PDA

View Full Version : stunters = dickheads?

el sammo
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
large varied range of personalities and riders here so i figured its the best place to ask,

whats youre general opinion on "stunters" and streetbike freestyle as a general sport?

bunch of attention seeking idiots that cant go around corners? or another enjoyable form of motorcycle control similar to trials? do you think the bikes are specaially built with care or just pieces of crap?

a lot of the stunter guys that went to AFR thought the SF guys were all crazy as so its interesting to see everyones perspective haha

stunting could be considered the bastard child of streetfighters in a lot of ways and many of you would have watched it grow, for better or worse over the past decade

just wondering on your opinions are, so fire away and dont be shy!

-Dex-
04-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Love the stunt riding and the vast majority of stunt dudes I've spoken to are cool as fuck.

Having said that, I think the sport has grown sufficiently in popularity now that it is starting to attract dickheads. I've met a couple of absolute fuckwits lately, calling themselves stunters, who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

As I said, most are cool as, and I definitely respect their skills and love watching them cut loose. I dabble in some of the basic shit but I would never call myself a stunter. My skills simply don't compare with my idea of what a "stunter" is.

Anyone who writes the scene off as "attention seeking idiots who can't go round corners" is just woefully ignorant and, at best, could only ever be referred to as a critic. And as we all know, there has never been a statue commemorating a critic. Fuck the haters.

rod185651
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Another enjoyable form of motorcycle control similar to trials and the bikes are specially built with care

I have nothing but respect for the skills you guys achieve through hours and hours of practise.

Nudie
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I think you guys are friggen awesome and wish I had what it takes to be able to do just a few stunts.
My only complaint- I cant afford more vids haha

Hillsy
05-08-2010, 06:34 AM
These guys are dickheads:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/frontlines/nycf/nycf-layout.html?width=1650&height=830

All the stunters I've met so far seem to be good people.

Fight_fan
05-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Yeh all the stunters I'v met have been top blokes with mad skills hey! Got nuthin but love for what u crazy kids do! Only wish I had the balls, n a bike I didnt care too much about to practice on myself! lol
Im with Rod, specially built with care n skilled control similar to trials!

kev@vcm
05-08-2010, 07:46 AM
comeing from the tupperware bikes my self im really impressed with what stunters can do with bikes , the hole tech side of being able to throw a bike around on either front or rear wheel is just nuts im really likeing it

rock hard
05-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey Sam,im going say that its the SKILL thats required which always gets me pumped, my favorite is the big fast feet up powerslides and the dab the foot in the back of the ute circle wheelies..fuckin tops.the only thing that makes me realy uncomfortable is two up stunts.

Chase
05-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Fkn hate those stunter guys!! Of course this hatred is based completely on the the fact that I don't have the skill or nerve to do it.. :(

Jup
05-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Indeed, I used to think I was cool as a kid when I did stuff like that on my pushbike. But I was young, and I bounced when I fell off back then.

How can anyone [i]not]/i] admire the courage, skill, and hours of practice that stunters put in on machines that most would struggle to lift, much less dance with?

KATO ZX7
05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I think stunters are awsome, they have alot of skill and nerve to do what they do.

My only complaint is with the odd few stunt vids that i have where the stunters have no helmets, jackets or even proper boots on.
That shits me to no end!! (sorry for this but its usually Americans)

Put you bloody safety gear on you nobjockeys!! Skin grafts hurt like hell!!

el sammo
05-08-2010, 01:00 PM
you guys are all really positive thats cool as, yes the lack of gear issue comes up a lot, im guilty of that one, stupidly its why im on the net right now instead of out riding while i wait to heal up.. fool

i think its only a very small part of the (brand new stock 1000) rider community that dislikes stunting but im alwasy interested to hear everyones opinions

also from a entertainment point of view do you think stunting has become too slow and controlled?? its getting faster lately again as it started getting too controlled to the point that it didnt have the same "risk of crash" factor there for a while

also rock hard says the 2 up stuff makes you uncomfortable? you mean you worry for the passanger if the rider crashes?

it is a different deal to risk someone else getting injured not just yourself for sure

and... what about street riding? do you think its a a bad thing if stunters move out of parking lots and take it to the streets?

Rocket
05-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Taking it to the streets is bad IMO.

The odd wheelie here and there is all part of a day's ride.
But doing stacks of rolling burnouts, stoppies and all that sort of carry on around town would just damage the reputation of not only stunters, but also bike riders in general.
The actions of a few could have a negative effect on many when it comes to police and public opinion.

I think stunting is an awesome sport, but like MX, it doesn't doesnt have a place on the roads.

I admire a stunters skills and the fact they put their bodies on the line in order to practice and perform.
Personally, i like all my limbs pointing in the right direction so stunting, like freestyle MX, will be enjoyed from the side lines by me.

But you guys rock IMO and I think motorcycling in general is far richer for having the stunt scene. I also think stunting is a bit of an underground part of motorcycling, which is the exact same thing that drew me to streetfighters.

I hope it lives forever.

Iceman
05-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I'll have a bet each way on this one. It would seem the guys I've met through here are pretty grounded, pleasant to talk to and fun to be around. But on the other hand I've also met some who think there shit doesn't stink.

Gitzy
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I love the stunters, the whole skill aspect and bike setup needs to be commended greatly.. kudos to everything involved with stunting awesome and enjoyable to watch. I remember watching and meeting Darius Khashabi and Tony D at Oran Park, top dudes promoting an awesome sport. But definitely no good on street, at all. Its not the place for it.. I also have to agree with Dex and Ice, I've met some great stunters happy as and down to earth but I've also met douche bags who have looked down upon me because I'm not like them or I'm just plain rubbish.. well fuck them and thumbs up to the good ones..

yoda
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Good question mate..
I think it's like any other part of society. I've met some great people through stunting, but also met quite a few wankers..
I love that stuntriding is where FMX was a few years ago- just seems to be waiting for a break into the mainstream.

quote:Originally posted by el sammo

also from a entertainment point of view do you think stunting has become too slow and controlled?? its getting faster lately again as it started getting too controlled to the point that it didnt have the same "risk of crash" factor there for a while

I do agree with this.. id rather watch the faster stuff, rather than endless circles and idle stuff. I think a good show would have a pretty even mix. But, appreciate the skill level in the slow stuff(i like it coz it hurts less falling off!). I think the danger is part of what makes stunting so entertaining.

el sammo
05-08-2010, 09:28 PM
hmm yeh i dont think stunting will ever go mainstream like FMX has, i like the underground scene

bluemk1
06-08-2010, 01:58 AM
have always admired stunters, well ever since i had watched my first christian pfiefer video.
not sure what all the new guys are about anymore but i remember christians vids and watching in amazment how anyone could do those things on a bike be it on two wheels or one.

as for street riding, im sure plenty of people would look down on my public riding so im the last one that should be commenting on this subject.
for example i had the same view as you did regarding that vid someone posted a week or so ago with guys riding through traffic.
have also ridden with plenty of stunters in my time so know whats involved in going for a 'cruise' through the cbd :D

as for the comment of not being able to ride corners, all the stunters i know took the sport up after deciding to slow down on the road. one was an amature ex racer. so i doubt they cant handle a few twisties [:p]

scotty
06-08-2010, 07:41 AM
i fuckn hate the way they ware caps! no the whole gansta thing, pull up ya pants, put ya hat on proply, and stop all the homy shit, stunters have got awsom skills but some should just go live with the seppos

el sammo
06-08-2010, 07:40 PM
you mean the australian stunters? i wear a flat cap haha i just think it looks cool

i do see some of the younger guys puttin it on a bit, i think it comes from them lookin up to the american riders so trying to emulate them in there own stlye a little

most of the "gangsta" speak is just jokin around

ALBI
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
i fucking love you guys !!i love the fact that a bike can do a gracefull ballet dance then go into a powerslide then ....well you get the picture

Yella
11-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Most stunters I have spoken/ riden with are cool but like any group of people you get dicks (I'm the best, you can't rock the shit I do etc) and key board stunters are sweet as.
Stunting on the street is fine I have been guilty of practice/playing on rides but as with everything you must pick your place rolling burnouts past a school 3pm probably not the best idea but generally all is good.
The "gangster" style talk/dress is fine with me my prefered music choice is Hip Hop and it tends to go with it even though it can get over the top ;)
Not trying to turn pro stunter but I would love to be more involved with stunting the only reason I have not purchase a dedicated stunter and put in some real effort into practice (read falling over) is I don't have the time to put into it or know the people to get into safe (from cop's) practice area's. Look at it in the same fashion as doing track days with a dedicated track bike

NoZ
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm new on the scene.. I take stunting pics. Did a load at Streetfighter Stuntfest at Wembley and they were all cool, nice bikes and wicked skills. I've no doubt there are some right tossers out there - but that's true in all walks of life.

I'm www.sparkystunts.com photographer and that guy has skill. You liked the Melandri powerslide, I get to photograph that. Cool stuff.

el sammo
12-08-2010, 01:58 AM
cool stuff noz, yeh sparky is a drift demon huh! havnt really met and UK stunters yet they should come over to oz for a holiday or soemthing

bluemk1
12-08-2010, 06:52 PM
el sammo, dont suppose you know of anyone in australia that has a wheelie simulator like on sparky's site?
im too much of a softcock to attempt to learn it on the road

el sammo
13-08-2010, 01:07 AM
no one as yet, has been plans to build them but the roller design is kinda tricky, need sort of a like dyno brake setup

there more of a money maker for events they dont really simulate any required skills very well, get a cheap dirtbike or a z50 to learn in youre backyard, good fun. Mountainbikes are great too

bluemk1
13-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Mountainbikes are great too

last time i rode a pushie probably more than 10yrs ago now i could wheelie that all day. im just not sure what to do with the gas and the clutch [:o)]

BossMan
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
always loved stunters as a teen all i could do on a bike was out wheelie everyone in town and stand on the seat. to fat to race all the other kids plus the xl 175 was slow as. really love watching stunters fall off to.

g man
25-01-2011, 10:49 AM
respect to the stunters balls of steel,more guts then a sumo and better balance then a tight rope walkers

scotty
25-01-2011, 11:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Iceman

I'll have a bet each way on this one. It would seem the guys I've met through here are pretty grounded, pleasant to talk to and fun to be around. But on the other hand I've also met some who think there shit doesn't stink.

nail on the head mayor awesome,
the guys on here are.
just stop riding with no gear. PESH.
while im at it can ya pull ya pants up,and where ya hat proper.

Jockney Rebel
25-01-2011, 03:40 PM
stunting to me represents the birth of another skillfull sport [and i like the trails-like example ] as usual it gets its fair share of bad press but i liken it to branstorming 70years ago where guys would jump in a bi plane and do nutcase stunt flyin ..same kind of balls out mentality which is hard for the beaurocrats to get their heads round

pm80
26-01-2011, 10:37 PM
A skillful sport for sure. The people who do it are clearly mental... If I wasn't such a pussy I would give it a go, I would then fall off, crack my head open, then realise how skillful it really is. Hats off to the guys!

pesh
27-01-2011, 11:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty

quote:Originally posted by Iceman

nail on the head mayor awesome,
the guys on here are.
just stop riding with no gear. PESH.
while im at it can ya pull ya pants up,and where ya hat proper.

Awww c'mon scotty [:p] i rarely ride with no gear . and if im ridng in a tshirt i have my gear on : back protector arm guards and a helmet . unless its idle stuff sometimes i dont wear a lid [:o)] woopsy i guess thats what ur having a dig at .. Havent done that for quite a while now . sorry mate hahah

RevHead
28-01-2011, 06:42 AM
stunters are just unreal,as chase said ,,more talent then ive got,ive done the odd wheelie and stoppy,but all the other tricks- well out of my reach of skills,

scotty
28-01-2011, 08:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by pesh

Awww c'mon scotty [:p] i rarely ride with no gear . and if im ridng in a tshirt i have my gear on : back protector arm guards and a helmet . unless its idle stuff sometimes i dont wear a lid [:o)] woopsy i guess thats what ur having a dig at .. Havent done that for quite a while now . sorry mate hahah
i know just thought i'd metion it...(just scabbin up on my arm now[:I])

Ride4life
17-02-2011, 02:12 PM

you mean the australian stunters? i wear a flat cap haha i just think it looks cool

I wear a flat cap too, but yeah a few people go over the top.
I reckon stunting is an amazing sport and much respect for the skills these guys have. I look forward to the day when I can do that stuff.

Definitely shouldn't hit the streets (well, no more than a little wheelie or something) as it'd probably give everyone a bad name and in some cases could be quite dangerous to public.

High speed stuff is very impressive, but I would say full protective gear and you'd wanna know how to fall safely =/
I saw a vid on youtube of Craig Jones doing some 150m+ stoppie at some crazy speed and thought geez he's got balls but if he came off...

Overall a great scene though, love it!!:D

Ride4life
17-02-2011, 02:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by yella

The "gangster" style talk/dress is fine with me my prefered music choice is Hip Hop and it tends to go with it even though it can get over the top ;)
Not trying to turn pro stunter but I would love to be more involved with stunting the only reason I have not purchase a dedicated stunter and put in some real effort into practice (read falling over) is I don't have the time to put into it or know the people to get into safe (from cop's) practice area's. Look at it in the same fashion as doing track days with a dedicated track bike

I absolutely agree! I love Hip-Hop too.
I'm looking at getting a stunt bike and practicing, but as you said, it is quite hard to find a good safe place.
I don't know why America seems to have all these 200x200m carparks in the middle of absolute nowhere with not a house in sight lol