still going strong, they're a tough little bike! It's got Renthal bars, braided front line, Staintune exhaust and currently fitted with Dunlop GPR70SP's which are the stickiest tyres you can get for that bike. I'm looking at somewhere around 4 grand with new chain and sprockets and a service.

chadams
13-11-2004, 02:49 PM
VTR250 is probably the best naked bike out there that is learner legal. For 4 grand and 55 thou. Kms, your getting a pretty good deal, given that braided lines, pipe, tyres are going to set up back about a grand.

Its a great bike to learn to ride hard and fast in the twisties, riden well it will give the big bikes a run for there money up the old pac hwy.. enough chit chat from me back to the garage to do some more work on the bike.