PDA

View Full Version : wanted old car

ALBI
06-06-2010, 03:03 PM
hey boys and gals im after an old car to hack up must be either of these
1/ xt,xr,xw,xy
2/lj,lc
im going to cut of the front behind the b pillar.
so one that is crashed is purfect will not go on to raod its for my bar!!! so when its done i can host a bar warming piss up!! for all the novacastrians to get together!!

RevHead
06-06-2010, 05:27 PM
i got an lx torana you can cut up and all front panels ,cheers

Zooks
06-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Old Falcons getting too rare to cut up now Albi. I've got an XR ute that I'll certainly not park outside your place.

BANDITROD
06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
my old mans got an xr ute aswell zooks its in need of a rebuild and would rather see some holdens get cut up aswell

06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Chase up a fibreglass replica. Lots of drag racers use a one piece front clip.

fimpBIKES
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
bbq?

ALBI
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
revheadpete i like it can you send me some pics ?? condition not a prob
zooks come on mate !! you can trust me not to cut it up !"well only if you leave it here".
banditrod so would i mate!!
playswithnitro it wouldnt be the right way for me to do it as the engine bay is the bar and i want to deck the inside with my ps2.
please dont forget boys i might be a bike loving freak but i am a mechanic to!! i only want to cut up an falcon if it is written off as in beond repair.

revhead pete i would love cut up a lx and paint in brockys colour scheme ,tori's have the best engine bay for a bar the chassis rail to inner gaurd is purfect for a bench top and i want to recess the fridge into the left hand side of firewall.

Docktor
07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
got a coupla spare xcs but would make a bloody long bbq.

JackTar
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Any of your falcons on gas Doc? If so how do they run?

ALBI
07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
hey doctor wat condtion is the front end in my mate does interceptor replicas and a nose cone for it would be easy as shit for me to get !
a piece from here
a piece from there
youve seen it
youve heard it
and youre still asking questions!
when do we go for a ride
!

Docktor
07-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Jacktar , I may be many things but I refuse to murder a v8 with death by gas mate.... My truck however ,yep.
ALBI : I have no spare coupes to do a mad max. I would however turn one of the 4 doors into a march hare mfp.

Zooks
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey fella, hey fella stop!

What a turkey.

Hey fella, you're a turkey, you know that?

Docktor
07-06-2010, 08:43 PM
there is a z owner member with a jimmy goose replica somewhere in Melb, aint seen it in a while tho.

Weaselman
07-06-2010, 10:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Any of your falcons on gas Doc? If so how do they run?

Same as anything on gas. Like shit.
you loose 15% or more in some cases on power. Goes through gas faster than fuel and it fucks out your heads through valve seat recession.

Zooks
07-06-2010, 11:08 PM
LPG can be very good if set up properly. I've driven (and owned) some very nice gas setups. Dual fuel sucks, you need to go 100% gas and have the head built well to begin with. IMHO

KATO ZX7
09-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Id rather have dollar notes fly out of my exhausts then put my V8 on gas.

ALBI
09-06-2010, 06:44 PM
hey kato you would be mad not to run on lpg!
there is to many myths with lpg these days my 3.5lt rangie was on straight lpg ,i ran 18 deg static timming got better millage than petrol !
yes you do need to run hardend valve seats but only when the heads pack it in and it gets a bit harder to tune when used as dual fuel with carbies as the lpg dries out the diaphrams on the carbie but these days we have efi and it is purfect compramise. to be hounest if you have dual fuel and car goes like shit ,go to an other mechanic as he doesnet know wat he is doing point blank!!!!!!!!!
advantage of lpg also is you can run higher compression and more timming + more power for less money via cost at pump.

Zooks
10-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Agree Albi. LPG is the ducks nuts if it's done properly. I've even seen LPG V8's show up at the street drags and pull respectable times.

Weaselman
10-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Its all well andgood to have a straight gas car... Till your out where you can get lpg. And there are still many stations that dont have it out in the country.

Id rather keep my boot space and just keep off the loud pedal

pappas
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
There is a XR6 turbo running DI Gas and has well over 300RWKW.

ALBI
10-06-2010, 05:45 PM
weaselman put it this way if you own a v8 and worried about fuel consumption and klms out of a tank !!
sell the bloody thing and get back on the bike

ALBI
15-06-2010, 05:30 PM
hey pete have you got the pics of the lx yet??

Redmohawk
15-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I've been driving straight LPG cars from 4 cyl to V8 for 20 years , highest output was a 2L 6cyl turboed with good gas carb making about 250 rwkw. The only difference between running your V8 on gas to current unleaded as far as valve resesion is if you use premium 98RON stuff and it still isnt as good as leaded so valves are going to eating seats no matter what you do . Any half decent head reco mob will put in hard jobbies for you anyhow.

If you really want balls to the wall grunt, Grab your prefered V8 of choice bump compresion up to 12 to 1 regraph dizzy to a gas friendly ramp and drop an injection manifold and liquid injection onto it , Same economy/milage as Petrol (proven!) same power output (proven) no stink and 57 cents a litre atm here ! Best part is the gov will give you 2 grand to do it, and you can get all the bits second hand make your own injection computer and do the whole job for under $2,000 if you can find a LPG installer to sign it off for you. I made a profit on the last install lol

ALBI
15-06-2010, 06:26 PM
me here you on that mate i did the same and came out $1700 in front !!
thank you mr howard

timbo
15-06-2010, 07:12 PM
The gas rebate is now $1700 and next year it will be $1500 and it will keep going this way until it reaches $1000 when it will be caned all together
I put my VL on gas and it was the best thing i ever did. I was doing about 800 to 1000 km a week for work so i was a bit of a no brainier, 100 usable litres at 57c a litre so $57 a tank for 700 to 750 km. because the vls are injected there was no real difference in power. I would like to put the new gen3 wagon on gas with liquid injection but for $6000 without the rebate i find it a bit hard to justify considering it only dose about 400 km a month. There just my 2c

JackTar
15-06-2010, 07:27 PM
The thing is though Timbo when the government started doing the rebate for gas most of the gas conversions went up in price by pretty much the same amount, however as it goes down the price of the conversions do not. Same as the solar panel debacle.

Docktor
15-06-2010, 07:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

I've been driving straight LPG cars from 4 cyl to V8 for 20 years , highest output was a 2L 6cyl turboed with good gas carb making about 250 rwkw. The only difference between running your V8 on gas to current unleaded as far as valve resesion is if you use premium 98RON stuff and it still isnt as good as leaded so valves are going to eating seats no matter what you do . Any half decent head reco mob will put in hard jobbies for you anyhow.

If you really want balls to the wall grunt, Grab your prefered V8 of choice bump compresion up to 12 to 1 regraph dizzy to a gas friendly ramp and drop an injection manifold and liquid injection onto it , Same economy/milage as Petrol (proven!) same power output (proven) no stink and 57 cents a litre atm here ! Best part is the gov will give you 2 grand to do it, and you can get all the bits second hand make your own injection computer and do the whole job for under $2,000 if you can find a LPG installer to sign it off for you. I made a profit on the last install lol

Hmmm. I have 3 grand sittin here, take my falcon , do all that stuff and hand it back to me with the same or better performance.... I wouldnt be able to throw new slugs in my engine for under 1K

timbo
15-06-2010, 08:04 PM
quote:The thing is though Timbo when the government started doing the rebate for gas most of the gas conversions went up in price by pretty much the same amount, however as it goes down the price of the conversions do not. Same as the solar panel debacle.

Yep 100% correct mate

Redmohawk
15-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Jacktar , timbo , shits you dont it ! Pisses me off more that we export our lpg to china at 5cent a litre at the moment and i'm paying 59 cents lol Mind you I bought $5000 worth of solar pannels (normal reatil price) for $1000 from china so it all comes out in the end i guess.

Dock if you want to convert a car I'll help you with any info you need, its easy as once you know how, just like rebuilding a set of bike carbs, once you've done it once and understand the principals its dead easy. I put up a post in tech/advice line and can help if someone wants info.

Docktor
15-06-2010, 11:35 PM
i am sill of the opinion putting a v8 on lpg is the height of disrespect for a good motor. I know its true advances have been made since crank and hope the airbox dont explode lpg, but I cant bing myself to do it im afraid

Redmohawk
16-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I look at it like this , lpg has a lower specific energy density than petrol (less bank per kilo) so technically it should always make less power than petrol and get worse fuel economy because of that , also its stored under pressure (about 150psi on average) so must be more dangerous to right? Well alcohol (methanol) has a lower specific energy than petrol and LPG to and with the right setup can make considerably more power than petrol (granted at a burn rate of 2L for every one of petrol) and it burns with an almost clear flame so is had to see in a fire. Both petrol and alcohol ignight at a much lower temp than gas and have a lower flash point.

Gas is no better or worse than petrol or alcohol for all things power economy and general safety , you just have to set your motor to what you wana run. On your bike if you tune it to run on premium and feed it trash petrol it will run like a pig same deal really. Only thing is if you do set it to run right on gas you can go twice as far for the same money, or even better twice as fast the same distance lol