PDA

View Full Version : Hello and question

Slain
12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, im marc from the gold coast. always wanted to do a fighter and have now purchased a 92 cbr600f with no fairings and 22k on the clock (well techincally the clocks are smashed but oh well)
Anyway i really want to put a 03 r1 led tail end and subframe on it, the cbr has a welded frame so i want to hack this off and bin it, get an engineer to install the r1 frame making it bolt on in case i loop a wheelie or 3. Some people say yeh no problems, others say no chance in hell will cost a small fortune dont do it.
so regarding qld law:
1) can i get it engineered and when the bike is reg, get a mod plate (regarding structural strength etc)
2) is it worth it or do i 'modify' the standard subframe and keep it welded to accept the r1 tail end. if i loop it just get it rewelded on in a hush hush way.
Cheers

carter of mars
12-09-2004, 08:10 PM
hey,
yeah its easy. well on a gsxr anyway. im doing a similar job. putting a gsxr1000 tail on a gsxr7 90 model frame. you shouldnt need an engineer to do it for you. just a fabricating shop.
try reading the write up on oldskoolsuzuki.info in the 7/11 page, theres a section on doing this on gsxr's, its got heaps of pictures which may point you in the right direction
as for getting it registered, im not sure you HAVE to declare that you have modified the frame. the average petrol station rego place probably wont even notice. and if you get the job done properly you shouldnt have a problem.

ozkat
12-09-2004, 08:29 PM
gday, cut the old subframe off and get a qualified welder to weld tabs on your frame to accept the yammie subframe. then when you need rego go to RWC-R-US in southport-nerang rd behind cheapa auto spares he will check the basics of your bike and make sure everything works. then u have rego. no probs. ive been there a couple of times and is a nice bloke no hassles and will proberly do it on the spot. im not saying this because im involved with him in any way i dont even know his name. i wouldnt modify the standard subframe because once you get the plastics to fit the seat wont and the tail light wont and the underseat plastics wont and you wont ever be able to bolt one of those nice undertays to it either. not countong the cost of the new seat unit it shouldnt cost more than $100 to get it set up. but when you buy the tail unit buy everything subframe seat under tail plastics tail light wiring etc. it really is a quiet easy swap.

J7-11
16-09-2004, 09:19 PM
I'm with Carter, check out the artivle on Lee's 7/12 on the oldskoolsuzuki.info 7/11 pages, it's help you out heaps... I pretty much followed this when I did my subframe conversion (2001 GSXR 1000 onto '91 GSXR-750) and it looks a treat!

Gix11
17-09-2004, 02:32 PM
If you're like me and spent nearly half an hour trying to find that article on Oldskool Suzuki with no success, and then realised that it was the same article that Lee did in STREETFIGHTERS magazine, then I suggest you check this:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/bikes/subframe1.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/bikes/subframe2.jpg

This is a scan from the Streetfighters magazine Extreme Specials Guide 2004. I don't have permission from Streetfighters to use their material so if they read this I just want to say that everyone here should go out and buy STREETFIGHTERS magazine this month, next month and every month. (now, hopefully they won't kick my arse for using it!)

J7-11
24-09-2004, 11:30 AM
This may work...

http://www.oldskoolsuzuki.info/index.htm?patrick/articles/subframe_by_lee/index.htm~main

Slain
25-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Perfect, thank you very much! i'd actually been put off it but bugger it, its only going to have 3rd party insurance and that article has given me the confidence.
Now should i do a 600rr tail end or R1