PDA

View Full Version : Gauge time!

Slain
01-10-2004, 08:01 AM
Ok thanks to oz kat im upgrading my plans for the dashboard lol :P I;ve been scouring us ebay and have settled on one of the following dashboards:
02 ZX6R
03 GSXR750/600
03/4 R6
Now here come the questions!
1) Can they all be swaped from mph to kph?
2) How the fugg can i hook them up, i know the r6 takes the reading from the gearbox and would it involve a sensor such as the gsxr7/6?

I really want a small modern digital dash but have never bothered changing gauges on a bike so im a bit in over my head here.
Cheers for your help guys

J7-11
01-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Dunno if you can swap them from mph to kph in the read out, but you can get a little box from demon tweeks that converts from kmh to mph but that's like $100... you'd be way better off finding one that's in kmh in the first place...

I'd be inclined to get a honda one too, might make it easier for the install.

Also think about the rev limit, you'd want a tacho that reads similar, or lower than your current one, ie the limitir kicks in 2 grand into the red (would look cool).

If you want a set of GSXR ones, I know a guy with a set off a 1000, he gets on here but hasn't got net access... Contact me and I'll speak to him, see what they're going for and give you a better price.

As for getting it to work? Stuff knows!!! I'll have a look around tho...

J7-11
01-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Try this...

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=oilcooled&action=display&num=1086875778

I have seen something on the net on a 2-stroke 500 page about the conversion, but can't rememeber the address!

Gix11
01-10-2004, 01:02 PM
That was such a good reply that I am going to copy it over to here. This is the work of ZEDHEAD at OldSkoolSuzuki:

"Yup, you can do this, as various people have done to fit newer Bandit clocks, or Gixer Thou or R1 clocks. All you need to do is get hold of the sender unit that reads off the gearbox out put shaft, and then fit it to the output shaft on your bike. Sounds easy... it ain't.
You've got to get a sender that not only matches the clocks you want to fit but can be fitted to output shaft and inside sprocket cover. If it's one that has a sender that is bolted onto output shaft (like new Bandit I fink) then you'll need to drill the output shaft down the centre. Easy enough, but only if you've got the output shaft out so you can get it in a lethe to ensure the tapped hole you're making is central, and of course those output shafts are hard, very hard indeed.
It is possible but it also explains why so many people use either push bike speedos or the digi speedo/ tachos like wot UK Lee has..."

ozkat
05-10-2004, 08:37 PM
if the hardest thing to do is drill the output shaft square it shouldnt be too hard. most engineering shops should be able to drill the shaft while still on the bike

Slain
10-10-2004, 10:39 AM
ok so ive chanmged my mind again, 2 trains of thought.
cbr600rr gauges which may be difficult to do or standard cbr600 tacho and temp guage, led idiot lights and sigma pushy speedo modified to be back light.

J7-11
08-11-2004, 05:33 AM
Found that link, well it was posted up on Old Skool again...

http://www.suzuki-rg500.com/gsxr.htm

Slain
16-11-2004, 06:33 AM
well the newer gauges proved too difficult, the guy at my bike shop hooked me up with something different. its from KTM and is a digi speedo like a pushy one, the unit is $80 but the wiring kit is like $300 :( but you can wire it to your standard pushy setup off the front wheel so for $100 you get a new backlit digital speedo, i havent hooked it up yet so i havent found all the ufnctions but its the same unit as on the 990 duke like at the gold coast bike show

J7-11
16-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Is it kinda like a Trailtech Panoram???

Kenma have brought in that 'Veypor' thing too, heaps of cool functions but a tad bulky for my like, like 100mm x 70mm or something...

Slain
17-11-2004, 06:14 AM
aparently the veypors are piss weak too so i was worried about putting wheelies down a bit hard and the magnet doesnt stick to alloy sprockets very well

Slain
24-11-2004, 09:53 AM
j7-11: what does this trailtech panoram look like? i picked my speedo up today but with all the modes its going to take me ages to figure it out! aparently heaps of dirtb bikers use it it is set up for 21 inch wheels or 17 and has blue lighting option, i will try to get a photo up

Slain
24-11-2004, 09:58 AM
just looked up on the net, its nothign like it, its similar to a pushbike speedo but has a 'hood' which you can mount leds in

mark
25-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Howdy Slain

Dont know if its of any interest to you but there is a product that is avaliable through harley dealers that allows you to read the pulse of the motor? allowing you to put a digital speedo/ tacho say off an 04 R1, GSXR onto a n older anologue setup bike.
I noticed the product at Andersons Custom Cycles on the Gold Coast when I was at the motorcycle show. Maximum Products www.maximumproducts.net mentions it but im not too sure how it all works. Anyway let us know how it all goes.

Chaio