PDA

View Full Version : GermanStyle Tail Unit- take 2

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 05:18 AM
ok, lets try again shall we [}:)]

here is how it stands now
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/TAILfitting1130no_cans.JPG
as i worked out b4 the 1130 is probably a bit too much angle, and the whole thing needs to come down about 20mm for the seat and 60mm forward once i cut it to match the tank

no fugly suzuki cans on the zorst!!! as requested

where the flange for the cans is now is probably where the supertrapps will end up (or around that area anyways)

i went down an saw rupes and sentinel on the weekend, he had a sweet way of doing the subrame that made it look like its "floating" (no need to use the standard-style rectangular tubes cos u use a sneaky mofo little plate instead ;))

but i dont think it will work on the TLR cos of how the suspension is all cramped up [xx(]

i have all the old info on the work computer, will upload it when i head over, bloody terrorists.....

03gixxerpilot
05-01-2006, 05:48 AM
dosent look to bad, u still need to work out length, height, and angle of exhust, weather or not u goin to have a hugger on the swing arm,etc, all these can make a daffrence and change the look alot, for good and for bad

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 06:30 AM
yeah most probably run it with no hugger or chaingaurd

i can make the zorst to suit, it'll need custom mid-pipes anyways
mainly want to make sure she likes up with the frame

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 06:31 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/OSS Tail Style Guide.JPG

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 06:33 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/guide2.JPG

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 06:34 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/guide3.JPG

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 06:35 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/guide4.JPG

03gixxerpilot
05-01-2006, 02:13 PM
hey Fimp, Its your bike and what you think looks good is what you go with, One of the fighter styles is to have very short tail and to tave the tail sit very high

Gix11
05-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Fimp. I'm interested in seeing what this idea Rupe had for a subframe that you mention in the first post up there. What's this plate idea? Got a sketch you can scan and show us?

03gixxerpilot
05-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Fimp check this link out tail is little higher and shorter then what would be so called normal, yet not as extreme as some i have seen. http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=807

03gixxerpilot
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/index.htm?patrick/projects/mike/index.htm~main
Also have a look at this one

03gixxerpilot
05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/index.htm?patrick/shows/sot2005/triker/index.htm~main
and one more

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 04:35 PM
cheers i'll check the links now

im not sure if rupes thing will work on anything other than a TLs cos it uses the thru-bolts that hold the shock and rotary damper on

i shall try a sketch gimme a minute...

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 04:51 PM
wow, look at that gixxer on OSS!!!!
bloody SHARP looking, and all the molding an glasswork he has done OMG

i like his little subframe too, more traditionally styled but nice
i like how on the gixxer u cant see it (has that floating look)

tails bloody short though!! :D

some nice fighters on that last link,
although some of the tails look kinda "wrong" like this one....
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/index.htm?patrick/shows/sot2005/triker/index.htm~main

mmm, dont the old gixxer look nice with the "long and low" tail

thanks for the links 03gix
i might get some shots from other angles and post em up
that side view is without a doubt the WORST angle for the tail i got

03gixxerpilot
05-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Cant wait to see them, remember that its your bike and so long as you get the look you want and are happy with it that is all that matters.

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah, but there is nothing like a few sets of fresh eyes

any help is really appreciated, im an engineer u see
so all this arty stuff is a bit foreign :D

Gix11
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Fimp, as far as I'm concerned mate your 1110 height image has got it spot on. Consider some wide arse kicked up bars and maybe something like one of those german style mask headlight units at the same angle as the top of the tank and you got some nice geometry going on. Being white in the prototype stage is making the tail stand out even more, once its black as well it won't seem "as" prominent. Also allow for the fact that 9 times out of 10 that your bike is seen, it will have you on it so the tail will be down further again. This is one thing to consider from the start - do you want it to look better stood by itself or with you on it? When I put my R1 end on I thought it was pretty high, but once my fat arse gets on it she sinks quite a bit. Consequently, I like the look of it when no ones on it.

oh, and I'm a graphic designer, so between the two of us we should have it sorted!

stevo
05-01-2006, 07:52 PM
one of the difficult things with any custom work is gettin it to flow....

the tail unit style you're looking at is deliberately opposed to the idea of flow ... it's an in ya face, fuck the establishment sort of anti style, style

I like a flow from front to back where your eyes don't focus on anything particular but it just looks right .... this is damn difficult to achieve and some styles, such as the euro tail up style are totally opposed to the idea of flow..

this is a streetfighter forum after all ... and streetfighter is about in ya face .... so go for it....

personally I like lean, mean and black ... sort of an anti style from doin too many pretty and busy custom jobs for customers over the years..

Gix11
05-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Look at the gixer above again and how flat the tank looks - this is why the german styles look a bit bent sometimes with the flat tank and a full on kick up tail. Your tank slopes down and gives the whole look an evil raging bull look. Fuckin' great! Even a belly pan might give it more weight in the angle.

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 09:45 PM
im thinking about a pan...
http://www.gemo-fighters.de/GFK-Seiten/Bugspoiler%20Destroyer.html

but maybe later ;)

im just letting the batteries in the camera charge some, then i get more pics up
i might commit and do some cutting to match the tank profile on saturday, then i should be able to get a better idea of mounting points and stuff

fimpBIKES
05-01-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/IMG_3101.jpg
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/IMG_3102.jpg
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/IMG_3103.jpg
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/IMG_3104.jpg

i have the protapers ready to go, its just going to be quicker to use the clip-ons for the moment (im not a huge fan, more of a dirtbiker really [^])

good news is that rupes put me onto a blue-slip guy in sydney who should pass her, unlike the ignorant boneheads in newy....

03gixxerpilot
05-01-2006, 10:44 PM
;) good stuff and good news

fimpBIKES
07-01-2006, 06:13 PM
did a bit of hacking today (weapon of choice, dremel with little buzzsaw attachment :D)
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/IMG_4620.jpg

so thats got it up to the tank, now all i gotta do is drop it down a bit
almost there

fimpBIKES
07-01-2006, 06:29 PM
or maybe not... the lower edge looks pretty good there

03gixxerpilot
07-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Fimp thats looking realy good, keep up the good work,and keep the pics coming.

fimpBIKES
07-01-2006, 06:38 PM
my arms are itchy :D

your all over this topic 03gix
i here i was thinking i was just talking to meself :)

stevo
07-01-2006, 06:39 PM
that lower edge where the seat goes follows from the frame pretty well .... lookin good

with ya supertrapps are they gonna sit under the bike or are ya gonna try and bring them up at the same angle as the back of the tail piece ..... that'll give it something to tie into as you don't have any other angle on the bike that come close to that unit .... but then again, as I said before it's a sorta anti establishment style..

fimpBIKES
07-01-2006, 08:07 PM
thats a GREAT idea stev0!!!!

i had wanted the trapps to point up, like that green thing in streetfighters a few months back
might have to mod the ends of the yoshi headersa to do it but SHITYEAH!!!

group hug? :)

07-01-2006, 09:54 PM
bring on the lesbians for a big bonnet lickin session

stevo
07-01-2006, 11:23 PM
the trick to any sort of custom work is to get it to flow...

if ya can't get a good flow then create one ..... ya do that by running a few things on the same lines so ya create a seperate flow line ... then you can have a couple of different lines on the bike but sorta works together...

I've tried ta get this thru to the Harley crowd for years ... your eyes should just flow from the front to the back and continue ... if something jumps out at you it's because it's wrong or doesn't flow .... the whole package should fit together such that nothing stands out by itself...

unfotunately you've picked a doozy of a design and "normal" flow lines don't work per se.....

So lookin at it the only thing I can see that will tie it in is to bring ya mullfers up at the same angle as the back and/or a heavy stripe if ya fit a fairing lower ... another thing that may help in the overall picture is to have the headlight cowl at the same angle as the tail peice... this ties the back into the front...
Although I'm not sure what ya had in mind for a headlight unit

EXBEN
07-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Looks like you've got it all ASSED UP Fimp......HA HA HA HA
Tip of the day: For fiberglass itch Have a [u]hot</u> shower(better than cold) & scrub with lots of SOLVO.

stevo
07-01-2006, 11:34 PM
just had a look at the pics again..... the last one follows the line off the bottom of the tank to the seat part of the tail piece .... good..

Did you make the tail piece yourself???? and can you make a mini fairing/headlight cowl of a similar design .. ie: the two pronged effect .... 'cos if you make a headlight cowl of the same design and have it at the same angle it will look fucken shit hot and finish it off ..... you'll may need two headlights to follow that theme thru too or a single one that's sort of angular will work too
that with the supertrapps at the same angle will make it look "right"

it's these little things that make the difference between a fucken great lookin custom bike and something that looks like it's been thrown together from the specials bin at the wreckers....

If ya hadda taken some desgin classes instead of MA201 it woulda made it easier ;)

08-01-2006, 08:44 AM
That tail units a 'Destroyer' unit from a German compnay. There's a corresponding belly pan for it, but the headlight unit is a Gothic Head type thing (Check out Angry Guys site). There's also a front mudguard which looks like two Scythe blades.

fimpBIKES
08-01-2006, 09:00 AM
yeah its from Gemo in germany, bought through angry cos germans dont know about credit cards yet [:P]

definitely rule out the idea of the strip on the lower fairing, cos thats all the fairings she is getting!! :)

im not a big fan of the other destroyer items, they seem a bit much
i want a bike, not a DEMON
maybe the belly pan, but im not forking out for it just yet

headlight wise there are still a few options there too
either the busa light, the modified R1 pocket bike one (which is a bit more angular) or perhaps these raptor lights if i can make them look decent

but there wont me much of a front cowl to speak of, just the light at this stage

i actually took an industrial design course one semester to learn how to vacuum form and stuff :D

stevo
08-01-2006, 09:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

That tail units a 'Destroyer' unit from a German compnay. There's a corresponding belly pan for it, but the headlight unit is a Gothic Head type thing (Check out Angry Guys site). There's also a front mudguard which looks like two Scythe blades.

Ahhhh .. I see.... the belly pan may help tie it in but probably not 'cos that would maybe only give the theme without the lines...

or as far as the headlight thing goes if ya can't do it yaself Exben may be able to..

That's only my way of doin things tho ..... other people will probably have differing views .. but ya asked for opinions ;)[8D]

fimpBIKES
08-01-2006, 09:13 AM
yeah, actually i have been trying to find somewhere to buy a little projector beam from
you know stev0, the size of the one on the left of the cyclops?

EXBEN
08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah I got them Fimp, Lens & globe (downlight) no housing $40 incl postage.

Tone
08-01-2006, 11:13 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/20100_0092.jpg
Any tips or opinions on this piece of tail guys?I like the way it still looks GSXR but I want to keep some sort of pillion seat as the boy would be heartbroken if he couldn't come for a ride.
Exben...any help with its viability and manufacture?
The subframe has not been changed (photoshop wise!) only the tail pieces trimmed down.Cheers.

Tone
08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Shit!!! Sorry,forgot to shrink it down a bit&gt;

Gix11
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
You've been doing some serious photoshop work there mate. It looks like you have a glass fairing on the front now. Nice.Where's the pillion seat in this mock up Tone?

Tone
08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah Gix,just tried to invisiblise (?) the top fairing plastic as it was too distracting while looking at the overall bike...left the clear bit behind (with mirror).As for the pillion seat...well he's only 7 so the smallest of seat pads under the top part of the rear plastic would be enough hopefully.Having a detachable seat cover something like those available for the full size seat.

BOHEMION
08-01-2006, 12:33 PM
if its practicallity your after then maybe a unit from a Daytona 955 or a 1200 Bandit unit, But if its abit of both prac and sportss and you want to spend abit then maybe a K6GSXR750seat unit, Even an R1/R6 unit would give you both those options.

Tone
08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
This is it Boh,I'm after some practicality but would like to keep that basic GSXR tail shape,just shorter and slimmer.There are heaps of good looking tail ends but I personally couldn't live with the extreme look that Fimp is putting together there.I think the K2 rear looks good on a slingshot and I'm a big fan of the seat unit on that busa of Dodges.Better graft that on with the photoshop first and see how it looks.
Cheers

BOHEMION
08-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Mate I have connected alot of units to bikes using photo shop and Paint pro elements (.RAW) to get the best looking fighter. only thing is i never take a pillion. But what i always look for, is that the seat unit matches the lines of the tank. thats my main concern. if the tank and seat look corrct together then you make it happen. Cause you have along round tank i would go for a shorter but round tail section. And too me the best unit would be the Daytona 955. Ive seen these in wreckers. It has a really good tail light set up and looks clean and gives you that practical sports tourer use. It is also very comfortable.

BOHEMION
08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/Daytona9554.jpg

fimpBIKES
08-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Exben, are they like the ones on Judge?

if so i'll take one!!!
all u have on the site is discs and triples?

EXBEN
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah Fimp same same.
Sorry, site needs updating & I need more time.
Cheers

EXBEN
08-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Send us a PM with your details fimp.

Gix11
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Ben - let me at it.......
(Oh, you have mail by the way)

dRRew
09-01-2006, 01:37 PM
fimp that tail is looking sweet as in the last mock up. stevo ur advice is unreal, ive saved this whole thread for my future reference. cheers lads

Deano
09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
i think you got it about right there fimp
good to see

fimpBIKES
09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
dont worry dRRew,
im planning to write it all up and throw it into a pdf as a guide thingy
there a few in-between kinda photos in there that i have left out, will go in the final write-up

u are still planning to have guides off the homepage gix??

Tone
09-01-2006, 06:33 PM
"u are still planning to have guides off the homepage gix??"

christ I hope so...they're a big help and a great read!

Gix11
09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Yea mate. I have a few on their way already. Deano's 7/11 conversion will be up soon. Oz's Trubo might have taken a back seat but I'll get something out of the "Tassie Trader" soon, I'm sure. I'm going to do a few simple cosmetic things as well. So keep 'em coming boys. You get full credit and a page of all your hard work for everyone to see.

dRRew
09-01-2006, 07:25 PM
by the time im outa the wheelchair its possible that i'll have polished 2 whole bikes so i could start writing the novel on that...

Gix11
09-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Do it mate. I'll stick it up.

fimpBIKES
09-01-2006, 10:04 PM
mmm, need to even things up a bit
she's a bit un-even...

i have now added a "centreline" to help me line things up right
i took it off and did that and now the front seems to have dropped itself for me??
i like when that happens!!

i should note that the actual casting is a bit off too, not exactly symmetrical....

cammy9r
16-01-2006, 05:37 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/34915623983534.JPG
hi, i too used the guide lines in the OSS webpage. I tried to keep all the lines flowing to the rear at a focus point. The green lines are the subframe and the blue line flows from the focus point through the line of the engine(head gasket) and ends where i stopped the fender sides. The pink line failed to follow this route as it seemed that the belly pan looked better when meeting with the engine at that point. The forward slope of the tank is the same as the forward slope on the seat and the seat hump (well as best as i could manage). The over all tail height was just enough to cover the full suspension travel of the rear shock as i wanted a flush under tray.
The headlight i wanted closer and lower on the forks but this proved to be impractical as i needed the space for the zx10r digi speedo clock and the aim of the headlight beam must be within a predetermined parameter set out by our vehicle laws in the UK (MOT)
I have shortened my micron but will need to bend the link pipe to suit the new subframe angle.
The bike is no way finished yet so if anybody has some ideas i would be glad to hear them.

Just in case the bike is a kwak zx9r 'e' model. The panels are all hydrids that I have made, with exception to the headlight which is German made called a Devil 666. I have done the frame in satin black. Now I just need to find a colour scheme i like and paint it.

Any body colour coded their engine? Here in the uk all the high temp engine paints are crap colours (flat red/blue/gold/black). A lot of the pics i have seen look like the engines were done in standard 2K (two pack) acrylic. Any idea how well this works?
thanks.

EXBEN
16-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Cammy I've painted plenty of motors in 2k & it work fine.So let your imagination run wild.

03gixxerpilot
16-01-2006, 11:35 AM
just painted the 03 gixxer motor satin black to keep in the all black theme on it, there were a lota other collours there to use and all from brand that i've ued on car engines relialably. Go for it

fimpBIKES
16-01-2006, 11:45 AM
when i swapped out the motor on the SV in november the earlier model motor i got is a dark charcoal colour,
looks MUCH better with the black bike (old motor was raw ally)

i think your bellypan works anyways cos it sort of curves around in a mirrored kinda way to the top of the tank (did that make sense??)

anyways, lets see some more pics :D

Mr711
23-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Hi Guys,

Just dropping in for a moment as I'm allways pleased to see some people making use of articles I write.
I see it's been of good use as the two bikes pictured here sure look great!

Keep up the good work guys!

Mr.7/11

fimpBIKES
23-01-2006, 07:08 AM
thanks,
your article has really helped me out

probably would have put it on backwards without it :D

cammy9r
23-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Yes, thanks mr 7/11.
The 9r is my 1st fighter project and the the guide really helped me to get started.

ozkat
23-01-2006, 07:13 PM
WOW!!! Mr.7/11 is here!!!! Quick someone lay down the red carpet. Maybe Mr.7/11 could post a couple of pics of his 7/11 and Katana.

Mr711
23-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, but I wasn't intending to stay very long. But I'll try to visit more often in the future as there's lot of nice projects on here that I'll never see if I stay inside OSS territory ;)

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/patrick/projects/gsxr711f/images/clinkleft.jpg

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/patrick/projects/katana/fall_2005/images/Katana%20Fall%202005%20026.jpg

fimpBIKES
23-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Dear Mr Devil

i would like to trade my measley dirty little soul for the FUCKING HORNY BLACK KAT!!!!!
thank you

ps- can santa bring me a few tissues for xmas this year [8)]

Gix11
23-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Had a few more "how to" things sent to me. Also I have just done a remote ignition one (thanks to Ben for recommending products). Cheers 7/11 by the way. If anyone else has anything to add, keep on sendin' 'em......

crazymofo
23-01-2006, 09:49 PM
gix.. i think ive taken enough pics so far of the turbo install, so what i'll do is write one up on my install.. maybe the subframe and the rear end conversion too. they'd prolly be more of a general "guide" sorta thing tho, as my build isnt exactly in the S/F mould :P

cheers.joe.

FIMP.. GOT ANY NEW PICCIES?

fimpBIKES
24-01-2006, 06:18 PM
still as it was, need to steal a car to go pic
up my Tig...

fimpBIKES
03-03-2006, 11:05 PM
oops, i have hardly touched the tiller since late january :(

quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

Dear Mr Devil

i would like to trade my measley dirty little soul for the FUCKING HORNY BLACK KAT!!!!!
thank you

ps- can santa bring me a few tissues for xmas this year [8)]

anyways, i think i may have gotten my wish
freaky eh??

fimpBIKES
13-06-2006, 12:04 AM
hi all,

im still waiting to get my Tig from my mate...

anyways, i picked up some M14 rodends the other day for the lower support rods
im probably going to use 20mm ally round for that approximately 175mm long to start with

just holding things off til after i have the basic version of the tiller rego'd
as it now has the stock rear end on (mainly so im not tempted to do the new subframe :D)

dont give up hope, its all still on the cards

veetwo tls
16-06-2006, 08:16 PM
its looking good fimp [8D]

sluglie
16-06-2006, 11:13 PM
i dont understand all this, the only question you should be asking is

'am i happy with it'

and if you are then tell the rest of the world to get fucked.

this is street fighterin' not fuckin architecture